• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I dont really get this feeling at all. If anything Millenials and the generations after feel like they share alot more of a connection than previous generations did. Alot of our interests and culture are adjacent. And we all hate baby-boomers.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gen X thinks they can escape this but they were so privileged and selfish and didn't do enough to keep pushing back against Boomers. Once enough Boomers have gone and time moves on Gen X will be the new target, then eventually time will come for the millennials.

Millenialls being the only generation beside Gen Z to not vote majority trump. Millenials are much more closely aligned with the progressive nature and culture of Gen Z. We also are more in touch with the internet.

Gen X has some checks which are about to get cashed against them in the coming years.

While this is all true, it's in the nature of Gen X to go invisible and dodge it for as long as possible. And it's in the Millennial nature to become the hated old folks as early as possible.

In fact, Millennials will become the hated old folks BEFORE Gen X.

In fact, that's the case right now lol.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about hated, but the Gen Z kids I know do see Millennials in a "They correctly identified the problems but whined about them instead of dealing with them" light. What remains to be seen is if Gen Z will make good on that judgment and crack the problems with useful solutions or whether they too will hit the wall of systemic injustice and slowly slide down it like Wile E. Coyote, as the Millennials did.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair us millenials get hated on so much because boomers and Gen x consider anyone under 40 to be a millennial. We are shielding Gen z from the hate up above, so your welcome (boomers have started to slowly notice there is another generation below us)

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The relationship between Millenials and Gen Z feels like siblings heckling each other and giving each other a hard time for fun. If anything it's going to be the next gen or the one after that is going to hate our guts for being on the precipice of total environmental and economic disaster, and not banding together to stop it when we had the political power to theoretically do so.
Yeah, this.

I mean, I guess it could be because I was born pretty close to whatever's considered to be the transition from one generation to the next, but having hung out with people that are both 8-9 years older and younger than me, I feel like they're really all the same. The generational divide between the two feels extremely forced to me, so this kind of back-and-forth antagonism comes off like a sibling rivarly.

Oct 25, 2017
Millennials and Zoomers are most likely to end up working together to undo all the shit boomers and wealthy Gen-Xers put everyone through. Millennials didn't just shorten everyone's lives by years by pretending a pandemic isn't happening (and also getting the vaccine first).
Ehh Millennials like boomers are a big generation and the older half do align up with GenX ideals.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The only time we talk about ya'll is to talk about how no one talks about ya'll lol

And I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

But yeah, I mean mostly from boomers; we got plenty of shit back then, believe me. We were coming of age when computers started becoming ubiquitous and the Internet became a thing; the culture shock was staggering for them and they needed someone to blame for the world suddently becoming incomprehensible to them. Of course, once new generations appeared that had grown up with computers and internet as kids and were even more tech-savvy and inscrutable to them (not to mention in more vulnerable positions and less likely to fight back), they switched targets.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Like our hate of boomers is. All generational animosity is bull shit and aggrieved people find reasons to feel like it's valid. My point is that millennials are bound to become the new boomers. Gen X will still be the perpetual middle child. And in time, whatever some new future generation is will complain about whoever the up and coming generation is today.

About my previous point about power brokering, though, millennials are already the largest voting bloc by generation, with 2020 being the first generation that baby boomers had been surpassed as the largest generation since ~1992.

www.pewresearch.org

Millennials approach Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation in the electorate

As of November 2016, an estimated 62 million Millennials were voting-age U.S. citizens – moving closer in number to the 70 million Baby Boomers.

(this was from 2018 but the projection became true, I just can't find a 2021 article about it)

Not really, at least not to the extent that Millennials have been. While there's truth to the idea that generational animosity is all manufactured to some degree, the reality is that things like mass deregulation, escalated climate change, etc. were driven by those in the boomer generation when they rose to power in key positions and, by and large, those in that generation still hold those positions because they systemically weighted the system to where only they could continue holding that power. Even if this part about Millennials being a bigger voting bloc is true, that isn't important. It's about who has the most voting power, and that is still weighed more in line with boomers since boomers have more presence and larger voting populations in the disproportionate rural areas and less populated states that hold more voting sway.

