• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Both storefronts have things that are good and bad about them. Neither is clearly better than the other as a storefront, they are just different.
Except Steam is like 10 times better than EGS.

That is horrible, and I'll join you in critiquing Steam on that all day. But given that you actively have to find the trash as a customer on Steam, I won't take that as a failing of Steam, as much as I will take it as its complicity.

Being complicit is a failing, especially if they're complicit by allowing that sort of content on their platform.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that every time someone says some variation of "I don't understand all the outrage", they've made zero attempts to actually understand. It's very tiring. No one ever comes up with any legitimate arguments, it's all strawmen like "it's just another launcher".

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I have to pay for the launcher then I will never understand the anger. I come for the games and if I have to have 3-4 installers on my pc then so be it.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Keep the stupid takes coming.

How hard is it to understand that Epic have been assholes to the customers? Taking games hostage, hving an inferior storefront that lacks lots of features (and when they announce them it gets delayed because of how uncompetent they are) are just scratching the surface for why people don't like epic.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hes 100% right on the money here. Before epic games store I used to hear all about how pc gaming was so great because there are so many different stores so theres a lot of competition that drives down game prices compared to consoles where the only digital store is the one installed one your system. Now apparently having multiple stores is bad and if its not on steam the game is trashed.
Are you dumb for real? EGS exclusivity means exclusive for that store. I'd link you a good picture comparing "monopoly" and "competition". There is a reason why only GMG and Humble Bundle has EGS games, and only 2K games afaik.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Hes 100% right on the money here. Before epic games store I used to hear all about how pc gaming was so great because there are so many different stores so theres a lot of competition that drives down game prices compared to consoles where the only digital store is the one installed one your system. Now apparently having multiple stores is bad and if its not on steam the game is trashed.
When a game is non-exclusive it releases on many different platforms that exist in a state of competition. For a consumer this is good -- they may choose to purchase that game based on a criteria that is most important to them, for the lowest price they'll buy on Fanatical or GMG, if they value DRM free they can buy on GOG, if they are worried about possibly refunding the game they can buy it on Steam or Origin, if they want to support the developer with a larger cut they can get it on itch or EGS. When Epic comes into the picture and makes the game exclusive all those options but one disappear. They've warped the market, prices go up and user functionality goes down because Epic doesn't have to worry about competing with other storefronts features. It's not the launcher that people have an issue with, it's the corporation's assault on consumer choice.

It's really tiresome to see people making comments about this without bothering to understand or substantively engage with the legitimate complaints about it are. It feels intellectually lazy or dishonest really.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm still confused as to why a game exclusive to a free game launcher is so much worse than a game exclusive to a $400 console.

I don't think people generally argue that it's worse than console exclusives deals for 3td party games? I certainly see nobody saying that here currently. Nobody here is saying that deals like Rise of the Tomb Raider were great but EGS deals are bad. This is also not the same as exclusive games funded by a store or console holder, which are generally understood to not exist if not for their funding whole cloth.

As to why it's considered bad - Imagine if a game did still come to your preferred console but because company C decided to drop money on it, you had to use different friends lists and several features that are normally universal in the games you play weren't included. Say, cloud saves. You now have to launch the game from a different place too, unless you manually add it to the normal place.

Effectively somebody has paid money to make your experience worse in a few ways and better in none.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that every time someone says some variation of "I don't understand all the outrage", they've made zero attempts to actually understand. It's very tiring. No one ever comes up with any legitimate arguments, it's all strawmen like "it's just another launcher".
era.gif
gf4ovIw.png

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dude's mostly right, at least in the broad strokes to which he's painting.

The reaction to the Ninja deal was mostly understanding, with people getting why he'd make a move for the sake of profit.

The reaction to ANY game signing an EGS deal is immediately toxic, to the point where it's verging on a forbidden subject for this board.

People are more willing to accept an individual making moves that are in their best interest, but don't seem to accept it when a game dev does the same thing.

Obviously, there's issues with EGS. But the bulk of criticism of Epic's platform is that it isn't Steam, and that it's unfair for Epic to pay for exclusivity rights.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
lol at "bootlickers"

I don't see how Rami is misrepresenting the other "side" when said side is using language like this

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
literally read the post above yours. EGS exclusivity means higher prices. And that's just a start/
See the thread run it's course with multiple people still ignoring the financial component of those deal for the consumer, even with existing example showing that reality.

