• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017

This is the biggest update in one season they've ever released for Siege, and I've been playing from a few months after launch.

Highlights:
- Sam Fisher, aka "Zero" (don't ask me). At this point dude has to be the Sixth Freedom and working for Fifth Echelon. Attack operator with a new assault rifle from Splinter Cell, and also Bandit's MP7 (!). Gadget is a drillable camera that's shot from a gun with the classic 3-shot Splinter Cell pattern for a laser sight. Each camera can look into both sides of a wall/floor/ceiling, and can shoot one laser.
- Chalet rework, in keeping with other reworks, adds a new set of stairs for rotation and a new hallway to basement
- Ping 2.0, contextual pings a la Apex Legends
- A bunch of new sights and redistribution of various sights to various operators, presumably for balancing
- Thatcher rework/nerf where his EMPs only temporarily disable gadgets
- New attacker gadget, a mini Thermite charge that opens up a small square
- Early replay/demo function to rewatch your previous 12 matches in the client with spectator view
- Probably other stuff that I'm missing, or stuff people will only discover after the fact

Insane amount of stuff to come out all for one season. I thought they'd still be working on some things and push them out for Y5S4.

The best tactical multiplayer shooter just gets better.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, it feels like this is making Thermite completely useless.
Hibana can at least hard breach from a distance.

Thatcher nerf is also weird, I already barley see him picked, at least in unranked.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
So Thatcher got nerfed cause of the new thermite gadget? Guess it would be impossible to bandit trick anymore if any attacker can just have a thermite with them

Oct 27, 2017
Not featured in the video, but from the full reveal, you'll be able to adjust the ADS sensitivity for each zoom level (1.5x, 2.0x and 2.5x).

This season will bring a bunch of great quality of life updates.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I like the shared reinforce wall thing. As a newcomer i have no idea where to put them effectively and when i do teammates complain i put it on the wrong spot. Now i can just let them handle that

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Having never played this what's the most cost effect way to get involved on XB1?

Is that alien expansion next gen only?

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ that nerf to Thatcher, what was his banrate and winrate on competitive?

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
Thatcher was stupid op, happy he got nerfed, and people who are saying thermite is irrelevant make no sense to me.

Do flashbags make Ying irrelevant

Breach charges to sledge and buck?

Claymores to nomad or gridlock?

The breaching tool isn't nearly as good as a dedicated hard breacher.

But it's about providing options and as the devs say, allowing more "exotic" picks that you don't see often enough as the attacker line up is very stringent.

Good changes overall tho, good work ubi

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling they were going this route for Thatcher since his gadget worked this way for newer gadgets like Maestro. I think it's a fair change and should promote more tactical use as opposed to mostly just chucking them and running off or something.

Hard breaching gadget sounds pretty nice too, and should offer some good utility to ops that need more. Nokk will really benefit here and I think it will be useful for Capitao as well. It doesn't really invalidate other hard breachers at all. They're smaller than Thermite's charges and take longer to detonate. Not to mention they're limited to certain ops.

Defender gadget pool is pretty interesting. That's something I'd need to experience to have more thoughts though.

OP
OP
Miker

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Well, also reminder that you only get 1 new operator and no new maps anymore, so it balances out?

I'm personally fine with continuous reworks and fewer operators. I don't need or even want a brand new map to learn every 3 months. Some reworks are bigger than others. Hereford and house are basically completely new maps. Feature creep is already very much a thing for Siege - I mean, Sam Fisher's gadget is ridiculously versatile - and once they rework Tachanka, it's basically another new operator. Same with the inevitable Castle rework.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I main Thatcher and frankly, this was needed. It's such a fire and forget magnet that could cause serious damage if paired with a good IQ and the site is on a top floor. A lot of the discussion around Bandit tricking makes it seem like it would be way harder now, because since the gadget disables batteries instead of destroying them, you'll have to pick up the batteries or shoot them in order to get them back down in time.

We still don't know who gets the hard breach charges yet and how many. Could be like a claymore where you only get one, and once it's placed it immediately begins breaching, so the timing will be different compared to Thermite and Hibana, not to mention its a smaller opening. It's slower too, so I expect it could be Kaid tricked fairly easily.

I think the pool of reinforcements is a great idea in a five stack. Gives a lot of help to people like Kapkan and Valkyrie who have a lot of setup as well.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Huge changes incoming, goddamn. This has me pretty excited, even if they're doing my boy Thatcher dirty.

Really hope the match replay system comes to consoles at some point. Would be a revelation.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I know they're probably gonna sell skins for Sam Fisher later that give him a more typical Splinter Cell look, but why did they dress him up like he's on an undercover mission in a game about direct-action tactical assault teams?
This character design for this game seems kinda at odds with what both this game and Splinter Cell is about, though it does kinda remind me of hobo-Sam from the cancelled version of Splinter Cell Conviction that had an emphasis on blending in with crowds like Assassin's Creed.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Thatcher nerfed to the ground holy shit

I swear, Thatcher is probably my MOST played attacker and Ubi just brush him aside. Even the physical chibis they sold there was no Thatcher, at least not that I found any.
I'll still be using him, revealing other traps temporarily is still a big help.

This game looks better now, I haven't put as much time like I used to but with all these changes it looks like something to get back into.

