• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The devs arent selling us something, the sales team is. Didnt realize decisions of sales and other branches had a place in reviewing a games merits, produced by people we all know work too hard doing what they love.

You clearly think it does though

We should never give a game a negative review ever again, because it's going to hurt the people we all know who work too hard doing what they love.

Games criticism as a whole should just be thrown out because we wouldn't want to harm developers.

This is what you are implying the more and more you beat this drum.

We can't hold anyone accountable for anything because we might hurt somebody somewhere.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I think you people are underestimating the intelligence of publishers and devs just because you dont agree with their actions. If preorder cancellations on the EGS lead to refunds in form of store credit like you said, Randy is smart enough to realize why suddenly hundreds of people cancelled their playstation preorder on the same day. And its not like you can use, you know, social media to talk about why they happened also.

Hell, not only would the connecting dots be very obvious, but you could then tweet out a snapshot of your cancellation, hashtagged and @ whatever official marketing accounts the game is being pushed via. Then not only do they see the preorder hit, but the retweets will float around being viewed by potential purchasers that aren't even looking at reviews for past games (because let's face it... not many people will be now). As a bonus Valve can still go about culling the next wave of attempts to review bomb games due to "those damn SJWs".

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The devs arent selling us something, the sales team is. Didnt realize decisions of sales and other branches had a place in reviewing a games merits, produced by people we all know work too hard doing what they love.

By this logic we really shouldn't care about 12% cuts, 30% cuts, review bombing, or anything since the developers at major publishers got paid anyway.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
In other words, "take it to where it'll do nothing useful". We might as well be posting about it in forum threads like these.

Again there is no guarantee any route will do something "useful" and I use this term loosely on this topic. I do know that review bombing is creating useless data for people who just want to read reviews about the actual game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Semantics, don't.

And stop dancing around the point, stop being stubborn.

This is symptomatic of the lack of effective communication between consumers and developers/publishers.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Some teams work 100 hour weeks and create Uncharted 4. Some teams work 100 hour weeks and create Anthem. It's not just about the sales teams.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I know how steam reviews work. In fact i even have one for borderlands 2, a very old one where i said the game is fun but i hated the memes. Its not exactly high tier literature but it expressed my feelings about the game pretty well.

Giving it a zero while posting an ascii middle finger and FUCK EGS is as irrelevant as thinking my review made gearbox ever consider toning down memes on later games.

I'm not saying its a great alternative - not even saying its a good one. I'm saying its better than review bombing. I'll ask again, what did the review bombing tell Randy and 2k? That people don't like the EGS deal? You really think they didnt knew that already? If anything it just gave him an excuse to distance himself and his games further from steam which at least from what i believe its the opposite of what people want?
You're in a thread that only exists because Randy responded to the review bombings. Stop trying to downplay that this has an effect.

It's not even necesserily about BL3. Anyone looking at taking Epic's deals will have this reaction to look back at.

"Knowing" something isn't binary. If it were, then any movement big or small, life threatening or mundane, would just put out their feelings one single time and that would be that, any changes would either happen or not.

But that's not how people, businesses or the world works. When protesting something, it's not about informing them of your issue, it's about enforcing the problems and not letting them go until they're fixed.

These review bombings are far more relevant than that singular review you made. You're currently posting in a 16 page and ongoing thread about them, that is itself just a continuation of a far larger discussion. Trying to call it irrelevant is laughable. It's not exactly the biggest issue in the world, but people are talking about it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The hell with that. I have been playing pc games since the 90s and one of the nice things about it is that its such an open platform. I'm glad people are bitching about this honestly. Review bombing is kind of shit but if that gets the point across that people aren't happy then so be it. It sucks there isn't a better way to get their attention but it seemed to have worked judging by the pitchford's reaction.

People can complain and I can say their means are shit (review bombing). I'm not sure Randy's reaction is what people wanted but ok.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Can it be warnable to simply handwave legitimate discussion and come into a thread whining? Because that's what you and plenty of others are doing by not even bothering to take up discussion.

It's been said over and over, surprisingly much like any EGS thread, the fact of the matter is that review bombing actually does raise concerns from customers worried about terrible anti-consumer business practices. Wanting to silence this avenue of speech is just as bad as saying protesting is childish and you should just write a well spoken letter to the President. Letters, forums, petitions and such don't work. It's clear when devs respond to reviews they actually are working.

