• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 16, 2020
Amanda Colin And Travis Fimmel are carrying this show on their back. I hope Colin gets an Emmy for this.

This is probably my favourite thing Ridley Scott has been apart of in a very long time
Yes! I'm super impressed with Amanda Colin. She's conveying super complex stuff each episode and I never think of her as an actor playing a role. Fully convincing.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes! I'm super impressed with Amanda Colin. She's conveying super complex stuff each episode and I never think of her as an actor playing a role. Fully convincing.

I think the show doesn't work if the leads aren't compelling. Mother, Father, Marcus are the only reason why I'm still watching because without those performances this show wouldn't be as good and I'd probably lose interest. Also I've come around on Campion, I don't think he's as bad as other kid actors in Sci-fi shows are. Season One has kinks to work out but I think this will be HBOMAX's best Original

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched through episode 8 ( I watch an episode each Saturday and Sunday), but that opening with the faceoff was hard to watch. It was revoltingly well done. Director Alex Gabassi and the makeup and visual effects artists could do great work on a Hellraiser film.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I love this weird-ass show. Amanda Collin and Abubakar Salim are such better actors than everyone else, but I've appreciated Travis Fimmel leaning into the crazy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Currently watching episode 9. Was the pod always green or did they run out of money/time to render it correctly?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching episode 9. Was the pod always green or did they run out of money/time to render it correctly?
It started as a desert rock environment camouflage then switched to the bright green as Mother interfaced with it in episode 1. They haven't changed it since that moment.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It was green previously but it also has some type of camouflage tech so that might be where the confusion is coming from. Regardless, I also thought it stood out awkwardly in this particular episode, everything is so monotone but then this pea soup ship is just there.

Didn't like Episode 9 either and I don't have much to say sadly as the flaws are the same as before. Things happen just because(Rapist-Hulk, the Mithraic don't sleep in the shuttle even though we know it gets unbearably cold because Father and Hunter have to steal it, Marcus getting Mother's eyes shoved down his throat and he is also inexplicably not murdered, Paul hears voices so he leaves the cave and burns the metal "Tarot" cards while praising Sol), the Mithraic are still a bunch of nonsense, more mysterious things pushing the mystery quota to even more troubling heights(metal "Tarot", vision from said metal "Tarot", that POV shot of someone watching Mother and the rest).

I just find the whole of everything happening to be so weird. When I was watching the first episode I never thought for a second that things like mysterious voices that only some can hear, cryptic visions, and Rapist-Hulk, would be coming down the line.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
just burned through six episodes... yeesh this is absurdly good

i think HBO fucked up making this the 'max exclusive' in lieu of lovecraft. this could have been their next big thing

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
And now for a simple question that I hope someone can answer: I might have missed it somewhere but has the show explained why Mother and Father did not taken the children to the other region of the planet that is more hospitable? It just seems like once they got that little ship after the first episode, and definitely once they learned the carbos were radioactive, they would get out of that chilly place and go somewhere nicer.
Mother wanted to wait until Tempest's baby was born. If I had to guess, the Lander wouldn't fit everyone (or else Mother would have "saved" more children from the Ark) so they'd have to go on foot.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It was green previously but it also has some type of camouflage tech so that might be where the confusion is coming from. Regardless, I also thought it stood out awkwardly in this particular episode, everything is so monotone but then this pea soup ship is just there.

Didn't like Episode 9 either and I don't have much to say sadly as the flaws are the same as before. Things happen just because(Rapist-Hulk, the Mithraic don't sleep in the shuttle even though we know it gets unbearably cold because Father and Hunter have to steal it, Marcus getting Mother's eyes shoved down his throat and he is also inexplicably not murdered, Paul hears voices so he leaves the cave and burns the metal "Tarot" cards while praising Sol), the Mithraic are still a bunch of nonsense, more mysterious things pushing the mystery quota to even more troubling heights(metal "Tarot", vision from said metal "Tarot", that POV shot of someone watching Mother and the rest).

I just find the whole of everything happening to be so weird. When I was watching the first episode I never thought for a second that things like mysterious voices that only some can hear, cryptic visions, and Rapist-Hulk, would coming down the line.

Ya I thought it had a more grey/blueish hue previously. It looked overly green this episode and blended poorly with some of the shots.