I mean, I get the reaction to what to say it's all bullshit or whatever. And obviously there is a large part of generalization here (not all Boomers, not all Millennials, yadda yadda), but the reality is that the boomer generation had far more negative impact on the world with how their generation wielded, and continues to wield power to this day, and Millennials had vast marketing campaigns done by right-wing think tanks to demonize them, something that previous generations never really had, at least not to the wide reaching effects that's possible now. That's just simple fact. It's easy to try and turn into a 'both sides' thing, but it's more complicated than the easy, 'well, every generation hates every generation' stuff that makes everyone feel woke and comfortable or whatever.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
While this is all true, it's in the nature of Gen X to go invisible and dodge it for as long as possible. And it's in the Millennial nature to become the hated old folks as early as possible.

In fact, Millennials will become the hated old folks BEFORE Gen X.

In fact, that's the case right now lol.

It's not, Zoomers are dunking on Millennials but it's mostly culture it's not nearly the same at all. Boomers are the hated generation now and guess what, Millennials don't love Gen X either. Once more Zoomers get a bit older and Gen X are the 60 something year-old senators, and CEO's the Zoomers will come for them. RIght now it's easier to make fun of Millennials because they understand us and our references, Gen X is too old for them to even make fun of because their shit's not online or interesting.

Such is the way of things, progress sort of demands that an improved generation rejects and dislikes the ones which came prior. The Alphas will come for the Zoomers, the Betas the Alphas so on and so on

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Avocado toast and harry potter are the same dumb cultural bullshit that every preceding generation has been mocked for. Same song, different words.

Boomers, fair or not, are going to always be finger pointed for facilitating, accelerating and consciously impeding any attempt to mitigate the global climate destruction of the planet.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I work with zoomers and most of the hate is them making fun of me for liking old video games and having out of date anime references.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Listen to this:

citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: Episode 38: The Media's Bogus Generation Obsession

“Baby Boomers are bloating the social safety net!” “GenXers are changing the nature of work!” “Millennials are killing the housing market!". The media endlessly feeds us stories about how one generation or another is engaging in some collective act of moral failing that, either explicitly or by...

This is not to say they are generational patterns, but we're still more complex than generations and it hurts real change.

It's a smoke screen to more critical issues.

I don't disagree, but we're talking about different things. The media definitely pushes generation wars nonsense, but the idea of a cultural divide between generations is based in truth.

I don't see Millennials being particularly hostile to Gen X in reality, no matter what nonsense appears in those articles.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
GenZ will probably be even worse. They are basically karens of the generations. Always blaming others, shitting on everything and then folding when there's any hardship. All bark, no action.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The entire Millennial generation seems like they have arrested development. It is really bizarre.

Oct 25, 2017
Gen X thinks they can escape this but they were so privileged and selfish and didn't do enough to keep pushing back against Boomers. Once enough Boomers have gone and time moves on Gen X will be the new target, then eventually time will come for the millennials.

Millenialls being the only generation beside Gen Z to not vote majority trump. Millenials are much more closely aligned with the progressive nature and culture of Gen Z. We also are more in touch with the internet.

Gen X has some checks which are about to get cashed against them in the coming years.

Gen X created more bull shit than they will admit

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The thing you need to understand is this is all a function of time. Most of my high school mates were left leaning, thought of themselves as revolutionaries, dreamed to change the world to make it fair, went to demonstrations against the government, etc. Then they got married, settled down, had kids, got traditional jobs (or even became entrepreneurs with employees of their own).

