• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway else love the way Father moves, runs and do other physical stuff as an android?

Both Mother and Father do a great job acting-wise.

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Marcus swallowed Mother Necromance eye and was rolling around on the ground he seemed to be vomiting up a lot white Android fluid.

Looked to me to be a lot more liquid than what could have been in the eye itself....is the implication that Marcus is an android or that swallowing the eye is making him more android-like by starting to synthesize the white fluid?

The show made a point lingering on this so there has to be some point.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of thoughts after finishing the finale. The religious aspects of this show are super top notch. I bet there's a bunch to learn by reading more about Mithraism. I also appreciate the Romulus reference. Campion = Romulus and Paul = Remus? Something else entirely?

I'm on team Alien AI that was created by a once advanced civilization which eventually wiped them out through the creation of serpent necromancers or something like that. There's obviously some sort of relationship between Keppler and Earth. I assume the Mithraic originated on Keppler and before their civilization started to be wiped out they somehow relayed the blueprints to various technologies, including Necromancers to Earth, as it is referenced that they got that technology from their scriptures. The AI is possibly able to communicate to people in their heads (Sol to the Mithraic, Tally to Campion, the creator to Mother, etc.), and because of the same interference that doesn't allow mother and father to land in the tropical zone, there may be civilization of some kind on that side.

There are also clearly hints that all are connected given the petroglyphs in the cave, which clearly depicted the androids in their ship and the serpent. I'm sure the serpents created these tunnels as a means of travelling the planet. I also appreciated the Serpent picking up Mother's traits. Curious to see what that causes.

It would be great if the original civilization in fact sent people to earth to colonize there at their point of extinction, with the plan all along being to put in the scriptures blueprints to bring back their own civilization through whatever kind of fertilization took place/is still taking place now. But I could be wrong because it almost seemed like the cloaked being was trying to stop Mother from giving birth.

The temple is also an intriguing aspect. The unanswered questions are truly interesting in this show, as well as all the religious stuff.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of thoughts after finishing the finale. The religious aspects of this show are super top notch. I bet there's a bunch to learn by reading more about Mithraism. I also appreciate the Romulus reference. Campion = Romulus and Paul = Remus? Something else entirely?

I'm on team Alien AI that was created by a once advanced civilization which eventually wiped them out through the creation of serpent necromancers or something like that. There's obviously some sort of relationship between Keppler and Earth. I assume the Mithraic originated on Keppler and before their civilization started to be wiped out they somehow relayed the blueprints to various technologies, including Necromancers to Earth, as it is referenced that they got that technology from their scriptures. The AI is possibly able to communicate to people in their heads (Sol to the Mithraic, Tally to Campion, the creator to Mother, etc.), and because of the same interference that doesn't allow mother and father to land in the tropical zone, there may be civilization of some kind on that side.

There are also clearly hints that all are connected given the petroglyphs in the cave, which clearly depicted the androids in their ship and the serpent. I'm sure the serpents created these tunnels as a means of travelling the planet. I also appreciated the Serpent picking up Mother's traits. Curious to see what that causes.

It would be great if the original civilization in fact sent people to earth to colonize there at their point of extinction, with the plan all along being to put in the scriptures blueprints to bring back their own civilization through whatever kind of fertilization took place/is still taking place now. But I could be wrong because it almost seemed like the cloaked being was trying to stop Mother from giving birth.

The temple is also an intriguing aspect. The unanswered questions are truly interesting in this show, as well as all the religious stuff.

I like this theory

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
My agreement is with those that feel no one learned anything from Lost. You need to give us something, and not just keep throwing mysteries on top of mysteries. At least a hook for us to tag along. I know the creators said they know how it ends, but then the pacing should be structured: Introduce a sequence of minor to major mysteries, major mysteries will be covered over a period of seasons, but some of the minor mysteries should be answered inter-season, while covering a major part of a major mystery as the season finale.

Things don't work when you just keep stacking questions on top of questions.

I also loved how it started, aesthetics, cinematography, the weird acting from mother and father. But it started to lose it's way in the middle, as well as there was a lot of filler instead of actual plot development. And it started introducing a lot of major mysteries in the last two or so episodes without answering much.

