• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that he's laying the same kind of traps he likely would have had to disarm or avoid back in 'Nam.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
Reading uproxx's review makes it sound like every 80's action movie written and directed by a coke head right winger(which is all of them) was then thrown in a blender and then mutated with gamma radiation and this movie is the result. There's a lot of spoilers in the Uproxx review, so but it's an absolutely glowing review from the Filmdrunk.

He describes a scene in which Rambo
rips out a man's collarbone with his bare hands.

This post is dedicated to the brave men and women of the Mujahideen.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of reviews coming out, sounds pretty great if you liked the last one. Going tomorrow, really excited.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Reading uproxx's review makes it sound like every 80's action movie written and directed by a coke head right winger(which is all of them) was then thrown in a blender and then mutated with gamma radiation and this movie is the result. There's a lot of spoilers in the Uproxx review, so but it's an absolutely glowing review from the Filmdrunk.

He describes a scene in which Rambo
rips out a man's collarbone with his bare hands.

This post is dedicated to the brave men and women of the Mujahideen.
Yeah, that's why i am probably not going to see it. Don't really want to support some right wing propoganda at this time.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Its beautiful

If you loved the franchise you should enjoy the film. It starts slower than the previous movies movies but oh boy woweeee.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it, didn't like it at all really.

The Good:
+ Loved the idea of a smaller scale, western-style movie. That aesthetic/slower pace is good.
+ Stallone is as grizzled as ever
+ There's a genuinely surprising moment that caught me off guard
+ Some good kills in act three

The Bad:
- The new characters aren't great. The young girl Rambo protects is just a generic damsel in distress and I didn't care at all. Paz Vega barely feels like a character - feels like she was added in reshoots lmao
- The villains are rubbish.
- First hour of the movie feels like a generic STV thriller with decent production values.
- Pacing is really wonky, feels too rushed for the most part.
- Editing and direction are really sloppy.
- Final battle has nothing on Rambo 4. Too much bad CGI, low lighting and choppy editing making it hard to savour the violence.
- Didn't care for the ending
this doesn't feel like Last Blood at all
- Checked my watch when it ended - film is 79 minutes long without credits. Too breezy for its own good, never lets scenes breathe.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how bad this is. Rambo gets my ass in the seat every time. Critics shit all over Rambo 4 and I had a blast with that one.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it, didn't like it at all really.

The Good:
+ Loved the idea of a smaller scale, western-style movie. That aesthetic/slower pace is good.
+ Stallone is as grizzled as ever
+ There's a genuinely surprising moment that caught me off guard
+ Some good kills in act three

The Bad:
- The new characters aren't great. The young girl Rambo protects is just a generic damsel in distress and I didn't care at all. Paz Vega barely feels like a character - feels like she was added in reshoots lmao
- The villains are rubbish.
- First hour of the movie feels like a generic STV thriller with decent production values.
- Pacing is really wonky, feels too rushed for the most part.
- Editing and direction are really sloppy.
- Final battle has nothing on Rambo 4. Too much bad CGI, low lighting and choppy editing making it hard to savour the violence.
- Didn't care for the ending
this doesn't feel like Last Blood at all
- Checked my watch when it ended - film is 79 minutes long without credits. Too breezy for its own good, never lets scenes breathe.
So you are a fan of 4, correct?

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Rambo 4 was fantastic. This I'm more uncertain about, although it's certain Rambo about to stab people in the face for a good hour.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Enjoyed Rambo 4. It had some emotional weight, it earned it's chaos. This one was like a direct to video Rambo knockoff, except it was actually Rambo. The acting is....not great, the dialogue is overwrought and desperate to sound more emotional and profound than it actually is, it's quite cheesy and not delivered all that well. Sometimes Stallone nails it in the delivery, other times he just comes off bored or distracted. Everyone outside the safety of Rambo's ranch is a cartoonishly evil scumbag just looking for an innocent, naive girl to sell into sex slavery. Then it becomes 18 rated Home Alone - by far the best thing about the movie - for the last 20 minutes, which is fine and all, but I didn't really give a shit about the previous 70 minutes, so the carnage didn't really have that catharsis. It had little impact and ended up almost laughable at times with how hard they were trying to be brutally shocking.

Maybe the John Wick movies have spoiled me recently, but this was a near complete disappointment for me. It should've ended with 4, that was a great send off. 20 minutes of gory carnage that can't touch the slick action of John Wick just isn't enough.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this wouldn't be great when some random DTV guy was announced as director instead of Stallone himself

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
So worse than 4? Man it was such a cathartic experience. Sad Stallone can't direct this himself.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Enjoyed Rambo 4. It had some emotional weight, it earned it's chaos. This one was like a direct to video Rambo knockoff, except it was actually Rambo. The acting is....not great, the dialogue is overwrought and desperate to sound more emotional and profound than it actually is, it's quite cheesy and not delivered all that well. Sometimes Stallone nails it in the delivery, other times he just comes off bored or distracted. Everyone outside the safety of Rambo's ranch is a cartoonishly evil scumbag just looking for an innocent, naive girl to sell into sex slavery. Then it becomes 18 rated Home Alone - by far the best thing about the movie - for the last 20 minutes, which is fine and all, but I didn't really give a shit about the previous 70 minutes, so the carnage didn't really have that catharsis. It had little impact and ended up almost laughable at times with how hard they were trying to be brutally shocking.

