• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's totally possible neither party is lying and it's all a perspective thing, but at the same time Randy is a compulsive liar so....

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Randy Pitchford being full of shit or Troy Baker lying about his lack of involvement in BL3? Yeah I'm gonna go with Randy Pitchford being full of shit.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are misremembering. Baker was contacted he confirmed:

I mean, true, but this... still doesn't really confirm that he ever really turned it down

Baker would literally have no reason to ever say "oh if they decide to let me do it that'd be awesome" if that were the case

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
After all the shit I've seen and heard Pitchford pull over the years, I feel like he's definitely the one full of shit here.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Think they are both telling the truth just not the whole truth but neither have any obligation to divulge details like that anyway. Hope they can work something out though.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
They are probably both lying. Troy most likely was offered the part and asked for too much and thus didn't get it.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I remember Pitchford actually answering one of Troy Baker tweets, months ago, about the fact that he wanted to come back as Rhys. Pitchford really seemed to love the guy and said he wanted to work with him again.
My guess is that none of the two are faulty, it's either the agent or the audio director.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think they are both telling the truth just not the whole truth but neither have any obligation to divulge details like that anyway. Hope they can work something out though.
Possible that Troy's agent said no, assuming Rhys really does have a minimal role that's not of the high paying variety.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So it was them cheaping out?
how do you know Troy didn't ask for "too much" money?

it's just two different sides and that's what happens in business negotiations in all fields

you just happen to be biased toward one side. (personally I'm neutral because I never played the Tales game, so I've never heard that Rhys character)

Toasty

Oct 25, 2017
Sidewinder
Uh no, you're assuming things. Baker or his agent may have turned down the initial money amount but were open to more negotiation. Gearbox may not have been open to paying more, so in their opinion, the offer was turned down.
Wouldn't that mean that they would have had to tell him that the offer wouldn't change and he would have had to decline especially if communications were still open? Otherwise isn't that just gearbox rescinding an offer instead of Troy declining?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wouldn't that mean that they would have had to tell him that the offer wouldn't change and he would have had to decline especially if communications were still open? Otherwise isn't that just gearbox rescinding an offer instead of Troy declining?
i think ur reading waaayy too much from two short tweets

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018
Translation: They offered him very low pay. When he counter-offered, they didn't respond and just hired someone else.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Translation: They offered him very low pay. When he counter-offered, they didn't respond and just hired someone else.
I mean, historically, that's more or less what Gearbox does as a company. Hear something costs money or a substantial amount of that they aren't comfortable with, then instead of counter offer, they just find someone else. They don't negotiate.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, historically, that's more or less what Gearbox does as a company. Hear something costs money or a substantial amount of that they aren't comfortable with, then instead of counter offer, they just find someone else. They don't negotiate.
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. They just have to live with the results, but that's their decision.

Negotiating is not mandatory (this part is not directed at you, just a general statement)

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
I find it pretty hard to believe anything Pitchford says anymore. Lol

I don't think Troy would bullshit this IMO, but who knows.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is Pitchford even that involved in that level? He's CEO. He shouldn't be dealing with this stuff.

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018

They Marty O'Donnell'ed him. When audio/vocal talent gets too expensive, you cut'em! The games industry doesn't care about voice and audio talent. They view those individuals as easily replaced, and if they can save costs there, they will.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
As a huge fan of TftB, this is so disappointing.

Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don't think it actually matters at all.
Well, with this ominous quote, there goes any hope I had of Gearbox doing the characters from TftB justice :( Is asking for Rhys + Sasha to be together, plus Fiona and Vaughn by their side, too much?

Tales from the Borderlands is the best Borderlands game, btw

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how this works, but is it at all possible that this is a situation where he was offered a role in the game without being told what the game was? If so, that could be an explanation.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
nFAPIML.gif

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Troy said they were considering him but went with someone else. Randy says he didn't take the job. Huge leading role voice actor probably isn't a cheap hire.