• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think Sea of Thieves might be one of their biggest successes to date? More than 8 million people played it, it has had continued support for more than a year from 100+ developers and it put Xbox Game Pass on the map.

Nov 18, 2017
All I want from Rare is a new Viva Pinata that I can play both on my Xbox/PC & Mobile (or thinking about it now, hell even switch)

Make it a GaaS but i feel like F2P mechanics could so easily destroy what made Viva Pinata special, but if MS can get that game into the hands of girls on mobile i think it would finally find its audience.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Nah, I think there is always going to be some level of bias, especially as Nintendo and Xbox gamers are oftentimes pretty distinctly different types of fans. The amount of hate Nuts & Bolts gets (usually from people that never played it) is genuinely absurd. People also act like their mostly great Game Boy Advance titles do not count and forget that they had huge investments in stuff like the Xbox Avatar system too.

In terms of raw talent the writing was on the wall before they even left Nintendo. Tons of people had left by the time Perfect Dark had launched, Star Fox Adventures I think is easily one of their worst games and I could complain for days about how bloated and messy Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are. They had pretty significantly changed by the time Microsoft bought them.

It feels like the team behind Rare of old was kind of lightning in a bottle in a lot of ways. So many people act like of course everything would have been perfect if they stayed with Nintendo and that Microsoft was pushing them into scenarios they hated, but there is tons of evidence showing Rare just kept making the games they wanted to. Free Radical and Playtonic have spotty lineups too (although that is a bit unfair to call for the latter).

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
In terms of raw talent the writing was on the wall before they even left Nintendo. Tons of people had left by the time Perfect Dark had launched, Star Fox Adventures I think is easily one of their worst games and I could complain for days about how bloated and messy Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are. They had pretty significantly changed by the time Microsoft bought them.

This is wrong. They didn't start significantly changing until the Kinect. A few people had left before the buyout, but nowhere near "tons". Just because some games may not have turned out as well doesn't mean the talent was gone. People simply make mistakes sometimes. Free Radical with Haze and Playtonic with Yooka Laylee can attest to this and those teams have/had some old Rare talent.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno if MS ever "needed" them like nintendo did in the N64 era. not that MS first party is a particularly sturdy pillar on its own but N64 without Rare would've been dire

passing talent is one thing but both partnerships had a different symbiosis

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They've certainly been troubled since the Stampers left. But realistically if Activision would have won the bid in 2002 rather than Microsoft then I highly doubt they'd be here today.

Games obviously take a lot longer to make these days so clearly they're never going to get back to the output of the N64 era. Good to see Sea of Thieves doing well for them though, which at least shows they've retained that Rare charm in their games.
Nope. It took until Sea of Thieves for them to create a hit.
Technically that was Kinect Sports.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no I really don't think it will change.

Rare in the 90s was God-tier. Just so many quality titles

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I can see them ever matching it. They were like gaming gods back in the Nintendo days. They are nowhere near that now and I can't see it happening.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Sea of Thieves is one of my favourite games this gen so I'd say there's still a lot of the same magic left over from their golden days.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I think they'll always be known for some of those Nintendo titles but Sea of Thieves has done a lot to give Rare new life.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sea of Thieves is the most Rare game ever to me. I feel like if Rare never left Nintendo and it launched on Switch Nintendo fans would be singing its praises.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The talent left. Microsoft managed them poorly. This is why I yawn when I read about Microsoft acquiring companies.

So no, the good Rare is never coming back. They're not even making the new 2D Battletoads game.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
artists are usually remembered by their most famous/best work ever. Rare's best output was with Nintendo, nothing they have done with Microsoft has come close, not even 5%. Maybe visually they are similar but everything else feels and is wrong. Even the former employees who now work on Yooka Laylee seem to have lost their touch. So, I don't think this will change but I don't think it's a bad thing.
I mean, Final Fantasy lives off the glory of its former self with Square Soft. Although XIV is brilliant, doesn't mean the franchise is dead or bad. It's just that its best titles came out years ago

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I know them mostly for that Microsoft list even though I am 45...Would take most of that new stuff rather than 9 more Donkey Kong Titles. The exceptions would be Goldeneye, Conker and Perfect Dark as I would like a new title from themin any of those IP.

