• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
To each their own I suppose.

Personally speaking, if I genuinely was angry at an upcoming movie for some reason, say they whitewashed the actors, I wouldn't write about it, I just wouldn't go see the move.
I buy like 1% of the games that release in a year. Just pretending it doesn't exist doesn't say anything. Also just because I dislike something they are doing, I'm not going to instantly boycott them, as I'd have boycotted everything at that point.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Oh, I must have read hastily then. Why the review bombing then ?
Because it's effective.
As proven by this reply, and many other instances.

Publishers happily ignore forum threads, tweets, emails, and reviews on platforms that don't have the potential to directly affect their bottom line.
They often only start to act and engage the community when the protest takes a form which has an actual effect.

Must be nice always having 20% off pc games, and crazy steam sales while others have less options for getting games at a bargain.
it is, in fact, very nice. That's why we are fighting to protect it.

It's also nice not to pay recurring platform fees for playing P2P online games, by the way. Or having the ability to modify our games.

What are you even arguing anymore?
"You entitled PC gamers had it too good for far too long, now suffer with me"?
That sadly seems to be the real underlying feeling of many people participating in these arguments, I've found.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
Man reading all the reaction and stupid stuff some PC gamers been doing since EGS started remind me of the shit they used to give console gamers for "console wars"
I am actually enjoying this

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That was your choice to spend that much on a build, you weren't forced into spending that much. Typical average price for a new Used physical game is like $55, so it's not really a deal. You can get older pc games for cheap so your argument doesn't really have legs.

Getting a decent PC build in Canada does cost that much actually. Its better now that bitcoin dropped off, but PC is not cheap at the moment. Especially not when you have to pay 15% tax.

When I was mainly on PS4 I was getting used physical games for as low as half price a few weeks after launch. Can't do that on PC. Hell I bought Detroit Become Human used on PS4 for $50 CAD ($30 off full price) less than 2 weeks after it came out

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
You will often see big developers and media complaining about Steam Reviews (especially media) while those same media will publish 100 Fortnite articles per month and 0 indie game reviews or previews. And guess who then covers those small indie games? Yeah Steam Reviews. Supraland was released from Early Access yesterday I think, there are 0 outlets covering it. There are 100s of these cases and somehow Steam Reviews are blamed for everything and according to developers media outlets are covering gaming industry in a good way.

Thank you.
I'm not a fan of review bombing (in most circumstances), but steam reviews are an essential resource. Granted, I'll always be biased in favor of them, because I've written nearly 250 myself.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for not making it clear in my post that I don't particularly mean in a sense of "bad reviews" in as much as it actually impacts the game in question that's being bombed (i.e if Borderlands 2 has shit DRM then go ahead and bomb it) but the process of using it as a trojan horse against shit that doesn't actually affect the game in any meaningful way, and at this point the latter is what the system overwhelmingly favors. So yeah, fuck review bombing. It's become a tool for disenfranchised users to abuse.
But you do know what the problem here is. Don't pretend you don't. Randy clearly sees the responses. This isn't just random people on Twitter giving him shit. This is people who have bought and played previous games in the Borderlands series and are pissed off at the situation. Gearbox sees these reviews. Take Two sees these reviews. This sends the same message it does to publishers using DRM.

So review bombing is done because people have no impulse control and can't wait six months to play Borderlands 3? Sounds like PC gamers should be angry at those people instead.

The fact that Steam had to implement a feature that can dismiss recent reviews from the overall score when something like this happens shows that they don't agree with it either.
How are ignorant/troll posts like this still allowed in these threads?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
You don't see almost every movie ever released. Why on earth would you think that communicates anything to anyone?

If you don't write about it you haven't done anything
Preach. Seriously, disorganized individualized boycotts don't accomplish anything other than to make the person doing it feel better. Even if you don't see this theoretical movie for whitewashing, 1,000,000 other people won't care and will take your place and nothing will be done, because it literally says nothing unless you have a coordinated boycott with 1000's+. Individually, you have to make your thoughts known loudly and directly, that's the only way there will be a chance of change in the future.

Man reading all the reaction and stupid stuff some PC gamers been doing since EGS started remind me of the shit they used to give console gamers for "console wars"
I am actually enjoying this

BothFriendlyAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
To the people venomously against review bombing, please list me the alternatives in voicing your displeasure along with sources for examples when those alternatives objectively had achieved the goal without the aid or threat of review bombing.