Literally the same guy that chastised people when were teens for not attending a public demonstration in support of the government using a percentage of taxes to end poverty, told me a few months ago that he fired one of his employees because she had used swear words (in a private environment, mind). It's depressing but it's true; almost everyone shifts conservative over time. I swore that it wouldn't happen to me, and for the most part it didn't, but very few of the people I know from back them fared well in that regard; you need an open mind, and continuous vigilance, self-examination and self-updating.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe once all the boomers are dead, sure. Gen X is older than us but no one ever even remembers they exist.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Boomers go down in history as the most hated. Easy.

Gen-x continues to be so small that nobody really has anything to say about us. It's all pointless anyway.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Millennial here, I dislike most Millennials myself(though not as much as I dislike privileged Boomers).

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, at least not to the extent that Millennials have been. While there's truth to the idea that generational animosity is all manufactured to some degree, the reality is that things like mass deregulation, escalated climate change, etc. were driven by those in the boomer generation when they rose to power in key positions and, by and large, those in that generation still hold those positions because they systemically weighted the system to where only they could continue holding that power. Even if this part about Millennials being a bigger voting bloc is true, that isn't important. It's about who has the most voting power, and that is still weighed more in line with boomers since boomers have more presence and larger voting populations in the disproportionate rural areas and less populated states that hold more voting sway.

I mean, I get the reaction to what to say it's all bullshit or whatever. And obviously there is a large part of generalization here (not all Boomers, not all Millennials, yadda yadda), but the reality is that the boomer generation had far more negative impact on the world with how their generation wielded, and continues to wield power to this day, and Millennials had vast marketing campaigns done by right-wing think tanks to demonize them, something that previous generations never really had, at least not to the wide reaching effects that's possible now. That's just simple fact. It's easy to try and turn into a 'both sides' thing, but it's more complicated than the easy, 'well, every generation hates every generation' stuff that makes everyone feel woke and comfortable or whatever.
This. Boomers are a legitimate problem group.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't pay attention to many social media sites or trends in the first place, so I have no basis for this discussion. Otherwise, I couldn't care less what other generations think. I can't help them if our generation is occupying their ire with their memes and jokes; come up with better material then.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Millennials had it tough, most of them graduated into a recession and had their earning potential slashed, the housing market continued to rise as did the cost of education and so on. I think the boomers had it pretty easy in retrospect.

Gen X has some troubles ahead of them but millennials have done a lot for them, for example; stifling some of the boomer behaviour in the workplace.

Also Gen X never had a media like Pokémon or Harry Potter so they just jealous.
Gen X isn't jealous of Pokemon and Harry Potter. We had Super Mario Bros. and Empire Strikes Back.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
They're inheriting a dying planet and hopelessly broken nations. Of course they're angry at everyone older than them

That's just a bullshit to justify acting like a entitled asshole. If it's not that then it's "because it's funny" or some other thinly veiled excuse. There have been youth movements in every single generation and GenZ is not anything special. They are just another overconsuming generation that needlesly tries to rebel against everyone else instead of actually doing something productive. And that's really disappointing because they are the first young generation with actual global voice and they just waste it to vain and ignorant bickering.

Last edited:

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
As you age, you make more money, build a family, and buy a house. Those who don't have that yet "hate" you and blame it on someone else. Then they get it, and others hate them. Same shit, different day.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've thought about this before and I think a lot of it has to do with growing up in a period of major, unprecedented levels of technological transition that neither our preceding or succeeding generations knew or will ever know. We still use words like doggo and adulting because we are the kid generation. That world existed only for us and we never had a place in the world our parents knew, and are displaced in the world that our kids and nieces and nephews are growing up in.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I tend to hyper focus on shit to be more likable but I genuinely can't bring myself to care about this beyond the memes.

To anyone that does care I hope you start preparing for when you're the generational face of the climate disaster for our collective inaction.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I gotta be honest, words like adulting and doggo, along with Harry Potter, all kind of blow. So gen Z is onto something.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind. This will actually be a good thing. I cannot wait to continue to live rent-free in everyone's head.