• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Local news ran an on the street story a few days ago on teenage fashion after a fiasco at a regional high school. A lot of comments on how 90's 20s-ish X it was. Mom's and grandma's talking about getting heck from fashioniZtas for not saving their vintage clothes. Will archetypal 20 something Millennial fashion trend with teens after 30 years?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Abolish generations, it's an entirely arbitrary classification for hundreds of millions of people that doesn't mean anything in reality.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
If Millennial are responsible for dumb internet language than yes they are bad but I imagine we are not much better.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me the biggest difference growing up as a millennial is that we share the same online spaces as gen z. So suddenly there's this influx of new, younger people with new opinions and you see a lot of friction there. I see it in various nerd fandoms all the time. I didn't really have much interactions with gen x growing up.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
It kind of is what it is and you shouldn't be too attached to something where the oldest of us is like 39 and the youngest of us is 26.

BUT. After something like a decade of older people blaming millennials for being garbage, now Gen Z is coming up behind us and seems to strongly dislike us as well lmao. I think that's it. Gen X managed to skate by completely ignored while Boomers/Gen X hates us for dumb shit like avocado toast and "ruining every industry" by not having money, while Gen Z roasts us for using words like doggo and adulting and acting like Harry Potter is the only book ever and essentially "never growing up".

How's it feel, Millennials? Do you care? Do you feel like the hatred is earned? Or are you so used to self-deprication that this is light work?

Millennials had it tough, most of them graduated into a recession and had their earning potential slashed, the housing market continued to rise as did the cost of education and so on. I think the boomers had it pretty easy in retrospect.

Gen X has some troubles ahead of them but millennials have done a lot for them, for example; stifling some of the boomer behaviour in the workplace.

Also Gen X never had a media like Pokémon or Harry Potter so they just jealous.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have reached that point where I am too old to give a shit what people I don't know and will never meet think about me. Plus most of them are going through that "I know best how everything in the world works" phase of the late teens and early 20s, which means everyone older gets shat on. I think I will take a page out of all the people I know from "Gen X", I ain't a fan of how crazy this labeling generations is getting, and just go "whatever, I have my own problems to deal with."

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
The relationship between Millenials and Gen Z feels like siblings heckling each other and giving each other a hard time for fun. If anything it's going to be the next gen or the one after that is going to hate our guts for being on the precipice of total environmental and economic disaster, and not banding together to stop it when we had the political power to theoretically do so.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Who cares? That's the natural cycle of things. Honestly it's much sadder when you see millennials in their 30s trying to defend themselves against teenagers. Yeah I'm sure a 17 year old thinks I'm lame as shit, that's kinda how it goes.

The best thing we millennials can do is stop the stupid generation wars and not have a chip on our shoulder because children don't think we are cool. Let's not be like our parents and get mad at younger generations for not respecting us enough. Let's allow the youth to inherit the earth and try not to have a bunch of octogenarian millennials running US politics in 40-50 years because we don't trust the younger generations. To gen Z I say mock away, I'm sure we deserve it.

Oct 26, 2017
Generation naming is almost certainly a tactic to divide us and make us bicker at each other while we get our pockets picked.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Generational divisions are manufactured to keep people divided and at each others throats. I'm a late millennial and have plenty of friends who are gen x and zoomers.

Not to mention most people have no idea who exactly are which generation. My parents who are both mid-boomers were talking about millennials ruining things and I asked what they thought the age range for millennials is. They said people who are like 16-21. When I said I was a millennial, they were surprised. Then I told them my cousins who are like 12 years older than me are millennials.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've taken a gaze into the abyss of zoomer culture through my nephew's interests. I am happy being hated by these tasteless children.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This generations things is mostly a media scam.

People are more complex than generations.

As an old Millennial with friends and dating prospects who straddle the Millennial/Gen X line: nope.

