• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The sincerity is making me tear up.

a211f8fd6717c242c36107be4bf50b046fc7dfc4.jpg

He made a music video in response to this controversy (which was probably intentional) and he making it seem like he had 5 seconds to change his opinion lol

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
This dude has been trying to end his career in one way or another for the last 2 years. I'm surprised it took this long. He killed a fan at Walmart!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The fact that he's getting called out by his peers shows how far things have progressed since the 90's, but the fact that he's still getting support for his homophobia shows how far we still have to go.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
This shit will not end his career
His fans do NOT care, in fact they probably agree with him and his views
I learned a hard lesson from Chris Brown shit back in the day and when it comes to artists? People will ride with them until the end no matter what
Good tho that places like Lollapalooza are telling his clown ass to fuck off tho, I was NOT expecting that
I'm going to phrase this carefully but if you know then you know, but a rapper being homophobic is not enough to ruin them

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Laverne Cox's response to this was really graceful and powerful. Fuck transphobia and homophobia

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I learned a hard lesson from Chris Brown shit back in the day and when it comes to artists? People will ride with them until the end no matter what
Good tho that places like Lollapalooza are telling his clown ass to fuck off tho, I was NOT expecting that
I'm going to phrase this carefully but if you know then you know, but a rapper being homophobic is not enough to ruin them
I don't even think they are truly fans of his but instead fans of rap [caviar]. A bunch of reactionist scrubs who latch on to whoever is being critiqued because being a decent person has turned into a culture war.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
TI got more problems to worry about than Dababy. Worry about thay shit before you open your mouth.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I don't even think they are truly fans of his but instead fans of rap [caviar]. A bunch of reactionist scrubs who latch on to whoever is being critiqued because being a decent person has turned into a culture war.
Actually said it way better than I could, those people will immediately latch onto anything especially if it's against progressive values/LGBT community

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I was gonna say; who's a hardcore DaBaby fan?

Dude has no hardcore fanbase to try to spin this like other controversies, particularly since he's been "Fuck U" to critique for a week plus. No beehive or barbs to work PR angles on social media, lol

Oct 27, 2017
Artists make the majority of their money at live engagements, touring, etc. If he stops getting booked from everything it will have a significant impact

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I just saw that on Pitchfork

"DaBaby is no longer performing at Austin City Limits Music Festival or Music Midtown, the respective festivals announced. In addition, according to Rolling Stone, DaBaby is not going to be performing at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in September. The Charlotte rapper was previously removed from the bills of Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, and Day N Vegas. Pitchfork has reached out to DaBaby's representatives for comment and more information."

pitchfork.com

DaBaby No Longer Playing Austin City Limits, iHeartRadio, and Music Midtown Music Festivals After Homophobic Remarks

The rapper was previously dropped from Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, and Day N Vegas after his controversial and offensive Rolling Loud Miami comments

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe he's getting more flack for this than Tory did for shooting Meg. Like… I'm not crazy, right?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what the ulcer rate is in PR and marketing?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe he's getting more flack for this than Tory did for shooting Meg. Like… I'm not crazy, right?
No, I don't think you are.

But, DaBaby is leagues more popular than Tory at the time of their respective incidents. Like, Suge was #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Levitating (Remix) was #2 for weeks this year. Tory hadn't had a hit in god knows how long when the Meg incident happened.

I think that's part of the explanation. The other part is that one act hurt a black woman and the other act offended an entire swath of America, including white America.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't think you are.

But, DaBaby is leagues more popular than Tory at the time of their respective incidents. Like, Suge was #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Levitating (Remix) was #2 for weeks this year. Tory hadn't had a hit in god knows how long when the Meg incident happened.

I think that's part of the explanation. The other part is that one act hurt a black woman and the other act offended an entire swath of America, including white America.
And with the Tory situation people were oddly giving him the benefit of the doubt until Meg cleared things up in Instagram. It's just the gap of Tory shooting an innocent unarmed woman vs. Dababy being homophobic. You're right about Tory not being as big as Dababy but even in circles where you have rap fans who know who's who you'd hear Tory getting treated like he was basically innocent because they didn't catch him in 4K

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Nah you aren't.

