• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This show has been progressively going off the deep end and I don't think there's any chance that any of what is going makes any damn sense in the end.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Father
making a joke as soon as he came back to his senses put a big smile on my face

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah it's very close to going off the deep end for me.

Also I'm not squeamish and my movie collection has its share of horror movies, but even I was grossed out by certain scenes.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised at the reception. I'm really liking this show a bunch. Father so far is my fav, along with Tempest.

I'll have to watch the new episodes tomorrow.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like;

the android's baby is actually the chosen one, whatever that means. The voice seems to want to protect her, not the king

Anyway, this show is getting grosser and weirder. Still good though.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised at the reception. I'm really liking this show a bunch. Father so far is my fav, along with Tempest.

I'll have to watch the new episodes tomorrow.
I was completely on board with the show, but the past four episodes have pushed me a bit further away, the last two the most. It's starting to cross over from self-serious to silly for me.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I have no idea where they are taking this show, but I thought the first episode being the way it was I figured there was gonna be some sort of significant time skip with an adult Campion fighting against an insane mother. Now, I just have no idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright im swinging back around now but I genuinely think the biggest problem with the show is the characters are really weak but im willing to overlook that if we get this specific pop off...

yo what if mother gives birth to a xenomorph

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Is it part alien? Or part human part Android triggered by some program installed in mother? Or perhaps all three. Who knows but im still enjoying it. It's still got enough weirdness and mystery that I'm on board all the way. You just don't see shows like this get greenlit let alone renewed for a second season. The camp level is glorious to me in a way most CW styles don't pull of at all. I will say episode eight was pretty boring though, which was a first for this show in my opinion.

Speaking of people being grossed out by the recent episodes, was it just the face peeling and collapsing helmet that did it? That didn't seem particularly egregious for this show?

I do however hope they answer enough questions in the finale to to give a sense they actually know where they're headed. There's clearly an evil force at play but how much of its involved in the aliens, mother's pregnancy or the speaking to people remains to be seen. I hope there's some clarity there before the show finishes up the season

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like;

the android's baby is actually the chosen one, whatever that means. The voice seems to want to protect her, not the king

Anyway, this show is getting grosser and weirder. Still good though.

I'm not sure. The show has made it seem as though anyone could be the chosen one: Campion, Paul, Marcus, and now the fetus. I'm not sold that it will be a human looking baby when Mother finally gives "birth". Hopefully that happens next episode, which is the season finale.

I'm really enjoying the show. A bit shocked that a lot of people in this thread don't seem to be liking it. To me right now it feels very Lost-ish. I just hope the writers have done their homework and hashed out the mythos, and aren't just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks (like Lost).

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still having a decent time with the show, but I fear it's dangerously close to just unraveling in the worst way possible.

I know the show was supposed to air on TNT and Warner Bros bought it for Max. With the announcement of a second season, I hope they give them the resources and talent needed to keep the show on the rails.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely good, the last episode gave it Aliens lore feeling to it, next season will be crazy

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this show and don't understand the reception for it here either.

I think the android baby is a bit off the rails but it would be better explained if that was already the plan before the VR sex scene. I suppose it already kind of is and I do think mother's VR trips are also all just occuring in her head so to speak and thus she wasn't actually impregnated by her creator during that scene but rather the plan all along was that she was a host for the android baby from the jump and the other embyos really were never the priority.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the show, but not really into the babybot story

Overall, I think these 2 were the were episodes so far

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
God I really love this fucking show lmao. I look forward to it all week. Starting ep 8 now.

Hunter calling Father 'Pops' was so damn sweet, I'm hoping he'll bring him back around. Also, whoever called Mary abandoning Marcus with Paul seems spot on so far.

Also where did Mother find this Medic bot? I wasn't paying attention.

GolazoDan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how this wraps up. At the moment I'm enjoying the show but it's a very qualified enjoyment. I hope they have some answers in the finale because they're asking a lot of questions.

I really enjoy Marcus and Sue in this. Marcus just seems like a fun role to play, he's flip-flopping all over the place personality-wise. She's not as interesting in that regard but I dunno. Good performance with limited material!

Really not sure about this "Mother has a baby!" thing though. All the blood-swapping hasn't helped.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Show is fucking out there and I love that. My desire for android milk is being sufficiently satisfied.