Having said that, and since we are not tagging spoilers. I think the core lava pit is basically an AI compute cluster that is able to manipulate matter as well as the "voice of sol". This unit is omniscient either by analyzing (knowing Marcus and Sue were impostors, like Mother did) or by accessing the systems of the ships, or there's are time loop based shenanigans involved. I don't think time travel as such, rather time may be repeating.

Mother and Father sacrificed themselves, along with the snake child (heavy handed biblical symbolism) into the core. I think they were basically hoping to destroy the snake and themselves. The AI deconstructed and reconstructed them and send them out to the other side of the planet. Basically the planet itself is a computational matrix. This is a somewhat common/high tech trope in modern era hard concept sci fi. Don't think of it as a destructive core of intense energy, rather it's a highly complex AI that can manipulate matter at will.

The one humanoid that attacked mother and she killed it, did look like the engineer from Prometheus. But I really hope they don't link these two universes and in the future just start logically answering the questions rather than introducing mysteries that do not seem to make sense in this specific universe.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 1, holy shit I haven't been this blown away by a TV show in a long, long time. Love the crazy ideas this show presents, the world building is absolutely insane. I am 100% in, hope it gets renewed for a second season.

It felt like reading the book Dune, there are a whole bunch of ideas that I just can't quite wrap my head around and the show is tickling something primal.

WindsHowling

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Absolutely loved this show, Father easily my favorite. Has anyone mentioned yet his actor voiced Bayek in AC Origins?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I really dug this. I don't have anything super deep to add. I just liked it a whole lot.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I just finished it.

I really like the overall plot of the super religious zealots that destroy the planet, and the atheists that oppose them. And the tech with the androids and spaceships and etc. The first 2 or 3 episodes are really intriguing.. and then it all sort of goes to hell.

There are so many questions left completely unanswered by the end, and theres so many weird goddamn plot points. Why did Mother go berserk in the first few episodes and kill father? What was the deal with Tally? Why was Campion the only one to never get radiation poisoning from the food? How did Mother get freaky in the Matrix and have a snake baby? There are no explanations for these things, it just sort of happens for the sake of happening and being weird. I really just wanted to finish it to be over with it.

Father was the best part of the show hands down; he did a phenomenal job portraying an android mimicking a human to the best of his abilities.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
Ok well.....that went places huh? Lol. Yeah ill keep watching just for the balls the creators have. Love the shows music. Can't wait for more.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I just finished it.

I really like the overall plot of the super religious zealots that destroy the planet, and the atheists that oppose them. And the tech with the androids and spaceships and etc. The first 2 or 3 episodes are really intriguing.. and then it all sort of goes to hell.

There are so many questions left completely unanswered by the end, and theres so many weird goddamn plot points. Why did Mother go berserk in the first few episodes and kill father? What was the deal with Tally? Why was Campion the only one to never get radiation poisoning from the food? How did Mother get freaky in the Matrix and have a snake baby? There are no explanations for these things, it just sort of happens for the sake of happening and being weird. I really just wanted to finish it to be over with it.

Father was the best part of the show hands down; he did a phenomenal job portraying an android mimicking a human to the best of his abilities.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I feel like it made a comeback with the last episode because of how bonkers it was but basically the series got worse and worse after episode 1.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Looking forward to season 2 for more wtf

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it worth watching just the first couple of episodes and then bailing or sticking it through even if things aren't explained? I don't want to hear from people's sunk cost dilemma but I'm not a plot person, I'm more an aesthetics, character, thematic person. Just wondering if I'll find it satisfying on that basis to jump in.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I wish I had known that Raised by Wolves was every bit as bad as Prometheus and for practically the same reasons.

I want my ten hours back. In retrospect I should have watched the first two episodes, quit, and then just invented my own head canon.

What is the verdict on this show? Was thinking of binging this now when all episodes are out. Worth it?

It's Prometheus, again. Great cast, great music, interesting premise but it's all squandered because the writers want to invest you in looking for answers and instead they give you escalating nonsense.

I could deliver you a four-minute long list of unanswered questions and plot holes but it's really just easier to tell you to stay away.

But, wow that intro is lovely. We watched it every episode.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Is it worth watching just the first couple of episodes and then bailing or sticking it through even if things aren't explained? I don't want to hear from people's sunk cost dilemma but I'm not a plot person, I'm more an aesthetics, character, thematic person. Just wondering if I'll find it satisfying on that basis to jump in.

