• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't realistic to say a game could and should hit 500k concurrent at launch, considering it's never been done before for a full price game
500k CCU is just an estimate based on the numbers alone. The real number would probably be way above those 500k.

You need to factor in that the 125k CCU from BL2 happened in 2012. That was a time when Steam only had around 6 million active users at a time and people didn't buy as many games as they to today.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that having a 4 times larger player base would also result in ... well... 4 times as many players.

You also need to realize that especially Borderlands2 and Steam have a very special relation. Some say that Steam grew this big after 2012 because of BL2, others say that Borderlands became todays Juggernaut because of Steam. Whatever the truth is: you can be sure that Borderlands has more fans and more sales potential (due to that special relation) within the Steam community than any other community out there, including the consoles combined.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like Randy wins. He gets that Epic money along with launch numbers he appears to be more than happy with, then later his game will get a sales boost from people who (hilariously) think they're sticking it to the man by waiting to buy it on Steam. The number of truly lost sales because of the Epic deal is negligible and everyone involved in these decisions knows that.

Epic wins by getting however many new users they did.

Steam wins by their loyalists waiting to give their money to Gaben.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Looks like Randy wins. He gets that Epic money along with launch numbers he appears to be more than happy with, then later his game will get a sales boost from people who (hilariously) think they're sticking it to the man by waiting to buy it on Steam. The number of truly lost sales because of the Epic deal is negligible and everyone involved in these decisions knows that.

Game over.
The numbers that you pulled out of your ass I guess. That's the hilarious thing here for sure.
If everybody knows that why literally no one with a EGS exclusive has showed their number? Game over for forfeit :)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Game over.
Imagine being like this guys. I will be waiting for a steam sale, because yeah I don't support the EGS, and its not laughable you clown.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Also important to note that gearbox is making more per unit sold and that possible numbers sold on steam need to be compared at the new rate, meaning that for them the ceiling they want/need to break is a decent amount lower. This includes the discount for using unreal engine

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Lovely how we are talking about revenues and shit when we have Zero actual numbers. The effort of EGS defense still impresses me.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I nominate myself for executive captain platinum edition of the EGS Defense Force

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
So we don't have real numbers

It's kinda funny because the say the same with every game launched in the EGS without giving any real sales data.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Epic wins by getting however many new users they did.

Steam wins by their loyalists waiting to give their money to Gaben.

Literally none of what you said is true right now.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Its gonna look funny, this thread, when Borderlands 3 releases on steam after 6 months, despite many many people having reservations against rewarding gearbox and 2k for the exclusivity, a lot of people will still get it day 1 on steam and then you should check the concurrent player count lol, you'll yourselves see how much the player count will go up on steam. Iam guessing that it'll reach this 240-250K concurrent player number at launch easily or more. Its just that popular on PC just like Fallout 4, GTAV, etc.