In the case of misogynist bullshit like total war review bombs, such can be called out and lamented and discussed. This act of vilifying discussions on anti-consumer practices and stating anyone arguing for review bombs is childish without actually bothering to respond to the many who have had very decent discussions is you yourself being childish.

Also just how much is Era okay with anti-consumer practices? Because it's becoming apparent day by day that it's very pick and choose and that sucks.
The circular arguments are already becoming circular arguments of circular arguments, not to mention the amount of bad faith and disingenuous arguments I've seen surrounding this. Just like every other EGS thread. It's so very tiring. I'm only new(ish) here so it's truly surprising me how okay so many people are with anti-consumer practices over this whole EGS train. I kind of wish we had old school forum signatures here so I could just have this at the bottom of every post I make about EGS lol

| THE GREAT EPIC STORE FAQ |

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I know how steam reviews work. In fact i even have one for borderlands 2, a very old one where i said the game is fun but i hated the memes. Its not exactly high tier literature but it expressed my feelings about the game pretty well.

Giving it a zero while posting an ascii middle finger and FUCK EGS is as irrelevant as thinking my review made gearbox ever consider toning down memes on later games.

I'm not saying its a great alternative - not even saying its a good one. I'm saying its better than review bombing. I'll ask again, what did the review bombing tell Randy and 2k? That people don't like the EGS deal? You really think they didnt knew that already? If anything it just gave him an excuse to distance himself and his games further from steam which at least from what i believe its the opposite of what people want?

You're right there. They definitely know that EGS is not liked and id assume anyone making such a review is already going to be voting with their wallet as well. I guess it's just a way some figure is a method to "keep the heat on".

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I think you people are underestimating the intelligence of publishers and devs just because you dont agree with their actions. If preorder cancellations on the EGS lead to refunds in form of store credit like you said, Randy is smart enough to realize why suddenly hundreds of people cancelled their playstation preorder on the same day. And its not like you can use, you know, social media to talk about why they happened also.

That people are unhappy with Borderlands 3? Isnt that the point?
What review bombing Borderlands 2 tells exactly? That borderlands 2 is a bad game? That people don't like the Epic Game Store?

They have no metric to know why I bought and cancelled a game on console. It could be for any reason. On steam people can straight up say why they are upset.

If there was a store page for borderlands on steam they would do it there.

If there are 2 things I've learnt from all this is

1. It sucks we can not celebrate borderlands returning without this message.

2. 2k, epic and the like want us to fight each other than care about our consumer rights and it's working brilliantly.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, every minor issue in our life should be ignored? Even if it's a sign of a larger issue that may result from these accumulating small issues? If tiny cracks keep appearing in the wall of my house from time to time, should I plaster them up and forget about it until the roof caves in?
No, but a product waiting 6 months to be sold at a store you prefer due to a timed exclusivity with another store shouldn't even be a minor issue in your life. If you're unhappy with the decision, then don't buy it at that store or don't buy the product at all even when it's available at the store you prefer.

You are not entitled to a product you haven't paid money for and hasn't even released to be sold at a store you prefer. Think about that.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Review bombing is for people who wanna take the easy route and not stick to their guns and also who want to get a free dunk on someone who usually can't defend themselves

Protests work
Petitions work and are about as easy as review bombing
Speaking with your wallet absolutely works

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A company doesn't have to sell it's products at a store you prefer. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. It's that company's loss.
Of course they don't have to do anything. No duh. Of course it's ultimately their decision. But consumers don't have to take that sitting down and can respond in kind and actually use their voices and stuff. They don't have to be quiet little lambs.

And again with the don't like it, don't buy it/vote with your wallets tripe. That's nice and everything but speaking of voting, it calls to mind someone who decides not to vote as a protest vote. That's nice, but without saying WHY you're not voting, kinda the most important part, no one's really going to care. People aren't mind readers y'know.

Sane deal here. And thus stuff like review bombing.

Definitely not a fan of this whole "oh, you can protest... As long as you do it silently and in ways you can't be heard, like Judy voting with your wallet, whatever tyst means."

Like just no duh though, companies don't have to do anything and can do what they want. No duh. That isn't in question. But when they decide to do that, consumers can respond in kind, and there's nothing wrong with that to, especially if we're just framing things in terms of what people literally either "can" or "cannot" do.