Also, I know Nostalgia is powerful, but I think Rare is rising and becoming an Elite studio again. Sea of Thieves, even though it was content-lite at launch is an awesome game and rumors have been that their staff has more than doubled in the past year and a half. Looking forward to their future output.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the same exact thing Nintendo was doing with all its internal teams at the time though. If rare couldn't finish it on time, it got pushed out in whatever patched up state they could get together. Even mario sunshine and wind waker clearly followed that line of thought, with plenty of obvious cut corners. There's not really any reason to assume a game that was rebooted in plenty of time (the Starfox change happened while it was still planned as an64 game, it launched on GameCube more than a year after the platforms launch, meaning they got a year extra development as originally the intent was it be a launch title) would have been meaningfully better otherwise.
We'll never really know, but I've never thought the Arwing sections or Star Fox story meshed especially well with the rest. It very much feels like one game, and half of another, jammed together.
I didn't mean a literal clone. DK as a character wouldn't work as a fast paced game.

But it was a 'cool 90s attitude' animal mascot platformer with ultra-simple controls and mechanics (jump and attack, the end) rolling into enemies as attack, not much emphasis on power ups, and a partner mechanic. It came from the same marketing angle Sonic did, just like Bubsy, Awesome Possum, Gex, Spakster etc.

Mario had already become more sophisticated puzzle/creative/secrets style game with SMB4 and went even further down the path with Yoshi.
I can see the similarities you're talking about from that point of view, but I think that is mostly down to marketing in the 90s and "edge" being in. The Rare DK characters themselves are not actually especially edgy, certainly not in the Sonic, etc. vein. With the possible exception of Funky Kong.

I think looking at the two series side by side though, the actual games differ dramatically, like I said in my last post.
Sea of Thieves is the most Rare game ever to me. I feel like if Rare never left Nintendo and it launched on Switch Nintendo fans would be singing its praises.
Maybe. But at the end of the day it's only one game, and one game doesn't stack up to their entire output produced under Nintendo.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Studios go through cycles and change. Rare may not be your cup of tea today but I think Rare was happy to work on sea of thieves and proud of what they accomplished. The studio is strong and they continue to make great games in all Xbox generations.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
If they make another Perfect Dark and it kicks ass that's all it takes for me. Love love love that game.

Also had plenty of fun with GoldenEye, Jet Force Gemini, and the various DK games, among others. They have a solid resume.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
It's like looking at 2 completely different companies entirely. The first portfolio is that of a god-tier studio and one is of a C grade developer. Take a guess which is which?

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Allowing Rare to be sold off was undoubtedly Nintendo's biggest mistake in the current millennium. People like to mention the Wii U, but at least that was something Nintendo eventually recovered from. The void Rare left has yet to be filled.

Retro is great and all, but they're not the same even though their DKC games are better overall.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
As good as their N64 output was the two Viva Pinata games are by far my favourite thing they have ever done. Would love to see a third entry to the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Bigger question: will Rare's time with MS ever not be defined by Kinect Sports, a series that spanned only three releases over a time span of less than 3.5 of those 17 years?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
after a point nostalgia supersedes everything else

viva pinata, nuts and bolts, and sea of thieves are all as interesting and/or good as anything they ever made

Bigger question: will Rare's time with MS ever not be defined by Kinect Sports, a series that spanned only three releases over a time span of less than 3.5 of those 17 years?
you mean the successful and well received games that probably prevented rare from getting downsized or shut down? those heartless microsoft monsters, they won't give me my banjo!

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Heck, if Sea Of Thieves was the next Xbox game to get a Switch port, you'd see a lot of the posters in this thread do a total 180.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It seems pretty clear now that Nintendo saw the writing on the wall before letting them go.
Nintendo didn't see anything. Rare's output after the buyout was the result of mismanagement by MS. There were countless game cancellations during that time, and probably more we don't know about. MS and Rare were simply incompatible. Grant Kirkhope worked there for over a decade and to this day he solely blames MS for what happened to them.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Should be pretty easy, they only need to make games that are cultural cornerstones such as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye and Banjo-Kazooie. No pressure at all.
Exactly.
Under Nintendo, Rare developed industry leading games (even if in many cases they were Rare takes on already existing formulas).

