• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Like it always happens, previous Borderlands games were review-bombed with negative reviews about Epic Games, exclusivity and stuff like that. Also Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel have free weekend now and are very cheap so it's much easier to write reviews.

Ironically, that this misuse is possible and that Steam has no interest in correcting this misuse makes me kind of happy about 2k's decision and makes me want to reconsider Gearbox Publishing's current posture on the platform.

"I wouldn't hit you if you didn't deserve it. It's your fault I am hitting you." WTF is wrong with you and this victim blaming bullshit. Kindly fuck off, troll.
To be fair Valve already announced that they will be changing their system but at the same time 1) all these reviews will stay forever, 2) the dedicated team will change the overall score of the game and nobody knows when this'll happen
A team at Valve will then be notified of this, and the team in question will investigate the activity and see if it relates to a review bombing campaign rather than legitimate reviews. If it's found to be review bombing, then all reviews within that time period will be discounted from the review score of the title, although the reviews in question will still be visible.
https://screenrant.com/steam-user-review-changes-review-bombing/

UPD:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Randy just needs to stop responding to people on Twitter. You can tell they're really getting under his skin.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

But yeah Randy sounds like he thinks he's entitled to good reviews regardless of how they treat their player base. If you want to have a good reception from your audience, talk to them, listen to them, and make publishing decisions with the intention of serving them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
"No no no we took the deal because of this, see, not the money!"

Don't fall for it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there something about Steam trying to pitch that their steam reviews were a good system that all storefronts need to have, like a day before the Metro review bombs? I can imagine that being a factor for sure.

But at the same time, I also can't trust Randy to be acting in good faith, and is probably looking for a reason to ditch steam alltogether for that Epic money.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Customers using one of the few methods they have to make themselves heard.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Review bombing for something like this is pretty pathetic tbh. Figured this would be the excuse that randy would use.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't like the Steam review system after what happened with the Playtonic / Jontron situation.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Did Reviewbombing ever lead to the result people wanted it to have?

Yes. Nearly everytime. Worked for paid mods. Worked for Gta 5 mods. Worked for Batman Arkham Knight. Worked for Chrono Trigger. Worked for Rainbow Six Siege censorship. Worked for some games chinese localisation.
So yeah... It works.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the lying hack whose company got grilled over the Aliens :Colonial Marines debacle is championing the idea of shutting down user reviews. I'm sure that'll work out great for him and Epic.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it feels like this type of stuff makes the Epic Store review "model" look better for developers.

Just don't buy the game.

Also, it feels like watching the dopes review bomb Captain Marvel before it released. How could anyone have a legitimate review in April for a game that releases in September? Seems so strange.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think allowing review bombs is good when used to protest poor decision making. You can tell it works when devs get upset.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"victim blaming"
sabu.png

go to bed, randy

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
This is Pitchford fishing for a seat at the table that Annapurna and Ubi are sitting at (i.e. a multi-game deal). Also, he needs to stop acting like Gearbox doesn't co-fund development of the Borderlands games with 2K and has zero say in the publishing side of things.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The man who stole money from Sega and gave us Aliens :Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem forever

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off randy pitchford, but also yeah review bombing is pathetic gamers rise up shit

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
But Randy wouldn't be saying/doing this if people weren't actively trying to hurt the image of their already released games... It's THEIR fault Randy is responding like this.

The "we wouldn't be doing this if you didn't do an exclusive deal" bullshit can be flipped right back onto those people.

Want to know how to make your voice heard? Don't buy BL3.. EVER. Being petty and review bombing already released games from the publisher/developer on Steam actively hurts Steam and doesn't help Steam's case at all with developers... and certainly doesn't make the developer/publisher any more sympathetic to your feelings.

Simply don't buy future games... and the problem solves itself

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Honestly, it feels like this type of stuff makes the Epic Store review "model" look better for developers.

Just don't buy the game.

