• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Btw, the people who made that pdf and hosting it, bra-fucking-vo.

You are doing exactly what the gaming press isn't. While that is a sad and sobering realization, I commend what you put together there and voicing the valid concerns of the Epic Game Store without parroting the PR talking points.

You all rock!

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about Borderlands 3 coming out is going to be the unbelievable PR nightmare that occurs every time this man opens his mouth. Can't wait to see what he has in store over the next 6 months!

Oct 27, 2017
He must be worried about preorders. Sounds desperate.
17888.jpg

Randy should just take his paycheck and shut up. Engaging in moronic arguments defense of the pay he just took is just a bad look and will make people resentful of his company's products.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

You are doing exactly what the gaming press isn't. While that is a sad and sobering realization, I commend what you put together there and voicing the valid concerns of the Epic Game Store without parroting the PR talking points.

You all rock!

It's Hektor 's work and it is indeed great.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
For EGS specifically? Dunno. Talking in general. Source is Benji

What do you think this thread is about, or what Randy is even talking about? Of course someone talking about preorders here would be just the Epic store.

We don't have any numbers or even hints about the preorders from the EpicStore. Epic deliberately does not show anything outside of PR statements.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017

You all rock!
Agreed. Shame some people are reporting it which lead to it being removed from Google for breach of TOS 🤔

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think this thread is about, or what Randy is even talking about? Of course someone talking about preorders here would be just the Epic store.

We don't have any numbers or even hints about the preorders from the EpicStore. Epic deliberately does not show anything outside of PR statements.
I'm saying he has no reason to be worried about pre orders in general. And they most likely took a 9 figure paycheck for EGS anyway, doubt he's all that worried if PC is tracking lower than usual.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
http://epic.pcgamingera.com/Epic.pdf

In short:

-No basic functions (achievments, cloud saves)
-Games only available on the store and some on Humble Bundle
-Games got more expensive in some regions
-In some regions customers have to pay processment fees
-Chinese cant play exclusive games there now. Epic literally blocks chinese IPs to access the store/website.
-Not available for Linux/Mac
-Epic rejects games like Android Assault Cactus so you have curation back (could be seen as good or bad)
-No easy way to play the games on a TV if you play games on TV
-Does not support standard controllers like DS4/Switch Pro that competitors do (like Steam or uPlay)

As a storefront itself its also lacking with currently no wishlistes, Developers or Publisher pages, Genres, tags etc.

etc.
Thanks

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm saying he has no reason to be worried about pre orders in general. And they most likely took a 9 figure paycheck for EGS anyway, doubt he's all that worried if PC is tracking lower than usual.

EGS paid $100,000,000+ for a 6-month exclusive? They'd have to sell about 2 million copies in those 6-months to break even. BL2 has sold 13 million lifetime across all platforms. I don't buy the 9 figure deal.

edit: Wikipedia sales data seems out-of-date. My bad. Still don't think they received a 9-figure moneyhat.

Last edited:

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
There is no value in the comments of someone who got paid to be on EGS. They are biased and we should ignore their opinions.

If they want to "save" PC games, where are their sales numbers? You can't save anything if you are not showing market share gain in that industry. All we got was some fudged numbers for one high profile game. Contrast EGS' obfuscation to all the indie devs celebrating good sales numbers from the Switch (which I'm sure Nintendo did not pay then all to do). If EGS sales were knocking it out of the park we would know.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
EGS paid $100,000,000+ for a 6-month exclusive? They'd have to sell about 2 million copies in those 6-months to break even. BL2 has sold 13 million lifetime across all platforms. I don't buy the 9 figure deal.
Errrr, BL2 sold 11 over million on PC and over 25 million across everything

Nov 14, 2017
Well no, I personally think it's ridiculous that of all things that you could get riled up about in this industry, it's about the EGS.

Competition in the market is a good thing, Valve has droooopppppeeed the ball in terms of making their store front quality, they opened the floodgates to bullshit and they don't currently deserve the monopoly they have (or had).

The EGS having exclusive games doesn't mean you have to buy a new PC, you just download a new client.

