• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm grateful we have competition with a terrible launcher. I'm okay with the complete lack of features. No refund is fine too. Data breach through tickets is good too. At least, we have competition.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Eh, at least you can understand if the person has only a Switch this is about a different Icon on your PC.

Incredible.

It isnt about a different icon on the PC.

Its about BPM.
Its about Streaming.
Its about Linux support.
Its about a downloader that doesnt destroy your system (see FO76).
Its about a client that doesnt give out my information (Beth Launcher).
Its about a client where I can buy in my currency instead of paying twice or three times as much.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are selling any games besides a couple few. What's the point?
The point for them is that they don't have to pay anybody else a cut. The point for you is that unless they back down you'll HAVE to play it on their store if you want to play it on PC at all. So, who has the position of strength here?

I wonder if DOOM Eternal will launch on Steam
I don't think you wonder. I think you know what the answer is already.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, at least you can understand if the person has only a Switch this is about a different Icon on your PC.

Incredible.

pZQ8KVA.gif

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm dying. A game like this releasing exclusively on their shitty launchers?
This thread reminds me of BO4 on bnet and how it meant cratering sales and Activision hating money

We saw how that turned out. People will get the games they want where they are. Rage is probably not going to be the one game to bring them over but Doom Eternal and TES6 are going to ensure the store's success

Activision knew what they were doing. They didn't release the Crash Bandicoot Collection or their upcoming AAA single player game on Battle.net.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Good luck with that shitty launcher of yours Bethesda.

Do you really think people will trust you after the Fallout 76 disaster?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be some kind of universal game launcher if they want people to use all these services. I hate having to run steam to launch games even though I have tons of games on other services I barely play them because it's too much of a hassle managing all these launchers.
They don't want you on a universal game launcher. They want you on THEIR game launcher. Not paying a cut is only part of the reason they want this. They want the capture of you and as many people as possible as customers for their fledgling store. They want you to see everything they advertise every day.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
No steam no buy, not using that piece of crap of a launcher. Also skipping doom 2 too, hope you enjoy losing customer Bethesda

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Main reason for me and a lot of people to hate games outside of steam:
- Stores not using currencies of the country I am buying it from (I dont pay for games in dollar here in Brazil, but my own currency. This means I pay less than the normal game price most of the time and don´t pay extra taxes).
- Refunding is super easy on Steam.
- Friend List/Games already on Steam.

So, yeah, a game not available also on Steam is a fucking pain in the ass.

I absolutely feel for you but unfortunately a lot of the people that parrot "more competition is good" don't give a shit or think about users in eastern europe or south america where the pricing is adjusted.

This thread reminds me of BO4 on bnet and how it meant cratering sales and Activision hating money

We saw how that turned out. People will get the games they want where they are. Rage is probably not going to be the one game to bring them over but Doom Eternal and TES6 are going to ensure the store's success

Never had an issue using battle.net but that's more because I been playing blizzard games since Starcraft: BW.

As for Black Ops 4, as an owner of the game and master prestige a week ago, the population is already starting to decrease. Takes longer to find matches in the less popular playlists and I usually play from 8pm - 11pm EST. On top of this, they just allow you to buy the game with just MP and Blackout for a reduced price just two months after launch. Didn't do that for Black Ops 3 on steam until 3 months after. The microtransactions are objectively worse than the previous three CoD games including the loot box infested BO3. I'll just leave it at that.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that shitty launcher of yours Bethesda.

Do you really think people will trust you after the Fallout 76 disaster?
This will probably work against Rage 2. But if you think gamers will remain resolute when this is the only way to play TES VI, Starfield, and Doom, you are sadly mistaken. If there are any Bethesda franchises you love, then you can bet on it being a matter of time until those games are used to drag you to their launcher. Sooner or later, they will probably get you. They're counting on it.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
so they decided to open preorders today on the Bethesda launcher

- after the neverending mess that Fallout76 brough to the world
- another post-apocalyptic FPS game, with a similar aesthetic and garish vibrant colours is announced

bold

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that the launcher that made people download Fallout 76 all over again once its servers went live? Making pre-load basically useless?

What are you even up to Bethesda? C'mon.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
So people won't buy a gam Euston because it's not on steam ? Seems a tad stupid to me. Just buy it if you want to play it !

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
After all the fucking effort behind Steam Proton. Playing on Ultra Wolfen2 and DOOM without Bethesda doing anything to support them on Linux, and still they will do this?

Now that we could finally choose the OS of our computers if we play on them. Now everyone does this.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the above, it isn't like I'm not playing games from other launchers. I'm playing FH4, battlefield v, oculus games, iRacing. They are all from different places. To be honest what makes me mad is that I don't want to deal with another fucking launcher. It's selfish and dumb but I just want to stay on steam for most of these games. It's hypocritical but I just roll my eyes at these epic and Bethesda exclusive games and just go "well I'm not going to play those I guess."

Im sure one stupid fucking thing like Doom will force me over or something. Ugh.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Main reason for me and a lot of people to hate games outside of steam:
- Stores not using currencies of the country I am buying it from (I dont pay for games in dollar here in Brazil, but my own currency. This means I pay less than the normal game price most of the time and don´t pay extra taxes).
- Refunding is super easy on Steam.
- Friend List/Games already on Steam.

So, yeah, a game not available also on Steam is a fucking pain in the ass.

This. I could never afford all my Steam games if wasn't for regional prices

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After all the fucking effort behind Steam Proton. Playing on Ultra Wolfen2 and DOOM without Bethesda doing anything to support them on Linux, and still they will do this?

Now that we could finally choose the OS of our computers if we play on them. Now everyone does this.
The problem with being magnanimous is that you can't count on anyone else to return the favour. Nothing Steam has done for PC as a platform in the past will mean shit when publishers examine whether or not they can make more money in the future by moving off it.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 'no Steam no buy' movement is one of the cringiest in gaming.

No, posts like that are. Why should people who were looking towards rage 2 buy it now when bethesda's own launcher isn't even safe for consumer's private data or are you conveniently forgetting already what happened with the 76 fiasco when people requested replacement bags? Or how about bethesda's abhorrent refund policy?

I swear to god if you say buy a console I'm gonna report your ass for trolling. fucking dumbass comment.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017

Competition my dude!!! I'm sure Bethesda gonna release linux version or maybe even a Steam link competitor....

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am more likely to pay a monthly fee for game pass or Orgin Premium than buy a game on a new launcher as I will forget I own it after I beat it anyways. So it will be cheaper to just pay the monthly fee and beat it there.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Isn't that the launcher that made people download Fallout 76 all over again once its servers went live? Making pre-load basically useless?

What are you even up to Bethesda? C'mon.

It's the launcher that's so broken, Bethesda send a warning not to use it.
It's the launcher that repeatedly forgets about your games installation and redownloads the game
It's the launcher where bethesda devs forgot to implement an uninstall button
It's the storefront that leaks your personal data if you've ever used their support

It's basically the same as steam, with a different icon.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Annoying, but I'm still in. I can understand companies getting tired of the 30% steam cut, but I really hate that they are going this route. At least this isn't as scummy as Epic games buying out already announced steam/windows store releases at the last minute. They can fuck off with that garbage.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not after they earned so much good will with Fallout 76...

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People don't want to manage a dozen shitty desktop launchers/store fronts with multiple accounts/passwords/2FA

This is the main reason, it's not about features and it never was. Bethesda could have the best launcher by a mile and ppl would still yell for a steam version. Ppl gonna accept it if besethsa sticks with their strategy tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.