• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's relieving. I'm not normally one to care about launchers but damn does Bethesda need to get theirs up to snuff before trying to launch things on there exclusively. I don't care about features just... try not to make it so chuggy and have things accidentally deleted for no reason.

I don't know the Bethesda Launcher, but is it like uplay? So you register the game there and on steam is just a link to the launcher? Or will the games be really on steam and the BL will just be ... a launcher that requieres the steam license?
It's hard to say how they're going to do it going forward, but their older games don't use BL at all, and the only game I have on Steam that has BL integration is Quake Champions, but in that instance it simply requires a connection between your Steam account and your BL account and the game logs into it directly, and doesn't launch it in the background like an Ubisoft game would with Uplay.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
You know what's amazing?

This small gesture in the announcement of Steam store release is a PR win and helps the launch sale reach a full potential riding high from the good PR.

Imagine a fucking year ago I told you that a game being announced on Steam that was historically on Steam would generate hype?

That's how badly Epic shit the bed.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Fallout 76's initial exclusivity was something to test the waters with. Glad they're bringing these to Steam as well. I was going to get them on the Bethesda Launcher but now that Steam's an option I'll go with that.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Not even Fortnite money can buy DOOM.
But seriously. As good as DOOM was, that game went on sale just a few months after launch. You could say DOOM ended up being kind of a slow burn sales wise, in no small part thanks to sales and the exposure you get with Steam.
Now, with DOOM ETERNAL, you could put it on Bethesda Launcher and all l 5 hardcore DOOM fans would buy it. Maybe a couple of "meh, the first was on sale on Steam and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME'S AWESOME" guys. But in general most people wouldn't give a shit because really, who has Bethesda's launcher installed on their PC?.

Now, why don't they put the game on EGS + Steam. That is the question. Did Steam threw money their way? Does Epic require exlusivity if you want to work with them for that sweet 12% cut? Am I drunk and posting nonsense cause I'm bored.

What about Stadia? They got ID to come on stage the other day.

Am I posting nonsense while drunk? That's the only thing for sure right now

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I rather play on Steam but options aren't a bad thing. They just need to improve their launcher, same goes for Microsoft and EA, etc.

Yeah for sure, options aren't bad. I mean hell, everyone is entitled to have their own store. I just want every pc game on as many fronts as possible and don't want to deal with their launcher and other issues. They could clean it up someday, never know. I avoided origin and Uplay like the plague for the longest then hopped on once they got their shit workways so anything is possible...

Except for Epic. Never touching that shit, but thats another story and I ain't tryin to derail

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I figured they would give within 2 months of release, not 2 months BEFORE release. But this is good. Will probably buy Rage 2 day one now.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on if they will force you to have a bethesda account and the launcher anyway? Like Uplay?

Oct 25, 2017
Physical copies will require a Bethesdanet account.

This sucks, I got a physical version of Doom because it activated on Steam, cost me €48 (vs €60 on Steam store) and came with a cacodemon stress toy (a pre-order bonus although I bought it day 1).

I'll be waiting for a sale on Rage 2, but I may need to just pay the full price for the new Doom.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Fantastic!

Any word on if they will force you to have a bethesda account and the launcher anyway? Like Uplay?
Honestly if it works as well as Uplay does through Steam it wouldn't be much of an issue for me for screenshot, Controller API and community features but it would be sad to miss out on Steam Achievements which unlike most people here it seems I still enjoy collecting.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's amazing?

This small gesture in the announcement of Steam store release is a PR win and helps the launch sale reach a full potential riding high from the good PR.

Imagine a fucking year ago I told you that a game being announced on Steam that was historically on Steam would generate hype?

That's how badly Epic shit the bed.
That's more Steam diehards shitting their pants because of something there's a competitor that went a route that wasn't easily ignorable.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And now they've just turned me into a day one buyer for Wolfenstein and Doom. Good job.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might get Rage 2 now, at least I know the process to get a refund will be easier if it sucks (never again getting a Bethesda game without a rock solid refund option).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really messed with the GoG launcher, but the only launcher that doesn't feel half assed compared to Steam is Uplay, and I like the fact that points you earn on playing games on Uplay can be applied to both in-game rewards and store discounts (although the US gets screwed on using the store discount compared to the UK who can use the discount on new releases). Even Origin launcher doesn't work well at 4k (tiny text) and feels lackluster compared to Steam. The Bethesda launcher is incredibly bare bones, lacks proper security, and has issues with downloading/uninstalling. A huge pass for me using that POS.

