• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Randy is one of the most toxic people in the gaming industry, I say this as someone who likes to try and see the best in everyone but he makes it incredibly hard because every word out of his mouth seems to either be a lie or an attack on someone else, either consumers or other people in the industry.

And the second he gets called out for it he tries to play innocent and act like he's the victim.

Just seems very disingenous.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sure Randy, Moore's Law isn't slowing down and everyone would be happy paying $999 for an Xbox with some real power.

Sandbox

Jan 28, 2019
Randy .

tenor.gif

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
There are around 9 billion more people I would rather hang out with than Randy... what on earth is his point. Jealous of a person in leadership in the games industry with a good rep?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even get what he's trying to say?
I think he's saying that Xbox Series X could be a lot more powerful than it is, but it's not, and Phil talking about software solutions like VRS is a cop out. Randy went on to say: "If I could wave a magic wand, Xbox and Playstation would both be incredibly powerful and keep parity with one another. I think Sony and Microsoft should team up, actually."

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Randy Pitchford is like a successful version of Cliff Bleszinski.

Randy is one of the most toxic people in the gaming industry, I say this as someone who likes to try and see the best in everyone but he makes it incredibly hard because every word out of his mouth seems to either be a lie or an attack on someone else, either consumers or other people in the industry.

And the second he gets called out for it he tries to play innocent and act like he's the victim.

Just seems very disingenous.
He has his heart in the right place, generally speaking. He just rarely seems to take responsibility for his actions and bends reality around him as he pleases. So instead of backing down from a controversial comment, he instead doubles down. As far as I know he's also not a GG type of person, so I don't consider him being toxic. It's actually hard to take him seriously, period.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know people always seem to joke about how many threads he makes, but most of the time he's proposing interesting discussion.

Which is especially nice when I feel like gaming news is a little slow right now.

Agreed. Less outrage threads and people shitting on the latest game in the circlejerk.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
His answers to his twitter thread are great too. When you say Moore is indeed slowing down, than he will say Moores Law is about Transistor density and then post a graph that shows the number of transistor in chips over the years.

Last edited:

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I'm so fucking confused right now.

Your username is Cloud Strife so I imagine you've been playing games a long time, and somehow you've had the pleasure of not knowing Randy Pitchford exists?

Actually I didn't know the guy until now and aftear reading the comments I get the idea of what kind of person he is.. maybe I'm just lucky to have never heard of him before

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't understand the criticism. Is it a "call out" that the X is shaped like a mini-itx tower or that the internal hardware is underpowered in ways we don't realize?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's saying that Xbox Series X could be a lot more powerful than it is, but it's not, and Phil talking about software solutions like VRS is a cop out. Randy went on to say: "If I could wave a magic wand, Xbox and Playstation would both be incredibly powerful and keep parity with one another. I think Sony and Microsoft should team up, actually."

That's a pretty bold statement for him to say about a potential future business partner, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
How would he know it's not powerful enough? I see no reason to believe they have dev kits and the spec sheets certainly make it appear like it will be second to none.

Oct 27, 2017
Well obviously Pitchford is an easy eye roll for me but why doesn't Gearbox have a dev kit for Xbox less than a year from launch? Seems notable, unless I'm mistaken

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
How would he know it's not powerful enough? I see no reason to believe they have dev kits and the spec sheets certainly make it appear like it will be second to none.

I think we can reasonably assume they have a devkit, they are a very high profile dev and just released a huge game that will undoubtably still be updated long after XSX releases. They certainly have a PS5 kit, after all

Also there were rumblings that PS5 devkit was quite a bit more powerful than whatever Xbox sent out, but that may be just because MS hasnt set their final spec ceiling

Given they're making PS5 and PC exclusives, what would be the rush in getting them one?

I think Counterplay is the actual dev of Godfall iirc, but BL3 is a big deal and MS would definitely send them a kit

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well obviously Pitchford is an easy eye roll for me but why doesn't Gearbox have a dev kit for Xbox less than a year from launch? Seems notable, unless I'm mistaken

I can't claim any special inside knowledge, but my guess is the standardization around mostly PC components makes early devkit access less of a necessity. If you already have a next-gen game in development on PC, it shouldn't be a big technical overhaul to get it on consoles.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Any magic trick eventually gets stale. While we all were really impressed by Randy's ability to conjure up bullshit only using his mouth the first couple times, by now it has gotten stale and Pitchford should consider trying something new instead.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I think we can reasonably assume they have a devkit, they are a very high profile dev and just released a huge game that will undoubtably still be updated long after XSX releases. They certainly have a PS5 kit, after all

Also there were rumblings that PS5 devkit was quite a bit more powerful than whatever Xbox sent out, but that may be just because MS hasnt set their final spec ceiling

I think Counterplay is the actual dev of Godfall iirc, but BL3 is a big deal and MS would definitely send them a kit
I agree with your reasoning, but it's also worth noting that if they do have devkits over at Gearbox they would be under NDA, which would essentially prohibit Randy's statements here.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This might just be because my simple mind "don't work best good right now, (I should make a cup of coffee...)" but I really don't understand why he would make that tweet in the first place.

So what is he trying to say, really? Wait, lemme draw it out in craaayn here...

Seems like Mr. Spencer's saying that they're looking at innovative ways to squeeze more performance out of their next machine, and Randy seems to be saying that their motive to use new technologies to help with performance is an "excuse?" "How many transistors [does you box have]?"

I dunno, just seems like the most fanboyish "gamer" tweet I remember seeing from someone with a checkmark. I guess I should give him the benefit of doubt, maybe? He obviously knows more than I do about this stuff, just... I don't get it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your reasoning, but if they do have devkits over at Gearbox they would they be under NDA, which essentially means Randy broke that contract if that was the case.

Fair point, I think there is enough wiggle room in his statements since he isnt speaking directly about the box but yeah if he was under NDA this would be (legally speaking) ill-advised, though that's not something Randy has seemed phased by in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.