"it's free"

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
If we can support developers looking for the best deals for themselves, we can also support consumers looking for the best deals for themselves. Which are never on EGS.

maybe it would help if "consumers" didn't yell at and harass the developers taking the deal

Just saying, a lot of bad shit is aimed at the people making games for ensuring their survival.

if you want to get mad, get mad at Ubisoft and TakeTwo, not small indie and studios trying to get enough money for the next project

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For a second i was wondering why the evil mayor of Chicago had to do with gaming

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some indie devs love to play anti-cap and anti-corporation on social media until Epic starts paying their friends.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's really not, though. Both storefronts have things that are good and bad about them. Neither is clearly better than the other as a storefront, they are just different.

This is absolutely and completely OBJECTIVELY false.... Like, you are just straight up lying right here. Lying and hoping that no one calls you on it. We could literally do a feature count and make this statement look dumb as hell in front of everyone.

Bold.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison he's using isn't really 1:1 given that Twitch is an exclusive platform, but his general point about the hypocrisy and senseless outrage is correct.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game releases on several storefronts and key sites, giving the customer choice = Steam is a monopoly and bad.

Game is blocked from Steam and releases only on EGS and whatever storefronts Epic makes a deal with, reducing customer choice = competition is good herp derp.

This is every fucking moron out there who starts their posts with 'i don't understand' and ends them with 'just another store front'.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a specific thing about EGS, but statements like:

"Why do [massive group of people with diverse opinions about things] not like X, but do like Y? That's hypocritical!"

... are very common lazy takes on issues. You will see this kind of sentiment from a lot of people on a lot of issues, and it very rarely contains merit because they're broad over-generalizations about groups of people.
I like this post a lot. A whole lot.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
The reaction to ANY game signing an EGS deal is immediately toxic, to the point where it's verging on a forbidden subject for this board.

People are more willing to accept an individual making moves that are in their best interest, but don't seem to accept it when a game dev does the same thing.
I'm not sure this is true. Most people are sympathetic with indie developers situation even if they're opposed to what Epic is trying to do with the PC market. I get it, releasing a game without certainty is scary and people are risk averse (although risk can be good sometimes) so they take the sure thing. That Ooblets guy is just getting called out for acting like a jerk not because he took the money.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not a great comparison. But the longer this goes on, the more I take the developers' side in the EGS/Steam battle.

The developer is going to do what is best to them. And yesterday, there were literally people calling the Ooblets developers "human trash" because they went to EGS. It's over the top and toxic.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
In what way is EGS better as a store? I'll wait.

Steam has a toxic loli pedophile community that they did nothing to curb for years until their hand was forced by EU regulations last year.

Steam had active money laundering schemes taking place on their platform they did nothing to curb until authorities got involved.

They did nothing because these were lucrative revenue streams.

It's easier to find games you're looking for on EGS because it's not filled with shovelware.

EGS has better regional pricing options.

EGS is curated, like Steam used to be when it was better.

Valve hasn't had to have a real marketing strategy in years because they've had a De Facto monopoly of the PC gaming industry. I see a lot of people make the claim that Steam codes being sold on other stores make no money for Steam, but that's not true. Sure, there's no money on the front end, but all that does is trap developers and consumers in their ecosystem. Those other storefronts could never challenge them because without Steam, they'd dry up. Plus, every single Steam code sold requires the consumer to activate it on steam. That means every one of those customers must also download the Steam App, which has the Steam Store... So, it's all advertisement for Steam, even when a competitor is used.

Also, it's not a good look to assume that everyone who doesn't hate the EGS is a shill or a fanboy. I still use Steam, and I only occasionally use EGS. But when I have used it it's been a pleasant experience.

This is the very first time anyone has really tried to directly compete with them on the PC. Sure, there's Origin and Uplay, but those are primarily 1st party vehicles for their respective publishers. GOG exists, but CDPR have never stood up and actively tried to compete because they don't have the revenue to try. They'd get crushed by Valve if they considered them a threat. Remember that Valve went so far as to make their own linux distro and tried to talk gamers into changing operating systems because Microsoft launched their own game store.