Side comment: I've been thinking of buying the Astro A40 TR headset that comes with the mixamp pro. Anyone with this headset have any input on how good it can be with this game?

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
Biggest problem: IQ is completely nullified by ping 2.0
Except IQ can still see gadgets thru fucking walls, or identify hidden gadgets, which is still pretty powerful
Call me crazy but it felt like they are trying to do everything to have plausible deniability around Sam Fischer. Like not calling him Fischer

Saw the same post and was laughing out loud
But they do say his name is Fisher?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Who asked for that Thatcher nerf?

thatcher was too op

could deny everything way too easily and then could die for all i cared

now he needs to work closely with the team

also between fuze, Grenade ops, Fisher, thatcher, twitch, and Kali, there are tons of ways to deal with electronics and traps

Except IQ can still see gadgets thru fucking walls, or identify hidden gadgets, which is still pretty powerful

But they do say his name is Fisher?

But she's still weak. Id like to see her be able to ping electronics through her gadget with ping 2.0

also im still waiting on a castle buff. Way too many ways to destroy his walls

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jesus Christ that nerf to Thatcher, what was his banrate and winrate on competitive?
Can't have a winrate when your banrate is 100% lol

(I have no clue what the real banrate is)
I think the pool of reinforcements is a great idea in a five stack. Gives a lot of help to people like Kapkan and Valkyrie who have a lot of setup as well.
I barely place my walls when playing Kapkan. Gotta get as fast as possible to those important doors to rig them with his gadget.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
This update is genuinely Siege 2.0, just in time for next-gen. It will either completely reinvent and revitalize the meta or completely break it lol. It looks fucking incredible and I can't wait.

I don't consider Thatcher's changes to be much of a nerf, just a rework. Thatcher will always bring the most utility of any attacking operator (kind of like IQ) regardless of how much you nerf his gadget. What the meta needs is a more viable alternative who isn't Kali though since, like Doc/Jaeger, her loadout encourages selfish/solo play no matter how team-oriented their gadgets are.

Like Jager, I kind of think Thatcher is basically nerf proof. Thermite/Hibana on the other hand just took a huge nerf, and that's before taking into account how they were already inferior to Ace in just about every way (secondary gadget, hard breaching ability, weapon loadout)

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Damn and my PC is dead without money to repair it. Great move adding Sam by Ubi, it's pretty much their signature character by this point even if Blacklist was 8 years ago.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I like pretty much everything I see about this new season aside from the map ban phase. I find these added time wasters at the start of a match annoying.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I love Siege and still play it regularly on PC after about 4 years since i started, but i don't get why they nerfed Tatcher like that, and made hard breaching easier adding this secondary gadget to open reinforced wall, we already have Hibana, Thermite, Ace and Maverick for that.
But anyway i can't wait to try all these new things, including Sam Fisher, and see how it all plays. Still despite being a die hard fan of Siege, i really hoped next-gen would have been the occasion to close it and make a sequel/reboot with a completely new engine, physics and ray tracing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I love Siege and still play it regularly on PC after about 4 years since i started, but i don't get why they nerfed Tatcher like that, and made hard breaching easier adding this secondary gadget to open reinforced wall, we already have Hibana, Thermite, Ace and Maverick for that.
But anyway i can't wait to try all these new things, including Sam Fisher, and see how it all plays. Still despite being a die hard fan of Siege, i really hoped next-gen would have been the occasion to close it and make a sequel/reboot with a completely new engine, physics and ray tracing.

They said in the video the secondary is specifically to open up more possibilities without gimping your team's composition where a hard breacher felt mandatory and thus always locked up a spot. The hard breachers do it safer or better meanwhile the secondary is only allowed on 5 other specific attackers whose gadgets aren't primarily offensive. That seems fair.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely can see the arguments around Thatcher and the reworked EMP that almost makes it seem like his EMPs are going to be fairly pointless if it only disables rather than an outright takedown of devices. Don't know if this could mean they may try and buff up the EMP in other ways like "Carry more EMP Grenades" or "increase effective radius" or if they will keep it as is. Either way, from comments, are making it clear that this was something that did need to happen (and was a long time coming). I need to catch up on Competitive Siege (or see the history) to see if Thatcher was almost like a staple choice to have or not. Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong.

Looking through the comments though, the other name that did come up was Thermite. And... Yeah... we got a problem there for him too. Mind you I don't recall how strong the secondary breached is and perhaps Thermite could still melt through steel faster and more efficiently than the breacher (taking a wild shot in the dark, so again, correct me if I'm wrong), but if it seems like the Breacher is a more effective tool than the Exothermic Charges, he is going to be having a bad time.

I'm definitely going to look more into this in the morning to see how big these changes are, but I have to admit, Siege has been doing a pretty good job in keeping the support for as long as they have while adding in new content and reworking old maps to be more engaging.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
I don't get why so many of you guys are pissed off by the Tatcher nerf, at Plat 2/Plat 1 elo, he got ban more than 50% of the time. His gadget almost requires no skill to be used, you drop the EMP and go do something else, and it used to destroy almost everything with few counter possible. I think it's a great thing they unified the way his EMP works.

For the hard breach charge, for what I saw in a few videos I watched about the new season, attacker that got it only have one, no way to remove it when placed on a wall and it makes a lot of noise, so it's not that op. With good Bandit/mute/Kaid, it will be easy to get rid of it.