• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers. Georgia is now a deep deep purple thanks to the work Stacey put in. Her model is not unique and needs to be copied all over the country, especially Texas and Florida.
I'd hesitate to call Georgia deep purple until we actually see what future elections look like. Stacey did good work, but what saved us this time was extremely high turnout for a runoff. Even Republicans had extremely high turnout for runoff, just less.
Was Democrat turnout higher or Republican lower? Or both?
Both were lower, Democrat turnout was less lower. It was a runoff. The rough-don't-quote-me relative turnout was ~90% of election day numbers in dem counties and ~85-87% in pub counties

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd hesitate to call Georgia deep purple until we actually see what future elections look like. Stacey did good work, but what saved us this time was extremely high turnout for a runoff. Even Republicans had extremely high turnout for runoff, just less.

Both were lower, Democrat turnout was less lower.
Fair, trying to be optimistic. But hopefully we can keep the energy through 2022. Can't waste it by not getting anything accomplished for those voters.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not to defend Perdue in any way, and I understand the power of party, but Loeffler only getting 38k fewer votes than him is sort of astonishing to me.

I think both got a boost by it being marketed as a tag team election. There wasn't going to be a lot of people who split their vote.

I also maintain that if Warnock had won outright and only Ossoff/Perdue went to a runoff, Perdue probably would have won. Warnock gave Ossoff a huge boost.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing campaigns from both of them. They were both perfect. I'm hoping that Republicans don't get their shit together for 2022 and put up another candidate like Loeffler, who has gotta be one of the worst senate candidates ever. Her and Martha McSally were so laughably bad, like continually lose elections and then get appointed, and do nothing for the people in their states.

The lessons learned from polling in the Trump era is wild. When Trump isn't on the ballot we have among the most accurate polls we've ever had. This special election was basically nailed down to the decimal in polling averages. And then it's wild how off they are when Trump is actually on the ballot.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend Perdue in any way, and I understand the power of party, but Loeffler only getting 38k fewer votes than him is sort of astonishing to me.
I mean, the thing about the vote splitters here is you gotta imagine the 1% "pretentious smartass" demographic who'd vote for one dem and one pub and realize their reasoning is probably bullshit anyway.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
According to Wikipedia, Purdue and Ossoff got 2,462,617 and 2,374,519 respectively in November.

Then January got 2,211,865 and 2,262,523.

I wouldn't say republican turnout was bad for a runoff; in fact it was actually really good. Democrats in GA just did a really great job at registering and getting out the vote.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

There are a few reasons for this, speaking as a Georgian:

1.) She had the personality and charisma of a wet sponge. She bought her seat from our governor Brian Kemp and had no idea how to run a campaign. She should have lost by more but she had an R next to her name.

2.) Purdue might have been shit but he was established shit and people knew who he was.

3.) Ossoff is a weaker candidate than Warnock pound for pound and his age is definitely a factor in him not getting as many votes.

4.) Loeffler tried to sell herself as a "salt of the earth" Georgian while being a billionaire living in Buckhead, Atlanta (aka the richest fucking place in the state) and nobody was buying that shit. I couldn't stop laughing at her ridiculous "poor person costume" with fresh flannel that she would parade around in.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea for Georgia is that it is a very young, extremely diverse state that is currently growing fast in those demographics with a shrinking/aging rural white population. I think it may be solidly blue by the time Ossoff faces re-election in 2026. For Abrams/Warnock in 2022, it may be more difficult pending the course of the next 2 years but I think they should at least be even odds or slight favorites in any races they run.

I think Arizona is the state that is a looser blue flip that could easily flip back red for a good while in 2024 and beyond if Republicans have someone running who didn't spit on the grave of a local political hero.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There are a few reasons for this, speaking as a Georgian:

1.) She had the personality and charisma of a wet sponge. She bought her seat from our governor Brian Kemp and had no idea how to run a campaign. She should have lost by more but she had an R next to her name.

2.) Purdue might have been shit but he was established shit and people knew who he was.

3.) Ossoff is a weaker candidate than Warnock pound for pound and his age is definitely a factor in him not getting as many votes.

