• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game have a story and characters? That was Rage 1's best qualities, the world was filled with detail

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a worthy successor to Rage: Boring car combat, great FPS gameplay. Even though this is nothing like what I wanted from a Rage 2, I am still pretty excited.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While its no where near the original Rage - a highly underappreciated game - Rage 2 looks like a lot of fun, but not enough for me to pick it up. If it where done a bit more serious like the original and kept its art style intact I would have def picked it up. Rage 2 unfortunately looks like it has more in common with bullet storm mixed with Far cry 5 than Rage

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I expect a DOOM situation where the game doesn't set the world on fire and it's ok sales wise but good word of mouth will eventually lead to very decent numbers.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im genuinley excited for this. The combat looks like a ton of fun, and really kinetic, like doom 2016. I hope the vehicle stuff is better than the first game

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
You mind me asking how the enemy AI is? The demo might not be representative but it was one of the aspects that really made me appreciate the original.
All the awesome AI and hit reactions are intact. I had one enemy catch a grenade in midair and throw it back at me. Shit's cool.

Fuck where was the demo at Pax!? I was there on Sunday and didn't see it
It wasn't on the show floor. It was at Bethesda's separate "show" in the Westin Hotel lobby connected to the convention center.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Crysis, Mad Max, Bulletstorm and Borderlands spawned an unholy offspring

Looks fun

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Driving looks boring as fuck. Rest looks really good, I feel some Bulletstorm inspiration in the wacky weapons and powers that send enemies flying.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The FPS shooting combat looks great with a lot of fun abilities and weapons against a fairly diverse and well done set of enemies. The driving on the other hand looks really poor in comparison. Feels like the vehicles are moving in slow motion except for those really awkward looking dodges with a lot of lock on combat against enemies that barely seem to react.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
2 things... I love that you can melee back grenades and that the Grav-Dart Launcher is like the Magnet Gun from Red Faction. That's possibly the most fun I've had with a gun, ever.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The vehicle combat is a massive turn off. Hopefully it's optional or a minimal part of the experience.Hopefully

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
And it's on Steam too so day 1. Bethesda has a lot of shitty things going on but their single player investment has been insanely good.

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the vehicle stuff looked pretty dull. There do seem to be a lot of different vehicle options including some with vertical movement, so that stuff might end up being a bit more fun, but one kind of wishes that they'd just left vehicles out and clustered the activities closer together so vehicle travel between them didn't feel necessary.

I'd love to see a game like this incorporate, like, public transit as opposed to player controlled vehicles. Has there ever been an open-world map that you could navigate through pre-set bus and train routes that follow a particular schedule? I feel like that could be a really fun layer to add to this type of game. The trains in RDR2 are probably the closest thing, but I'd like to see someone take that even farther.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good. I wasn't really interested in this game due to how bad the last one ended, but this game play looks pretty tight.

Oct 27, 2017
I have faith in the driving. Driving in Mad Max looked bad on pre release videos but in the game it was actually really engaging, plenty of weight and great physics so I trust them to get it right. The shooting looks great, the whole thing looks a ton of fun.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have we seen anything scripted yet? This looks like it's going to be stale af 3 hours in. Always just outposts with the shitty looking driving in between.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
All this shitting on the driving. If it feels anything like the Mad Max game they made and has the customisation, it's going to be great. It's 50% the reason why I'm looking forward to this game.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Don't really like the direction they took with this one. And I can't unsee that pop-in

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't know what platform i have to choose for this game, Ps4 pro with unstable framerate or pc with bethesda store, mmm...

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
This genuinely looks pretty fun, though I'm probably still gonna wait on reviews. Have they revealed the voice of the woman protagonist yet?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looks great, lots of fun and very "punchy" sounds. Though the shadow filtering is extremely poor as you can see it switch to low resolution filtering literally 1m ahead of you. But that's fine, it's an open world 60FPS game with lots of things going on and it actually looks pretty decent graphically overall to boot with lots of density .

Also calling it now, people will call the game unoptimised and poor/sub par because it'll run at like 900P or lower on base consoles....even if the framerate is rock solid and the actual visuals/shaders etc are good.

i mean the engine is rather poor and we have several games now demonstrating how poor it is

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely skipping it now, it looks like they doubled down on what I didnlt like in Rage 1 (the open world and excessive driving).