Maybe the John Wick movies have spoiled me recently, but this was a near complete disappointment for me. It should've ended with 4, that was a great send off. 20 minutes of gory carnage that can't touch the slick action of John Wick just isn't enough.

Echoes my sentiments pretty well. Felt like 60 minutes of generic VOD movie with an R-rated Home Alone/Skyfall-style ending.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Echoes my sentiments pretty well. Felt like 60 minutes of generic VOD movie with an R-rated Home Alone/Skyfall-style ending.
I was really surprised at the lack of quality in acting and writing. It's hard for me to put into words....none of the dialogue sounded natural or real, it was like a bad soap opera at times.
The way the scumbag Dad of Gabrielle just flipped a switch from normal person to asshole who hated her for existing was just laughably bad. Like a Jerry Springer guest the audience is supposed to boo.

Rambo 4 felt like a Rambo movie, this just feels like a generic actioner they slapped the Rambo name onto. If you showed this movie and took out the Rambo name drops, I don't think people would watch it and say "That's a Rambo flick", whereas with 4, it's unmistakable.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So like is this movie any good when I don't expect it to top the previous ones? I've only seen one trailer once and to me 4 was the end of the Rambo series and I always felt like this movie was going to distance itself from the other four installments. I don't expect much more than an encore that's more grounded than the previous movie so to speak and I would be fine with that.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I hated it. But parts were enjoyable. Loved Rambo 4.

I was bored for the first 25%, then I think it built tension really well. Theeen, release tension to a wet fart, get me excited again, underwhelming finale...credits!

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
It was ok, but not as good as the previous movies. Real slow start to set things off and the 3rd act was Rambo getting down to bussiness with no resistance. I was expecting more of a fight but didn't get it.

If Stallone really wanted to put John Rambo to rest I would rather that he had
Let him slump over in his rocking chair, dying from his wounds, and finally giving him the peace that he had been longing for all those years. Everyone he knew and everyone he loved are gone, so give him his goddamn peace!
Let the shot pan out like it did and play "It's a long road" from First Blood to come full circle.

That would probably had me shed a tear

Instead the showed slowmotion shots from the previous movies and ended it with him riding off on his horse, wounds and all.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it last night. I didn't have any expectations good or bad as it's been 20 odd years since I saw a Rambo film.

It was hands-down one of the worst action films I've ever seen. If you'd told me it was made for TV, I'd believe it.It was basically half taken half home alone total shit. Not even the gore was good.

And so mundane, holy shit. It just went nowhere. Didn't push anything, it wasn't even so ridiculous you could have fun with it like John McClane on the wings of a fighter jet, which I used to think was awful but seeing the other side of the coin made me yearn for that tier of sequel.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Saw this earlier tonight. It was... meh. On the whole the film is a bit of a downer. There's twenty minutes of good, violent action towards the end of the film but there isn't enough throughout the film and it takes its time to get there. This wouldn't matter so much if there were a lot of good character moments like in "First Blood", but there aren't. The characters are generally undercooked and it feels like there might have been a fair bit of character development left on the cutting room floor (or in the script and never filmed). Without a solid base of well written characters, the movie just doesn't have the emotional impact that it seems to be going for in place of action. An issue compounded by unintentionally funny moments.

Like others have said, "Rambo", the fourth film, felt like a Rambo film. This one doesn't; it tries to be the "Rocky Balboa" of the series but ends up being the "Rocky V": it tries to do something a bit different but isn't really successful.

What's the story with Stallone not directing? He did a really good job with the last film, while the director of this one seems to have been a career 1st AD with little experience at helming his own movies.

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Saw this earlier tonight. It was... meh. On the whole the film is a bit of a downer. There's twenty minutes of good, violent action towards the end of the film but there isn't enough throughout the film and it takes its time to get there. This wouldn't matter so much if there were a lot of good character moments like in "First Blood", but there aren't. The characters are generally undercooked and it feels like there might have been a fair bit of character development left on the cutting room floor (or in the script and never filmed). Without a solid base of well written characters, the movie just doesn't have the emotional impact that it seems to be going for in place of action. An issue compounded by unintentionally funny moments.

Like others have said, "Rambo", the fourth film, felt like a Rambo film. This one doesn't; it tries to be the "Rocky Balboa" of the series but ends up being the "Rocky V": it tries to do something a bit different but isn't really successful.

What's the story with Stallone not directing? He did a really good job with the last film, while the director of this one seems to have been a career 1st AD with little experience at helming his own movies.
I feel like he lost control and interest. When nothing else seemed workable, he just passed it on to make a payday.

One of the reviewers mentioned, you have the first film with a genuinely great character. The rest have been bullet hell, for better or worse.