Or is it the case that it's only with developers and publishers that the standard is literally what they can or cannot do, such as what storefronts they sell a game on, but when it comes to consumers, suddenly it's the consumers where what they can and can't do aren't the standard anymore and you suddenly start talking about right and wrong like this?

Because that's definitely something that stands out to me here... That you don't seen to care about right/wrong at all when it comes to developers and publishers, deferring instead to what they literally have the right to do or not do... So why do you suddenly abouy right/wrong when it comes to consumer actions either?

After all, by your own logic for devs/publishers, only their ability to choose their storefronts matters. So by that sane logic, consumers have the ability to leave reviews for what reasons they want, and since it's ability that matters, no problem right?

Or does right/wrong matter after all? In which case, you can't just hide behind developers having a choice of storefronts and have to consider how those choices affect other people, such as leading to higher prices for many games (just look at the prices of games on sites like cdkeys when they get announced for EGS exclusivity), the lack of features of the EGS compared to Steam, stuff like EGS affecting the Linux version of games due to not supporting it, and how the Epic Gsne Store can't even be used in countries like China. If right/wrong for consumers matter, and that's why review bombing is bad, surely that applies to EGS just as much and stuff like that becomes fair game.

Either way, the point is, be consistent, and either it's a question of simple ability for both devs/publishers and consumers, in which case, by the logic of well, developers have the choice of storefronts, so no problem then well consumers have the choice to review bomb so no problem there either if choice and ability is what it's all about, or it's about right and wrong, in which case, if consumers have legitimate grievances with the decision to be EGS exclusive, no problem.

But please, be consistent witg the standards you're holding devs/publishers and consumers to, and don't go one way with one group and a completely different way with the other, thanks.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
"Just don't buy the game" as a means of protest is as stupid and unhelpful as:

"Just don't vote, if you are unsatisfied with the path your country/county/district/city is going."
"just abandon your friend if he is doing something stupid"
"Just get out of the Train/Bus/Taxi if the driver is not driving where he should."

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is there any good middle ground that's not quite review bombing, but shows all the necessary displeasure to devs / pubs for stuff like this? Did Valve get closer with the new review separation?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
You are not entitled to have a game sold on a storefront you prefer. If you don't like the other storefront that's selling the game, then don't buy the game on that storefront.

Anything else is throwing a tantrum.

I agree with this sentiment.

The whole "Counterpoint, why are we not allowed a decent communication with the developers" is demanding things that are not your prerogative.

Developers have absolutely no responsibility to engage into a dialogue, which itself is very rarely what fans mean with interaction. They have very little incentive to engage into it as well.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Review bombing is for people who wanna take the easy route and not stick to their guns and also who want to get a free dunk on someone who usually can't defend themselves

Protests work

Is this not a protest?

Does a petition pose a tangible threat to Gearbox in any way, especially when the CEO has already made it clear what his views are?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would be nice from the publisher to remove all their future and previous games from Steam. It would teach something to both the review bombers and Valve.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can it be warnable to simply handwave legitimate discussion and come into a thread whining? Because that's what you and plenty of others are doing by not even bothering to take up discussion.

It's been said over and over, surprisingly much like any EGS thread, the fact of the matter is that review bombing actually does raise concerns from customers worried about terrible anti-consumer business practices. Wanting to silence this avenue of speech is just as bad as saying protesting is childish and you should just write a well spoken letter to the President. Letters, forums, petitions and such don't work. It's clear when devs respond to reviews they actually are working.

In the case of misogynist bullshit like total war review bombs, such can be called out and lamented and discussed. This act of vilifying discussions on anti-consumer practices and stating anyone arguing for review bombs is childish without actually bothering to respond to the many who have had very decent discussions is you yourself being childish.

Also just how much is Era okay with anti-consumer practices? Because it's becoming apparent day by day that it's very pick and choose and that sucks.

There have been endless threads on era over the months and year(s?) where everyone has agreed that review bombing is an absolute garbage practice, but now since it happens to be about a topic people agree with suddenly it's a valid avenue for protest and we should all be okay with it.