Id watch the first episode and stop. Its pretty self contained. The rest add mysteries (one major one per episode really) and as you can see with the back and forth people feel it was done unbelievably or sloppily (for me, I like it, weirder the better).

First episode is a neat little novella in itself.

The rest, nobody knows. It does get more and more batshit, 'Lost' ish even.

Oct 27, 2017
Well that ending was something. I'll for sure watch season two, but I really can't remember a finale that pissed me off with its direction more and made me audible say, what the hell was that.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was so interesting and intriguing in the beginning and then it starts to get really weird and wtf. That is all 😆

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Two episodes in. Loving the premise of the show. This is the kind of uninhibited weirdness I crave in my sci-fi.

Mother is a complete badass. Everything about her and Father is 100% my aesthetic.

If I have one critique so far, it's the heavy handed religion vs atheism theme, which echoes Ridley Scott's religious themes in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant. I find it so tedious when a story is all like "well actually, atheists are the dogmatic and closed-minded ones." This stuff hasn't reached an intolerable level yet, but it's hard to fully invest in a story that indulges in bothsidesism and appears to put stock in empty-headed religious scaremongering about how atheists would behave if they ran things.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mother's rigid No Religion Allowed thing is exactly how evangelicals believe nonreligious people raise their kids. "PRAYER IS STUPID AND POINTLESS, AND YOU CAN'T DO IT." Lmao, chill out already.

But this subject matter won't be a sore point for most of the audience, I'm sure. And depicting something isn't the same as endorsing it, so time will tell if this is even an issue.

I would absolutely recommend Raised by Wolves to anyone who was even a tiny bit intrigued by the trailer. It delivers cool stuff right away.
Just finished ep 1 and I felt this. When Mother was first explaining religion it sounded like something out of one of those God's Not Dead movies lmao. And on their ship, the Mithraic equivalent of a crucifix over EVERY doorway? lol come onnn

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished ep 1 and I felt this. When Mother was first explaining religion it sounded like something out of one of those God's Not Dead movies lmao. And on their ship, the Mithraic equivalent of a crucifix over EVERY doorway? lol come onnn
Lol yeah. These themes stay at the same unsophisticated level throughout the season, but at least the writers didn't make the whole atheist faction out to be the bad guys, I guess. The story might still be leaning in that direction since (mild overall spoilers) Mithraic dogma isn't exactly discredited at any point.

The series is still well worth watching. It's a cool story and I'm glad it's getting a much deserved second season.

But one day I wish we could have an Iain M. Banks style of story where some civilizations have just moved on from primitivism and it's not really a big deal, since everyone knows how the physical universe works. And that the societies that hold on to superstition tend to cause trouble for others, and are internally ravaged by conflict and injustice. It sucks that the Banks estate killed Amazon's adaptation of Consider Phlebas. So disappointing.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really enjoyed the first half of the series, but the second half just made me lose interest. Doubt I'll continue with this in the future.

Edit: I also wanted to punch Campion in the face, Father was the only decent character in the whole show

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show, like The Outsider, fell off so hard after the first few episodes. I'm up to episode 9 or so - should I bother finishing?

Jul 16, 2020
I liked it a lot and I never hated Campion. Plus the theme song is amazing. Excited for season 2, whenever that happens.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I have one episode left.

Overall, I'm feeling disappointed. Compared to the promise of the first few (esp the first two) episodes, a lot of the show has been treading water around the same characters and conflicts without saying much. Getting Westworld vibes.

Then there's stuff that doesn't make sense in the slightest. The rapist figured out a way to do a reverse transfusion, taking Mother's blood, and...her power?

Marcus's turn as a psycho evangelical has been incredibly boring. I thought he and Sue had some pretty interesting story behind their characters but again, it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Father remains the bright spot of the show and feels more human than have the characters.

More than anything else, the show just got small. I honestly wasn't expecting for them to spend so much time at the primitive homestead. The first few episodes built a wild world with hints of deeper lore, history, and factions, but it's mostly been thrown away as the story focuses on mostly boring kids and a relatively uninteresting creator-creation story.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just signed up for the free HBO Max trial and finished this show in 2 sittings.
Really fantastic and I already can't wait for the next season.