As an example here the top 10 best selling games of the 16 bit generation (by single SKU):
CaIAtro.jpg

Note that the industry was smaller back then compared to today.
By the end of the 16 bit generation, DKC was the 7th best selling console game of all time which should make obvious the huge cultural impact it had.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion they were always on the downwards spiral. They started as innovators with genre defining games, such as Knight Lore or Attic Attac but then ended up at Nintendo. During their Nintendo period they created games which were amazing technically but derivative. There is nothing genre-defining in Banjo Kazooie or Goldeneye.
Sure derivative but Rare often applied some kind of unique spin to existing popular formulas they reworked with their games.
For example the combo system in KI (their Mortal Kombat clone), the character momentum and level design in DKC which seem a mix between Super Mario Bros and Sonic, the adventure elements injected in Banjo Kazooie (ironically I think Super Mario Odyssey's roots came from BK rather than Super Mario 64), the mission objectives and body part hit in Goldeneye.

More like Nintendo miscalculated the situation and took a short sighted approach.
Or maybe Nintendo calculated well the costs/benefits of the purchase.
The Stamper bros (and the other stakeholder of the company I don't remember the name at the moment) were asking a lot to buy the remaining 51% of the company while at the same time the company didn't really fully owned the IPs of what were by far Rare most popular games up to that point (Donkey Kong was already controlled by Nintendo while GoldenEye was owned by a third party).

To illustrate my point (above: total Rare games sales under Nintendo; below: sales of the Rare games of which MS owned the IPs after the purchase)
CUmDopsXAAE4l32.png

EDIT:
There is also the fact that Nintendo was always a company that went for popular genre kings with defined formulas that could be reiterated generation after generation and Rare derivative output (despite the unique spins they applied) was never too interesting for Nintendo.
An eventual peculiar FPS franchise could have been of interest for Nintendo but the fact that GoldenEye was owned by another third-party kind of sucked.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd give Viva Pinata a whirl if it came to Switch. Don't feel like digging my 360 out of the closet for it.

Sea Of Thieves doesn't look appealing to me though.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
If they release something that matches or surpasses one of those games from the Nintendo era then yes otherwise no

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Not from me. Played Sea of Thieves, and it just isn't a very good game IMO
I was more referring to Nintendo fans ability to go from complete indifference to a game toover excitement when a port announced. Although that was more in the early Switch days than when the Switch became a port haven.

Basically, "Rare sucks now. Wait, they're making games on the Switch? WTF I love Rare now."

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talent left. Xbox had the team work on stupid stuff. A ton of bad decisions were made and they got stuck making grunt work. Then they finally get to make a pirate game and new Rare is now known for a fun online multiplayer pirate game.

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
When I think of Rare, I think Banjo, Conker, sea of thieves, viva piñata , killer instinct. Good chunk of that is under MS, and honestly excited to see what they do next. I'm praying for a platformer as Xbox could use a decent one.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Rare's partnership with Nintendo goes back to 1987 with Slalom and continued with R.C.Pro-Am, Anticipation, Cobra Triangle, PinBot and Snake Rattle 'n' Roll. It didn't start with DKC at all.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I wish it was easier to play their stuff outside of the XBox ecosystem; lacking a xbone is part of the reason I don't have much of any thought about them to begin with
please put rare replay on pc

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could this be due to Nintendo´s involvement in development? Even when working with 3rd parties Nintendo usually dedicates resources to those games and have high-profile in-house devs actively taking part in development (we´ve seen this P* and Bayo2, Ubi and Mario&Rabbids...) and have a more creative approach, which can be seeing in their willingness to delay games if needed for example. Maybe Rare lost their footing when they changed that for MS´corporate structure, where instead of MS sending dev gurus to help they were sending managers to ask about budgets and dates. Maybe without a creative hand steering the projects Rare had not the talent to do it by themselves.