273dee1579a635558965f99e031d0a1b35f30691.gifv

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Question that doesn't spoil anything beyond the first episode:

Why did Campion (the Creator, not the first born) send Mother and Father to Kepler-22b if the Mythraic Ark was also going there?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Question that doesn't spoil anything beyond the first episode:

Why did Campion (the Creator, not the first born) send Mother and Father to Kepler-22b if the Mythraic Ark was also going there?
Probably no other known planets close enough that could support life. I believe that's the case in real life.

Though we learn in these episodes that their technology comes from another civilization, probably originating from this planet.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"Dark Photons are a poorly understood technology...They followed the formulas they discovered were encrypted in their scriptures."

Dark Photons...formulas...encrypted...scriptures

You know, I think this show might be dumb.

Continues to watch as:
  • Marcus, without a shred of irony, says "Belief doesn't happen overnight."
  • Morse code finger but Hunter quits before the message is complete. So many words begin with "Li", Hunter.
  • Sue apparently loses all of her combat skills as a gut-stabbed Marcus drags her around like a child.
  • It sure is handy that despite crashing the Mithraic ship for no real reason all those episodes ago, it still has whatever Mother needs when she needs it. First a Doctor-bot and all the milk-blood she needs and then another inexplicably functioning simulation bed. And good thing because without that sim-bed Mother would've had no way to get to her archived memories, learn about the 'true mission', and be given the opportunity to sim-fuck the memory/facsimile/ghost of her maker.
  • Dark Photons.
  • Why is not-Father trying to kill Campion at all?
  • Uh oh, Mother now has the taste for blood.
  • "Hold it! Time to do some penance."
  • Special Android baby.

Whew. And that was just Episode 8, can't wait to see what treasures are waiting for me in number 9.

This episode, easily my least favorite, kind of encapsulates the entirety of the show and its shortcomings for me. Things happened, more than what I listed, but very few of them seemed to be motivated by anything or even followed any real logical progression. Even when there isn't a mysterious voice or presence or whatever dicking people around, the majority of the characters are just doing something and a lot of the time it doesn't seem to be rooted in anything. The Mithraic are literally sitting around with no purpose because only Marcus matters as far as that group goes. Shouldn't we be getting to know these people? Paul is clearly scared of his father but he kind of putters about even when he is planning his escape, just talking to Campion via walkie in the dome he shares with his father. Tempest is following Mother, just to hide from Mother(this, one can guess, is because of the creature but we shouldn't have to guess).

More than most shows I can recall, Raised By Wolves feels like instead of good plotting we have the characters as pieces that are constantly being moved on a board. Is Father's predicament not just him landing on "Move Back 3 Spaces"?

And if the Dark Photons that make Necromancers special and their "divine" origin isn't the worst case of 'answering a question with a question' then I don't know what is.

For some positives:
  • Sue continues to be the stealth MVP, partly the actress but also just as much credit goes to her being the only character with any real agency who has a goal that isn't from on high.
  • Karl.
  • Vita is Best Kid.
  • The animalistic behavior of Mother returns.
  • Hunter feeling guilty for his role in Father's current situation.
  • A religious leader asks his God for a sign. Immediately the religious leader's church burns down. He somehow takes this as a good sign. This is probably the most realistic thing the show has done.

edit: Oh and a question that came to mind as I watched this episode: Why did the show bother making Marcus and Sue Atheists in disguise? It isn't really relevant, this exact story playing out would work just fine, would be much simpler, and would add some nice diversity to the Mithraic if they were just a less religious family who were still a part of the faith.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Why the hell would you produce a weapon with such a bullshit level of power?!

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if more episodes or a slower pace would fix it but the amount of things throwing at the wall at this point is wild. Still in for the finale at this point but it's going to have to do a lot to get me back for season 2. At this point my only interest in season 2 is just to see what it could possibly be since the characters are swinging around so much.

Why the hell would you produce a weapon on with such a bullshit level of power?!

The Mithraic are inhumanly stupid in the show. Not just the fact that they destroyed Earth but are also such zealots that they can't even comprehending why Campion would be upset that they desecrated the graves of his siblings.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Pretty entertaining show, I hope the mysteries pay off.

