• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That's why it irks publishers so much, because it has an actual effect. That's why people do demonstrations and they don't send letters to their goverments, because the first one has always a real effect while the second it has none. In the same way, we don't abolish the right to demonstrate because some nazis in charlestoville uses that same right.

What publishers want is to control the flow of communication between the users, they want you your feedback but only the ones they are interested, they want to engage with you, but only in the conditions they want. Review bombing will be misused, but is one of the few tools that, has been clearly effective for publishers and devs to demand beneficial changes for the customers over the years.
Very well said!

It's a bit sad that on an enthusiast gaming forum you find people who seem unhappy about customers actually having an effective means to lobby for their concerns, but what can you do.

Only option? Have you considered this list of completely ineffective, toothless, easily ignored means of getting the publisher's attention instead?
Exactly.

Randy is a shit person with a shit way of articulating. But fuck review bombing. Nothing good comes out of it.
Well, that's just demonstrably wrong. Among the outcomes of review bombing were: the removal of problematic DRM; the restoration of modding capabilities; the allowance for full refunds even beyond the standard period; the implementation of better control options; and other unmistakably positive results.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fair comparison when it's comparing two different games /s
Is this being intentionally dense? How would it show the same game when the entire point is that one of the games is only available from a small handful of places? What is it with you people and misrepresenting the issues here?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
That doesn't excuse the fact that the image was a bad comparison.

It isn't a bad comparison.
The entire point of the picture is, that a game on the EGS can only be bought from the EGS, where as a game from any other platform can be bought in a multitude of places.

How are you supposed to compare the same game when the entire point is that EGS is buying exclusivity.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
D3ahjXfX4AApFgJ.png:large

Just posting this here.
After Zelnick lie in February 2019 this was expected.
This guy knows what'sup

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: inappropriate language
Imagine being such a capitalist corporate slave, you call people dumb and entitled for not entering a state of mindless consumption.
Why are you making shit up? DON'T BUY THE THING. Why are you assuming I'm telling you to buy Borderlands on Epic store? DON'T BUY IT. But also don't reviewbomb previous games on steam like a little bitch because the game you want is not on your store of choice.
And Captain Marvel went to make 1 billion dollars. Is like the problems raised about the movie meant a fuck whole of nothing to most people in the world. Let people raise these issues, as dumb and sexists are and let people decide if they are worth or not their time.

I don't think that when people review bombed Total War: Rome II, most people really cared a bunch of nerds were mad at women present in videogames in 2019.
Just proving my point that reviewbombing is useless, even though they worked so hard on trying to destroy this movie's reputation they didn't achieve anything.
don't review bomb just consume thing and get excited for the next thing

hate that i had to quote RLM but here we are
No. Don't buy it and call it a day. Don't understand why are all of you reading my comment as an invitation to buy the new game.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That doesn't excuse the fact that the image was a bad comparison.

It's not a bad comparison though... Somebody could probably make two dozen more of these because the trend encompasses nearly all EGS exclusive games. At the very least you can explain why it's not a good comparison beyond the fact that they aren't comparing the same game. The left was the norm, the right is the current new EGS paradigm.

Deleted member 40335

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2018
User Warned: System Warring
Yes, it's better to just accept everything and pay. People such as you are perfect and wonderful customers, willing to take any price bump and any shitty practices with a huge smile while shitting on the "entitled dumb people" who refuse to be shat on. :)

Must be nice always having 20% off pc games, and crazy steam sales while others have less options for getting games at a bargain. But what do I know I'm a perfect wonderful console customer.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Why are you making shit up? DON'T BUY THE THING. Why are you assuming I'm telling you to buy Borderlands on Epic store? DON'T BUY IT. But also don't reviewbomb previous games on steam like a little bitch because the game you want is not on your store of choice.

You didn't talked about review bombing, you specifally attacked people for boycotting the game, calling them "entitled" and "dumb".
I am not making shit up, that is literally what you said. Don't backtrack now hun.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have anything noteworthy to say to further the discussion?
You first.

Oh, I must have read hastily then. Why the review bombing then ?
Nobody, who is not clinically insane at least, thinks that the exclusivity retroactively makes the previous installments shit. What people do think is that the publishers give zero fucks about anything that does not directly affect their bottom line. Petitions, tweet storms, letter campaigns? That's all for nothing and if anyone is seriously recommending it they're just trying to shut the protests up. Plastering a huge red "overwhelmingly negative" next to the buy me button has been proven to work. It's a protest, the aim is to inconvenience them in a way they can't easily ignore. While the fact that it has to include only tangentially related titles, because BL3 is currently unavailable, is regrettable, so is the publishers fucking with us with impunity.