Review bombing is the most disruptive option with the highest success rate, especially when you have a company like Gearbox/person like Randy who you know will outright ignore just about every other means of communication people have at their disposal.

Review bombing is the only avenue people have left. I'm not getting mad at people using it.

Jim's recent EGS video where he lays the blame more at capitalism in general than EGS practices is somewhat hilarious now, considering how far people will go to defend Gearbox's "right" to be shielded from a means of criticism because it might hurt a review score (and by proxy, future sales). You can't blame Epic's actions and you can't harm Gearbox income. So what's left?

Deleted member 40335

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Why then are you posting in this thread at all? Surely if you disagree you should say nothing. That will show 'em

Im posting because I genuinely don't understand why people are up in arms over a 6 month exclusitivity window. Are people that impatient? Do people have absolutely have nothing to do, nothing to play until it releases on steam? If you want to play it ASAP buy it on the Epic store, you don't like their business? Wait till it's out on steam.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you do know what the problem here is. Don't pretend you don't. Randy clearly sees the responses. This isn't just random people on Twitter giving him shit. This is people who have bought and played previous games in the Borderlands series and are pissed off at the situation. Gearbox sees these reviews. Take Two sees these reviews. This sends the same message it does to publishers using DRM.

How are ignorant/troll posts like this still allowed in these threads?

An opinion you don't like/agree with is not a troll post, but that attitude seems par for the course with anything related to EGS.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just as always, Vote with your wallets. If B3 sales are below expectations then suddenly in 6 months they shoot up once it hits Steam, I think the PC industry will take notice and exclusive deals will become less attractive to publishers. This really is all about the end result. 2k is simply betting the money they received from epic will be more than the sum of sales of those who now will not buy the game.

I don't mean to sound dramatic but Division 2, Metro and now Borderlands 3 will determine the fate of PC gaming in regards to store exclusive deals. Its an important vote and only made with your wallet.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Im posting because I genuinely don't understand why people are up in arms over a 6 month exclusitivity window. Are people that impatient? Do people have absolutely have nothing to do, nothing to play until it releases on steam? If you want to play it ASAP buy it on the Epic store, you don't like their business? Wait till it's out on steam.
6 months, 1 year, 2 years. It isn't the length of time, it's the principle. I'm personally ok with waiting, but I don't find the idea of moneyhatted exclusives acceptable.

If you give them an arm, the publishers will take a leg.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But you do know what the problem here is. Don't pretend you don't. Randy clearly sees the responses. This isn't just random people on Twitter giving him shit. This is people who have bought and played previous games in the Borderlands series and are pissed off at the si

I never claimed I didn't. Like most BL fans, I have a pretty low opinion of the man himself, and lord knows I'd rather play the upcoming game on Steam.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I get that you guys are angry *now* and want to say something to Gearbox now, but the only truly effective communication is to not buy the game when it launches.

Money fucking talks, and it's loud. If the sales go in the toilet, that's it for Epic exclusivity.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
At this point, this has to be trolling... right? After the threads and threads of discussion over the past 4/5 months of EGS your takeaway from all of it is that the only reason people are upset is the length of the exclusivity?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I fully support customers voicing their displeasure therefore I fully support review bombing.

Randy can fuck off.

Jun 26, 2018
I get that you guys are angry *now* and want to say something to Gearbox now, but the only truly effective communication is to not buy the game when it launches.

Money fucking talks, and it's loud. If the sales go in the toilet, that's it for Epic exclusivity.

But the sales aren't going to go in the toilet, because literally millions don't know or care?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You're lying now ?
You just said it yourself about the "20% off games".

Oct 29, 2017

It's a larger issue regarding competition in PC game stores. In that, before there was some and now rapidly it's being eroded away.

Perhaps if you aren't familiar with the issue it would've been best to make some effort before jumping in with the same tired talking points we've seen 1000 times already

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the sales aren't going to go in the toilet, because literally millions don't know or care?

If everyone had that attitude there would never be a boycott of anything.

Review bombing is the favorite tactic of gamers because it still lets them play the game they want to play while claiming they're taking a stand. They don't have the willpower to not buy it for 6 months, a year, or forever in order to prove a point.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
To the people venomously against review bombing, please list me the alternatives in voicing your displeasure along with sources for examples when those alternatives objectively had achieved the goal without the aid of review bombing.