If the Steam release somehow includes Bethesda launcher, hopefully it wont rely on it for anything.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Great. Steam still has the best infrastructure and unique features such as big picture mode, definitely going to buy Wolfenstein games and DOOM on Steam.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Bethesda:
HT2Y.gif

ez

Peter4331

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Fuck yeah, I'm glad that Rage 2 will hopefully get more exposure and hoping it sells enough copies that we'll get more sequels in the future.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nice. Already bought RAGE 2 so I'll be playing it on Bethesda.net but DOOM Eternal, Cyberpilot and Youngblood are on Steam for me.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That's more Steam diehards shitting their pants because of something there's a competitor that went a route that wasn't easily ignorable.
Yeah, those awful people who want basic consumer-facing platform features that have been standard for a decade, and prefer not to support bought timed exclusivity on PC. How dare they.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those awful people who want basic consumer-facing platform features that have been standard for a decade, and prefer not to support bought timed exclusivity on PC. How dare they.
Sure, it's just people taking their stand on capitalism once they can't get their precious +1 on Steam with most bellyaching about stuff that would be no worse than having another icon on the tray.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Fantastic!

Honestly if it works as well as Uplay does through Steam it wouldn't be much of an issue for me for screenshot, Controller API and community features but it would be sad to miss out on Steam Achievements which unlike most people here it seems I still enjoy collecting.
If it works like Ubisoft games do then it would still have Steam achievements. (Unless I'm misremembering, I think Ubisoft games have both)

Sure, it's just people taking their stand on capitalism once they can't get their precious +1 on Steam with most bellyaching about stuff that would be no worse than having another icon on the tray.
Yeah, you have absolutely not the least fucking iota of a clue what you are talking about.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Tell that to the Chinese gamers that cant play the exclusive games. Or right now still South Koreans. Or people who want cloud saves. Or achievments. Or people like Hektor who wanna play the games on Linux.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to the Chinese gamers that cant play the exclusive games. Or right now still South Koreans. Or people who want cloud saves. Or achievments. Or people like Hektor who wanna play the games on Linux.
B-b-b-b-but they can use VPNs... and configure dropbox... and having achievements in a textfile that you can cross out... and Proton is not Steam exclusive...
Pelase just buy the games on EGS I fucking beg you... ;(

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you have absolutely not the least fucking iota of a clue what you are talking about.
I mean you can't be blind that people have gotten some symbiotic Matrix machine battery-like attachment to the platform that they hiss and claw at anything that tries to get them off it. Steam is great, but you can't deny a resistance from those that are otherwise unaffected simply because they're too comfortable with what they have.

I will tell all those Chinese and South Korean gamers I see complaining on English message boards, and people complaining about features that are not far off from showing up.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off, you have no idea what you are talking about.

- People have mad it clear they don't mind alternative launchers multiple times. We have multiple people on here championing the likes of GOG and Itch as launchers which try to positively impact the platform. I am one of those people.
- Over a third of Steam users literally cannot buy games on the Epic Store (Not available in China, not available on Linux, etc).
- Games which get exclusivity deals on the EGS also lose access to key functionality, like advanced controller support, cloud saves, etc.
- There are multiple security concerns with the Epic store (no email validation, the recent leak, user tracking, etc).
- People don't want to support bringing anti-consumer walled gardens to an open platform.

But yes, people are just mad because they can't get their +1. That's the reason.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Steam is great, but you can't deny a resistance from those that are otherwise unaffected simply because they're too comfortable with what they have.
Why would I care?
Everyone I know and who's opinion I care about does in fact have very good reasons why they prefer Steam over the Epic Games Store. And that's unsurprising, given just how shit EGS is comparatively, and how firmly anti-consumer Epic and the people associated with them have positioned themselves.