It's annoying, sure, but the out of proportion reaction to the EGS is precisely why nobody treats gaming communities seriously, it's up there with "SJW's ruining Battlefield 3."
why is it that so many EGS defenders try to downplay anti-EGS arguments with comparisons to the alt-right 🤔

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so hard to just say "we like the money upfront, it gives us some extra financial security to make payroll, and we like the 12% cut and would like to see it lowered across the board, so for these two reasons we support Epic"

Just be honest without the unnecessary spin ffs

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to just say "we like the money upfront, it gives us some extra financial security to make payroll, and we like the 12% cut and would like to see it lowered across the board, so for these two reasons we support Epic"

Just be honest without the unnecessary spin ffs

Because they buy into Epic's PR and are in bed with them.

Unlike the Satisfactory devs which admitted up front this is just for the money they got paid. And you haven't really heard anything else about them, no drama or anything.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
There is no value in the comments of someone who got paid to be on EGS. They are biased and we should ignore their opinions.

If they want to "save" PC games, where are their sales numbers? You can't save anything if you are not showing market share gain in that industry. All we got was some fudged numbers for one high profile game. Contrast EGS' obfuscation to all the indie devs celebrating good sales numbers from the Switch (which I'm sure Nintendo did not pay then all to do). If EGS sales were knocking it out of the park we would know.
When Borderlands 3 comes out Randy will most certainly tweet out the same wishy-washy "we did x% better during the first x minutes of the first x hours of launch for BL3 than Borderlands 2 did during the same time on Steam" that Deep Silver did for Metro.

Say it did better but be incredibly vague about the numbers, mainly by not providing any actual numbers or how they drew their conclusions.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
http://epic.pcgamingera.com/Epic.pdf

In short:

-No basic functions (achievments, cloud saves)
-Games only available on the store and some on Humble Bundle
-Games got more expensive in some regions
-In some regions customers have to pay processment fees
-Chinese cant play exclusive games there now. Epic literally blocks chinese IPs to access the store/website.
-Not available for Linux/Mac
-Epic rejects games like Android Assault Cactus so you have curation back (could be seen as good or bad)
-No easy way to play the games on a TV if you play games on TV
-Does not support standard controllers like DS4/Switch Pro that competitors do (like Steam or uPlay)

As a storefront itself its also lacking with currently no wishlistes, Developers or Publisher pages, Genres, tags etc.

etc.
Your post is infinitely better than the Google Doc I read. The Google Doc is full of false/leading questions and tried to portray itself as balanced whilst coming across as completely 1 sided.

Anyone who cites that PDF as somehow "winning" the argument seems to be missing the point.

With the list youve posted above, I can actually see and understand the features that are missing...at the moment...and that matters as games are exclusive right now.

I do believe the longer term arguments though. EGS cannot pay for scloosies forever, so they will need all the shiny features of a "real" storefront....and I think they will bring them. I also think it will lead to cheaper/more efficient pricing in the long term. Using current third party key resellers as an argument for steam seems bonkers to me.

I'm up for debating the pros and cons of the stores...but so many posts reek of "get off my land!" tribalism, that it's pretty off-putting.

Oct 25, 2017

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I like that everyone's accusing Randy of shilling because he got paid when there's a simultaneous argument in every EGS thread claiming that developers don't get any of the EGS money, lol.

Anyway, Randy's points are solid and in-line with what industry friends are saying on Facebook.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I like that everyone's accusing Randy of shilling because he got paid when there's a simultaneous argument in every EGS thread claiming that developers don't get any of the EGS money, lol.

Anyway, Randy's points are solid and in-line with what industry friends are saying on Facebook.

So other developers believe Steam will die in 10 years?

Or that Epic is benevelont and will save PC gaming? Or that PC gaming needs to be saved?

Those are literally some of Randy's talking points in the OP.

I'm tired of this 'Well people I know agree with some non-specific points I see here'.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

Struggling indie devs dont (see Assault android cactus ) , devs who get paid by Epic are devs that dont need them to succeed and are doing fine/great/amazing on steam already, they are just greedy as fuck and would rather destroy their community reception just for a paycheck.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Your post is infinitely better than the Google Doc I read. The Google Doc is full of false/leading questions and tried to portray itself as balanced whilst coming across as completely 1 sided.

Anyone who cites that PDF as somehow "winning" the argument seems to be missing the point.

With the list youve posted above, I can actually see and understand the features that are missing...at the moment...and that matters as games are exclusive right now.