Review bombing has not been vilified just because of the topics, it's been vilified because it unfairly punishes huge swaths of individuals in the industry responsible for making games because you don't like the decisions made by a minuscule few. It's a scorched Earth tactic that's being justified now "because it works" as if any means justify an end. We need to care about more than just "results," this isn't life and fucking death, the collateral damage to the reputation of the software produced by talented and unrelated men and women is relevant here.

Sell your platitudes about your righteous consumer quest to the engineers and game designers seeing their work dragged through the mud so you can make a point.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
You think Randy wasn't aware of a vocal minority upset at the situation prior to this review bomb? That's naive.

2K and Gearbox already made their riches off of Borderlands 1 and 2. This won't change that.

He was aware that's he hid it from the PAX.

Your right they made there riches more so because of this deal but it at least lets them know why people are upset in a public store page where people could spend more money.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Protests work

Like the petition to revoke Article 50 who has nearly 6 Million petitioners? Yeah, working fine. Petitions only work if it is neutral or beneficial for the company or government.

And I voted with my wallet for 99% of all released games, it didn't do anything.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is this not a protest?

Does a petition pose a tangible threat to Gearbox in any way, especially when the CEO has already made it clear what his views are?

No, it isn't

And yes, petitions of large scale always pose tangible threats, if they didn't a lot of other gaming policies would've been muscled through

Randy is a blowhard and I doubt gearbox has much pull at the end of the day. I assume it was a decision at 2K. These reviews got a reaction and that was the point

I would say Gearbox has quite a bit of pull. Of the ones that signed up for Epic, they're the main dev I can think of who could push for changes if necessary. They have that level of power.

Like the petition to revoke Article 50 who has nearly 6 Million petitioners? Yeah, working fine. Petitions only work if it is neutral or beneficial for the company or government.

And I voted with my wallet for 99% of all released games, it didn't do anything.

6 million petitioners out of how many people in the country? Don't feed me that

If you want immediate change on this stuff you're gonna have a real bad time, this shit burns real slow

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
You think Randy wasn't aware of a vocal minority upset at the situation prior to this review bomb? That's naive.

2K and Gearbox already made their riches off of Borderlands 1 and 2. This won't change that.

He was aware that's he hid it from PAX.

Your right they made there riches more so because of this deal but it at least lets them know why people are upset in a public store page where

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Protests work
It's not "free". You have to have bought the game. Other things you mention do not carry the weight of "I am willing to be a paying customer under the right circumstances".

Talk is cheap, but not when it's backed up with a more direct statement of intent.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It would be nice from the publisher to remove all their future and previous games from Steam. It would teach something to both the review bombers and Valve.

And take their negotiation power with EGS away? They are not that stupid. If they boycott steam, Epic won't need to moneyhat them.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you even have the gall to make this comparison. Embarrassing.
Let's not forget that Randy Pitchford made the comparison between people leaving negative reviews on his game and domestic abuse. It's in the opening post of this topic.

Thankfully Epic has given them the kick in the ass to rethink their 100% hands off approach.
Valve made changes to how user reviews are presented back in September 2017. Epic had nothing to do with it. https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1448326897426987372
Unfortunately they made further changes to this system a few weeks ago which largely nullifies the impact of "review bombing" and this is the first example of that system being used. Their original system minimized the long-term impact without silencing people's voices.

This is fine and all and I agree with the reddit post but the problem is this has nothing to do with any of the other Borderlands games on Steam. You're pissed about BL3 being EGS exclusive, fine but what does that have to do with any of the other games?
They announced Borderlands 3 and released updated versions of the previous Borderlands games.
There's no way to submit reviews for Borderlands 3, but they're still trying to sell the other Borderlands games.

You really can't think why someone that is a fan of the previous games would be upset that the sequel is now exclusive to another platform and voice those concerns in the only place that will get attention?
Or at least, it's a place which used to get attention until these changes from Valve which seem to have significantly cut its impact.

You have e-mail and twitter as direct lines of communication to Gearbox and/or 2K. Additionally, you can start a group on Facebook, Discord, Steam, and numerous other places detailing your displeasure with the business practices you disagree with. If you think review bombing an old game is the way to be effectively heard then I think you are delusional.
All of these are easily ignored compared to the feedback being left on the very same page that someone has to visit if they want to buy the game.

