• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

BpnCJfq.png

...where 'ok' is almost twice as Borderlands 2 launch.

Obviously Borderlands series is now bigger than when BL2 launched so it makes sense, but given EGS requirement, given EGS exclusivity is only six months, given some negative reviews and given some other factors (Denuvo, Randy's Internet fame), it's pretty good numbers!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Borderlands became more and more popular overtime so that makes sense. Should be much higher with that in mind yeah

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's a pretty strong launch and makes sense considering the amount of time that passed between 2 and 3 - BL3 also has had a pretty long marketing campaign comparatively. It turned into a tentpole for 2K.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty strong launch and makes sense considering the amount of time that passed between 2 and 3 - BL3 also has had a pretty long marketing campaign comparatively. It turned into a tentpole for 2K.
ANd they announced it in March and released it 6 months later. That is Speedforce Fast for a non sports, non yearly AAA title

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If he's happy with the numbers he should release them, not obscure them.

Why do gamers demand sales figures? Imagine that in any other media and it seems crazy.

Band: We're really happy with how many people are streaming our new album!

Fan: if you are happy with the numbers you would release them not obscure them

Oct 25, 2017
Why do gamers demand sales figures? Imagine that in any other media and it seems crazy.

Sales numbers are an important factor in deciding whether you want to buy a game now or later. Games that sell poorly are likely to go on sale faster, meaning you should not buy a game immediately because you're very likely get a significant discount quickly.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Games and movies handle finances way differently

I say that as someone who loooooves me some box office numbers lol

ANd they announced it in March and released it 6 months later. That is Speedforce Fast for a non sports, non yearly AAA title

MK11 did the same thing, but they also did a huuuuuuuge blowout event and probably had the strongest marketing campaign for a game I've seen in years

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Box Office always gets a lot of attention and music has stuff like going platinum. With books you have bestselling lists, it's not a gaming thing at all...

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
borderlands 3 is going to be an evergreen title

i mean, i just started playing handsome collection instead of picking up 3

i'm sure many others did as they recently ported bl1 and handsome collection went on sale a bunch the past couple of months

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's a bit different with games (especially GaaS) because accurate performance and engagement metrics can be used by competitors to their advantage. It's rarely useful to release numbers.

Oct 26, 2017

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Game is the only industry that keeps everything so secret

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the "Platinum Games calls Astral Chain a success" thread and nobody demands the exact numbers there, strange

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A quarter million concurrent players on a single platform (assuming that is correct), on a single infamous store, doubling the best day your previous game ever had is outstanding.

Combine that with the fact Epic gave them more free money upfront and the publisher gets to keep more on every sale, they are likely doing well. I suspect that almost nobody in that BL2 all-time high paid anywhere close to full price.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I wouldn't care if it was a SP game, but Borderlands is kind of built with a MP experience in mind and low sales numbers on a MP focused game means matchmaking will be harder assuming that the matchmaking and servers are working optimally. Low sales numbers on something like Tomb Raider arent going to affect your ability to engage with all the game has to offer.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Does way better than previous game's opening.
Devs are very happy with the numbers
Publisher is very happy with the numbers.

Random person on internet; these numbers are very dissapointing.

Cracks me up every single time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Movies get box office numbers. I think it makes sense for people to want to know about the media they are passionate about.

It would certainly put a lot of this EGS stuff to rest if we had more data.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017

What band doesn't release their numbers?????

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
240k really only sounds okay'ish for a Borderlands3 release in 2019

Edit: just for comparison - 240k concurrent players is way less than games like Payday2 had on Steam

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

I sort of wish BluRay and HD-DVD ended up coexisting so we could witness video sales wars.

May 25, 2019
London
Don't underestimate the marketing by the normally Destiny-focused streamers. Lots of them have been streaming Borderlands 3 this week as its something to do before Shadowkeep and plays well to their existing audience.

But all along, I knew this was the title that would finally get me to use a non-free game on EGS. That Voidu discount code for $12 off just sealed the deal.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If released on Steam it would be the third game most played, only below DOTA2 and CSGO. It could have been even bigger? Yep. but how is that 'not big numbers', lol.
240k concurrent players doesn't even earn you a spot in the Steam Top10. You're prolly looking at the 15th place or something.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
In China so I can't see the tweet.
Is he saying it's at 2X launch/peak concurrency or 2X launch sales?

Oct 26, 2017
If released on Steam it would be the third game most played, only below DOTA2 and CSGO. It could have been even bigger? Yep. but how is that 'not big numbers', lol.

Dota 2, CS:GO and PUBG.

By big numbers i mean something like MHW peak or even higher.
Borderlands 3 can easily surpass MHW peak and reach Fallout 4 and GTA V heights, doing only x2 of BL2 peak, a game released 7 years ago, it's not BIG numbers.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's remaining consistent that every big game on EGS states their sales are good using incredibly vague boasts that don't really mean much.
I guess the sales could be considered good if they weren't expecting much in the first place.