• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Of course Borderland 3 will sell well. Saying Borderland 3 won't sell well is like saying the next Elder Scroll won't sell well.

A quarter million concurrent players on a single platform (assuming that is correct), on a single infamous store, doubling the best day your previous game ever had is outstanding.
Well that 120k number is from 2012.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
240k really only sounds okay'ish for a Borderlands3 release in 2019

That's concurrent numbers, that likely means over 800k in day one sales, and I'm being super conservative on that

To compare peak numbers:

Monster Hunter World: 334k (this game sold huge numbers)
GTA V: 364k (same)
Greedfall: 16k (not a fair comparison, but just shows the expectations for number differences)

If you go off and just say straight 250k, it's the 11th biggest title on most played players for Steam's chart, and that's at launch.

It's a really strong launch number to go off of, especially considering Borderlands titles have a pretty long tail.

To be honest, I would generally recommend not worrying about numbers like these anyways, as it is literally day one for the game.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
240k concurrent players doesn't even earn you a spot in the Steam Top10. You're prolly looking at the 15th place or something.

That simply isn't true. Games like TF2, Warframe, and GTA 5 regularly enter and exit the top 10 despite having 100k or less concurrent players. The disparity between Dota and Pub, then everything else is huge.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
If you go off and just say straight 250k, it's the 11th biggest title on most played players for Steam's chart, and that's at launch.

It's a really strong launch number to go off of, especially considering Borderlands titles have a pretty long tail.

To be honest, I would generally recommend not worrying about numbers like these anyways, as it is literally day one for the game.
We all know where that tail is gonna be, though.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's concurrent numbers, that likely means over 800k in day one sales, and I'm being super conservative on that
Yeah, it's a 240k CCU and here's the current Steam top10 concurrent users (CCU) chart for comparison

QMsTt78.jpg

Compared to that BL3 having only 240k remains "okay'ish" because it should have otherwise easily reached a range of 500k++ CCU

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he's talking about the record peak chart, not the regular chart.

Ah, can I have a link to this chart? I am not finding all-time record numbers. Would still love to look at this, I still doubt 250k peak concurrent wouldn't put you in the top 10 or just about. Which for day 1 on a separate store everybody loves to hate, is still likely excellent.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
He says all-time, what are you talking about
The all time peak is on September 2012, on launch.

Ah, can I have a link to this chart? I am not finding all-time record numbers. Would still love to look at this, I still doubt 250k peak concurrent wouldn't put you in the top 10 or just about. Which for day 1 on a separate store everybody loves to hate, is still likely excellent.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it's a 240k CCU and here's the current Steam top10 concurrent users chart for comparison
QMsTt78.jpg

Compared to that BL3 having only 240k remains "okay'ish" because it should have otherwised easily reached a range of 500k+ CCU

Kathy Rain was free and had trading cards and had a massive push
Kholat was the same
Payday 2 went F2P on that day IIRC
The other games on that list did massive sales numbers except for possibly Hitman 2, but you get the idea

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He's using the all-time peak of BL2, not the launch day or launch week peak.
He says all-time, what are you talking about
Yes, all-time concurrent peak is just that. The highest peak of all time. BL2 all-time peak happened in September 2012.

It usually happens within the first week, usually at launch day or the first weekend. The only exceptions are games that redeemed themselves with a great patch (No Man's Sky) or GaaS that gained popularity over time (Warframe).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's a 240k CCU and here's the current Steam top10 concurrent users (CCU) chart for comparison

QMsTt78.jpg

Compared to that BL3 having only 240k remains "okay'ish" because it should have otherwise easily reached a range of 500k++ CCU

I feel the same. This is not very impressive compared to what it could be on Steam BUT it's also not a total disaster. Borderlands clearly has pull. The fact that MHW is so much higher boggles my mind.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's remaining consistent that every big game on EGS states their sales are good using incredibly vague boasts that don't really mean much.
I guess the sales could be considered good if they weren't expecting much in the first place.
We all know where that tail is gonna be, though.
yes on egs probably very little on steam probably pretty good, the die hard players will get it at launch and most others will wait.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sorry but knowing Randy 'about twice as much' makes me think it's closer to 200,000 than 250,000. The guy can't help but lie.

Still good sales though but I would love to see the numbers just to call him an idiot.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Games and movies handle finances way differently

I say that as someone who loooooves me some box office numbers lol

MK11 did the same thing, but they also did a huuuuuuuge blowout event and probably had the strongest marketing campaign for a game I've seen in years
Counter point is I see Candy Crush commercials every day on tv, but not one MK 11 one

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I feel the same. This is not very impressive compared to what it could be on Steam BUT it's also not a total disaster. Borderlands clearly has pull. The fact that MHW is so much higher boggles my mind.

MHW has sold like 5 million on PC lmao, it's a strong ass hit

BL3's launch day concurrent numbers put it on the highest echelon of launch day sales, something it wasn't on when 1/2 came out

Counter point is I see Candy Crush commercials every day on tv, but not one MK 11 one

Because I unplugged your TV years ago

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It's remaining consistent that every big game on EGS states their sales are good using incredibly vague boasts that don't really mean much.
I guess the sales could be considered good if they weren't expecting much in the first place.

I thought the same. Reminds me of Microsoft and their boasts this generation.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
What band doesn't release their numbers?????

