• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Jesus I wish people like Randy would just take Epic's money and shut up. You would think it was hard to come away from this kind of moneyhatting looking worse than if you'd just said nothing, but whenever they start going on about "competition" and making predictions about the future the cringe factor just goes through the roof for me

If he just said "We made a business decision and we hope that our fans understand" and then got the hell off twitter and enjoyed his millions, this wouldn't be the 10th thread on him and the EGS.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I have no issue with storefronts (see origin, uplay etc.) but these senior execs falling upwards making some kind of pro consumer argument out of this is embarassing as fuck.

Just say you earn more money and couldn't care less about the consumer as long as your games are selling.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Tim & co. just can't let a week go by without personally stoking the flames. Shocker.

It is amusing to see folks like Randy bending over backwards to corporatesplain how this will ultimately benefit consumers too. Waiting for him to do a full heel turn and say it won't be on Steam at all.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with storefronts (see origin, uplay etc.) but these senior execs falling upwards making some kind of pro consumer argument out of this is embarassing as fuck.

Just say you earn more money and couldn't care less about the consumer as long as your games are selling.
That's why Bobby Kotick is better than Randy. At least he tells you he's in it for the money! Which is fine, just be honest about it!

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
How is bl3 being a timed epic exclusive any different than 2nd party exclusives on consoles? Is it just because this is new for the pc gaming world?

It's different from what you could call "2nd party exclusives", but not so different from third parties exclusives, and yes it is not something people are used to in the PC gaming world. It's a shitty practice and consumers should not welcome it, especially when we are talking about games already in development and that were pretty much guaranteed to be on other stores (65% of their exclusives are sequels). They are not funding or "saving" any games, just paying for these to be removed from other stores.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Epic is throwing huge amounts of money around, everyone is lining up for a piece before it inevitably runs out. The same people will drop Epic as soon as they find a better deal. Part of the cheque is an agreed narrative to follow. Steam is a monoploy... Epic is thinking of consumers... Features don't matter... People who can't access common payment systems won't be missed... Influencers actually influence...

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Is Tim that desperate that he has to use a completely untrustworthy character who is notorious for being a pathological liar as a witness to why his store is the great saviour of PC gaming?

How is bl3 being a timed epic exclusive any different than 2nd party exclusives on consoles? Is it just because this is new for the pc gaming world?
"Second party" games are third party games that are fully funded by first party companies that wouldn't exist otherwise. What Epic has been doing is little more than paying for timed exclusivity on games they otherwise have no stake in otherwise, and given how chilly folks have gotten on them this console generation, like we saw on Rise of the Tomb Raider, bringing those types of business practices on a platform that had virtual consumer freedom on how and where to buy games, you can imagine why that hasn't been a popular line of thinking with that crowd.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I think OP's are supposed to be more unbiased, else you're just pushing discussion down your preferred path.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Epic is throwing huge amounts of money around, everyone is lining up for a piece before it inevitably runs out. The same people will drop Epic as soon as they find a better deal. Part of the cheque is an agreed narrative to follow. Steam is a monoploy... Epic is thinking of consumers... Features don't matter... People who can't access common payment systems won't be missed... Influencers actually influence...

The worst part of it is, this whole situation made some studios and indies I was extremely fond of turn their coats overnight. It makes me really sad that I know I'll never buy anything ever again from Heart Machine, Double Damage, Supergiant, etc.

It's not out of spite but out of principle and they sealed their fates by selling out but I'd rather none of this had ever happened.

Oct 25, 2017
"If you want to play in China, we have a product for you..."
aLwsQmu.jpg

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I think OP's are supposed to be more unbiased, else you're just pushing discussion down your preferred path.

Nearly the entire OP is quoted tweets. The only bit added I would consider biased is in the TL;DR when he says Randy calls Valve evil. Randy never said that AFAIK but it's not difficult to read between the lines that Randy does not care for Valve. Otherwise nearly the entire OP is verbatim from Tim/Randy.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude thinks Borderlands 3 success is a given. The world of loot shooters has changed since the last time he put out a game in the genre and by the look of their initial reveal, if anyone has been resting on their laurels, it's been Gearbox. Arrogant prick.