Review bombing is the most disruptive option with the highest success rate, especially when you have a company like Gearbox/person like Randy who you know will outright ignore just about every other means of communication people have at their disposal.

Review bombing is the only avenue people have left. I'm not getting mad at people using it.

It really disturbs me that people only remember the good examples of review bombing. Do any of you recall what happened to Total War Rome II? It got review bombed by some neo-nazis who couldn't stop complaining about "women in ma videogames!" because of a change that in a certain period allowed more women general to show up in the game. Where were you, then? Any of you? Those who are in favor of review bombing and those who don't? Hell, where was Valve?

Like, fuck Randy Pitchford (a known con man) and Gearbox (a company who defrauded Sega to diverge millions into the development of Borderlands 2), but don't come in here telling me that review bombing is helpful because it helped in a couple of cases. The people who worked on Rome II did not deserve that shit.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Even if every single person on Era boycotted BL3 it would barely be the smallest blip on the sales of the game. For large products this just isn't a realistic way of change, not without coordinated boycotts which will never be viable on the consumer end because the vast majority just don't care enough.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if every single person on Era boycotted BL3 it would barely be the smallest blip on the sales of the game. For large products this just isn't a realistic way of change, not without coordinated boycotts which will never be viable on the consumer end because the vast majority just don't care enough.

Disagree there. I think the amount of launch sales for B3 on steam will be a huge indicator. "We lossed this amount of sales by doing the epic store". And yes, 6 months delay on sales is significant to the suits calculating numbers. 6 months later, Decisions have been made on DLC and sequel plans. Hell, its even worse if its a difference in fiscal year.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know people whose biggest beef with this situation is that they'll now have to buy the game twice...

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
If millions of gamers are going to buy on the Epic store and don't care about the exclusivity than ,yeah, it's over.
Or you can make enough noise, that the less attentive customer also pays attention. Those protesting are always a minority and the goals to effect change seldom come directly from that minority. But if you bring enough awareness to the wider audience then it can make a difference.

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
6 months, 1 year, 2 years. It isn't the length of time, it's the principle. I'm personally ok with waiting, but I don't find the idea of moneyhatted exclusives acceptable.

i think that's the problem with the gaming community, we bitch, we moan, but we still bite on what they're selling. The gaming community as a whole is gullible and publishers know that with time we all come around to some really shitty idea and just accept it. Look at dlc and season passes as prime examples.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
It really disturbs me that people only remember the good examples of review bombing. Do any of you recall what happened to Total War Rome II? It got review bombed by some neo-nazis who couldn't stop complaining about "women in ma videogames!" because of a change that in a certain period allowed more women general to show up in the game. Where were you, then? Any of you? Those who are in favor of review bombing and those who don't? Hell, where was Valve?

Like, fuck Randy Pitchford (a con man and pedophile) and Gearbox (a company who defrauded Sega to diverge millions into the development of Borderlands 2), but don't come in here telling me that review bombing is helpful because it helped in a couple of cases. The people who worked on Rome II did not deserve that shit.

Calling someone a pedo should be a bannable offense. Especially since it's been proven it's not even close to being true. Why this is allowed to continue makes no sense.

BTW, I was 100% with you until that part. Come on man. Be better.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

Like, fuck Randy Pitchford (a con man and pedophile) and Gearbox (a company who defrauded Sega to diverge millions into the development of Borderlands 2), but don't come in here telling me that review bombing is helpful because it helped in a couple of cases. The people who worked on Rome II did not deserve that shit.
"Charlottevilles happened so all public gatherings are bad now"

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Question for all developers: can you see how many people pressed the "ignore" button for your game or on your developers page?

If so, this may be a better way to protest against this whole situation.

doesn't solve the issue.

- you can't ignore Games that you already bought.
- I have ignored thousands of games on steam without having any ill thoughts on the Publisher/Developer/Game or its themes or any other thing with the game. I am just not interested in that specific game and don't want it cluttering my recommendations or frontpage. I even ignore games from publishers or devs that I adore.
- I am ignoring/boycotting EA/THQN games for years, didn't work, they are still here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the other hand, reviewbombing works. Even as an argument. The next time someone snobbishly tells you that we "disgruntled" PC Era gamers are in the minority and not representative of the overall gaming population, show them the reviewbombing, or the 70%disliked youtube trailers. We are not in the minority. And if tens or hundreds of thousands of gamers dislike or reviewbomb games from your company, that should be an alarm bell for those companies.
And IT IS! We wouldn't get EGS defense Force Articles or CEO's from billion Dollar companies doing damage control every day, on the weekend until 4 AM, if they weren't worried.

