• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how old the files are, and how close it is to the current version being worked on. If there's even a handful of characters different between then and now, I think the hype cycle is salvageable and marketing can put something together.

But yeah, Capcom's pretty much fucked at this point - it's not like a person/item being ransomed, where you get back what's being held. The only recourse is finding the people doing it and arresting them, and honestly if they have contingencies even that's not foolproof.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's the thing. There's no guarantee they will stop.
At least starting some sort of dialogue would be an option.

I'm just afraid of what else they're gonna leak which can be very damaging for capcom.

This will already cause a lot of damage. Because I believe the base roster was decided awhile ago.
They can't redo SF6, once someone will upload a character list we won't even be hype for character reveals.

I mean, MvC3 had Lupinko leak the entire roster over the course of a year and UMvC3 had the website leak so it's not like getting screwed roster-wise isn't something they haven't dealt with before.

Of course I'm aware those were well in the hype cycle and 10 years back.

Deleted member 60135

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 21, 2019
Remember when PSASBR got the entire base roster leaked and that crippled the marketing of an already contentious game?

I doubt it will be that bad because it's SF but this is pretty bad

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm just afraid of what else they're gonna leak which can be very damaging for capcom.

This will already cause a lot of damage. Because I believe the base roster was decided awhile ago.
They can't redo SF6, once someone will upload a character list we won't even be hype for character reveals.
Thing is, didn't their ransom note say they'd sell to the highest bidder if Capcom didn't agree? Publishing this publicly really defeats the purpose of wanting people to buy the info. Unless of course it's people's personal information that would make the big bucks, and that they'd keep those private for sale. Hopefully that part doesn't get exposed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's absolutely awful, but Capcom can't pay these people.

Holy fuck, this is bad.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

honestly I don't see how this is going to affect more than their marketing. Sf6 has been an open secret for awhile. We all know it's been in dev hell and it's reveal was delayed. I doubt this will do more damage to Capcom than has already been done. If anything a potential roster leak would help more than hurt

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With it being so early on, theres always a chance this is all preliminary. Didnt they also say they are going back to the drawing board

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this blows marketing plans but they didnt get their hands on any actual code for upcoming games did they? Marketing you can always pivot and figure something out. If they were able to actually get ahold of some source code or something for some upcoming games that would be the really damaging stuff.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Data thief and Capcom are suffering for rightfully refusing to negotiate with these godawful people.

damn I feel for Capcom.

and I'm super annoyed at seeing a tiny Amount posts asking for more details about the posted info rather then seeing the bigger picture here

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With it being so early on, theres always a chance this is all preliminary. Didnt they also say they are going back to the drawing board
That's the thing, we could be looking at an older build with not all of the characters (they could add more in the extra dev time).

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
honestly I don't see how this is going to affect more than their marketing. Sf6 has been an open secret for awhile. We all know it's been in dev hell and it's reveal was delayed. I doubt this will do more damage to Capcom than has already been done. If anything a potential roster leak would help more than hurt
yes i'm quite sure capcom agrees that having their data stolen and posted on the web is a net positive

what in the hell am i reading

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, this is theft, and this forum's administration should stop permitting this shit to be posted on here. Poodlestrike B-Dubs

Yeah... It's like, not justifying other leaks but whereas some are someone on the project itself leaking the info, or someone knowing a guy. This is straight up someone hacking and stealing info and trying to extort money. Giving these ""leaks"" the time of day (Even if some are positive like the other thread about their stuff on PoC and LGBTQ+ stuff), is also giving attention to the person stealing stuff.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
The base character are probably decided at this point besides maybe 1 or at most 2 characters. It's a slippery slope if they pay to stop it tbh. It's fucked either way it seems.

OP
OP
Xpliskin

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed, this is theft, and this forum's administration should stop permitting this shit to be posted on here. Poodlestrike B-Dubs

I agree and I hesitated before posting this, I don't mind the thread being locked.

At some point though people will start going through the files and I don't think we'll be able to avoid information and screenshots that'll be going around.

Deleted member 31140

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
unbelievable. I think resetera should change its policy regarding reporting on this stolen data. While the situation is similar to the nintendo leaks, the extent of it seems to be on an entirely new level. What an incredibly unfair situation for capcom :(

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I feel bad for capcom. Revealing the roster up to launch is the most hype thing about new fighting games. This takes all the wind outta those sails.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
unbelievable. I think resetera should change its policy regarding reporting on this stolen data. While the situation is similar to the nintendo leaks, the extent of it seems to be on an entirely new level. What an incredibly unfair situation for capcom :(
The thing though is that this info is already on social media and reddit and it's not realistic to pretend it didn't happen.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

A data hack of this caliber hurts their reputation, it throws a potential wrench into their dealings with other companies, it exposes a lot of their internal plans to competitors....not everything of value necessarily has a price tag.

I agree and I hesitated before posting this, I don't mind the thread being locked.

At some point though people will start going through the files and I don't think we'll be able to avoid information and screenshots that'll be going around.

The rub is we can't just sit here and pretend that we don't know about the MH Rise PC port or the DGS localization, especially not when the rest of the internet isn't going to be anywhere near as considerate. It fundamentally, directly, and permanently alters the conversation of anything Capcom related for a good while, in a way that we can't really avoid without actively censoring it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility toward another member
It's theft, yes, but it's news. How is this not worthy of discussion? This is a major industry event. Topics like how a company will respond, market differently etc are absolutely worth talking about.
Fucking spare me and others posts like yours. Garbage posts, all of them.

Mar 18, 2020
The thing though is that this info is already on social media and reddit and it's not realistic to pretend it didn't happen.

the site has no obligation to join in disseminating the info tho, especially if they're trying to cultivate some sort of positive relationship with people in the industry.

this is stolen data that includes employee info

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is pretty fucked up, and yet people will drool over the info here anyway

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

theres no point, the info is gonna be everywhere. you can't just pretend it didn't happen and it will come up in a ton of topics.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it is blackmail, right? Capcom should pay the hacker to stop leaking more stuff?
I'm sorry but the possible millions they are asking for is worth more than leak game info. I only say game info because the personal stuff like bank account or addresses and what not that you can't even put a value on and is such a bigger deal than the video game leaks.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
By this point the data thieves could leak Okami 2 and Rise G and I wouldn't give a damn. Those responsible don't deserve it. And while I don't feel an inclination to defend a company as an entity, I do feel for the developers and everyone working on Capcom. This whole situation sucks.

I know that this is the internet and whatever is leaked won't ever leave, but I'd rather limit the amount of discussion that is made about the subject. If it concerns legal actions, then sure. We can talk about the ramifications of this event. But actively talking about the information that got leaked should be (at least) frowned upon, out of respect for the developers.

OP
OP
Xpliskin

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
the site has no obligation to join in disseminating the info tho, especially if they're trying to cultivate some sort of positive relationship with people in the industry.

this is stolen data that includes employee info

I agree. I've already asked for a mod to lock this thread. I regret participating in propagating the info.
It'll be unavoidable sure, but I'd rather not take part in it. Even if this thread would have been up for 1 hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.