Anyone who says Steam was a monopoly automatically loses my attention. It's a completely uninformed claim that is also wrong.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Of course he would say that, Randy Pitchford being Randy Pitchford is exactly why many of us expected B3 to be an EGS timed exclusive before the game was even officially announced.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually I don't really need to argue the reasons against Epic at the moment when I can just point to price discrepancy. As of the time before pre orders were taken off, it was cheaper for me to buy Anno 1800 on Steam then it was Epic by $10. Other games, upwards of $20 even. Epic is pushing $100AUD games back onto the PC market for Australians and that's apparently pro consumer?

I'm sorry, but ignore all facts as much as you want and claim until your heart bleeds that Epic is amazing and fuck Steam, but do not ignore this in your pro admiration for them. They are more expensive then even the competitor they are so boldly calling a monopoly and are forcing me to buy games through. I don't know how much more obvious I need to make it.

If you are ignoring that to state Epic is great, you are being disingenuous.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017

A lot of times, 2nd party games wouldn't be made without the funding of the studio in the first place. What is better to compare it to is timed 3rd party games that are exclusive to a platform for a few months or years. Case in point, Tomb Raider on the xbox, releasing a year later on playstation and Destiny strikes for playstation. In both cases, there was a large uproar about the shady practices, which is no different here.

Oct 25, 2017
He comes from an educated perspective on this and I would agree with him that it is good. Hearing it come from people who release games gives it a lot more weight than consumers.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
lol if he thinks it's absurd then he shouldn't put BL3 on consoles, right?

Yet somehow the cut on consoles is apparently fine and completely absent from these conversations. Related to the cut, the fact that keys can be generated with up to 100% of the profits to the developer is also completely ignored. The cut Valve takes in practice is a lot lower than 30%.

This is a good read. It gets really good from part 2 on.

My view on this is that if you want to be intellectually honest about the cut, you have to tackle it in lockstep on all platforms since 30% is the industry standard.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry this might seem weird, but what exactly is the issue with the Epic Game Store?

As far as I am concerned it's just another Launcher, so it's not really a problem.
Is it about the lack of features?

Geniuly asking, I don't get the exact problem.

There are a plethora of reasons to be frustrated with Epic's moves surrounding their new store, but it really boils down to their actively being anti-consumer and removing choices, options, and features that would have otherwise existed for players of games they decide to moneyhat to be exclusive to their store. It's an outright attack on consumers and the fact that they double down and have the nerve to tell potential purchasers that, no, this is actually good for them and that they are trying to "save" PC gaming (despite being one of the biggest companies to abandon it a decade ago) is just beyond the pale.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Yet someone the cut on consoles is completely absent from these conversations. The fact that keys can be generated with up to 100% of the profits to the developer is also completely ignored. The cut Valve takes in practice is a lot lower than 30%.

Ofcourse it's absent. It's inconvenient to their PR talking points about "the developer publisher cut"

This is about corporate or personal self interest and shilling a narrative, not a good faith discussion or debate.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise the Epic Game Store had the same gravitas as Brexit.

Objectively, it doesn't, but on a personal level for some people? It probably has more. For example, people who find their release in gaming and live in territories where Epic does not and likely will not offer their service. They're getting royally screwed.

Anyway, your argument (if I can call that--I'm pretty sure you're just trolling) is nonsense. We can care about multiple things at once.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Yet somehow the cut on consoles is apparently fine and completely absent from these conversations. Related to the cut, the fact that keys can be generated with up to 100% of the profits to the developer is also completely ignored. The cut Valve takes in practice is a lot lower than 30%.