A band that isn't happy with their sales. I'm fine with the "Epic should release the sales" narrative, but if you're going to ask that of Epic make sure you make that the narrative every time Microsoft says anything about Xbox as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The result is good but looking at peak numbers on Steam bl3 left a lot on the table bring epic exclusive. Bl3 wouldnt make the top 10 all time list and is probably one of the most hyped games of the last couple years. Let's see if it increases for the weekend.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
With the marketing push this game had, and comparing with a game like Monster Hunter World, a late port with barely any marketing on PC, 240k is ok at best for a game that the previous entry sold pretty well on PC, will be interesting to see wich leg will grow, the EGS or Steam one.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A band that isn't happy with their sales. I'm fine with the "Epic should release the sales" narrative, but if you're going to ask that of Epic make sure you make that the narrative every time Microsoft says anything about Xbox as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

But people always ask for Xbox numbers

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Look, a stealth EGS thread

Should probably just get the staff post out of the way now

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
MHW has sold like 5 million on PC lmao, it's a strong ass hit

BL3's launch day concurrent numbers put it on the highest echelon of launch day sales, something it wasn't on when 1/2 came out

My point is that Borderlands should be the more popular of the two franchises amongst PC players. Even if BL3 sold well on EGS it clearly didn't reach as large of an audience as it could have had it been on Steam.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
no unpacking bs and fast download speed on epic launcher was a big plus for me. Won't hesitate to buy the next exclusive they steal.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Does way better than previous game's opening.
Devs are very happy with the numbers
Publisher is very happy with the numbers.

Random person on internet; these numbers are very dissapointing.

Cracks me up every single time.
Imagine thinking that a multi million seller, like borderlands is on PC since 10 years, doing less than MHW CCU , a series with ZERO presence on the platform since forever, is amazing. In 2012 steam users were less than half of what they are now, 2012 CCU on steam globally were 5 mlns, we are at now 16-18 mlns.

So, yeah, its not amazing, maybe stop believing everything without anazlying vague stuff like "abous as twice" or "did great/amazing" without numbers.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
My point is that Borderlands should be the more popular of the two franchises amongst PC players. Even if BL3 sold well on EGS it clearly didn't reach as large of an audience as it could have had it been on Steam.

Comparing it to Monster Hunter World, which basically blew the doors off of everything it released on and overperformed every single expectation and estimate on it, just seems like a bad idea

It is not out of bounds to state that the thirst for that MHW content was strong as fuck, lol

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
BL2 came out in 2012 when Steam had a peak concurrent userbase of around 6 million and BL2 pulled in a 125k CCU.
Today we are looking at around 20 million concurrent Steam users and BL2 is heavily entangled with Steam.

There is no way that a BL3 release in 2019 would only pull 250k CCU on Steam. I'm absolutely sure that BL3 would have easily pulled 500k++ CCU.

That's why the numbers remain okay'ish. 250k is not bad but very far away from numbers that would otherwise be possible.

Oct 29, 2017
It's always possible that sales numbers reflect, you know, the game instead of the platform it's on. Just a thought.

Several reviews have mentioned that the game feels like a time capsule of the early 2010s. Maybe lots of players have moved on?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
twice as much is over 230k concurrent, thats like 2 million in sales on day 1...why not release numbers? why is it so hard so just put numbers out there and not be so vague? if true great for the game, imagine only if it were on steam, could have been steams top game in 2019.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Comparing it to Monster Hunter World, which basically blew the doors off of everything it released on and overperformed every single expectation and estimate on it, just seems like a bad idea
Then let's just do what Randy do, compare it to BL2.

If BL2 in 2012 did 125k (when the franchise was still small) and BL3 today did 250k (after the franchise sold 45 million copies), is it actually that great?

Basically, EloKa covered everything better than me.

Oct 29, 2017

If BL2 in 2012 did 125k (when the franchise was still small) and BL3 today did 250k (after the franchise sold 45 million copies), is it actually that great?

Can't look at these numbers in a vacuum. Think about the loot shooter market in 2012 vs today. It's night and day.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
BL2 came out in 2012 when Steam had a peak concurrent userbase of around 6 million and BL2 pulled in a 125k CCU.
Today we are looking at around 20 million concurrent Steam users and BL2 is heavily entangled with Steam.

There is no way that a BL3 release in 2019 would only pull 250k CCU on Steam. I'm absolutely sure that BL3 would have easily pulled 500k++ CCU.

That kind of estimate is a bit lofty tbh, that's probably over their peak expectations for the game

twice as much is over 230k concurrent, thats like 2 million in sales on day 1...why not release numbers? why is it so hard so just put numbers out there and not be so vague? if true great for the game, imagine only if it were on steam, could have been steams top game in 2019.

It's a Gearbox/2K title, they're not going to release numbers like that until an earnings call.

If BL2 at 2012 did 125k (when the franchise was still small) and BL3 today did 250k (after the franchise sold 45 million copies), is it actually that great?

Yes.

These are strong numbers.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's a Randy tweet, lol.

I mean, I'm sure it's doing ok. It's a huge franchise. God I wish he wasn't associated with it or I'd be much more interested in playing this one.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course Borderland 3 will sell well. Saying Borderland 3 won't sell well is like saying the next Elder Scroll won't sell well.

Well that 120k number is from 2012.

I would also like to think in 2012, BL2 had relatively less competition.

This summer has been better than most in terms of quantity of releases. This on top of all the ongoing games like Fortnite that didn't exist or have a substantial player pool in 2012. The landscape is almost entirely different, particularly on PC.

So if you consider everything, including the fact EGS likely has a fraction of the install base, these numbers are probably making Gearbox and 2K very happy.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid comparision. PC Gaming changed a lot in the last 7 years. But considering the circumstances, it's still ok...could be much much higher though with a launch on Steam. We'll see in six months.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

It is not out of bounds to state that the thirst for that MHW content was strong as fuck, lol

The Steam audience is radically different between 2012 and 2019. If Monster Hunter, a game with zero presence on PC until 2018, can blow the doors off of everything just imagine what Borderlands 3 could have done.