And yes, not buying would work too, although it's less direct (you cannot not buy thing and send an exact "I hate you because of X" message), I bet T2 has some minimum sale guarantee in the contract with epic.

No. Don't buy it and call it a day.
Why not both?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just proving my point that reviewbombing is useless, even though they worked so hard on trying to destroy this movie's reputation they didn't achieve anything.

It was useless in the case of Captain Marvel because it was a bunch of sexist/misogynistic nerds complaining about the lead actress being a feminist, and most people in the world aren't assholes, luckily.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Must be nice always having 20% off pc games, and crazy steam sales while others have less options for getting games at a bargain. But what do I know I'm a perfect wonderful console customer.
Your point? Lots of PC gamers have said that they hate how the console market is, heck I moved off of consoles because of it. The reason a lot of PC gamers are up in arms is that they view this (EGS, moneyhatting, 3rd party exclusivity) as moving closer to the walled garden of a console rather than the openness of the PC platform.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Also Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel have free weekend now and are very cheap so it's much easier to write reviews.

Edit this.

With the changes we are making now, the review score (shown at the top of store pages and in various places throughout the store such as search results) will no longer include reviews by users that received the game for free, such as via a gift, or during a free weekend. Reviews can still be written by customers that obtained the game in any of these ways, but the review will not count toward the overall review score.

References:

[1] https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-review-scores-will-no-longer-include-unpaid-games-of-any-kind/

[2] https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/563352991934009789

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. Hopefully Valve will do something about it and add more ways for customers to voice their displeasure.
Which would be useless.

The reason people use review bombing is inherently the same reason dev/publisher hate it : it's seen by everyone and is very likely to hit their wallet, which as this deal prove is the only thing which matter to them.

Many people just don't like giving any form of power to the consumer. "please complain in a way which can't lead to any result" No wonder we are at a point where corporations can pit a fight between cities/states so they can get the best deal ever while treating their employe like shit.

Pretty fair comparison when it's comparing two different games /s
oh fucking please, then take this, the division 2 before and after the EGS deal ( pretty sure GMG shouldn't be there, it's actually always "out of stock" ) :
1553947173-img-20190320-182.jpg

happy ? now you can simply say "it doesn't matter" and 'just wait"

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft and Sony do this to each other all the time, the latest high profile example I can think of was rise of the tomb raider; and people were wondering for weeks what Microsoft's role in that was.
It's bullshit there too, paying a publisher to delay games on other platforms can fuck off.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
How sad is your life that you need to negatively score another game due to a decision you dislike regarding something else? That's what baffles me. It's pathetic.
You're soooo close to getting it, but you're just not quite there yet.

Review bombing does absolutely suck. It severely harms the usefulness of user reviews to the point where they can't really be used anymore. They also rely on the thing that is being criticised actually having available reviews, otherwise you get this situation where Borderlands 2, a fantastic game, is being hurt by people's objection to where Borderlands 3 is sold, which is absolutely not fair.

But people aren't review bombing because they themselves are "sad" or their life sucks or anything like that. The problem isn't with them, it's with the system.

These aren't people who are choosing to review bomb because it's shitty, they're taking the shitty option because it's seemingly the only one that actually works.

Storefronts and publishers in general really want to restrict criticism of their products. Publishers aren't exactly going to signal boost criticism, they only want potential customers to see their own curated talk that maximises the chance that they'll buy the game.

User reviews however have become an accepted part of many storefronts or other websites, to the point that it would be very difficult to remove or limit them in any meaningful way without losing a lot of consumer goodwill. And as there are no other meaningful places that criticism can both be heard by the masses and not be hidden away by the developers, review bombing has become one of the only actually useful tools consumers have as a protest. Boycotts would work, but usually not enough people care to be effective, and you can never truly say how much damage was done. You can complain on forums like this, but no one is going to see these criticisms unless they're in these threads. But user reviews? They're right there on the page, for everyone to see. Publishers can't escape them.

Review bombing is a response to a broken capitalist system that will take any opportunities it can to restrict criticism. It sucks, and it's broken, and it's far from an exclusive tactic used for good, but it's not being done because the people review bombing are the problem. The problem is far bigger, and far more troubling, and I can't help but think that in an attempt to feel superior, a lot of people are just filing this away as weirdos doing a bad thing and not putting any deeper thought into why review bombing is happening in the first place.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
It was useless in the case of Captain Marvel because it was a bunch of sexist/misogynistic nerds complaining about the lead actress being a feminist, and most people in the world aren't assholes, luckily.