My view on this is that if you want to be intellectually honest about the cut, you have to tackle it in lockstep on all platforms since 30% is the industry standard.
An aside, but I'm glad to see someone else bring up the split for MTX creators as a Valve criticism, it pretty much never gets brought up.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The funny part is that console owners arguably do less and offer less to justify their cut for digital purchases than Steam.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Randy Pitchford is yet another pro-Epic industry person that failed to field even a single argument as to why customers should support Epic. He posted so much stuff yet he didn't manage to find one reason for supporting Epic that is to the benefit of customers. Not a single one. Every other person that has argued in favor of Epic, from publishers and developers to journalists, has also failed in similar fashion.

No one can argue beyond cliches and trickle-down economic theories because the truth is that there are zero benefits for customers. Precisely zero. Epic's policies are eliminating customer choice, they are forcing the use of a shockingly sub-par service and distorting the effects of actual, customer-focused competition.

People like Randy Pitchford are being paid more money because of Epic's moneyhats and that's why they are supporting the company. They don't care about the customers and they certainly don't care about the health of the PC platform. People like Tim Sweeney and Randy Pitchford are trying to force customers down a certain path, they are experiencing significant pushback and that's why they spend time out of their busy schedule to convince us that them making more money is somehow good for us, even if we are getting screwed over in the process.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Ignoring staff post, inflammatory false equivalencies, and antagonizing other members over a series of posts
And you immediately validate the criticism with this ridiculous post.
Well no, I personally think it's ridiculous that of all things that you could get riled up about in this industry, it's about the EGS.

Competition in the market is a good thing, Valve has droooopppppeeed the ball in terms of making their store front quality, they opened the floodgates to bullshit and they don't currently deserve the monopoly they have (or had).

The EGS having exclusive games doesn't mean you have to buy a new PC, you just download a new client.

It's annoying, sure, but the out of proportion reaction to the EGS is precisely why nobody treats gaming communities seriously, it's up there with "SJW's ruining Battlefield 3."

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Ofcourse it's absent. It's inconvenient to their PR talking points about "the developer publisher cut"

This is about corporate or personal self interest and shilling a narrative, not a good faith discussion or debate.

Wouldn't it be a sight to see if Eurogamer, Kotaku, PC Gamer and all these outlets took Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to task for their "obscene" cut though?

Seriously, I wish that some good came out of this. If for example this brought about a realization about the drawbacks of the walled garden design every console shares, it'd be pretty sweet, especially as they slowly turn into PCs more and more. The only reason this conversation - as distasteful and corrupt as it sometimes gets - can even happen on PC is because the platform is so open.

This is a basic fact of the PC platform that even people defending EGS should appreciate and fight for.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed. I was ready to try and reply to Randy's comments.

But he really did it. He went and elaborated a long and complex essay, going at the very minimum details with great effort to repeat the same bullshit PR spins we are already tired to see, while dribbling around some points that can't really be spun. Amazingly crafted narrative about "features" and how this is all a bet for the future - a future that is just better. For all of us. I'm just baffled. Not to mention the same tired misinformation and bad faith takes.

Even though there is a specific point I agree with, it is contextualized and weaponized in the dumbest and most predictable way.

Nothing about this ""explanation"" is even remotely worth engaging or rebutting.
If you actually read through the whole thing, hell, HALF of the thing, and think otherwise, or found it thoughtful in some way, I am just laughing at you. He throws one sentence that directly contradicts the previous one at such pace, it would make my essay teacher from highschool blush. And it's long winded, holy balls hahahahaha

Oh, and also:

There is an important question I think is worth asking: What are these company's values and given that, which of these companies is more likely to progress at the fastest rate on behalf of the customer and the developer/publisher?

CEOs talking about company values lmao

Track record combined with company values and the situation at the companies. I can explain all of those. First, track record. Now, I have a bit of authority on this topic of track record between these companies.