4.) Loeffler tried to sell herself as a "salt of the earth" Georgian while being a billionaire living in Buckhead, Atlanta (aka the richest fucking place in the state) and nobody was buying that shit. I couldn't stop laughing at her ridiculous "poor person costume" with fresh flannel that she would parade around in.

and her hat, dont forget about her brand new ass hat.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
This is so great. I was optimistic before the election but I only figured we get 1. Perdue made me uneasy and Kelly was always a joke but Atlanta (and black voters) saved our asses.

God Damn America!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
How did they cheat again after being caught cheating the first time without repercussion?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
She wants to be governor. And although it probably pays less, I really can't blame her.

She had an election stolen from her, so she busted her ass to turn Georgia into a blue state.
Yeah, if she doesn't want the job and wants to be governor, that's obviously OK. But I still hope it happens, lol

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea for Georgia is that it is a very young, extremely diverse state that is currently growing fast in those demographics with a shrinking/aging rural white population. I think it may be solidly blue by the time Ossoff faces re-election in 2026. For Abrams/Warnock in 2022, it may be more difficult pending the course of the next 2 years but I think they should at least be even odds or slight favorites in any races they run.

I think Arizona is the state that is a looser blue flip that could easily flip back red for a good while in 2024 and beyond if Republicans have someone running who didn't spit on the grave of a local political hero.

That's why at this point they need to push as many laws to support Georgians for the next two years so that they can get more voters to come back to vote for Abrams and Warnock in 2022. If we want to change GA from purple to blue, they need to focus a bit on rural GA as well. I can see Warnock holding his position, Ossoff will be more difficult.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine actually turning GA Blue in the general election inspired people to vote who had previously thought there was no point to vote in a historically solid R state.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe that might partially explain Trump over-performing in the Midwest this time around. I imagine there's some Republicans in Michigan for example who saw Obama win big twice and thought it was pointless but turned out in 2020 after seeing Trump win in 2016.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Loeffler was an absolute joke, but Perdue was an incumbent with a powerful family name, and he was beaten by a 33-year old Jew who had held no political office and whose primary claim to fame was spending a then-record amount of money to lose an election that a different Democrat managed to win just a year later. On paper, Ossoff is probably the weakest candidate to win a senate seat in decades. He sure ran a great campaign, though.
I think this episode is worth pointing to as an example of someone who was universally derided as a dud when really, the reasons he lost the Georgia's 6th special in 2017 were probably more circumstantial than anything. Historically red district that didn't like Trump, but this was pre-Charlottesville and pre-ACA repeal, the two things in Trump's first year in office that dragged down his approval ratings the most. Ossoff also lived (ten minutes) outside the district which made for an unfortunately easy talking point that he couldn't like, readily address.

Pointing that out because here (and elsewhere) there's often this burden put on losing candidates that acts as though losing in unwinnable races was 100% their fault. There was a lot of similar talk about Beto after his close race in Texas in 2018 too - "wow, he lost to Ted Cruz, what a fuck-up" - ignoring the fact that he was running in the red state and still did better than any other Democrat on the ticket in at least a decade. Kerry's 2004 presidential run is another good example.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
But he may have be planning this all along to get rid of Trump.

I dont think so. I dont think McConnell would ever willingly relinquish power. I think he thought after they overperformed in the election and didnt actually lose the Senate races they thought they would, he genuinely felt that they somehow escaped losing control. He wanted to do the bare minimum and thought they could squeak out GA.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The cynical part of me honestly was expecting angry Republicans to come out and spoil it for us, so I'm very happy to see the GOP lose so definitively.

Kick rocks, Mitch.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
How did they cheat again after being caught cheating the first time without repercussion?

An excellent question. For Brian Kemp's election, he held a position that had him in control of every aspect of his own election. People called on him to resign from his post due to the sheer conflict of interest but he said "nah" and proceeded to do everything "legally" possible to allow himself to win.

Eliminating voter rolls to give yourself an edge is one thing, and Kemp did this in spades, but he went one step further and fucked with precincts on Election Day. There were countless stories of Democratic areas/areas with a predominant African American population only getting one voting machine for thousands of people. Kemp would "forget" to send power chords to Democrat districts so the machines were useless.