I will tell all those Chinese and South Korean gamers I see complaining on English message boards, and people complaining about features that are not far off from showing up.
Not having e.g. cloud saves on release of your gaming platform in 2019, as a massive engineering company, shows such a blatant underlying disregard in your decision-making processes for consumer-facing features that it doesn't spell well for the platform as a whole.
I also highly doubt that all the Steam features I use daily (literally) are "not far off from showing up".

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
GOOD shit. Don't even wanna bother with that Bethesda launcher until it's even somewhat decent.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, have to get a refund from Bethesda now, I preordered Rage 2 from the Bethesda launcher because I didn't think they would abandon their launcher so quickly.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017

Anyone arguing "it's just another launcher/icon" is being purposefully obtuse and ignorant at this point.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can't be blind that people have gotten some symbiotic Matrix machine battery-like attachment to the platform that they hiss and claw at anything that tries to get them off it. Steam is great, but you can't deny a resistance from those that are otherwise unaffected simply because they're too comfortable with what they have.

You realize you are talking to someone who lives in China yeah?
Also LMAO @ thinking that the features are coming. How deluded can you possibly be? They are taking months for a damn shopping cart .

I can bet 100$ right now that Epic won't ever have family sharing, extensive controller API or Proton-like compability with Linux

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Was starting to think I'd have to get the One X versions, because their games would stop releasing on Steam.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Elaborate in the first part please
Players residing in China and South Korea who then take to all the Era/Reddit/Whatever threads to complain about EGS (I imagine the crossover is very little!)

Oh fuck off, you have no idea what you are talking about.

- People have mad it clear they don't mind alternative launchers multiple times. We have multiple people on here championing the likes of GOG and Itch as launchers which try to positively impact the platform. I am one of those people.
- Over a third of Steam users literally cannot buy games on the Epic Store (Not available in China, not available on Linux, etc).
- Games which get exclusivity deals on the EGS also lose access to key functionality, like advanced controller support, cloud saves, etc.
- There are multiple security concerns with the Epic store (no email validation, the recent leak, user tracking, etc).
- People don't want to support bringing anti-consumer walled gardens to an open platform.

But yes, people are just mad because they can't get their +1. That's the reason.
GOG and itch also don't make any kind of dent in mindspace. GOG is currently having a huge spring sale. No thread about it on here. I wonder why?

And I can't reiterate this enough: Steam is great. That is why things like controller support are a non-issue because it's platform agnostic. Use it anywhere. You're not tied down. I can get cloud saves being an issue as well, but they are coming, and the case of them being of significant importance in that time isn't that crazy--

Wait, hol' up. I just noticed this all became an EGS thing when I didn't even bring it up lol.

Why would I care?
Everyone I know and who's opinion I care about does in fact have very good reasons why they prefer Steam over the Epic Games Store. And that's unsurprising, given just how shit EGS is comparatively, and how firmly anti-consumer Epic and the people associated with them have positioned themselves.

Not having e.g. cloud saves on release of your gaming platform in 2019, as a massive engineering company, shows such a blatant underlying disregard in your decision-making processes for consumer-facing features that it doesn't spell well for the platform as a whole.
I also highly doubt that all the Steam features I use daily (literally) are "not far off from showing up".
You brought up cloud saves. Well, that's in the pipe. A lot of the Steam things you use are also available outside of Steam (or have alternatives that are better than Steam's implementation). This isn't me challenging you to list your specific Steam use-case, if you find all of its features of utmost value for every game, that's fine.

Anyone arguing "it's just another launcher/icon" is being purposefully obtuse and ignorant at this point.
Eh. It's PC gaming. If there's a will, there's a way, and I'm not trying to downplay some legit concerns, but there's a lot of fanboying in the mix that I have to roll my eyes towards constantly (not saying this applies to the ones I'm quoting).

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It's PC gaming. If there's a will, there's a way, and I'm not trying to downplay some legit concerns, but there's a lot of fanboying in the mix that I have to roll my eyes towards constantly (not saying this applies to the ones I'm quoting).

No, that is exactly what you are doing.

As soon as you trotted out the same tired talking points about switching launchers.