The most effective means of showing your displeasure towards a company's decision is to not buy their product.
There are millions of products that people don't buy every day. There's probably 30,000 games on Steam that I didn't buy. That's not a form of protest.
Unless you can convince people to form an organized mass boycott of the game (good luck!) your personal choice to not buy a product isn't going to do anything.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Protests work

For some people this might be true, but overall review bombs have a very real effect here. The developers nad publishers HAVE to take note of them.

They can ignore protests, they can ignore petitions, boycotts only work if enough do it and they're often not quantifiable in terms of effectiveness.

Reviews bombs are obviously not a productive way to communicate, but they are much more effective than the other methods which are almost always ignored. This is precisely why they've become the go to.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It does when the meme is perfectly apt.

The meme is apt when it makes fun of people 'rising up' because of some idiotic reason like women's boobs in videogames not being as big as they used to be. The meme is not apt when it is used to dismiss legitimate criticism towards a company's anti-consumer practices.

Equating platform wars with actual social issues is a good way to not get taken seriously. Especially when there's far worse problems with gaming which get ignored with the quickness

Ignoring the obvious whataboutism at the end of your post, I'd say that some people seem pretty determined to the point of struggle to find a reason, any reason to not take the reactions seriously. Ever since this whole Epic moneyhatting thing started we've had people dismissing the people reacting as Steam fanboys, manbabies, children throwing tantrums. We've had people posting Modern Warfare 2 jpegs, insisting that this is will all go away and that the protesters will buckle as Epic keeps acquiring games.

Well, we're now several months in and the people protesting get louder and more determined with every new exclusive announced. It's time to realize that this will not go away.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
No, but a product waiting 6 months to be sold at a store you prefer due to a timed exclusivity with another store shouldn't even be a minor issue in your life. If you're unhappy with the decision, then don't buy it at that store or don't buy the product at all even when it's available at the store you prefer.

You are not entitled to a product you haven't paid money for and hasn't even released to be sold at a store you prefer. Think about that.
Uh? Yes? I'm entitled cause it is my money. When did "the customer is always right" became "the customer must always bend to the corporations".
They are taking choices away from me for their disgusting greed, so I'll cause trouble to them, it's really simple and natural. Stop telling what i should and shouldn't care about.
Teach how incredibly out of touch with their fanbase they are, for sure

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are millions of products that people don't buy every day. There's probably 30,000 games on Steam that I didn't buy. That's not a form of protest.
Unless you can convince people to form an organized mass boycott of the game (good luck!) your personal choice to not buy a product isn't going to do anything.
Boycotting a product is absolutely a form of protest even if it's just you doing it.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Petitions are a waste of space,

they didn't stop article 13 and they aren't revoking article 50

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The connection was made by the person they were responding to, which is why they responded to it. If you have this issue, take it up with the one who started that conversation thread.

Their response was logical.

No, he clarified what he meant and he literally said review bombing is the only effective form of protest...and then he made the statement that he made. Equating customer protesting a company to EQUAL RIGHTS protesting...It is not the fucking same and no, it's not logical because they aren't on the same amount importance. It's a shitty comparison to make and not the same.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense

The days of user reviews being worth anything are long over. If I could put my game / movie / music on a platform without them I absolutely would

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
6 million petitioners out of how many people in the country? Don't feed me that

If you want immediate change on this stuff you're gonna have a real bad time, this shit burns real slow

Unbelievable.
6 Million Petitioners out of a country of 66 Million
Do you know how few petitioners there normally are? After only 10.000 petitioners, the Government responses, after 100.000, it will be debated in the parliament. So 6 Million is a fucking lot!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Wait are folks actually arguing that boycotting does not work?

One of the most established ways of consumer protest, ever?

For review bombing? You for real, people?

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Unbelievable.
6 Million Petitioners out of a country of 66 Million
Do you know how few petitioners there normally are? After only 10.000 petitioners, the Government responses, after 100.000, it will be debated in the parliament. So 6 Million is a fucking lot!

Clearly not enough tho

(way off the reservation here, don't get me started on petitions RE: government things, especially that clown car)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Boycotting a product is absolutely a form of protest even if it's just you doing it.
I'm not saying that people shouldn't bother. I won't be buying anything on EGS.
I'm saying that it's largely ineffective if that's all you do, and does not send a message about why you are doing it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
By this logic we really shouldn't care about 12% cuts, 30% cuts, review bombing, or anything since the developers at major publishers got paid anyway.
By this logic you can't boycott any corporation at all, gaming or not, their product are almost always the result of a huge amount of people.