Really is insane the comparison is even being made, to hold up an example of a review bomb due to sexists and misogynistic and somehow think its akin to the borderlands review bombing. Feels like using a disgusting situation to somehow take a moral highground.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Really is insane the comparison is even being made, to hold up an example of a review bomb due to sexists and misogynistic and somehow think its akin to the borderlands review bombing. Feels like using a disgusting situation to somehow take a moral highground.
Making a disingenuous comparison does not yield a moral high ground.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's bizarre how common it is for developers to have such contempt towards their customers. His audience feel betrayed and disappointed in his companies actions, surely the response from a company that respects their customer should be to try and understand the frustration and mend bridges...

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
The worst part is about this whole situation is that a majority, if not all of the people bitching about this is probably gonna end up buying bl3 when it releases on steam anyway. Like others in this thread have said;
vote with your wallet instead.

Gamers love to talk about boycotting this game, or don't buy this company's game, but those same people always end up giving the same companies they complain about their money.

Remember when DLCs were becoming a thing and everyone complained? Well people still bought it and now it's standard fare for video games.

At the end of the day if you complain, but turn around and buy the game then who really wins?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing it should be clear: EGS is not only attacking Steam, they are attacking all other third party (except Humble Bundle store) stores out there. AS much as Epic says is not the case, is pretty clear at this point.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine it'd be the opposite. Guys in the 40s have seen stuff like this play out numerous times. Companies buying their way into a market is hardly a new thing. Nothing so far as we know is actually exclusive for anything more than a year. So it's more the impatient gamers that are riled up than anything else. Maybe I'll eventually buy something from the EGS, but I'm just as likely to wait out the year and probably get it cheaper anyway.

I'm in my 40s. That's why I think I've got an idea of how this will play out. I know why Steam beat out its competitors a decade ago. I was referring to older being early 30s on average though. I think the average age here is about 22-23 IMO.

Two things did it: The Orange box and Civ V. The Orange Box was the loss leader for Valve, and Civ V was the title that made Stardock give up on Impulse entirely and cleared out the last competitor that wasn't willing to be a Steam key reseller (GOG came later and with a different intent).

I also know that's a lot more difficult to win now against Valve, than it was against the small publishers competing with Valve last decade.

EGS does have its Orange Box with Fortnite. The question is will they be able to get their Civ V. They realize the only way they can is to buy it, something Valve didn't have to do.

Also, the tools to express anger are a lot more avaliable these days. 10 years ago twitter was in alpha , and folks were a lot less angry in general (we're in an age of anger now thanks to politics- the anger over Bush was so much less, and that anger was huge at the time)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Do I sense hostility ?
I mean yes, I love getting 20% off my games.
So it means you were arguing in bad faith and that it actually makes a difference ?
You know, I get it. I get what you're arguing. But instead of saying "Entitled PC users" maybe you should try being "entitled" too.
Maybe if you were more "entitled" you wouldn't pay to play online on P2P servers.
Maybe if you were more "entitled" servers wouldn't close despite the fact you pay for online play.
Maybe if you were more "entitled" prices of membership wouldn't go up. Or you wouldn't pay for cloud saves. Or to change your username.
And you would also get 3rd party stores selling PSN/XBL games for cheaper too.

Eh but what do I know I'm an entitled PC user. :")

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't talked about review bombing, you specifally attacked people for boycotting the game, calling them "entitled" and "dumb".
I am not making shit up, that is literally what you said. Don't backtrack now hun.
First. I didn't even mention the game, just the boycott culture. Second I posted another message talking about that before you even replied, it's like ten messages before your reply, in the same page. If you cared enough to read through the page before hitting reply you would have known.
Please don't reviewbomb this reply too, thx

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Well I spent 1k on my PC parts so the 20+% off games definitely softens the blow.

You guys spent like what, 200-400 on your consoles and can buy used physical games for cheap. Definitely don't see the issue here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Review bombing is unfair in a lot of cases, but it is effective and it's one of the few effective ways to get a reaction from the developers/publishers. I remember when GTA 5 got review bombed to hell and back due to T2 going after mods, OpenIV in particular IIRC. GTA 5, one of, if not the biggest game ever - you'd think if there's a game where the publisher will just say "fuck it, who cares" then that'll be the one since it sells like hotcakes anyway. And yet, a week or so later R* released an apology and changed their stance.

Who knows if that would have happened if it wasn't for the review bomb. The game went from "very positive" to "mixed".

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
He's not really wrong about the review bombing but I'm loath to take morality lessons from a guy like him

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Voting with your wallet is an absence of a vote. It says noting about why you didn't buy the game or why one is angry.

Surely why can't people do both?

To each their own I suppose.

Personally speaking, if I genuinely was angry at an upcoming movie for some reason, say they whitewashed the actors, I wouldn't write about it, I just wouldn't go see the move.

