• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Don't skimp on suhoor, gotta make it count. If you do suhoor right, you'll breeze thru the day.

Few suggestions:
  • Bagels with peanut butter
  • Oatmeal with nuts (unsalted) and fruits
  • Boiled eggs
  • Cheese (Mozzarella or even better - Burrata, which is Mozzarella with a cream/curd center is amazing for the meal)
  • Bananas
  • Yogurt or milk
  • Something sweet (I like cookies)
  • Fruit smoothies with protein if u really want something fast
My biggest problem is falling back asleep, since my body is in GO mode once I eat food. I've downloaded some of the most boring podcasts imaginable to see if those will help.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hunger is there but the headaches from the lack of caffeine...ugh. That's the worst.

I took a half an hour nap and I feel much better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so can someone explain this? I'm a bit confused. I have a good friend who lives in Pakistan and he says Ramadan doesn't begin until the 7th, but it's already begun here in the US and a bunch of other countries. How is that possible? If it's an Islamic month shouldn't it be at the same time everywhere? I saw that it had something to do with a crescent moon sighting and he also said something about time zones? Just having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
At any given point in time there are a bunch of different timezones on Earth. Pakistan is ahead of US by roughly 11 hours. By the time the first moon was sighted in US during dusk time, Pakistan was already well into the next day. So it makes sense for them to start a day later. You will never hear about Pakistan/India starting ramadan earlier than US/Canada because of the way Earth rotates and how the moon travels around the earth.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
i always need a 'ramadan' game. there's something about playing games until late at night and just keep on going till sahur, then sleep the whole morning lol. i might revisit FFXII this year.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
i always need a 'ramadan' game. there's something about playing games until late at night and just keep on going till sahur, then sleep the whole morning lol. i might revisit FFXII this year.

Doom is my game right now, that got me through most of the day today. Next I might go back to Bloodborne and finally beat it, playing that game during Ramadan will be fun lol.

crotchett

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
To all my fellow professionals, don't forget a small bottle of toothpaste and an extra brush at work will help with the awful mouth-feeling after 2 P.M (due to no water). I always end up brushing my teeth 2 or 3 times before breaking my fast.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At any given point in time there are a bunch of different timezones on Earth. Pakistan is ahead of US by roughly 11 hours. By the time the first moon was sighted in US during dusk time, Pakistan was already well into the next day. So it makes sense for them to start a day later. You will never hear about Pakistan/India starting ramadan earlier than US/Canada because of the way Earth rotates and how the moon travels around the earth.
Ah, that makes sense. I was having a hard time grappling with the fact that Pakistan's time zone is ahead and yet they begin after the US.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
How's everyone reading the Quran?
I'm trying to read two chapters a day but it's actually hard to find the time between work and family and tarawih and iftar.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Good luck, guys. I'm terrible at recognizing fasting in my own religion even when it's just for a day, so props to y'all for doing it for a whole freaking month.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
First day was easier than expected (besides some minor food poisoning lol)

Our island was blessed with rain after what felt like months of drought and intense heat.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
To all my fellow professionals, don't forget a small bottle of toothpaste and an extra brush at work will help with the awful mouth-feeling after 2 P.M (due to no water). I always end up brushing my teeth 2 or 3 times before breaking my fast.
THIS.

Dont be stanky at work. I had the unfortunate encounter with a fellow faster at work and my dude smelled from about 4 feet away.

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... I thought brushing with toothpase during fasting wasn't allowed...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm trying to read two chapters a day but it's actually hard to find the time between work and family and tarawih and iftar.
Why not read some of it during prayer. I remember my mother would have the quran open next to her when she prays in the past.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I'm trying to read 1 chapter a day at work since it's a slow month.

Wait... I thought brushing with toothpase during fasting wasn't allowed...
It is allowed. Just try your best not to swallow and go easy on the... shaking water in your mouth (whatever it's called in English lol).

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Second day and i already missed suhoor.

Welp, gg
zfByE0G.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Weekend fasts are always so much more difficult than weekday fasts.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Almost at 50%, but not quite. How are folks doing so far?
I was off for 3 weeks just a week left and then I have to work. I'm already nervous to fast and work together especially after 3 weeks no work.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Going pretty good here. I'm still hitting the gym almost every day for a good 90 minutes. Started intermittent fasting a year ago so maybe that just got my body into a regular fasting state so cutting out water is the only difference.

Still so parched the hour right before iftar.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I didn't wake up for Suhur (I got up right at the fajr athaan) and now I feel really tired after iftar. The actual fast wasn't too bad, it's just that I feel way more tired than I normally would.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going pretty good here. I'm still hitting the gym almost every day for a good 90 minutes. Started intermittent fasting a year ago so maybe that just got my body into a regular fasting state so cutting out water is the only difference.

How do you manage 90 minutes? Is it right before iftar? I can't do my regular workouts if i tried i'd probably throw up if after iftar or passout if before, so i've reduced my workouts to training 1-2 muscle groups 3 sets each like 2-3 hours after iftar.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I"m not Muslim and don't do Ramadan, but my friend is and does, and every day I see her for the past week or two she's like constantly about to fall asleep on the spot. And she works with food so I can see her mind dying as it goes on.

Just posting this to say I have newfound respect for you all committing to something like this. Keep it up.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I need to figure out a routine to start working out again. 2 weeks into fasting and I feel like I have gained weight.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How do you manage 90 minutes? Is it right before iftar? I can't do my regular workouts if i tried i'd probably throw up if after iftar or passout if before, so i've reduced my workouts to training 1-2 muscle groups 3 sets each like 2-3 hours after iftar.
It's in the middle of the day actually. I still do the same workouts (bench press, curls, flys, legs, etc). Like I said it might be because I've gotten used to not eating until 3-4 PM anyway through intermittent fasting over the past year. I'd drink water of course, so that's the only difference now in Ramadan. I definitely feel like I have less energy but I just push through it I guess.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't wake up for Suhur (I got up right at the fajr athaan) and now I feel really tired after iftar. The actual fast wasn't too bad, it's just that I feel way more tired than I normally would.
I've noticed that the fast is actually not as bad if I don't eat anything for ceri, but now that you mention it, I wonder if that leads to fatigue after Iftar. Hm.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Almost at 50%, but not quite. How are folks doing so far?
I was off for 3 weeks just a week left and then I have to work. I'm already nervous to fast and work together especially after 3 weeks no work.
Going good so far and I think my body has accepted the routine. I feel like I'm fine at work between 8 am and 2pm. Around 2:30 to 3pm, that's when the horrible fatigue sets in where I just want to curl up and go to sleep. Without coffee, it's an uphill battle all the way to maghrib but 2-4pm is my dead zone.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I used to be in the same position. This year I don't stuff myself at Iftar and only eat a very small portion and hydrate, wait about 1.5-2 hours, down a protein shake then do the workout, then eat a good sized meal after. Definitely just trying to maintain musclewise. I havent ever gained during Ramadan. Mostly cardio though.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man I cant wait for winter ramadans again. The hunger doesn't bother me, its just that my mind just won't stop thinking of food toward the end lol

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Is that safe? I'd assume that you'd get quite dehydrated if you're working out that far from iftar.

I remember I was working out at home right before iftar a few years ago and my body just gave up on me lol. Had to crawl to the dining room to break fast haha.