• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
This seems absurd but I wouldn't mind if it did. I'd love to see gaming get to that status.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The more ways I model/compare this in my head, the more fucking moronic those long-term estimates sound.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Ps4 did super well against weak competition.

Market's bigger than ever. Look at Switch, it has sold what, 60 million in 3 years? There's no way PS5 will sell less than PS4. I can see PS5 selling 125m LTD if the generation is 7 years as this last one was.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, PS5 will totally sell 2-3 times more than PS4, Switch and Xbox One combined. Seems totally reasonable

/s

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
"So how many people bought the PS5?"

Sony:

tenor.gif

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
hahaha no.

sure i can end up selling better then the ps4 but its not selling 400m and i do not see it replacing pcs for esports

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I mean could they even make 700M of them within a reasonable amount of time ? lol. Switch sells out as fast as they make em currently and it just seems hard to make that many of anything that has expensive or more complex components (not saying other companies don't do that but Sony's own personal capabilities). Aside from that, PS5 is still a videogame console unlike the PS2 which was also a cheap dvd player for most people. If the PS5 was able to boot up windows or some shit and you could use it as a pc then maybe I could see it replacing a computer, but it doesn't do anything but play games from what I know so yeah lmfao. This is just some wild shit.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Uh...No. 100-150 million...sure thats possible with a highly successful run. 200 million... highly optimistic, but possible. 300m to 700m?? These are fuckin' cartoon numbers. These things are not replacing PC's for the reason being that the level of entry into PC gaming is so much lower than any current generation console.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
So now all they need is 20-25% of China population to pickup the console to hit those numbers. Seems easy enough

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Sony definitely wouldn't complain if that happened but that's probably going far beyond even the wildest internal projections have for the PS5

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nuh-uh!

It will be at least TREE(3) units. Easy! TREE(4) not out of reach.

PS6 to reach Rayo's Number.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, maybe the Virtual PS5 future version. But 300 million for a PS5....muhahaha.

Not even the most hardcore Fanboy with agree with that.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 didn't even get close to these numbers, and it launched against the Kinectified Xbox One and the Wii fucking U.

No doubt that the PS5 will do well. Extremely well. But predicting 200 million (let alone 700 million) is just dumb.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It depends actually. I think next-gen, we're gonna see different style of games with focus in e-sports. More stuff like Rocket League you know? M+KB are only better in FPS and MOBA's, but for other genres, like sports, a controller would be better. The biggest factor imo is that both consoles can do 120hz. Add this to the fact that they're cheaper than a proper PC that can do this and you have more events using consoles and not PC's. But that's just my guess.

Think about how many of the top esports games are FPS and MOBA's though. You're not getting those people to switch to a controller.

As for sports, Games like Rocket League do great, but other sports games? They sell a ton and yet they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the esports scene. People don't really care about traditional sports when compared to other genres in esports.

Which makes sense. You can check out basketball in real life. You're not getting Rocket League in real life any time soon.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not bet my horse on that, this is a different Microsoft to the one Sony trolled in 2013. This time the Head of Xbox is on MS board and has the CEO's ear. Bethesda purchase shows the seriousness of the intention.

Nah, even with a year head start, better exclusives and more 3rd party support Sony still sold more during the PS3 era than Xbox.

Even if MS had debuted a Halo Infinite that exceeded expectations and was available at launch as a complete experience i'd still place money on Sony to take the lead.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Good luck hitting a number that's twice the US population.

And the price is still a major hurdle in less developed countries.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Laughable. Will wind up below the PS4. Sony will assuredly "win" this gen, but Xbox and Switch will make it much more competitive.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's uh... a hyperbolic take if I've ever seen one. I do fully expect the PS5 to outsell the PS4.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Those numbers to crazy lol
But i need to know one thing is this the MH guy because if so i give it a extra 0.1% if it's him .

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Lol after the Spider-Cat news every analyst bumping up their projections.

We should keep tabs on this guy to enjoy his brand of out of your goddamn mind predictions.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Feel like eSports are heavily PC based? Like all shooters, RTS and MOBA are played on PC.
PS4 was the standard for fighting games this gen. Gen before was 360.
Feel like that has been far from decided at this point which console becomes standard for next gen. Could be PS5 if they secure Street Fighter exclusivity again but that is unlikely.

Also fighting games are a long way off of having tournaments again

Obviously that prediction is a joke, they likely couldn't even produce that many if they wanted to.