I do believe the longer term arguments though. EGS cannot pay for scloosies forever, so they will need all the shiny features of a "real" storefront....and I think they will bring them. I also think it will lead to cheaper/more efficient pricing in the long term. Using current third party key resellers as an argument for steam seems bonkers to me.

I'm up for debating the pros and cons of the stores...but so many posts reek of "get off my land!" tribalism, that it's pretty off-putting.

Agree on the pdf

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I dont have an issue with bias in the op, it's clear and not trying to present itself differently or as impartial

I dont know why this guy is so twitter happy, i havent really followed his career to know whether he is normally like this or if the internet hazing is getting to him

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017

What specific parts of the linked PDF do you disagree with?
And what is wrong with "Using current third party key resellers as an argument for steam"? Letting developers sell their games on their own stores where they can take a 100% (minus transaction fees of course) cut is the best solution.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

It is meant to present the customer/PC gamer argument against the Epic Store so that people with no knowledge of the situation can quickly get up to speed on the reasons that PC gamers are protesting against Epic's policies.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I actually agree with Randy on almost everything here. Valve is faltering and I'm glad EGS is stepping in and I wanna see where they go with it. Now I highly doubt steam Is gonna just sit by the wayside and let it happen so i doubt they will.be gone in 10 years but I'm glad for them getting shook a little. Whether through exclusives or features competition is competition

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with Randy on almost everything here. Valve is faltering and I'm glad EGS is stepping in and I wanna see where they go with it. Now I highly doubt steam Is gonna just sit by the wayside and let it happen so i doubt they will.be gone in 10 years but I'm glad for them getting shook a little. Whether through exclusives or features competition is competition

What is EGS stepping in with?

2009-esque curation that kicks off legitimate indie games?
Charging developing countries more money to pay for the same games?
Locking out one countries that is now one of the biggest rising consumers/buyers of games?
Not having the basic features or security from 2005 much less 2019?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So other developers believe Steam will die in 10 years?

Or that Epic is benevelont and will save PC gaming? Or that PC gaming needs to be saved?

Those are literally some of Randy's talking points in the OP.
If you actually read the article he says :

"When we look back at Steam in five or ten years, it may look like a dying store and other, competitive stores, will be the place to be."

"The competitive store that happens to be the leader in 10 years may not be Epic's store, but it probably won't be Valve's "

"The faster Valve can maneuver, the longer it can stay ahead of Epic on features. "

"Steam will have no choice but to either give up, lose or to get better faster than ever before. This is good for Steam customers, developers and publishers. Because Valve is pretty damn good with some awesome talent, I do not expect them to give up or to lose. They'll fight for it. And they'll hang on. There's even a chance they come out on top "

"Epic has credibility here because they have been supplying engine technology to the industry for over 20 years and we have all come to be able to trust and rely upon Epic's fair play and good will."

These are all sound and logical things to say. The only way anyone (and from the looks of it most people in this thread) can infer all those to mean "steam will die and Epic will save us all because they are benevolent" is if people don't actually read, read the OP's loaded/biased tldr or just want to post against him because it's Randy Pitchford or because he's talking about EGS. And that last quote about Epic's credibility in the industry with respect to trust and reliance, is an important point to note. It attracts publishers and developers a lot when a company that's been good for them and the industry for all these years offers them an alternative that provides a better payoff.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

"When we look back at Steam in five or ten years, it may look like a dying store and other, competitive stores, will be the place to be."

"The competitive store that happens to be the leader in 10 years may not be Epic's store, but it probably won't be Valve's "

"The faster Valve can maneuver, the longer it can stay ahead of Epic on features. "

"Steam will have no choice but to either give up, lose or to get better faster than ever before. This is good for Steam customers, developers and publishers. Because Valve is pretty damn good with some awesome talent, I do not expect them to give up or to lose. They'll fight for it. And they'll hang on. There's even a chance they come out on top "

"Epic has credibility here because they have been supplying engine technology to the industry for over 20 years and we have all come to be able to trust and rely upon Epic's fair play and good will."

These are all sound arguments. The only way anyone (and from the looks of it most people in this thread) can infer all those to mean "steam will die and Epic will save us all because they are benevolent" is if people don't actually read and just want to post against him because it's Randy Pitchford and he's talking about EGS. And that last quote about Epic's credibility in the industry with respect to trust and reliance, is an important point to note. It attracts publishers and developers a lot when a company that's been good for them and the industry for all these years offers them an alternative that provides a better payoff.

