• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
A lot of times voice actors aren't told what game they're recording for. They'll be given a description of the character, their personality, looks, role in the story, etc., but won't be told the title of the game. It was actually one of the reasons why voice actors were so unhappy with the industry a couple years ago.

I don't know how that works for returning roles, but it is entirely possible Troy got asked if he wanted to reprise his role as this character, without giving a specific as to the fact that it's a brand new numbered core entry, and simply passed based on what they were willing to pay, the size of the role, etc. Randy and Troy could both be telling the truth to some extent.

This

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't been in as much for the past few years though. He was only in two games last year, one as Snow in a fighting game with few lines and another as a supporting character in God of War.
He's also been busy recording for TLoU II and Death Stranding. Plus all the animation work he does and the weekly YouTube series with him and Nolan.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that unlikely that both sides are being honest here? As in, the audio director reached out to Troy Baker early on to see if he was interested and what his quote would be; upon seeing the cost, the audio director reported back up the chain that it wouldn't fit the budget and they were going with another option. Sounds like the potential jerk move in all of this was Gearbox/audio director not closing the loop with Troy and telling them they were using somebody else.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Holy crap are people overthinking this.

Troy Baker turned down the first offer. They didn't make a second. He didn't know they moved on until the trailer came out. End of story.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more inclined to believe Troy Baker than a notorious liar, the games industry has a long history of not caring about respecting past voicework talent.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Every time there's a story about a VA passing but they say they wanted to do the role, I assume a casting director talked to an agent, gave them a number, agent turned it down because it doesn't meet their number or fit their schedule and the VA never even hears it fell through.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So he refused their initial offer and waited for a counter and in the meantime they got someone else?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think it's well within the realm of possibility that they approached Baker but the role was small enough and Gearbox was budget constrained enough to make the pay/job too insignificant for one of the most prolific voice actors in the industry.

Oh shit wait sorry GEARBOX BAD, EPIC BAD

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don't think it actually matters at all."

Is this supposed to be reassuring? Because it's not.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
So, Rhys won't have his proper voice.

Randy says "it doesn't matter anyway the way he appears in the game".

Meaning Rhys doesn't really have an active role at all, meaning possibly then that Vaughn also will be probably minor and we could not at all get to see Fiona, Sasha or Loaderbot.

So basically none of the actually best cast in the Borderlands series could really be returning. Instead we'll probably have 15 hours of Claptrap jokes.
giphy.gif

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Neither person seems to be lying here. Sounds like there were early negotiations but they didn't agree. I doubt it's creative differences either, probably just about money. Apparently Troy Baker and Nolan North command higher fees now after getting more prolific.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more inclined to believe Troy Baker than a notorious liar, the games industry has a long history of not caring about respecting past voicework talent.

It amazes me how they still don't understand what a massive turn off this is for fans. Namco did the same shit with Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (coincidentally it was Troy Baker they didn't bring back) and my hype deflated almost instantly.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
So either;

A) Troy's lying and turned down the gig, and is now trying to shame Gearbox into taking him back at a higher pay

B) Troy's agent turned down the gig for whatever reason, and didn't tell Troy.

C) Gearboxes audio director decided not to go with Troy, and gave Randy a half-assed explanation. Or,

D) Randy didn't want Troy and is lying, presumably because Troy is probably expensive and the role is small.

All are possible, but B and C are probably most likely as Randy and Troy have been quite public about wanting him to do Rhys again.

But one thing is for sure. Some is lying.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It probably isn't Rhys at all. You didn't have to kill Jack as I recall and they could use that as the canon ending, meaning in the years since Tales it's possible Jack has taken over.
As far as I understand it , you'll pull out Jack out of Rhys' skull no matter what happens. Rhys gets rid of all his cybernetic bits, therefore ending Jack. The choice you get is to destroy then the ripped out cybernetic eye or keep it, but I think at that point its more symbolic than anything.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't believe a word that comes out of that man's mouth ever since he fucking lied so brazenly about Aliens: Colonial Marines so if it comes down to he said vs he said i'll be siding with Troy on this one.

Frankly Randy Pitchford is so toxic at this point he should really recuse himself from ever speaking on Gearbox's behalf, he single handedly brings down Gearbox's reputation every time he opens his mouth.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I don't believe a word that comes out of that man's mouth ever since he fucking lied so brazenly about Aliens: Colonial Marines so if it comes down to he said vs he said i'll be siding with Troy on this one.

Frankly Randy Pitchford is so toxic at this point he should really recuse himself from ever speaking on Gearbox's behalf, he single handedly brings down Gearbox's reputation every time he opens his mouth.
he's that bad ehh? sorry don't know much about his history

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Willing to bet that the role was just denied by an agent just based on the the significance of the role, or lack there of. Basically someone answering the phones for Baker saw the pitch and was like "Not even worth his time, click." and doesn't even mention it to Baker, which actually happens a lot.

Gearbox probably didn't really try to get him, only putting in minimal effort, expecting it to be denied.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Every time I see the name "Randy Pitchford" in a headline I cringe... Dude needs to go away. His reintroduction into the limelight with the announcement of Borderlands 3 is painful to witness.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Could be that the Audio Director lied to Pitchford? At least the AD should comment about it

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty much identical to the Tales of Vesperia situation. Honestly think Troy's agent is screening a lot of this stuff out these days.

Nov 1, 2017
he's that bad ehh? sorry don't know much about his history

Oh man, you should have a look into the "gameplay demo" of Alien CM that Randy showed off that was drastically different from the final product. It's probably his "finest" work to day but the man has a serious history of being a massive fucking liability and should be trusted about as much as you would trust a swarm of piranhas swimming around your nether region.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Either Troy is lying.

Or Randy is lying.

Or the guy that told Randy is lying.

I'm not really a betting man, but so far those aren't really good odds for it not being the fault of someone at Gearbox that's trying to pull a fast one on everyone.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
So either;

A) Troy's lying and turned down the gig, and is now trying to shame Gearbox into taking him back at a higher pay

B) Troy's agent turned down the gig for whatever reason, and didn't tell Troy.

C) Gearboxes audio director decided not to go with Troy, and gave Randy a half-assed explanation. Or,

D) Randy didn't want Troy and is lying, presumably because Troy is probably expensive and the role is small.

All are possible, but B and C are probably most likely as Randy and Troy have been quite public about wanting him to do Rhys again.

But one thing is for sure. Some is lying.
Plus, if Randy is lying, he's throwing the audio director under the bus.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Neither person seems to be lying here. Sounds like there were early negotiations but they didn't agree. I doubt it's creative differences either, probably just about money. Apparently Troy Baker and Nolan North command higher fees now after getting more prolific.
Very, very few voice actors can demand "higher fees". That said, Gearbox uses non-union Texas voice actors, and probably pays them around the same as Funimation's anime dubbing. The Tales from the Borderlands cast would have gotten the union video game rate which is a fair bit higher. So if Baker asked for the same rate he got on Tales, he would essentially be asking for more money than anyone else in the cast was getting. (Arranging for him to be recorded remotely in Los Angeles would also add to the cost.)