I'm enjoying the show and like the mysterious elements but man they need to focus more. Nothing really gets built upon and it's just more mystery on mystery. Now there's so many layers of unexplained shit I don't see it coming together in the season finale which I'm sure is going to focus on the baby.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm glad the show got a second season, because they're not going to be able to explain much with one episode left.
But that in itself is annoying because if it hasn't been renewed I suspect we'd be left with cliffhangers.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I feel the same as most of the other people here seem to feel. I was totally in love with the show for the first half of so but it has meandered too much at this point. They are constantly adding to the list of mysteries without answering pretty much any of them. I don't see how they can turn it around with one episode left.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it I peeked my head into the thread and missed all of the Karl appreciation. Karl was the best. RIP Karl you were a king.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should answer too much. Although I'm not sure there are that many mysteries anyway. But mainly, there should never be a definitive answer for the voices in Marcus' head. There should be ambiguity if it's him losing his mind or the voice of god or whatever. You can't answer if god is real or not, that would be too much. I imagine we'll find out more about the creatures on Kepler and what really happened to Tally, but the focus should be on the journey of the characters. They are grappling with the meaning of life essentially. Not sure having a definitive answer there is a good thing.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
just burned through six episodes... yeesh this is absurdly good

i think HBO fucked up making this the 'max exclusive' in lieu of lovecraft. this could have been their next big thing
It's clear now based on the bulk of HBO Max's programming that the "Max Original" branding is their B and C tier programming, so I'd say both shows are right where they need to be.

This show has just been slowly sputtering out past its exceptionally strong pilot. I'll watch the finale, but I'm gonna treat this like Westworld, another show that treated its characters as little more than a means to an end to serve the plot and grander mysteries and wait and see how people respond to season two before jumping back in.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
HBO MAX is still in its infancy, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Agreed - the issue many HBO MAX shows have right now is they'll mostly lack universal discourse due to not being available in global regions. For example, Europe doesn't have it at all, so Raised by Wolves has little penetration here beyond piracy (so, core audiences). That wider audience really helps perpetuate and spread conversation even in the locales the show originates from, so it's really vital to the global conversation.

I imagine things will change largely for S2, now that it's a go and the show is officially a success...

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should answer too much. Although I'm not sure there are that many mysteries anyway. But mainly, there should never be a definitive answer for the voices in Marcus' head. There should be ambiguity if it's him losing his mind or the voice of god or whatever. You can't answer if god is real or not, that would be too much. I imagine we'll find out more about the creatures on Kepler and what really happened to Tally, but the focus should be on the journey of the characters. They are grappling with the meaning of life essentially. Not sure having a definitive answer there is a good thing.
This all sounds well and good but the problem is that the mysterious stuff is now the prime mover of the show, it is basically why things are happening and why almost everyone is doing what they are doing, so one can't just act like it is irrelevant(in episode 9, Paul gets up, sneaks away, and destroys something he has no connection to because he heard what he believes to be the voice of his God). When multiple people(at least Campion, Paul, Mother, and Father) have seen the ghost of Tally, when multiple people are hearing voices that compel them to act, when there is a "temple" in the desert that burns the unfaithful, when a robot gets a vision from some sci-fi tarot incongruously placed on a rock face, when a core aspect of Mother's being and a lynchpin of the entire backstory of the show is described as 'dark photon technology' that was encoded in scripture, all of that matters.

And as much as I would have greatly preferred Marcus' descent into religious megalomania to be potentially all in his head, it is abundantly clear that there is something actually manipulating these people.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i feel like the show has 90% lost me, everyone's motivations seem to be completely different every 2 episodes and none of the characters seem especially grounded to me in a way where i can understand why any of the characters are choosing the actions they do

i do like the premise of the show a lot and the first two episodes are extremely good, but i feel it's gone down a lot in quality since, and like almost all of the plot of the show was also in those same first two episodes while the rest of the show feels like it's mostly spinning its wheels

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing this thread pop up a bunch, I gave the first episode a shot. Why did mother crash the ark? Such a random waste of resources. Did I miss something? Still not sure if I'm on board with this yet. The scream thing and flying feels pretty OP, and she's bullet proof, but father went out like a chump. I dunno.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm very curious as to how this will wrap up.
Like with all scifi's and good TV shows in fact, my girlfriend and I have had soo many "well what if..." moments

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing this thread pop up a bunch, I gave the first episode a shot. Why did mother crash the ark? Such a random waste of resources. Did I miss something? Still not sure if I'm on board with this yet. The scream thing and flying feels pretty OP, and she's bullet proof, but father went out like a chump. I dunno.

The Mithraic dudes were a problem, tried to take Campion by force, which I think was the main issue. Mother wasn't really happy with the idea of them showing up earlier than expected because Campion called for help.