Of course people are more complex than generations, but we're also more complicated than cultures, too. Generational divides and contrasts are cultural, and the differences are often profound. I vibe with Millennials so much more than I do Gen X folk, even thought many of them are just a year older, or even the same age as me. But culturally, I'm a Millennial through and through, which generally means I'm more empathetic, less cynical, and less bootstrapsy than most Gen Xers my age; to name a small handful of the most common differences.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Millennials are not the current power-brokering generation, and the Millennial hate that is getting talked about here has absolutely zero to do with that.

"Going to be," future tense. We [well, me, I'm a millennial] will soon become the power brokering generation. Population wise we're a good deal larger than Gen X, Boomers have begun aging out and will begin to be less relevant.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't every generation hate the other generations? Isn't it simply more prominent now because the younger generations are becoming more visible due to social media?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
"Going to be," future tense. We [well, me, I'm a millennial] will soon become the power brokering generation. Population wise we're a good deal larger than Gen X, Boomers have begun aging out and will begin to be less relevant.

Doubtful that'll be anytime soon to any large degree, but that still isn't really relevant to what's actually being talked either way. The hate for Millennials isn't about power they do and/or will hold. It's largely something that was manufactured and marketed.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It kind of is what it is and you shouldn't be too attached to something where the oldest of us is like 39 and the youngest of us is 26.

BUT. After something like a decade of older people blaming millennials for being garbage, now Gen Z is coming up behind us and seems to strongly dislike us as well lmao. I think that's it. Gen X managed to skate by completely ignored while Boomers/Gen X hates us for dumb shit like avocado toast and "ruining every industry" by not having money, while Gen Z roasts us for using words like doggo and adulting and acting like Harry Potter is the only book ever and essentially "never growing up".

How's it feel, Millennials? Do you care? Do you feel like the hatred is earned? Or are you so used to self-deprication that this is light work?

Zoomers mocking doggo / adulting / HP isn't any different than millennials making fun of Fortnite or whatever, it's all jokes. Seems very much like an older/younger sibling kind of thing but maybe thats because I'm a millennial and both my brothers are zoomers.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
As an old Millennial with friends and dating prospects who straddle the Millennial/Gen X line: nope.

Of course people are more complex than generations, but we're also more complicated than cultures, too. Generational divides and contrasts are cultural, and the differences are often profound. I vibe with Millennials so much more than I do Gen X folk, even thought many of them are just a year older, or even the same age as me. But culturally, I'm a Millennial through and through, which generally means I'm more empathetic, less cynical, and less bootstrapsy than most Gen Xers my age; to name a small handful of the most common differences.
Listen to this:

citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: Episode 38: The Media's Bogus Generation Obsession

“Baby Boomers are bloating the social safety net!” “GenXers are changing the nature of work!” “Millennials are killing the housing market!". The media endlessly feeds us stories about how one generation or another is engaging in some collective act of moral failing that, either explicitly or by...

This is not to say they are generational patterns, but we're still more complex than generations and it hurts real change.

It's a smoke screen to more critical issues.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, no. We gen X-ers got tons of shit from boomers growing up (and now get shit from millennials, etc.).

Every generation thinks they're the best and hates every other generation. Older generations are "old and out of touch", newer generations are "childish and braindead"; it's just the way it is. The sooner you make peace with the fact that every subsequent generation will inevitably hate you, the better.

The only time we talk about ya'll is to talk about how no one talks about ya'll lol

Oct 25, 2017
Obv none of this matters in "the real world". But definitely I have noticed a wave of "the kids" clowning millennials that are in their late 20's and early 30's.
Sooo they're acting like we did when we clowned on gen X'ers in their late 20's and early 30's. Only difference now is it's easier to notice and cause trends thanks to social media. Don't let it get to you. Also as a millennial, anyone unironically using "adulting" deserves clowning, because I will join the boom/zoomers.