( 2014 ) Brendan Eich Firefox CEO is homophobic ? 'don't go to hard on firefox guys, think of all the 1000+ employees who has nothing to do with it and work hard every day..... ' was not what most people were arguing for at the time.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017

Protests work
So what you're saying is, if we do all that and review bomb, then they'll have to listen to us.

Looks like I got some things to do.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh? Yes? I'm entitled cause it is my money. When did "the customer is always right" became "the customer must always bend to the corporations".
They are taking choices away from me for their disgusting greed, so I'll cause trouble to them, it's really simple and natural. Stop telling what i should and shouldn't care about.
What? You're entitled cause it's your money? LOL Nobody is taking your money. You still have choices. If you don't like the business decisions this company did with their product they're selling than you can CHOOSE to not buy it. They're not taking anything away from you because THIS GAME IS NOT YOURS. You do not own it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

You are not entitled to a product you haven't paid money for to be sold at a store you prefer. Think about that.
I thought people realized the issue for most people I've seen talk about this (especially here) isn't the exclusivity it's self, it doesn't matter if the exclusivity is for 1 week or 10 years, it's not the point. The issue is the EGS itself and the way it's trying to force competition through cutting out the rest of the market in an incredibly anti-consumer fashion. They're not even offering a decent service to soothe that a little bit. If EGS had a year in the oven before being pushed then I think this would of gone over better for them, even if they continued their anti-consumer practices.

I'm going to continue posting this non-exhaustive document every time this subject comes up, there are so many reasons why an individual would not want to support the EGS and any exclusives, timed or not that help it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18YudW7kBCBTSr3kJp_4EEiEmT5I7c2B5/view

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Wait are folks actually arguing that boycotting does not work?

One of the most established ways of consumer protest, ever?

For review bombing? You for real, people?
Nope, they're arguing that boycotting only works when enough people do it, whilst review bombing can achieve the results with far fewer people doing it, and therefore depending on how successful a boycott is likely to be, it may not be as effective as other means of protest.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Makes sense

The days of user reviews being worth anything are long over. If I could put my game / movie / music on a platform without them I absolutely would
Must be corporate dream coming through, seeing us customers as just mindless walking wallets that can't reply only consume as slaves , gross that there are people here who want that.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review bombing is stupid and childish and it's weird that the first few posts are defending it.

Devs/pubs can do what they want with their games and you can choose to buy it or not buy it. Gamers are such brats.
It's really weird reading stuff like this. "It's fine to not but a game, but actually letting developers and publishers know WHY you're not buying a gsme (in a way that's actually capable of getting their attention and not just being ignored)???!!! Well,that's just going too far and bring childish!"

Like, what's even the point of making a deliberate decision not to buy a game fir very specific reasons if you don't even attempt to actually make those reasons clear and just expect people to be mind readers as if they magicly will know if it was the graphics, or if it was due to major bugs or glitches, or if it was the price, or any number of billions of other potential reasons that could make someone not buy a game.

The only way for them to possibly know the why at all is if people tell them. And by Pitchford responding at all, he gives the approach credence, as it shows that pubs/devsare indeed reading/listening, even if they don't always make the choices we'd like based on what they read, at least they see it, and that's something compared to other methods, especially such inane stuff as vote with your wallet.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
So people really think that review-bombing is going to make a "change for the better" vs. preordering a game, cancelling said game, tweeting out to a hashtag, putting a post up on reddit with people putting pictures of them cancelling and giving the reason why they cancelled and literally showing companies that they are voting with their wallets (by showing hey, you are not having my money)...most likely getting attention of media as hashtags usually do. Ok.

I guess you guys didn't read my first post about the suggestion...review bombing can be silenced (as Steam is showing). Getting a big number of people to cancel preorders and having a voice on regular social media outlets that companies can connect the dots (Jawmuncher ) because they pay attention to it is more effective because it shows that you aren't talk, you mean action...you won't give them your money. When you effect their money, they always pay attention. That review bombing is something that can be silenced and doesn't show that you as a customer aren't really voting with your wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.