If we were just some tiny minority, we would be ignored. Reviewbombing is showing them how many of those previous customers are potentially lost forever.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
If everyone had that attitude there would never be a boycott of anything.

Review bombing is the favorite tactic of gamers because it still lets them play the game they want to play while claiming they're taking a stand. They don't have the willpower to not buy it for 6 months, a year, or forever in order to prove a point.
"Just don't buy it" is also the favourite response of people who want to sound like they're willing to take a stand for something, but are against any sort of active protest and would rather that if people want to speak out against companies they do it completely silently.

Hey look, I can do this too!

Please, actually engage with why you believe that review boycotting is ineffective instead of trying to weirdly tie all these negative things to anyone who does it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot we still have the like/dislike ratio on literally every future Borderlands 3 video. That'll be fun. I wonder if they'll ever disable that and the comments?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Must be nice always having 20% off pc games, and crazy steam sales while others have less options for getting games at a bargain. But what do I know I'm a perfect wonderful console customer.
Of course it is, and it's amazing that such an amazingly consumer friendly market have kept growing and attracting new dev/publisher for the past what ? 15 years, while some developer like Epic were giving up on it and calling all of us pirates.

I play on both PC and console, and I hate that because of most people indulgence/passivity we are now at a point where I can't play Gundam Versus, smash or splatoon 2, online, or I would need to pay a subrcription. So much for competition. People should thrive and fight to see the console market look more like the PC market, yet most will do the opposite, we see more of them in those steam/EGS topic to defend anything that make thing less consumer friendly than you will see people complain that :

Sony Changes Policy For PSN, Now Will Offer Full Refund Within 14 Days Based On New ToS is not enough.
Sony will no longer sell full digital game download codes to retailers. shouldn't happen ( when just 1 week before for example, ff14 new extension -digital- was 50% of on amazon for ps4 )
and too many topic to choose from trying to defend sony cross platform multiplayer beta bullshit, etc..
6 months, 1 year, 2 years. It isn't the length of time, it's the principle.

Exactly. Some people defend the idea that exclusivity is only a temporary mesure until EGS take foot in the market, but for all we know, some /many games will end up fully exclusive to EGS once it's big enough that they actually have to pay less ( or even nothing at all ) to cover the loss in marketshare/access to consumer.

Protest in the street shouldn't exist because sometimes nazi protest in the street.

Everyone here is saying that Valve shouldn't moderate review in any way or form under any circumstances. That's totally what is said in this topic.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
>Steam has no interest in correcting this misuse

Literally GDC, but even before that, graphical representations of scores over time, but even before that, two separate review indicators based on time. Hell, I'm not sure of a more thorough review overview system in general. Definitely not in any existing digital distributors. I'm guessing Randy would rather reviews just didn't exist.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Nobody has forgotten the bad shit, it's been bought up several times in this thread in fact. I'm personally arguing that the bad shit doesn't outweigh the benefits, the same way I'm all for allowing public protests, even if that means people I fundamentally disagree with on every level will use it to protest for things that I think are wrong.

As for where I was? On the TW Reddit talking about it.

Also, I reported the last post that called Randy a pedo though I don't know if it's an actionable offense so I'm just going to write this here.

Accusing someone of such a serious and life-destroying offense with no public evidence based solely on an allegation in a messy ongoing legal battle is not only disgusting but immoral and unjust. Be Better.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to have a tool that is actually effective at lighting a fire under the developers asses. Also, Randy is a slimy gaping asshole.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That noise is meaningless if you buy the game though. How many people review bombing are still going to buy it?
I agree that it is far more effective. But it doesn't actually have to stop sales, merely resist or reduce them. I'm sure they have projection of how much they want to sell in X time. As long as it falls short somewhere, they'll pay attention.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Can't help but feel if corporations were transparent for once we wouldn't be having this problem to begin with.

People aren't dumb, this is the Internet where people can figure out your intent and will use it against you if they decide to.

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.