Oct 29, 2017

Personally speaking, if I genuinely was angry at an upcoming movie for some reason, say they whitewashed the actors, I wouldn't write about it, I just wouldn't go see the move.
You don't see almost every movie ever released. Why on earth would you think that communicates anything to anyone?

If you don't write about it you haven't done anything

Why then are you posting in this thread at all? Surely if you disagree you should say nothing. That will show 'em

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One thing it should be clear: EGS is not only attacking Steam, they are attacking all other third party (except Humble Bundle store) stores out there. AS much as Epic says is not the case, is pretty clear at this point.
That is their intention
put all key sellers out of business until they completely control digital distribution and you can only buy games from them.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The eagerness of some to shut down the most effective avenue consumers have to show their displeasure outside of the most ineffectual, toothless ways possible is sad. "Just don't buy the game" tells the publisher nothing about why you didn't buy the game. Tweets can and are ignored all the time. Discussions on developers forums can and are easily shutdown by community managers and mods that work for said publisher.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But yeah Randy sounds like he thinks he's entitled to good reviews regardless of how they treat their player base. If you want to have a good reception from your audience, talk to them, listen to them, and make publishing decisions with the intention of serving them.

Regardless of how wrong Randy is. I'm kinda disappointed review bombing doesn't even work anymore. There's no way for us to communicate to them how fucked this is now besides uninstalling EGS and not buying Borderlands 3 until it releases on Steam, and you know people aren't gonna do that. Randy should know that too though and stop behaving like a baby.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Regardless of how wrong Randy is. I'm kinda disappointed review bombing doesn't even work anymore. There's no way for us to communicate to them how fucked this is now besides uninstalling EGS and not buying Borderlands 3 until it releases on Steam, and you know people aren't gonna do that.
There's always Metacritic lol

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Well I spent 1k on my PC parts so the 20+% off games definitely softens the blow.

You guys spent like what, 200-400 on your consoles and can buy used physical games for cheap. Definitely don't see the issue here.

That was your choice to spend that much on a build, you weren't forced into spending that much. Typical average price for a new Used physical game is like $55, so it's not really a deal. You can get older pc games for cheap so your argument doesn't really have legs.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

So do you see most movies then?

Because I assume you don't. I'm going to guess you only watch a tiny amount of the total movies that come out. And yet, with the abscence of anything else from you, whatever message you have sent when you "boycott" a movie, you've sent to every single movie you just haven't gone to see, for any reason.

There needs to be more than just the absence of a purchase, if you actually want results.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was your choice to spend that much on a build, you weren't forced into spending that much. Typical average price for a new Used physical game is like $55, so it's not really a deal. You can get older pc games for cheap so your argument doesn't really have legs.
What are you even arguing anymore?
"You entitled PC gamers had it too good for far too long, now suffer with me"?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's just demonstrably wrong. Among the outcomes of review bombing were: the removal of problematic DRM; the restoration of modding capabilities; the allowance for full refunds even beyond the standard period; the implementation of better control options; and other unmistakably positive results.

Apologies for not making it clear in my post that I don't particularly mean in a sense of "bad reviews" in as much as it actually impacts the game in question that's being bombed (i.e if Borderlands 2 has shit DRM then go ahead and bomb it) but the process of using it as a trojan horse against shit that doesn't actually affect the game in any meaningful way, and at this point the latter is what the system overwhelmingly favors. So yeah, fuck review bombing. It's become a tool for disenfranchised users to abuse, and the abuse of that system makes its impact lessened in the grand scheme of things.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how wrong Randy is. I'm kinda disappointed review bombing doesn't even work anymore. There's no way for us to communicate to them how fucked this is now besides uninstalling EGS and not buying Borderlands 3 until it releases on Steam, and you know people aren't gonna do that.

So review bombing is done because people have no impulse control and can't wait six months to play Borderlands 3? Sounds like PC gamers should be angry at those people instead.

The fact that Steam had to implement a feature that can dismiss recent reviews from the overall score when something like this happens shows that they don't agree with it either.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Regardless of how wrong Randy is. I'm kinda disappointed review bombing doesn't even work anymore. There's no way for us to communicate to them how fucked this is now besides uninstalling EGS and not buying Borderlands 3 until it releases on Steam, and you know people aren't gonna do that. Randy should know that too though and stop behaving like a baby.

To the passerby on the store page a review bomb isn't as in your face as it used to be, but a game that has experienced one does still have a big asterisk next to the score. Upon clicking it you get brought to the review page where the influx of negative reviews can be seen, likely before the positive ones. A little less bite, but it's still possible to see that a game is causing a stir.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If no one wrote about the whitewashing of actors and the movie bombed....how would the studio know it was because of the whitewashing? Or how would the studio know it was a problem at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.