So why didn't it work for Loeffler and Purdue? Well all eyes were on the process now and In my opinion, Kemp didn't want to try the same tactics for people that aren't him, ESPECIALLY with Trump shitting all over him 24/7.

The Left in Georgia was fired up because Stacey Abrams was cheated out of her win and Kemp has basically dug his own political grave as there's no WAY he wins re-election next time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Pointing that out because here (and elsewhere) there's often this burden put on losing candidates that acts as though losing in unwinnable races was 100% their fault. There was a lot of similar talk about Beto after his close race in Texas in 2018 too - "wow, he lost to Ted Cruz, what a fuck-up" - ignoring the fact that he was running in the red state and still did better than any other Democrat on the ticket in at least a decade. Kerry's 2004 presidential run is another good example.

yeah, the number of times I see democrats/liberals/progressives criticizing other losing democrats for "running a terrible campaign," is crazy, and it's said about campaigns that are widely considered great campaigns, like you said, Beto's is a great example.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Loeffler was an absolute joke, but Perdue was an incumbent with a powerful family name, and he was beaten by a 33-year old Jew who had held no political office and whose primary claim to fame was spending a then-record amount of money to lose an election that a different Democrat managed to win just a year later. On paper, Ossoff is probably the weakest candidate to win a senate seat in decades. He sure ran a great campaign, though.
Yup. But the part where he crushed Perdue and his support is when he called him a crook right to his face and Perdue was looking like a robot. That was the fatal blow.

These $5k suit wearing fuckholes have gone their lives not being challenged on a single thing and there was nothing millions of $$ and high power lawyers couldn't make go away. This line from Ossof shook Perdue and his entire being.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. There were a ton of Warnock/Perdue Republicans who were turned off by Loeffler tacking hard right and being a Trump sycophant. Those "more conservative than Atilla the Hun" ads blew up in her face in the end.
I've no idea what possessed her to make that Atilla ad
It's like a shitty youtube sketch that appeals to no one and out of context it doesn't really attack anyone

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. There were a ton of Warnock/Perdue Republicans who were turned off by Loeffler tacking hard right and being a Trump sycophant. Those "more conservative than Atilla the Hun" ads blew up in her face in the end.
Yeah pretty much came off barbaric and I'm sure when they saw her acting like a robot def sunk her.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so many own goals by the republicans over the last 4 years. Imagine telling them in 2015 they'd lose senate elections in Georgia (x2) and Alabama, and that they'd lose a solid trifecta and still be in near full support of the president that it occurred under. many things have to go wrong (and right on the dems side, even with good organisation) for shit like that to happen.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
so many own goals by the republicans over the last 4 years. Imagine telling them in 2015 they'd lose senate elections in Georgia (x2) and Alabama, and that they'd lose a trifecta and still be in near full support of the president that it occurred under. many things have to go wrong (and right on the dems side, even with good organisation) for shit like that to happen.

both Arizona Senate seats too

..........with the same candidate.......who they chose to appoint to the second seat after she lost the first one

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn America

Makes the 27 hours a day worth of commercials worth it

Oct 27, 2017
The only Perdue ad I saw online made it seem he thought he was running against AOC, poor guy was so confused. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Dec 31, 2017
It sucks that this tremendous achievement was overshadowed by the fuckery this week.

Yup. But the part where he crushed Perdue and his support is when he called him a crook right to his face and Perdue was looking like a robot. That was the fatal blow.

These $5k suit wearing fuckholes have gone their lives not being challenged on a single thing and there was nothing millions of $$ and high power lawyers couldn't make go away. This line from Ossof shook Perdue and his entire being.

That pause is what kills me every time. And peruses

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
That's why at this point they need to push as many laws to support Georgians for the next two years so that they can get more voters to come back to vote for Abrams and Warnock in 2022. If we want to change GA from purple to blue, they need to focus a bit on rural GA as well. I can see Warnock holding his position, Ossoff will be more difficult.
I think it helps that Ossoff is secure until a much later election. It gives extra time for GA to shift left and hopefully for more voter protections to be put into legislation.