The black woman was shot and it barely registered anyplace but in the black community. The other dude offended an entire group of people and he been kicked out more stuff than I've seen happen to others.

Both are bad but one dude could have killed a woman and the other said some straight up homophobic shit. The one who shot someone is fine.

kaytra

Oct 27, 2017
Nah you aren't.

The black woman was shot and it barely registered anyplace but in the black community. The other dude offended an entire group of people and he been kicked out more stuff than I've seen happen to others.

Both are bad but one dude could have killed a woman and the other said some straight up homophobic shit. The one who shot someone is fine.

how about chris brown too? I think this is just crazy. I'm glad people have called it out but i don't think this should end his career. He's just a fucking idiot and uneducated. I hope this situation will help him grow and realize what he said hurt a lot of people. Now tory lanez or chris brown how are they not ended yet?!?!?!?!

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
how about chris brown too? I think this is just crazy. I'm glad people have called it out but i don't think this should end his career. He's just a fucking idiot and uneducated. I hope this situation will help him grow and realize what he said hurt a lot of people. Now tory lanez or chris brown how are they not ended yet?!?!?!?!
I don't care his career is ended (I don't think it will). He is a grown man and said it. It's his own fault. I DO care though that even after the Megan shit Lanez still getting play and making records. And yeah after Chris Brown the entire world shrugged and he is as famous as ever.

And even Dababys ignorant ass was saying bullshit about Megan being shot, and I don't recall anyone canceling him. It's just bullshit that this is what it took for people to finally "cancel" him and rally the entire music world when dude even murdered someone.

I'm glad he is getting dragged. Maybe he recovers eventually. But it still pisses me off no one cares when it's about a black woman in distress or being hurt.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
His apology might as well have read "Don't throw DaBaby out with the bath water". He ain't sorry in the slightest. Flexing in the face of outrage was a bad move. And why is he so concerned by gay sex? After all this, I'd laugh if he was arrested for indecency in a car park. Stranger things have happened. Anyway, .I hope the cancellation is permanent. Garbage human.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
DaBaby has met with a group of nine U.S. HIV organizations "to discuss HIV facts and share personal stories of living and thriving with HIV," the organizations announced via a press release on Tuesday. The organizations had called for the meeting in an Aug. 4 open letter to the rapper,

But in a statement on Tuesday, the organizations wrote: "The open letter to DaBaby was our way to extend him the same grace each of us would hope for. Our goal was to 'call him in instead of calling him out.' We believed that if he connected with Black leaders living with HIV that a space for community building and healing could be created. We are encouraged he swiftly answered our call and joined us in a meaningful dialogue and a thoughtful, educational meeting.

"During our meeting, DaBaby was genuinely engaged, apologized for the inaccurate and hurtful comments he made about people living with HIV, and received our personal stories and the truth about HIV and its impact on Black and LGBTQ communities with deep respect," it continues. "We appreciate that he openly and eagerly participated in this forum of Black people living with HIV, which provided him an opportunity to learn and to receive accurate information."

Reps for DaBaby did not immediately respond to Variety's requests for comment.

More here:

variety.com

DaBaby Meets With Nine HIV-Awareness Organizations, ‘Apologizes’ for ‘Inaccurate and Hurtful Comments’

DaBaby has met with reps from nine HIV-awareness organizations and apologized for his 'hurtful and inaccurate comments' about HIV.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
More here:

variety.com

DaBaby Meets With Nine HIV-Awareness Organizations, ‘Apologizes’ for ‘Inaccurate and Hurtful Comments’

DaBaby has met with reps from nine HIV-awareness organizations and apologized for his 'hurtful and inaccurate comments' about HIV.

The funny part of his rant was my girl watches those various Real Housewives shows and while watching I overheard two of the cast members commiserating about how Aids took a parent each around the time this went down on episode. Seems nuts to me about having to get educated on Aids in 2021.

As much as he's a bigot its also obvious he's got ego and narcissism issues, hopefully he works on that too in addition to getting 'educated'