And here we are... It's a year with fewer huge titles than we've seen in years. It's a year where the consoles are at peak life-cycle and PC store fronts are getting rattled. And in a world where EA and ATVI cannot really be the ones to take the risk to help the forcing function happen, Take Two shows some balls and steps up with our game, Borderlands 3, to be the content that catalyzes this moment.
this motherfucker should stop with this magic shit and start a career as a comedian oh my god ahahahahahahaahah

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well no, I personally think it's ridiculous that of all things that you could get riled up about in this industry, it's about the EGS.

Competition in the market is a good thing, Valve has droooopppppeeed the ball in terms of making their store front quality, they opened the floodgates to bullshit and they don't currently deserve the monopoly they have (or had).

The EGS having exclusive games doesn't mean you have to buy a new PC, you just download a new client.

It's annoying, sure, but the out of proportion reaction to the EGS is precisely why nobody treats gaming communities seriously, it's up there with "SJW's ruining Battlefield 3."

You're completely ignorant about this topic you obviously do not care about and you need to stop.

Valve has never had a monopoly. They started allowing just about anything on the store after intense industry criticism for how bad and unfair their curation and approval process was. Now they are being criticized for not curating despite offering plenty of tools to the community to do so. Could it be better? Sure, but someone is always going to lose out in a curation scenario.

EGS is not doing a good job either and they've basically stated that they don't plan to, either. They just have fewer games right now. It will turn to shit, too, if they ever get to even half the size of Steam. It's ridiculous that you're arguing that having fewer games to buy is a good thing or that moneyhatting exclusives is competition we should be happy about as consumers.

Your comparison to "SJWs ruining shit" is just inflammatory nonsense that I can only hope is actioned against.

Just because you personally don't give a shit does not mean that the people who do care do not have valid concerns.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry this might seem weird, but what exactly is the issue with the Epic Game Store?

As far as I am concerned it's just another Launcher, so it's not really a problem.
Is it about the lack of features?

Geniuly asking, I don't get the exact problem.
For most people there's not a significant issue to be fair.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
And gog is barley making any profit and they laid off a bunch of people, why? because they weren't competitive.
Valve does gives you a choice, you either activate it on steam or you don't get to play it.
Epic are already solving steam's biggest problem of curation and they are only a couple of months on the market, if they will continue to add more features by the end of the year then I don't see the problem. The games are not exclusive forever so how can you even say that it will "eventually lead to a monopoly" when people here don't even want to use it? Kind of a paradox.
They are not "taking" or "forcing" devs to do anything, it was their choice.

The reason GOG has struggled is because it IS pro-consumer, their no DRM policy is what stops developers and publishers using them for new releases.

That's not down to GOG, that's down to publishers and developers wanting DRM.

I would be willing to bet hard money on that if all the new releases came out on GOG and offered DRM free games for new releases they would be more successful than Steam long term.

Also, whilst you're right to say these games can only be activated on steam, the more important point is that the KEYS can be purchased from multiple outlets at different price points, therefore keeping other companies in business and offering true competition.

They aren't "solving curation" they are taking it backward by putting in place their own selective policy which limits the indie games than go on their store based on their own assessment of what constitutes as "quality" which was the same mistake Valve made before they changed their policy, it's sending things backwards, not forwards and again limiting consumer choice.

I understand they are not literally forcing developers but no developer is going to turn down a huge bag of cash which removes any risk and immediately puts them in the black, that would be ridiculous and Epic know this.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He comes from an educated perspective on this and I would agree with him that it is good. Hearing it come from people who release games gives it a lot more weight than consumers.

I've never understood this "support the devs above all else" mentality. A consumer's opinion on a consumer-facing service that someone is trying to sell them is a hell of a lot more important.

For most people there's not a significant issue to be fair.

Most people who don't use Steam in the first place, maybe.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I hear this argument so much and I don't understand why people are willing to bend over backwards to defend decisions that actively work against their interests as consumers.

Randy Pitchford might be educated in the business but it doesn't mean he can predict the future and it doesn't mean he is looking out for consumers best interests, if anything his track record shows he is working against the interests of consumers and the second he is called out in it he tries to play the victim or handwave complaints.

People seem so willing to put the interests of companies before themselves these days.