I honestly got some strong LOST vibes from this show. Lots of flashbacks around the character origins, a mysterious world full of weird shit, a strong focus on character progression.
I'll also say, it's SO refreshing when shows or movies actually hire good child actors.
My main hope for the next season is to get a few more good characters added. So many of the ones this season were just soldier grunts with 0 personality whose main purpose was to pop like blood balloons.

Only thing I was disappointed by was Markus's decent into madness. First episode I wasn't so sure about him, but the next few episodes he seemed like a really solid character! But once they got the kids back he was pretty much full blown nut-bar and he just sucked after that. I hope Paul comes back to sanity. He's smart, artistic, and kind, but now he has Sol's voice in his head I hope he isn't beyond saving

Lore discussion:
I absolutely loved the little lore nugget we got with the medical robot that Mother was draining for robo-blood, about how apparently the tech the religious people got to make the androids was from "the stars" from Sol, or whatever that "voice in your head" alien intelligence turns out to be.

It sounds like a similar idea to Prometheus or maybe closer to Mass Effect with some kind of ancient race leaving behind technology for lower species to eventually find and seemingly leading them to the planet this takes place on.

Why the hell this God or alien or whatever wants to make a half-robot/half-human giant flying snake monster I have no idea, but hopefully we might learn in future seasons.
Same with the weird shit that happened with the planet core. Like is there something in there? And why are there so many damn holes to the thing?

Also, I had a feeling those creatures were going to end up being human-ish the second they ate some and said it tasted like pork, haha. Still have no idea where they're going with that storyline, but I'm curious. I'm guessing it's either a Prometheus type thing of a human-like race that seeded the Galaxy to evolve similar human-type lifeforms or it'll be some kind of time travel mumbo-jumbo.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of Engineer imagery in this. The weird alien sauna box thing with the thing inside. Plus that "de evolved" guy looked a lot like an Engineer? Or am I imagining that?

You all weren't kidding about the wild finale. For as crazy and stupid it was at times, I had a lot more fun with this ep than the last few.

Nov 8, 2017
I personally found The Outsider far more interesting for its duration than this was.

After episode 2 or 3 of The Outsider nothing happened until Episode 10. It was kind of insane how much of a holding pattern that show was in, teasing vaguely spooky things. RBW has some of the same problem but it's a less extreme form of it, imo.

Not that I'd say RBW was a notably better show overall. I think the first 2 episodes of The Outsider were really stellar while in this show even the first couple of more eventful eps I had a lot of issues.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Great finale. I signed up for sci-fi fuckery and it delivered in spades

cant wait for season 2

The serpents remind me of the Ahamkara

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 is confirmed? I'm only on episode 6 but this show is bonkers I can't stop watching it

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I burned through the last 7–8 episodes of this this weekend. While there are a lot of things about it I liked, and I'm always happy to see some ambitious sci-fi, I was disappointed that
it ultimately punted on telling a more complete story within the season. I felt it devolved over the season from something potentially interesting into "people descend into madness and mysterious things happen on spooky planet" (tune in next season for some answers maybe!), which is well-trod territory and didn't have much thematic interest.

I'm left pretty lukewarm on the whole thing.

Last edited:

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I burned through the last 7–8 episodes of this this weekend. While there are a lot of things about it I liked, and I'm always happy to see some ambitious sci-fi, I was disappointed that
it ultimately punted on telling a more complete story within the season. I felt it devolved over the season from something potentially interesting into "people descend into madness and mysterious things happen on spooky planet" (tune in next season for some answers maybe!), which is well-trod territory and didn't have much thematic interest.

I'm left pretty lukewarm on the whole thing.
Definitely how I feel too.

I know beggars can't be choosers as live action productions start to slow to a crawl, but I'm sad that both this and Lovecraft Country had some excellent standout components, but didn't feel like a complete satisfying story.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like this was a real slog to get through. If it had been like 5 or 6 episodes the pacing would have been better.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just saw the finale and it was proper Prometheus crazy. Loved it. Really strong start to the series, interesting androids, moments and music throughout made the more drawn out middle section okay and then a crazy last couple of episodes with weirdness brought it up again.