So 'may' excuses it all.

And Epic's good will still says nothing about consumers in his rant.

So while you parse his talking points in one lense, I do not agree with you points.

Randy's previous actions speak much more loudly at how I trust his words.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah im heavily interested in where we'll be in like 7-8 years. My take (got banned for this a week or so ago; i am not promoting anything) is that it will usher in a new contexualized age of piracy. Not really like the golden age back in the day, but working off of gabe's theory of piracy as driven by service rather than things like price or drm.

I feel like google is best positioned to take advantage of this theoretical future with Stadia, if we follow the line of music piracy -> streaming services. Unfortunately for the music industry, streaming services work with/essentially become owned by majors and i can see the same thing happening with game streaming and triple A's, but we'll see

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
User Warned: Antagonizing other members

These are all sound and logical things to say. The only way anyone (and from the looks of it most people in this thread) can infer all those to mean "steam will die and Epic will save us all because they are benevolent" is if people don't actually read, read the OP's loaded/biased tldr or just want to post against him because it's Randy Pitchford or because he's talking about EGS. And that last quote about Epic's credibility in the industry with respect to trust and reliance, is an important point to note. It attracts publishers and developers a lot when a company that's been good for them and the industry for all these years offers them an alternative that provides a better payoff.
They're all very fair points, but asking for Era to look at an EGS opinion objectively is asking for too much.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It sold 12-13 million in all platforms in 2015. By 2018, it had reached 11mi on Steam alone: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...recise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/2/

Isn't the 25mi figure adding all three Borderlands games?
Hmm, I can't find where I got that number from. Borderlands 1 sold about 7-8 million LTD in 2016. Franchise sales were at 26 million 2015 with 13m coming from BL2. Since it's 4 years later and PC accounts for nearly 12m alone (and BL2 in general has been a steady seller), I think it would be safe to say that it's sold over 20m.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah im heavily interested in where we'll be in like 7-8 years. My take (got banned for this a week or so ago; i am not promoting anything) is that it will usher in a new contexualized age of piracy. Not really like the golden age back in the day, but working off of gabe's theory of piracy as driven by service rather than things like price or drm.

I feel like google is best positioned to take advantage of this theoretical future with Stadia, if we follow the line of music piracy -> streaming services. Unfortunately for the music industry, streaming services work with/essentially become owned by majors and i can see the same thing happening with game streaming and triple A's, but we'll see
They're all very fair points, but asking for Era to look at an EGS opinion objectively is asking for too much.

It's intreasting that for Epic, we have to parse their talking points in the very best and precise way.

But the same isn't given for any arguements about Steam or Valve. Hyperbole is allowed and even encouraged.

I guess it's asking too much of Era to look at a Steam Opinion objectively is asking too much.

Even you Nome, parrot twitter rhetoric about Steam without any of the nuance you give Epic and arguements for it.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
That PDF should be added to the EGS thread guidelines. Threadmarked on every EGS discussion.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is, if going exclusive to EGS was that important to Randy, why did he take money for it?

I would assume that they would do it no matter the cost if it meant saving PC gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Era's not in agreement with what we think of EGS though. Otherwise this wouldn't be much of a discussion, now would it?
So I don't know what you're trying to imply here.
It's intreasting that for Epic, we have to parse their talking points in the very best and precise way.

But the same isn't given for any arguements about Steam or Valve. Hyperbole is allowed and even encouraged.

I guess it's asking too much of Era to look at a Steam Opinion objectively is asking too much.

Even you Nome, parrot twitter rhetoric about Steam without any of the nuance you give Epic and arguements for it.
Exactly.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
"they are all fair points but i'm not presenting any evidences that they are"
"this billion dollar worth CEO definitely knows the consumer's needs more than the consumers themselves"
Ok

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Nah, it's asking too much for anyone within the industry that could professionally or financially benefit from this deal to take consumer concerns into account. We don't know what's good for us and entitled after all.

I want to know what people in the industry and friends of people in the industry believe is good for unwashed consumers. They are the impartial ones. No conflict of interest there.

Last edited: