• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzards games has never been available on Steam on or any other services.
All of Bethesdas games have been on Steam, until very recently.

Battle.net also works with much less issues then Bethesdas' launcher.

Thanks for the information. I'm still unsure how that would change things though. Bethesda owns their games. Same as Blizzard. Same as Valve. So the issue is that Rage and DOOM (2016) were on Steam and their sequels won't be.

I am certainly not a fan of Bethesda and how they release their games and the state of said games but really this level of vitriol, not just here, but elsewhere about this topic confuses me.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the information. I'm still unsure how that would change things though. Bethesda owns their games. Same as Blizzard. Same as Valve. So the issue is that Rage and DOOM (2016) were on Steam and their sequels won't be.

I am certainly not a fan of Bethesda and how they release their games and the state of said games but really this level of vitriol, not just here, but elsewhere about this topic confuses me.

Not saying anything about that will change things, but it makes a different in peoples expecations on Bethesda compared to Blizzard.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
This is going well so far...

OHEqC7o.png

I hope they see this feedback and decide to launch Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood also on Steam.

I just realised that this will be another Mass Effect situation where they split up the games between two different platforms. Want the whole Wolfenstein trilogy on Steam? Sorry you gotta use the shitty Bethesda Launcher to get closure on the story.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I hope they see this feedback and decide to launch Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood also on Steam.

I just realised that this will be another Mass Effect situation where they split up the games between two different platforms. Want the whole Wolfenstein trilogy on Steam? Sorry you gotta use the shitty Bethesda Launcher to get closure on the story.

They won`t listen to our feedback, but I`m fairly confident that people are going to ignore their single player games on the Bethesda Launcher.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

They don't care about feedback. This announcement was made even after the whole Fallout 76 shitshow.

The only way they back out of this is if the games bomb on PC.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True.But i have some feeling they will try to make Cyberpunk 2077 GOG exclusive,that game will be massive and they know it....we'll see.

Back in the day, when I was given the choice of buying Witcher 2 on Steam or Witcher 2 on GOG, I decided for the GOG version because it benefited me more as the consumer due:

1. No DRM
  2. Lower price due regional changes (It was when GOG knew that 1€ =/= 1$)
  3. Extra games offered on GOG
  4. Could easily integrate as a "Non Steam Game" on Steam
I opted for GOG. This is the kind of competition we want. If they did a forced "GOG ONLY" it would suck. A lot.
But at least GOG games integrate easily with Steam universe features, unlike the other launchers.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Yeah that would definitely have better success, Thronebreaker isn't exactly AAA game to begin with nor a "system seller". Great game though.

Yeah,Cyberpunk will definitely be "system seller".They would be crazy not to try to make it GOG exclusive,at least for the first 6 months-1 year or so.Remains to be seen,of course.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't think CDPR is the type to do that, especially after already announcing for steam. They'll just make the game cheaper on GoG like they did with Witcher.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah,Cyberpunk will definitely be "system seller".They would be crazy not to try to make it GOG exclusive,at least for the first 6 months-1 year or so.Remains to be seen,of course.
It's odd that people still don't understand that CDPR doesn't think like your traditional greedy game companies. CDPR wants their games to be experienced by as many people as possible with fewest hurdles and be available on as many platforms as possible, and not locked down behind one walled garden.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
GoG does DRM free games, lets you download the game from web browser without even using the cclient, and for places where a publisher would normally charge a higher price than US (like Australia) they still price the game the same as US and pay the difference out of their own pockets so as to keep prices the same everywhere. Ofc this means third world countries have to pay the same as US prices and that's not optimal but you can't have both.

But yes this is not the kind of platform that will do exclusivity.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I am skipping it. Not touching the mess that is the Bethesda launcher. If one day they get better like uPlay and Origin maybe I will think about it.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It's odd that people still don't understand that CDPR doesn't think like your traditional greedy game companies. CDPR wants their games to be experienced by as many people as possible with fewest hurdles and be available on as many platforms as possible, and not locked down behind one walled garden.

There are people that actually want games to be exclusive to specific platforms. It's pretty crazy. It makes slightly more sense on consoles because you need to justify your hardware purchase but on PC, it makes no sense at all.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
You can do this with AppX/UWP already since RS3 I think, it's not specifically an MSIX feature. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ap.../uwp-app-installs-from-web-via-app-installer/
oh nice. /TheMoreYouKnow

does appx also have the ability to do silent updates without a storefront? I know they demonstrated that in one of the msix talks. I would love to just buy and download a piece of software from something like Amazon.com and then not have anything else to manage app updates.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will probably hit Steam at a later date. Either way I'm gonna pass. I wouldn't use Bethesda's launcher after everything that has happened the past few weeks.
Oh well, money saved.
Welp, there goes what little interest I had in it.
I can't handle all of this positive competition for consumers.

This went from a buy on PC to maybe a redbox/gamefly rental on console now. Congrats Bethesda you played yourself.
Yet another one off my list.

Heh.
Skipping it then.

I would even buy it on Epics store, but i'm not gonna trust Bethesda to handle my private information tyvm.
Meh, guess i'm skipping it then.
Lmao..went from maybe to never
I will skip it then.
Well, that's a way of making sure i never buy the game.
Thanks for the help Rage 2.
Sheesh, this makes it a lot easier to pass up until a huge sale.
Why?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
is not being on steam REALLY that much of a deterrant? I think steam is becoming a piece of shit lately. All the shovelware being put on it really devalues the platform imo. plus if you really want too you can add it as a shortcut.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
is not being on steam REALLY that much of a deterrant? I think steam is becoming a piece of shit lately. All the shovelware being put on it really devalues the platform imo. plus if you really want too you can add it as a shortcut.

It is when the alternative is a company that doesn't care about customer data, either by outright stealing it (Epic) or incompetence (Bethesda).

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
This platform stuff can go two ways. It'll end up becoming profitable for these developers, or it will backfire, and we will see an uptick on piracy of these exclusive games. People have invested far too much money on Steam to swap their platform.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I wish companies would take GOG as a great example of how to offer good competition.

I buy all my older games through GOG because they are simply better than the Steam versions (by some distance in particular instances because of the way GOG have optimised them for modern hardware) and I also would choose to buy DRM free at any given opportunity over Steam as a personal preference.

I just don't see the value in limiting consumer choice, although Bethesda are entitled to do whatever they please with titles they have personally developed, I take no issue with that but I still think it's a poor business decision for them and bad for consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.