Also, it feels like watching the dopes review bomb Captain Marvel before it released. How could anyone have a legitimate review in April for a game that releases in September? Seems so strange.
People are review-bombing old Borderlands games. Yeah, Valve better get on with those anti-review bomb measures it announced recently

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Randy seems to have extremely thin skin. It's not like Borderlands needs a positive user review status at this point, people are just showing they don't like the 3rd mainline game suddenly going exclusive to another store anyway they can, unfortunately 1 of the best ways is review bombing.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Nearly everytime. Worked for paid mods. Worked for Gta 5 mods. Worked for Batman Arkham Knight. Worked for Chrono Trigger. Worked for Rainbow Six Siege censorship. Worked for some games chinese localisation.
So yeah... It works.
Would those be considered review bombing if those reviews were actual issues with a game? I thought review bombing was referred as things that aren't an issue with the game itself. I think there's a difference between, say, alot of people giving Monster Hunter World a bad review because it was legitimately broken, vs review bombing Total War for adding more women.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there something about Steam trying to pitch that their steam reviews were a good system that all storefronts need to have, like a day before the Metro review bombs? I can imagine that being a factor for sure.

But at the same time, I also can't trust Randy to be acting in good faith, and is probably looking for a reason to ditch steam alltogether for that Epic money.

Steam Reviews is good feature and review bombing happens on really small percentage of games that are there, and often that review bombing has something to do with publisher decision that is against consumers.

You will often see big developers and media complaining about Steam Reviews (especially media) while those same media will publish 100 Fortnite articles per month and 0 indie game reviews or previews. And guess who then covers those small indie games? Yeah Steam Reviews. Supraland was released from Early Access yesterday I think, there are 0 outlets covering it. There are 100s of these cases and somehow Steam Reviews are blamed for everything and according to developers media outlets are covering gaming industry in a good way.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a fan of the "Taking my toys and going home" kind of attitude. Wish he'd just have called out review bombing for the embarrassment it is. At the very least though, he's not wrong that review bombs are exactly the kind of toxic bullshit Steam enables that's making it an easier decision for developers to switch.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it victim blaming when one of the outlets to express dissatisfaction on 2K's publishing choice with Borderlands 3 being exclusive to Epic Games Store is through the reviews of their older games? It clearly got their attention so the objective is being achieved. I understand the annoyance, but like that Twitter person said is that this wouldn't be happening if such choices were made.

Many believe the choice of publishing exclusively to Epic Games Store for 6 months isn't right, and is removing accessibility that could have easily been catered to by having it on all storefronts. Like I've said before, add the game everywhere but make it cheaper on Epic. Hell Epic should make cheques out to devs/publishers asking them to come to their store with a slightly cheaper price which would definitely drive me over to using it compared to Steam.

Now I have to pay a ridiculous $100AUD for a PC game. In 2019 and no way of getting cheaper legit cd keys either which is just great as a consumer.

Did Reviewbombing ever lead to the result people wanted it to have?

Like I said, would this not be a case where it actually has achieved what it wanted to achieve in getting the attention of those directly involved?

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

Review bombing is what happens when developers have demonstrated they just don't care and players feel like they have to hit somewhere for companies to feel it.

xylo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait didn't he just say the other day that he didn't have anything to do with the exclusive deal and that they were just innocent creators and people should leave them alone? But now he's saying that the Gearbox is should adjust whether it publishes on steam?

So did they have a say or not?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pedoford gunna sit around like Borderlands doesnt thrive on mining toxic nerd culture in the first place for it's success.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Randy seems to have extremely thin skin. It's not like Borderlands needs a positive user review status at this point, people are just showing they don't like the 3rd mainline game suddenly going exclusive to another store anyway they can, unfortunately 1 of the best ways is review bombing.
Reviews are meant to be an effective way of judging the quality of the game in question, and whether or not that game is for you.

Review bombing for outside reasons does nothing to meet that end and in fact damages the effectiveness for people to properly gauge the quality of a game.

It's stupid. Make petitions or something... stop fucking up a system that's meant to genuinely reflect the quality of a game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Wait didn't he just say the other day that he didn't have anything to do with the exclusive deal and that they were just innocent creators and people should leave them alone? But now he's saying that the Gearbox is should adjust whether it publishes on steam?

Obviously they do, he's just hiding behind 2k so he can deflect as much of the criticism as possible "WASNT ME, NUH-UHUH"

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
"Steam has no interest in correcting this misuse" how cute that he also tries to pin this on Steam.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Review bombing games is dumb, it's even dumber for games that have nothing to do with the issue your moaning about.
Ultimately, I doubt very much this will see much of a positive result.
EGS will keep getting exclusives and they will probably sell just fine.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

He's referring to the games that Gearbox publishes itself, such as We Happy Few.

Status
Not open for further replies.