To close, the exclusivity deals don't hurt the end user at all. They aren't like console exclusives where the customer is required to buy all new hardware if they want to play the game. Depending on your region, EGS could even offer better pricing(or the option to play the game at all.)

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are we all seriously gonna ignore that the EGS deal with Ooblets is significantly less about an indie dev securing a future and significantly more about a developer intentionally starting a flame war and insulting people even if they have no ability to buy from EGS?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Ismail speaks in favor of EPIC? I'm shocked.
SHOCKED!

Well, not that shocked.

I really, REALLY don't, and that's for plenty of other reasons that go beyond his reliable history as a very dedicated EGS shill, so I can't really say I feel conflicted about this.

Of all the times I've listened him talk, I must have agreed with the guy once so far.
You know... Even a broken clock is right twice a day etc, etc.

Because he's only right when he agrees with you of course

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
This isn't a specific thing about EGS, but statements like:

"Why do [massive group of people with diverse opinions about things] not like X, but do like Y? That's hypocritical!"

... are very common lazy takes on issues. You will see this kind of sentiment from a lot of people on a lot of issues, and it very rarely contains merit because they're broad over-generalizations about groups of people.
Agreed

ShadowFlare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just want to put it out there that there are marketing companies that specializes in promoting one product and critiquing their competitors on various forms of social media, including popular message boards. They generally are forbidden to say anything negative about their client's product, and at worst, will only state how it's "different" then their competitors. I know people that work in this industry and it's becoming pretty lucrative since you don't need permanent employees and can contract most of the work out.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
One of the few people I have muted on Twitter
Because some people I follow always like or retweet those stupid hot takes

I don't know much about Mixer and don't care for Ninja, does Mixer increase cost to the consumer compared to Twitch, is the service worst on most front ?
Well a Twitch sub is $4.99
A Mixer sub is $5.99
^^

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Good to see some backlash against this dude finally.

He floods the game dev community airwaves because of his outreach via Twitter etc, and because of that being an echo chamber other experienced people who state a differing view to his are usually derided or not given time. It's like his opinion is taken like gospel on many occasions.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure this is true. Most people are sympathetic with indie developers situation even if they're opposed to what Epic is trying to do with the PC market. I get it, releasing a game without certainty is scary and people are risk averse (although risk can be good sometimes) so they take the sure thing. That Ooblets guy is just getting called out for acting like a jerk not because he took the money.
All of this is inherently anecdotal, but I feel like the baseline reaction of absolutely any game announcing EGS exclusivity is "Guess I'm waiting until it's on Steam." That doesn't exactly scream sympathy to me. It's fine to wait and play it on your preferred launcher. But the immediacy with which people declare their boycott makes it seem 100% predetermined, and completely separated from the choices made by the dev in regards to financial stability.

Again, this is just how I've been reading it.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Back when Steam Greenlight was a thing, you had numerous devs complaining on how they couldn't get in because of the complex process you had to go through to get in the store...and not devs who do asset flips and whatnot. Valve doing away with that opened the door for even more games from devs you wouldn't have seen on the store 5 or so years ago.

I do agree with Steam having a few bad eggs on their store but again, you have to actually search for them in order to view them. There's also the report button on every page whether you deem the game is offensive or malicious in anyway. Nobody says Steam is perfect but most agree it is the best storefront if you're looking for PC games.

Yes the game I am refering to specifically has been reported in the thousands but they arent removing it. Which is the whole issue I was talking about. The gamewasnt hidden from the start, not sure if it was Valve or the devs who hid it in the end but the problem is that Valve did not act on the issue.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
To close, the exclusivity deals don't hurt the end user at all. They aren't like console exclusives where the customer is required to buy all new hardware if they want to play the game. Depending on your region, EGS could even offer better pricing(or the option to play the game at all.)

Uh, it's actually the exact opposite. EGS results higher game prices and locks out certain currencies from purchases.

Yes the game I am refering to specifically has been reported in the thousands but they arent removing it. Which is the whole issue I was talking about. The gamewasnt hidden from the start, not sure if it was Valve or the devs who hid it in the end but the problem is that Valve did not act on the issue.

