• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018

First 2 days : 1 million
First week : 2 million
August 2018 : 5 million
January 2020 : 10 million
July 2020 : 15 million
March 2021 : 20 million
October 2021 : 25 million
June 2022 : 30 million

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Huge. Glad to see that the game has done so well after a bit of a rocky start. Personally I don't think I've played any single game more consistently for as long a period of time as Sea of Thieves and am overjoyed that it's been as big of a success for Microsoft and Rare.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I've been burned by pirates stealing my loot too many times. Once right after we cleared a vault. So haven't played the game in a few months lol.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
SoT was basically the "Game of the Gen" for me last time around, and it's only gotten better in the time since then. The overall success is so well deserved, especially after the work put into it after it's simple-seeming start. It's been a fascinating project to follow along with.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Is it too late to jump into this now? I played at launch and it wasn't that great of an experience but I see it pop up every now and again that the experience is much better now, which makes sense given how long ago my initial impression was. I just don't want to feel lost and my core group of gaming-buds have drifted to other things so I think I'd be playing it solo or trying to pair up with people in-game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im confused about this thread, and especially by the first 4 posts.

Era told me nobody plays Sea of Thieves, or Fallout 76, or ESO.

Grounded is the next flop too btw, its embarrassing that Obsidian is making it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Captaincy update looks very cool. Might get some friends to hop back in. I hope they improve the Adventures formula they've been tackling recently. I'm also excited for Season 8 talking about new quests to go on according to the roadmap.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it too late to jump into this now? I played at launch and it wasn't that great of an experience but I see it pop up every now and again that the experience is much better now, which makes sense given how long ago my initial impression was. I just don't want to feel lost and my core group of gaming-buds have drifted to other things so I think I'd be playing it solo or trying to pair up with people in-game.
It's a little late but new players start all the time. If you don't have friends who can guide you to start, I'd absolutely recommend watching some streamers to view the mechanics, strategies, ideas for having fun. BoxyFresh, Beardageddon, Flotsam, LDSylvr, BehavingBeardly, TizzyTam are all ones I'd recommend and are loads of fun. It's a great game to watch being streamed.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
That captaincy update is going to get me back into the game. Dropoff points are an interesting addition.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I own this on Xbox (it was a free pack-in years ago when I picked up an Xbox One S Digital in a £99 deal) but I've never played it. I have a Series S these days as a secondary console to my PS5.

Is it possible to play offline? Everything I've ever seen about it makes it look like "Getting Griefed - The Videogame". I like the cartoony style but the less I have to deal with other gamers the better.

Oct 27, 2017
This game has crazy legs. Anytime there's a sale on this game on Steam, it usually lands back in the top 10, and this is 2 years after release now. Just recently, it landed back in the top 10 on the Global Top 10 Steam charts for 2 consecutive weeks.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I don't know if I understand what this means. There definitely isn't 30 million people playing this game actively. Must be counting all of the players who played over its life span.
But that's not really impressive to me personally. 30 million people choose to try the game but only a handful play regularly? That's not something to be proud of. The game failed to hold the majority of its players attention.
But I don't know. I have no hate towards the game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I own this on Xbox (it was a free pack-in years ago when I picked up an Xbox One S Digital in a £99 deal) but I've never played it. I have a Series S these days as a secondary console to my PS5.

Is it possible to play offline? Everything I've ever seen about it makes it look like "Getting Griefed - The Videogame". I like the cartoony style but the less I have to deal with other gamers the better.

No.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I don't know if I understand what this means. There definitely isn't 30 million people playing this game actively. Must be counting all of the players who played over its life span.
But that's not really impressive to me personally. 30 million people choose to try the game but only a handful play regularly? That's not something to be proud of. The game failed to hold the majority of its players attention.
Just checked achievements, one achievement that came out this update has been completed by 5.46% of the players. The achievement isn't even mandatory but you do the math and AT LEAST 1'638'000 players played the game this season. Yes it is impressive that 4 years after release the game has over one and a half million people logging on.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a new parody i missed.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Your average game wishes it had 3 million players over its lifetime, let alone 30. Put that into perspective. :D

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

The game has been out for over 4 years now, and it still manages to attract 5 million new players in eight months. That's definitely huge.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Rare! Unfortunately I don't play multiplayer games much so haven't done much more than watch a few streams but I'm delighted for one of the most creative teams in the industry to have such a huge success.

Is this a meme?

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Just checked achievements, one achievement that came out this update has been completed by 5.46% of the players. The achievement isn't even mandatory but you do the math and AT LEAST 1'638'000 players played the game this season. Yes it is impressive that 4 years after release the game has over one and a half million people logging on.
Love seeing straight facts like this up against the people claiming it only has "a handful of active players". Owned 😂 lol. Love it. Same thing happens with Forza…it's clear to see that majority of players have played for many hours…but people keep claiming "most people only played for a few minutes".

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
So a game is only a success if all of its lifetime players continue to play it indefinitely?

Do you have any concept how rare it is for a video game to have that many people even try it at some point? So what number IS impressive to you if 30 million is not? And what games, if any, have achieved that?

NiteChylde

Oct 28, 2017
Really happy for Rare, it's great to see them being successful with Sea of Thieves, especially after the rocky start and lots of (partially unfair) criticism blown out of proportion back when it's released. Yeah, the game lacked content on release, but you could easily see the love and dedication Rare put into this gem.

I only played the game for around 10 hours so far, due to a lack of people I play with on Xbox Live, but it's one of very few games I keep wishing I could spend more time with. Maybe I should just give it a shot as a lone wolf!

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It's a multi-million selling game. 5 million on Steam alone as of Dec. 2021. And it was already doing great on Xbox One / W10 prior to the Steam release. It's likely well above 10 million units sold at this point.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Even years after it's release, still 5 million new players wanted to try this game out for the first time in the last 6 months. That by itself is impressive and super rare. Even besides that, how many games do you know that was played by 30 million players in its lifetime? Do you think if a game sells two million copies (which is also great!) all those two million people will play the game from start to finish?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. Maybe they'll patch that in one day if there's enough quests, PvE action and overarching story to support it.
You have to accept it's a multiplayer game that includes combat. I don't tend to engage in direct combat unless I'm provoked, but I accept that other players doing so is a completely valid play style. You really do have to make your peace with that early on, otherwise it's not the game for you.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. Sea of Thieves is one of Microsoft's crown jewels. It is one of their very best exclusives and maybe the most interesting game as a service out there.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bodes well for future RARE projects. They have proved they can keep supporting and evolving GaaS projects etc.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
The original Strand game going strong.

Fair enough. Maybe they'll patch that in one day if there's enough quests, PvE action and overarching story to support it.
Almost certainly not. It's not a game which is its own thing and happens to have multiplayer, multiplayer is the core point of the entire thing. All the quests and items and voyages exist solely to push you out onto the waves where multiplayer, the actual game, will happen to you.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
imagine telling someone after this launched that it's going to be bigger than a f2p Halo.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly i would love for them to allow people to play solo and without worry about other players. Just let me play through story content and let me explore and solve puzzles alone even if that means that I won't get any meaningful rewards.

Aug 12, 2019
Confused how a thread celebrating Sea of Thieves massive turnaround and continued success post recovery has turned into the thread for airing grievances about people's talks on other live service games with very different circumstances, but OK.

Anyway, Sea of Thieves really did a lot to turn around public opinion and feels like probably the greatest turnaround for a game this generation outside of No Man's Sky doing what it did. Very happy it finally got to a very enjoyable place for so many people including myself.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Deserved. We still have a lot of fun with it. They should treat it like Minecraft and port it to Switch and PS5 to get even more players in.