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i don´t know...have the feeling this will be discounted in no time. the car sections look awful, the open world has only spots where the action happens and between there is a lot of dull driving.

will maybe buy for 20 bucks, knowing Bethesda games it won´t be too long before this happens.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I have to say, none of that looked all that impressive.

The levels look meh. Very flat, not really working in the mobility stuff, a mix of bland layout and tight connecting corridors. Not quite like military manblaster, but also not combat bowl like Doom; a weird and unsatisfying blend.

The mobility is kinda like one of the Future CoDs: fine, and yeah, I guess more fun and applicable here than it would be to have nothing, but not like, say, Titanfall's traversal. The jumping seemed floaty, which was fine.

The weapons seemed pretty standard except for the magnetic thing - which seems neat, but also exactly like the sort of thing that would show up in a demo pre-release but be deemed completely impractical during actual gameplay.

The abilities are whatever: we have the shield, which is fine, if a bit basic; the groundpound, which, yeah, same thing; and the super mode, which is...faster firing and health regen? Booooooooooooooooooooring. The most interesting part was the defib sequence. I guess the focus stuff has potential; I wish it was explained more.

The enemies, Rage's previously strongest aspect, had no time to shine here whatsoever. Mutants who rush towards the player. A mini-boss who seems to just be Guy With Gun. Big clobber enemies. Nothing there stood out.

TBH it kinda seems like everything is half assed..? I didn't even get the sense of colorful bombast that previous trailers have given me, or that smoky intensity of Rage 1. A weak showing all around.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Looks insanely fun. Might pick it up day one.

I don't care about the driving. I think driving in a game is boring whatever it feels like. Just make it as easy and arcady as possible and I'm fine.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Wow, I have to say, none of that looked all that impressive.

The levels look meh. Very flat, not really working in the mobility stuff, a mix of bland layout and tight connecting corridors. Not quite like military manblaster, but also not combat bowl like Doom; a weird and unsatisfying blend.

The mobility is kinda like one of the Future CoDs: fine, and yeah, I guess more fun and applicable here than it would be to have nothing, but not like, say, Titanfall's traversal. The jumping seemed floaty, which was fine.

The weapons seemed pretty standard except for the magnetic thing - which seems neat, but also exactly like the sort of thing that would show up in a demo pre-release but be deemed completely impractical during actual gameplay.

The abilities are whatever: we have the shield, which is fine, if a bit basic; the groundpound, which, yeah, same thing; and the super mode, which is...faster firing and health regen? Booooooooooooooooooooring. The most interesting part was the defib sequence. I guess the focus stuff has potential; I wish it was explained more.

The enemies, Rage's previously strongest aspect, had no time to shine here whatsoever. Mutants who rush towards the player. A mini-boss who seems to just be Guy With Gun. Big clobber enemies. Nothing there stood out.

TBH it kinda seems like everything is half assed..? I didn't even get the sense of colorful bombast that previous trailers have given me, or that smoky intensity of Rage 1. A weak showing all around.
I agree, I did not like it all.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
i mean the engine is rather poor and we have several games now demonstrating how poor it is

"Several Games" being Just Cause 3 which tried to overachieve and Just Cause 4 which tried to focus on performance while doing things no other game does obviously had to sacrifice in visuals. Mad Max is another game that used it and it's one of the best performing modern titles out there for how it looks, on PC and consoles both.

Additionally there have been no other game that targets open world and 60FPS since MGSV.

These are all trade offs and there is nothing bad about the engine inherently, if you think there is then I'd like you to name one alternative that has achieved anything that any of these games have while looking and running better.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Errr... might pick this up late that driving mechanic looks really bad.

I just want it to be as fun as DOOM

DOOM's gameplay is fun, but also extremely repetitive and to arcadey in my opinion. The gore nest mechanic is such a lame excuse for spawning waves of enemies. I would've dug DOOM much more if it had a slightly more realistic approach with a stronger narrative. I get why people like it, but I got bored quickly.

Rage 2 seems to provide more variation, thankfully.