What game?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's not the first time this guy says something dumb on twitter, he does this all the time.
don't even know why he gets so much attention or why he feels the need to give his bad takes on every hot topic discussion. that comparison he makes in the OP is so bad i don't even how to respond to that. it's such an obvious apple and oranges comparison. at this point he's just a professional corporate apologist.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Unless I have to pay for the launcher then I will never understand the anger. I come for the games and if I have to have 3-4 installers on my pc then so be it.
I think this is where some people get confused why a lot of people are against EGS. If EGS was just another store like Origin, uPlay, GoG etc. that sold 1st party games exclusively as well as non-exclusive 3rd party games no one would have an issue. The thing is EGS isn't in a vacuum, it's owned by Epic who are doing everything they can to force people into their ecosystem by buying exclusive rights to 3rd party games.

What you have to understand about a lot (not all but most of the ones I know being heavily into the Linux and FOSS community) of PC gamers is that we're PC gamers because we like the inherent open nature of the PC platform, it's why I switched from consoles many years ago and it's one of the major reasons why most people I know play on PC. The platform and the culture it has cultivated over the past several decades is directly opposed to walled gardens, the concept is anathema to the open nature of the platform. Any time it's been tried before (like GFWL) the PC community has done all it can to slap it down, which in large part is what is happening now. It's certainly why I'm boycotting Epic and the EGS, because I think it's bad for the PC platform and has the potential to do harm to a hobby that I love and am heavily invested in, both financially and emotionally.

There are other reasons I dislike EGS but none of them are to the point where I would be upset at the platform existing if not for that one major reason.

None of this means you individually have to care about that, I'm not trying to force others to care about the same things I do but at least understanding WHY a lot of the people that are up in arms are that way shouldn't be that difficult.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
All of this is inherently anecdotal, but I feel like the baseline reaction of absolutely any game announcing EGS exclusivity is "Guess I'm waiting until it's on Steam." That doesn't exactly scream sympathy to me. It's fine to wait and play it on your preferred launcher. But the immediacy with which people declare their boycott makes it seem 100% predetermined, and completely separated from the choices made by the dev in regards to financial stability.

Again, this is just how I've been reading it.
I've viewed this as people voicing their displeasure with Epic rather than an attack on the developer accepting an exclusivity deal. It makes sense if they view Epic as the bad actor in the transaction.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Steam has a toxic loli pedophile community that they did nothing to curb for years until their hand was forced by EU regulations last year.

Steam had active money laundering schemes taking place on their platform they did nothing to curb until authorities got involved.

It's easier to find games you're looking for on EGS because it's not filled with shovelware.

Valve hasn't had to have a real marketing strategy in years because they've had a De Facto monopoly of the PC gaming industry. I see a lot of people make the claim that Steam codes being sold on other stores make no money for Steam, but that's not true. Sure, there's no money on the front end, but all that does is trap developers and consumers in their ecosystem. Those other storefronts could never challenge them because without Steam, they'd dry up. Plus, every single Steam code sold requires the consumer to activate it on steam. That means every one of those customers must also download the Steam App, which has the Steam Store... So, it's all advertisement for Steam, even when a competitor is used.

Also, it's not a good look to assume that everyone who doesn't hate the EGS is a shill or a fanboy. I still use Steam, and I only occasionally use EGS. But when I have used it it's been a pleasant experience.

This is the very first time anyone has really tried to directly compete with them on the PC. Sure, there's Origin and Uplay, but those are primarily 1st party vehicles for their respective publishers. GOG exists, but CDPR have never stood up and actively tried to compete because they don't have the revenue to try. They'd get crushed by Valve if they considered them a threat. Remember that Valve went so far as to make their own linux distro and tried to talk gamers into changing operating systems because Microsoft launched their own game store.

This is good.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not gonna fault anyone for taking a fat stack of cash in this economy, but don't try and sugar coat by saying you're fostering competition.

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Keep the stupid takes coming.

How hard is it to understand that Epic have been assholes to the customers? Taking games hostage, hving an inferior storefront that lacks lots of features (and when they announce them it gets delayed because of how uncompetent they are) are just scratching the surface for why people don't like epic.

Very hard when you are trying to court Epic into buying your next game, these other indies defending Epic's practices are being disingenuous.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be perfectly fine with EGS if they didn't end up buying (permanent) exclusivity.