You'd have to keep watching unless you want to know the reasons behind the other things you mentioned though lol.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
She's a repurposed Necromancer-class android, designed to murder the fuck out of people. Father is a standard care unit, and that distinction is a point of friction between them

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
How does someone praising this show affect you?
Why would you assume it does? Especially since my comment is also CLEARLY praising it (or is considering something above average a negative assessment in your understanding)? I disagree with the user I quoted on the perceived level of quality the show is providing, but apparently this isn't a place for discussion or expressing oneself regarding the show... if anything except glowing praise is going to meet up with this fantastic level of discourse you're providing then I see a prosperous future for this discussion indeed.

also worth pointing out that user has not engaged with this thread at all other than to proclaim how average it is. 1 post
Worth pointing out that's a fallacy you just used right there. Disqualifying my post as having any worth based on the volume of my previous input, that is. That's what one calls "bad rhetoric". It's bad because your argument becomes invalid if you use flawed logic to substantiate it.
I binge watched the whole thing last night, why would I have any reason to engage with the thread prior to that if I hadn't watched the show at all?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you assume it does? Especially since my comment is also CLEARLY praising it (or is considering something above average a negative assessment in your understanding)? I disagree with the user I quoted on the perceived level of quality the show is providing, but apparently this isn't a place for discussion or expressing oneself regarding the show... if anything except glowing praise is going to meet up with this fantastic level of discourse you're providing then I see a prosperous future for this discussion indeed.

Worth pointing out that's a fallacy you just used right there. Disqualifying my post as having any worth based on the volume of my previous input, that is. That's what one calls "bad rhetoric". It's bad because your argument becomes invalid if you use flawed logic to substantiate it.
I binge watched the whole thing last night, why would I have any reason to engage with the thread prior to that if I hadn't watched the show at all?

Let me rephrase then: also worth pointing out that user has chosen their very first engagement with this thread to not offer up any thoughts or opinions on the show other than than " It's barely above average, come on now people..." in a quoted reply to someone who is enjoying it.

Criticism of the show is more than fine (Check my posts, I am running a little luke-warm on the show as well) but you dive bombing in (for whatever reason) to say "come on people" while offering no reasons as to why means you aren't here to engage with the board and actually discuss the show. You could say the performances aren't that great for many characters (true), you could say the show starts new mysteries before closing old ones (also true) you could say the show that arguably has a strong 1-2 episode start has spent the next string of episodes dawdling and not progressing in a satisfying way. My point is to disqualify your post but not your sentiment as I feel that has some merit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Mother is a reprogrammed mass-murder-machine
Father is an android nurse

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the show lost me as soon as

The mother pregnancy story started. And then having the rapist inexplicably turn into a hulk man then explode REALLY lost me.

I'm close enough where I'll still ride it out until the end though. Disappointed that 5.1 hasn't worked once when watching it on my tv app.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

The mother pregnancy story started. And then having the rapist inexplicably turn into a hulk man then explode REALLY lost me.

I'm close enough where I'll still ride it out until the end though. Disappointed that 5.1 hasn't worked once when watching it on my tv app.
While there are many silly things in this show, that did jump the shark to the point I started laughing; this show is way too on the nose at times.

How much do you want to bet she gives birth to a cheesey Xenomorph knockoff? And then tries to raise it, or at least protect it, due to her "programming?"

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

Yup they better explain how the glyph card reversed the blood flow and turned him into a hulk.

The explode part though is explained earlier. If he tried to escape then based off the distance between him and captor droid, his helmet is programmed to crush him. The girl tossed the droid far away triggering this.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Just finished EP9. This show is incredible and I hate how I don't know many people with HBO so I have no one to gush about it with. I haven't been this jazzed about a show since Hill House.

I didn't particularly like the gross caricature they formed for what "atheism" is, but I guess in all fairness they dialed the christian-esque religious stuff up a lot too. I'm also really tired of sci-fi handcuffing itself to god/christianity/creation themes all the time, but at least this show is good to watch. Maybe one day before I die we'll get something this level of quality that explores the themes of humanity/androids/origins etc without going too far down the same old paths.

Cannot wait for another season and I'm not even through the first yet.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still liking it.

I'm also of the opinion that while the writing has been questionable at points, it's not unsalvagable

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
Yup they better explain how the glyph card reversed the blood flow and turned him into a hulk.

The explode part though is explained earlier. If he tried to escape then based off the distance between him and captor droid, his helmet is programmed to crush him. The girl tossed the droid far away triggering this.

I believe the glyph just got her distracted/offline like the VR earlier and the space rapist reversed the blood flow himself.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the glyph just got her distracted/offline like the VR earlier and the space rapist reversed the blood flow himself.
That's what I thought as well. The guy was already proven to be crafty by running away (though I missed when that happened) and disabling his robot.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I go back and forth on this show. On the one hand, it's an interesting premise and there are times where the acting elevates it to higher levels, especially concerning Mother, Father, and Marcus. Plus it's fun to just t-pose on your enemies. But man, the other sections kinda just meander at times. I'm still interested in seeing how it all concludes though.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Really enjoyed the whole season and looking forward to the last episode, I just hope they don't leave us on a big cliffhanger.