• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's really just nowhere to escalate for me anymore other than literally kicking and flailing my arms around while screaming "I hate him, I hate him, I hate him" but man, as God as my witness, I hate him.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Just get him out of this industry ffs! I'm tired of craning my neck to watch his car wrecks. The man is a human trash can.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb, stupid piece of shit. I'm a Borderlands fan but fuck Randy's imbecilic ass.

Dec 3, 2018
In the past week I have seen somebody flipping a frog on a skateboard and some asshole guys with a pony squeezed into their car and they both have something like 100k likes and now this. World is a fucking cess pool.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over a series of posts.
OP : "animal cruelty"
Click the video: a cat fuck bitchin with a crab.

2 pages and counting

Jun 17, 2018
for sure the guy is an idiot, no question

but is this "animal cruelty"? this is a crab pinching a cat...even animal documentaries on the TV are more brutal (like an alligator eating a gnu)

besides that, the video is an old hat.

The difference between this video and a nature documentary is that a documentary is a film crew capturing animals in their habitat and this video was set up by a massive asshole.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Randy's in a position where he should be more careful tweeting out shit like that.
Have you actually watched the video in question?

I'm all for calling out people when they do actually horrendous shit. But what he posted was literally nothing. Pulling out your pitchforks for every single minor thing just makes you all look like a bunch of fanatical lunatics.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Um... is the video just the cat getting pinched by the crab? This isn't animal cruelty, come on. The cat probably already forgot it happened.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
OP : "animal cruelty"
Click the video: a cat fuck bitchin with a crab.

2 pages and counting

That's purposefully reductive.

Putting animals against each other to instigate a conflict and filming it for entertainment purposes is a clear-cut case of animal abuse. I guess it's possible it isn't where you live - but can't you acknowledge the problematic nature of it (incl. his following tweet) in this context?

Last edited:

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: People have no idea what animal cruelty is.

Here's a hint: would a cat and a crab fight like that randomly, while being recorded for entertainment?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you actually watched the video in question?

I'm all for calling out people when they do actually horrendous shit. But what he posted was literally nothing. Pulling out your pitchforks for every single minor thing just makes you all look like a bunch of fanatical lunatics.

Because they are fanatical. Dude should pay rent for how much time he spends in some of these peoples heads. He's not worth thinking about and yet every time he says ANYTHING people clutch their pearls and twist themselves in knots.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The example in the original tweet is not the most overt case of animal cruelty, but it is exploitation of animals for clicks which falls under the definition neatly.

The issue here is not the video itself, imo, which is fairly benign in the grand scheme of things. The issue is Randy's response when called to reflect on it, and how instead of saying "You know, I can see how this video is exploiting animals, I can see how those of us with a platform have a responsibility to do better" or something, he does the usual Randy-speak spin and attempts to frame it like he was proposing some deeper conversation.

The original tweet says "submitted for your consideration", it's it is possible he was submitting it to discuss something surrounding this, and if you read that first post a certain way and decipher the word salad in the follow up it does look like he's interested in a conversation around the value of videos like this...

Randy is either a huge, narcissist and troll who knows exactly how to present something in a way that's JUST ambiguous enough that he can spin it later with a "you guys a are so mean, I meant X and you know it!"

OR

Randy just doesn't understand how to communicate with people, to the point he constantly opens his mouth and creates drama that could easily be avoided with a little more care.

OR

It's a mix, one he constantly exploits to troll and frame himself as the misunderstood victim.

I think it's probably the third option, given his track record. If we take every accusation, and action, and way he's presented himself over the years he comes across as a slimy fuck who isn't very adept at social interactions but exploits that and his position for kicks.

Whatever the case, he's extremely unlikeable at best and at worst there are some alarming accusations floating around.

I wish he wasn't the face of BL3.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Encouraging conflict between animals while recording it for entertainment is about as clear cut a case of cruelty imaginable.
That's purposefully reductive.

Putting animals against each other for a fight and filming it for entertainment purposes is a clear-cut case of animal cruelty. I guess it's possible it isn't where you live - but can't you acknowledge the problematic nature of it (incl. the following tweet) in this context?
I miss the part where someone is "putting".
I discuss what I see, not what I suppose to see.
And you should too.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of y'all try too hard to find reasons to dislike him. I let my dogs have fun on the beach and sometimes they find crabs, one of them got pinched and he doesn't like them anymore.

Oh the cruelty of curious animals discovering some other animals aren't always nice *rolls eyes*
Yeah, I'm all for dunking on coke magician Randy, but this feels like that bitch eating crackers meme. "animal cruelty" is a real stretch here.

People need to calm down. This feels like one of those troll threads to make Era look bad by playing into the outrage culture stereotype.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's bad but lots of "funny animal videos" are actually cruelty. People just don't get animal behavior, especially if it's not from a cat or a dog, all those videos of animals "smiling" are them just being scared.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Curiosity killed the cat and gets the CEO fired.
He's just really curious, probably just a leftover excuse from the squirting incident.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I know I'm going to be accused of defending him here, and thus somehow defending everything bad he's ever done (which I'm not), but OP has an agenda here, and it's pretty clear that the majority of this thread haven't seen the video and are just responding to the "Randy shares video of animal cruelty" title which is grossly misleading.

Era, please fix the fuck up. Sensationalist nonsense shouldn't be leading the discourse here, yet somehow it does.

Submitting a dumbass video on twitter and following up with an equally dumbass tweet isn't something he should be doing considering the amount of bother he's gotten himself into the past month. That's without all his previous other bullshit too.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Randy Pitchford would have to be the least likeable person in gaming. I genuinely feel sorry for anybody who has to work with him.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Domesticated alligators or...?
Documentaries are that: they're documenting what happens in the wild. When a domesticated animal is in danger of getting hurt, you intervene, you don't point a fucking camera at it. It absolutely falls under animal cruelty.
The difference between this video and a nature documentary is that a documentary is a film crew capturing animals in their habitat and this video was set up by a massive asshole.

thinking about it, you guys are right, the video was seemingly purposefully set up to let them encounter each other, get clicks and therefore it is animal abuse-even if it doesn´t seem too drastic at first.

CrashFaster

Oct 28, 2017
My motivation to buy this Borderlands 3 thing is at an all-time low by now. Perhaps I'll just skip it, and skip the other games this 'guy' leads up.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Stop giving this guy the attention. It's clear that's what he seeks, as negative publicity is still publicity.

Oct 25, 2017
Gearbox PR team:

giphy.gif

This dude is eager to win Giant Bomb's Hottest Mess this year huh

This implies the idea Gearbox actually has a PR team