• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
The ps5 being more of a bomb than the wiiU is more like than it selling 700 million units. That´s how ridiculous that number is.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well... probably not that much but it'll be the industry leader again i'm sure.

Nov 28, 2017
Sounds eerily like the "1 BILLION XBOX 360's!" by MSFT in 2005.

100M - 130M LTD, if they don't fuck up this gen and don't let Jim Ryan be too much at the top.

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
I predict 800 million sales for the PS5 and 3 billion sales for the Series X. And 200k units for the future Switch pro because Nintendo is doomed.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
In my estimations the PS5 will sell something between 1 and 5.000.000.000.000 units.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
These numbers are... insane. Not the "good," "cool" insane. The "utterly divorced from reality" insane.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So Sony says it's producing 15 million units by March 2021, which is a frontloaded number because they'll have been producing for months prior to launch. But let's say 15 million units for 2 quarters. At an even 15 million units per 2 quarters, or 7.5 million a quarter, you'd have to sell out for ~27 quarters straight or almost 7 years. For 300 million, 10 years.

I guess they'll speed up production quite a bit over the years, which makes it physically possible to sell 200 million units in 5-6 years. But...

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
What? Lol anything over 100 million would be a succes for any manufacturer, no way anyone goes over 120 let alone 200

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I need that old PS3/Wii chart where the PS3 started selling 20 million a year and Wii started selling negative units.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, all eSports players will move to play League of Legends, Fortnite, Dota 2, Rainbow Six, and CS GO on controllers. Where the real competition and money is at!

This is "I'm going to make as crazy of a guess as possible just so people know my name" levels.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
So Sony says it's producing 15 million units by March 2021, which is a frontloaded number because they'll have been producing for months prior to launch. But let's say 15 million units for 2 quarters. At an even 15 million units per 2 quarters, or 7.5 million a quarter, you'd have to sell out for ~27 quarters straight or almost 7 years. For 300 million, 10 years.

I guess they'll speed up production quite a bit over the years, which makes it physically possible to sell 200 million units in 5-6 years. But...
the analyst's prediction in the article is actually 700m

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The only one I trust for big number predictions is the Monster Hunter guy.

I want to know what he thinks!

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I feel like this guy just started doing Coke like the Wall Street guys

tandeh

Mar 21, 2020
Well... probably not that much but it'll be the industry leader again i'm sure.

I would not bet my horse on that, this is a different Microsoft to the one Sony trolled in 2013. This time the Head of Xbox is on MS board and has the CEO's ear. Bethesda purchase shows the seriousness of the intention. I would love this dudes job, I could make stuff like that up in seconds. The real question should be what the dude was smoking?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Shit the number is so ridiculous I didn't even think of the fact that it would be impossible to even manufacture half that many units.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
PS5 can only become the eSports standard if it adds proper mouse and keyboard support
It depends actually. I think next-gen, we're gonna see different style of games with focus in e-sports. More stuff like Rocket League you know? M+KB are only better in FPS and MOBA's, but for other genres, like sports, a controller would be better. The biggest factor imo is that both consoles can do 120hz. Add this to the fact that they're cheaper than a proper PC that can do this and you have more events using consoles and not PC's. But that's just my guess.

Jun 7, 2020
If e-Sports is just a bad translation of game streaming in general, and the analyst knows details about the streaming functionality of the console not yet revealed by Sony, then PS5 has a chance of selling extremely well compared to PS4. But those numbers seem very fanciful.

I think if either XSX or PS5 has enough streaming features to do away with capture cards—allowing custom overlays and data etc—then they could end up as a cheap "must have" for game streamers/influencers and those that watch what they play.

That is the only way any of this seems remotely sane. Sony didn't reveal much of what the renamed Create button does, but promised more videos on the UX before launch.

The UX itself seems designed to support PiP and 4K UI elements over the top of the game, so maybe there's something brewing? Maybe his change of numbers is in relation to learning more about the console. Maybe Sony too consult economic analysts to plan ahead, and they need data to work with.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out. It definitely seems crazy right now, though.