• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017

I'd promise this is the last video I'm doing on Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, but I can't guarantee against His Royal Weirdness doing something else screwed up that merits more. Randy Pitchford's pattern of erratic behavior and continued aggression might have made him a successful YouTuber, but as a CEO of a corporation, as a man who personally goes out of his way to represent the brand, it's beyond untenable. From Colonial Marines to Borderlands 3, whenever there's a controversy involving Gearbox, Randy is almost always in the middle of it. It's time he just... stopped.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am firmly convinced that like 10 years from now Jim is going to buy the full Mysterio costume from this film.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know how that company hasn't burned him at the stake after the news broke about him getting 2K to give him $12 million that would have otherwise have gone to employee bonuses. Your boss is literally taking money from your pockets. He cares nothing for you or your work.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't often watch Jim Sterling but has he always had some sort of...nazi iconography for his thing? Red and black everywhere, platform with mics...? Is it just me?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I still don't know how that company hasn't burned him at the stake after the news broke about him getting 2K to give him $12 million that would have otherwise have gone to employee bonuses. Your boss is literally taking money from your pockets. He cares nothing for you or your work.

I agree but
Something something private company something.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
It has to be so awkward and uncomfortable to be a Gearbox employee. Going in and doing great work day after day, getting excited about a new game being revealed/released . . . and then Randy goes Randy again.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still feel bad for the section 8 devs, Randy fucked them over so hard and no one seems to talk about it

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
Man, I can't wait for Borderlands 3.

Playing through BL GOTY and BL2 again, these are some of my favorite games of last gen. And all the changes made to BL3 seem to be in the right direction to simply update the franchise for 2019.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
It has to be so awkward and uncomfortable to be a Gearbox employee. Going in and doing great work day after day, getting excited about a new game being revealed/released . . . and then Randy goes Randy again.
I said it in another thread but all the drama surrounding Pitchford has by far stuck with me and my brain's retention more than any of the new BL3 info. I thiiiiink guns have alt fires now? But yo you want a detailed breakdown of the train wreck, I can give you that no problem.

So absolutely. Yank his ass off stage. At this point just do trailers and videos resembling the ones Rickstar do that just go over game mechanics and additions.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't often watch Jim Sterling but has he always had some sort of...nazi iconography for his thing? Red and black everywhere, platform with mics...? Is it just me?

He's definitely consciously stepped back from it over the last couple years and now is doing more of a carny / wrestling heel sort of thing, which, not surprisingly, is a much better fit for his persona.

I am, frankly, shocked that Pitchford has somehow never managed to do something that gets his ass sent to prison.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I said it in another thread but all the drama surrounding Pitchford has by far stuck with me and my brain's retention more than any of the new BL3 info. I thiiiiink guns have alt fires now? But yo you want a detailed breakdown of the train wreck, I can give you that no problem.

So absolutely. Yank his ass off stage. At this point just do trailers and videos resembling the ones Rickstar do that just go over game mechanics and additions.

You ain't lying here.

I guess BL3 has some sort of new changing ults now? I don't know. But I sure as hell can tell you about the child sex allegations against Pitchford right now.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

What the fuck how did I never hear about this. That's so fucking slimy.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't watch right now but I assume this is about Randy's ego being too big for his head and negatively affecting the image of Gearbox in general as well as their games? Dude has always been a shithead, problem is he doesn't even realize it and wants to be in the spotlight.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Randy and Boon are poison. As lots of other execs out there. The gaming industry is as big of a cesspool as any other industry.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The last few years far from the spotlights had served as an apt palate cleanser that would give Gearbox the perfect opportunity to move on from having Pitchford as their main spokesperson.

And yet.

Oct 29, 2017
Pitchford is one of the founders of Gearbox. It is possible there is no one left there who can actually force him to do anything legally.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Was expecting to see a picture of Randy cosplaying as Poison. Thread disappointed severely.

Mind you, it's not like anything could top ProJared as Sailor Moon right now.

Oct 27, 2017
What is this post and why is it in this thread
A lot of people get defensive when they get told that their precious games they're hyped for might being made by terrible people or with terrible practices. It was the same around the time RDR2 released. And I'm not saying that ALL of Gearbox is bad, but, as Jim says, its chairman is pure poison to its brand. But since GB is privately owned, there's no board to tell him to knock it off with the Twitter stuff.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last few years far from the spotlights had served as an apt palate cleanser that would give Gearbox the perfect opportunity to move on from having Pitchford as their main spokesperson.

And yet.
Yeah recently it's proven you don't need celebrities, just find someone charismatic enough who can be a spokesperson. It doesn't need to be randy. Just someone who isn't a piece of shit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Good video.

Can''t wait until either Pitchford fucks off or they stop reporting on him.

Oct 29, 2017
Randy always struck me as exactly the charlatan magician that he is. He's smarmy and always attempting to sell you on the trick.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Easy, here is 12 million, thanks Take 2, here put 2 million in you pocket Take 2 execs, sssh ;)

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States

I always got a V for Vandetta/ The Spirit vibe off of him. I'm purely speculating here but I wouldn't be surprised if he got some inspiration from the film since it was still pretty big when he started.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I don't want to talk badly of another person so I will just say this, it's probably best for the industry as a whole if Pitchford stepped away.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand how he wasn't removed or sued into oblivion after the whole Colonial Marines thing.

This guy has been a known scumbag for years, and not the kind that investors like. I don't get why he's still running Gearbox.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Randy and Boon are poison. As lots of other execs out there. The gaming industry is as big of a cesspool as any other industry.

Hold on, i know Boon is in the middle of a horrible crunch culture controversy and must be called out for it rightfully, but besides that what's he done that is comparable to the constant fuckery of Pitchford?

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty wild how people seem to forget how much of a scumbag he has been just because of the Borderlands 3 reveal. It was a hell of a swing compared to a few months ago.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand how he wasn't removed or sued into oblivion after the whole Colonial Marines thing.

This guy has been a known scumbag for years, and not the kind that investors like. I don't get why he's still running Gearbox.
Because GB is a private company. Take 2 is public, but GB makes them money, and really, that is the only thing investors with clout care about.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So so ridiculous. I just have to shake head at pitchford. I feel sorry for everyone that works with the guy