Oct 25, 2017

BUT. After something like a decade of older people blaming millennials for being garbage, now Gen Z is coming up behind us and seems to strongly dislike us as well lmao. I think that's it. Gen X managed to skate by completely ignored while Boomers/Gen X hates us for dumb shit like avocado toast and "ruining every industry" by not having money, while Gen Z roasts us for using words like doggo and adulting and acting like Harry Potter is tho only book ever and essentially "never growing up".

lol what Gen Z uses the term Doggo

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Gen X thinks they can escape this but they were so privileged and selfish and didn't do enough to keep pushing back against Boomers. Once enough Boomers have gone and time moves on Gen X will be the new target, then eventually time will come for the millennials.

Millenialls being the only generation beside Gen Z to not vote majority trump. Millenials are much more closely aligned with the progressive nature and culture of Gen Z. We also are more in touch with the internet.

Gen X has some checks which are about to get cashed against them in the coming years.

Jan 4, 2018
I say this as a millennial myself, but for some reason it seems like millennials take this shit way more seriously than any other group. I have to imagine a large part of it comes from us being consistently gaslit as the downfall of society by boomers for pretty much our whole teen/adult lives (especially in conjunction with the financial crisis of 2008) to the point that we just low-key hate ourselves.

That being said, I've always taken more recent inter-generational hate as just typical internet shit-talking (maybe less so with boomers). Like, if you actually go around basing your opinions and feelings about people by the years they were born between then that's actually pretty fucked up. And I can't say I've honestly ever met someone worth knowing in real life like that. It's just something that happens with each new generation. Probably going to start seeing it happen to zoomers in the next 5-10 years when the alphas (or whatever they're called) become the dominant high school/college age group.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I wasn't aware that gen Z didn't like millennials and really couldn't care less.

Lumping people together by generation is so meaningless and arbitrary, like a person born in 1980 would be a different generation from their older sibling born in 1975 but part of the same generation as their niece/nephew born in 1995.
It depends on who you ask, different firms have different years but pretty much all agree on early 80s to mid-late 90s.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
lol like we give a fuck. We don't need the approval of people older & younger than us. We've dealt with much worse than cross-generational acceptance and will continue to do so going forward.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful that'll be anytime soon to any large degree, but that still isn't really relevant to what's actually being talked either way. The hate for Millennials isn't about power they do and/or will hold. It's largely something that was manufactured and marketed.

Like our hate of boomers is. All generational animosity is bull shit and aggrieved people find reasons to feel like it's valid. My point is that millennials are bound to become the new boomers. Gen X will still be the perpetual middle child. And in time, whatever some new future generation is will complain about whoever the up and coming generation is today.

About my previous point about power brokering, though, millennials are already the largest voting bloc by generation, with 2020 being the first generation that baby boomers had been surpassed as the largest generation since ~1992.

www.pewresearch.org

Millennials approach Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation in the electorate

As of November 2016, an estimated 62 million Millennials were voting-age U.S. citizens – moving closer in number to the 70 million Baby Boomers.

(this was from 2018 but the projection became true, I just can't find a 2021 article about it)

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Millennials and Zoomers are most likely to end up working together to undo all the shit boomers and wealthy Gen-Xers put everyone through. Millennials didn't just shorten everyone's lives by years by pretending a pandemic isn't happening (and also getting the vaccine first).

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Coronials are the truly fucked generation, those Alphas are going to be pissed hearing how "bad" millenials had it even though we got to have a really peaceful and economically provolged childhood. Gen Z doesn't know an America not at War, and the Alphas being born during COVID means they'll never get to know the before times.

Gen Alpha will likely never see many animals in person alive due to our environmental damage. They wont know a world without extreme weather, market instability, drought and pandemics. Whoever they decide to be most mad at I surely won't blame them.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm a millennial and I cringe at doggo/pupper and the Harry Potter/Star Wars/nostalgia obsession. However I will take that over the damage Boomers have done lol

(White) Gen X came of age in a decade/time when the US thought history had ended and they had figured things out via neoliberal capitalism. Their inaction can definitely be criticized.