I'm not against them out of some general principle, I did end up getting Control for 40₺ from them in their infamous huge sale, which is probably close to being 10% of what I'd pay for any other high-profile game on the market. That said, since apparently EGS struck a deal with the local distributors here as well, a lot of other AAA games are at their usual obscene prices (350+₺). If EGS pursued far better regional pricing in my country and stopped using a payment processor that takes a cut for the sale, I'd gladly do business with them.

Uplay, Origin and GOG generally serve to fill a particular purpose (first party games, or old games restored to function on new systems). EGS can't figure out what it wants to be, because people won't want to participate in an ecosystem they feel they've been forced into by Epic's moneyhatting and that's precisely what happens when you try to form your brand around exclusives for your launcher that have been advertised on other platforms only to be delisted.

Steam generally does quite well at being a general purpose storefront for PC games so I don't really know how one could come up with a viable competitor that can differentiate itself.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is a worse take than anything Rami Ismail has ever posted.
I don't know why people prefers to pay up for multiple consoles instead of just paying for one and having all the games on one place.
Because every console manufacturer that has had a stranglehold on the market has tried to fuck everyone else over? Monopolies are bad. Competition breeds innovation in this industry.
I don't think people generally argue that it's worse than console exclusives deals for 3td party games? I certainly see nobody saying that here currently. Nobody here is saying that deals like Rise of the Tomb Raider were great but EGS deals are bad. This is also not the same as exclusive games funded by a store or console holder, which are generally understood to not exist if not for their funding whole cloth.

As to why it's considered bad - Imagine if a game did still come to your preferred console but because company C decided to drop money on it, you had to use different friends lists and several features that are normally universal in the games you play weren't included. Say, cloud saves. You now have to launch the game from a different place too, unless you manually add it to the normal place.

Effectively somebody has paid money to make your experience worse in a few ways and better in none.
Right, but the toxicity seen in this where it affects the players much less is way higher. Maybe it's because people lack empathy? I'm down with developers who are in an incredibly high risk line of work having more stability to bring me an experience I want in exchange for opening a different game launcher.
Are we all seriously gonna ignore that the EGS deal with Ooblets is significantly less about an indie dev securing a future and significantly more about a developer intentionally starting a flame war and insulting people even if they have no ability to buy from EGS?
Anyone offended by that blog post is the problem.

Jun 26, 2018
I don't think this thread is helping anyone, and I don't think we should keep making threads out of tweets that aren't specifically newsworthy. This is basically a reaction thread. Sorry.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It hurts my ability to use the store and game client of my preference. For some people they just want to have their digital library in one place, for others Steam offers many improvements to EGS that affects their enjoyment or usability of the games they play. The fact you thing that is an irrelevant thing or just a minimal inconvenience, it doesn't matter at all, is a thing it hinders people experience on gaming in a PC.

So yeah, exclusivity affects the consumer.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

You have some interesting points but you'll need sources for some (money laundering, for example).

That said, you have pretty shitty ones too that need explaining. What are the "better regional pricing options"? Last time I checked, it went one way or the other, some games not being sold at all in certain regions, some being at risible prices or high depending of where it's sold.

Why being curated to the point of not allowing anything if it's sold on Steam a good thing? How about the thousands of Indie game that managed to be sold on Steam that deserved it that won't ever go in the EGS because Epic don't care? Why do you care if X shitty game is sold on Steam if it allows games like Undertale or Hollow Knight to exist? Most of the bad games on Steam won't appear on the homepage past their release day, only the top will rise in the charts and stay visible.

For the "De Facto monopoly", it's usually what happens when you're the first and don't have any competition for a long time. It's normal for a Steam key to be activated on Steam. Uplay keys are activated on Uplay, Origin keys on Origin. The difference is, Steam allows for a developper to sold Steam keys. The number of EGS games that can be bought elsewhere than EGS is low, at best. It allows them to have monopoly on the price, which is an anti-consumer practice. It hurts the end user as they don't have a choice on where they buy the product and in what range of price. If you're in a region where the pricing is high, you get fucked.

It's not about being a shill or a fanboy, but right now, the main arguments FOR the EGS is "you're just a Steam fan" or "it's just another launcher", which is clearly not the case. There are a shit ton of trouble behind EGS, which is why people are so vocal about it. Is it a reason to become toxic? No, of course. But as long as each side decide to be an ass and not take into account what the other have to say, it won't go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.