My theory is that the whole Mithraic faith is a trap to lure humanity to that planet. I imagine the alien intelligence that is pulling the strings here has been manipulating people since before their arrival to the planet and wants them to do something: liberate it from a prison? use Mother as a... mother to be reborn? who knows, it will certainly not be a benevolent intelligence if it created the Mithraic faith, gave them weapons like the necromancers and probably led humanity to war with itself.
I wonder if the creatures are a previous failed attempt at this plan.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Ridley scott loves having good impregnation fetish, doesn't he?
Prometheus with the alien in the main character, and now Mother.
I'm really waiting to see if there is a solid explanation for this baby. It just... I don't know. Its half android, half human? but then the rapist was able to reverse the blood flow and get super strong and buff? I just don't want them to *hand wave* that shit all alway.

The first episode was pretty great, but then DAMN, they hit the breaks for no real exposition. I still don't know fuck about the Mithraic or Atheist religions. They had so much runway and just completely missed it.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Episode 7 really drove home how much I dislike the Mithraic.

I complained about them before with their lame logo but over time I've soured on them and their depiction more and more. So much about how we are supposed to see them is too reliant on our own thoughts on the religions of Earth that we know. Early in the show I thought it was supposed to be a Dune-like melding of multiple religions, that its 'been there, done that' feel was intentional, that this was the syncretic religion of tomorrow. But instead it has a prophecy and its "mysteries" so that train of thought kind of ends there. So its reliance on the being a reskinned Christianity-like is just sloppy. They have thuribles/censers swinging on chains burning insense, they use "thee" and "thy" language in their scriptures, they use the term "scripture" at all, Campion apparently needs to be baptized(and the baptism, despite mentioning that he must be cleansed in Sol's light or some such, still uses water!). All of it is hoary and played out and turns something that is a integral part of the whole show pretty weightless.

And, Sol above, does everyone in their white outfits not named Sue look dumb. For some reason she is the only one whose particular outfit seems to work, I think she might be the only one who doesn't wear the dumb looking tabard so that might be it. And she kind of makes the side-cut mullethawk work.

Oh and this episode kind of confirmed that the Mithraic are somehow connected to Mithraism, like directly(Mithras and the bull is on the tapestry at the baptism), and I won't even want to get into that(my knowledge of it is very limited). I always assumed they just took the name because "Mithras" has a nice ring to it but I guess not. Between this fact and the priest-class of Mithraic having the 'square and compass' of the Freemasons on their hands, I am going to assume none of this means anything.

And the majority of Episode 7(and the end in particular) made me groan a bit. We are now at the point, I guess, where characters cease to be characters and are instead at the whims of otherworldy forces. In the whole 50 or so minutes of the episode there were barely any moments I would describe as "human". Sue smiling when Campion turns down the baptism, Campion getting angry that the Mithraic used his families headstones for their altar, and the brief scene between Tempest, other girl, and Vita with the medallions. Everything else is voices, and scripture, and plans, and belief, in place of motivation.

And I can't wait for the rapist to return and bump into Tempest, that is going to be so much fun. Sarcasm, obviously.
I mean, a lot of the Mithraic religion is taken from the cult of Sol Invictus and earlier sun worshipers, which the early Christians took elements from to grow their own religion.

I actually think the show depicts pretty well what religion could be like if Constantine pushed the Roman Empire fully towards Sol Invictus instead of Christianity.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Ridley scott loves having good impregnation fetish, doesn't he?
Prometheus with the alien in the main character, and now Mother.
I'm really waiting to see if there is a solid explanation for this baby. It just... I don't know. Its half android, half human? but then the rapist was able to reverse the blood flow and get super strong and buff? I just don't want them to *hand wave* that shit all alway.

The first episode was pretty great, but then DAMN, they hit the breaks for no real exposition. I still don't know fuck about the Mithraic or Atheist religions. They had so much runway and just completely missed it.

Yeah, the turn with the Dark Souls looking rapist didn't make sense

He somehow is able to reverse the blood flow, then immediately goes after Tempest. Although her killing him was foreshadowed

No wonder Marcus is limping, must be tired from carrying the whole Mithraic storyline on his back. That whole portion is really dull, especially in ep 8 with them all just standing around.

Mother's development is at least somewhat interesting, and thank goodness for Father as he adds a little bit of humor to what is a very bleak show. Knock, know

Little Paul hearing voices now too.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty entertaining show, I hope the mysteries pay off.

My theory is that the whole Mithraic faith is a trap to lure humanity to that planet. I imagine the alien intelligence that is pulling the strings here has been manipulating people since before their arrival to the planet and wants them to do something: liberate it from a prison? use Mother as a... mother to be reborn? who knows, it will certainly not be a benevolent intelligence if it created the Mithraic faith, gave them weapons like the necromancers and probably led humanity to war with itself.
I wonder if the creatures are a previous failed attempt at this plan.

Interesting theory, could be.

Oct 25, 2017
you mean the necromancers? They explained this week that the mithraic had no idea what they were building, they got the tech from documents they recovered that formed their religion (aka ancient aliens)

The short comic they released suggested they stole it from an atheist nation they conquered and are passing it off as ancient scripture without really knowing what they are doing.

Are we gonna talk about that thing in the hexagonal box?

Brain kazoo. What is there to talk about?

a secret boss

Oct 25, 2017
This show is reminding me of Lost. The mysteries and ghost like character (voice image)

Even Karl is nightmare looking.

love the last episode because Father is back. I liked the Campion and Father reunion

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
This shows great I fall asleep right away in the first five minutes and wake up feeling pretty refreshed after. I would have dropped it by now but the sleep is too good.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The short comic they released suggested they stole it from an atheist nation they conquered and are passing it off as ancient scripture without really knowing what they are doing.

Yeah, that's the atheist point of view which Mother also hints at, but either way the point is the same -- the mithraic didn't know what they were doing

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I don' know, the Mithraic are so weird in that they are based on a real ancient religion, kinda/sorta, but their trappings all scream Christianity.

All this stuff is interesting in the abstract but it makes me really worried that the creators are just taking ideas and iconography wherever they can find it and that it will have little substantive value at the end of the day.

For instance, we already have the title of vague meaning. Is it Romulus and Remus? It certainly isn't the characters being raised "wild". Is it that Mother is a Necromancer(thus a MIthraic creation) who is now an Atheist, meanwhile Marcus and Sue are Atheists disguised as Mithraics, thus making the parents on the show all 'wolves in sheep's clothing'? You also have Mother's 2 moments in the first episode where she acts wolf-like(howling in grief and, in a rabid-like fury, digging up bones)? She also tells the story of the 3 Little Pigs and is she not someone who "Huffs, and puffs, and blows..." people to death(but then again you have the fact that Mother names herself Lamia, which seems grossly out of character)?

Are the serpents supposed to carry meaning(presumably of the Biblical variety)? Why do the carbos only grow where there are serpent skeletons? Why do the Mithraic believe anything they believe(that the unbaptized don't have souls, for instance) and why do they worship Sol and yet baptize with water(I'll never get passed this)? Why Mithras at all when they clearly just worship Sol?

I love a good mystery, especially a good "What is going on?" type where the mystery seems to be all encompassing, where the point is trying to figure out what the mystery even is, but as of right now everything on the show seems to be weighted with so much implied meaning that it makes me think none of it means much of anything.

And now for a simple question that I hope someone can answer: I might have missed it somewhere but has the show explained why Mother and Father did not taken the children to the other region of the planet that is more hospitable? It just seems like once they got that little ship after the first episode, and definitely once they learned the carbos were radioactive, they would get out of that chilly place and go somewhere nicer.
Well, Romulus's tooth is now a plot point in the show. A piece of Romulus's body is literally a Mitraic artifact and someone mentions something to the effect of "he was raised by a wolfess who lost her children and founded Rome." Subtle this show isn't.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda fucked that the best part of this show was the pilot's ending and nothing has even remotely reached that high since then.

starcourt84

Aug 4, 2019
This show is the best thing to come out of 2020.

There, I said it.

Amanda Collins is simply amazing. The whole cast is amazing.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Amanda Colin And Travis Fimmel are carrying this show on their back. I hope Colin gets an Emmy for this.

This is probably my favourite thing Ridley Scott has been apart of in a very long time

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The scenes with Mother and Karl are amongst the best in the show. I could watch a complete bottle episode with various levels of androids philosophizing on the meaning of existence through simple interactions.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I like the show, but didn't like the last few episodes much at all. mythraic king dude is the worst, disappointed his storyline is just chosen one craziness