• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I can already see it, people are going to be like "typical Bethesda not marketing the game" when/if Rage 2 doesn't sell well. It'll make no sense since the marketing for this game has been out there for a while now, but I think people expect every game to have Sony exclusive or Rockstar type marketing. This game has adverts on buses and billboards, on Youtube, there's new trailers every week, a very heavy social media presence etc.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
But.... The markering has been on point. They keep releasing gameplay videos all the time. Plus a bunch of wacky trailers for the past couple of months... So why is Paul Tassi acting like there is no marketing for this?

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Wow, not impressed at all with how Bethesda handled that. Puts me off their games a little bit if I'm honest.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was coming out this year, but haven't seen anyone talk about just how soon it'll be like what tends to happen with other titles. I guess it's because I haven't actively sought out new information about the game.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a click-bait title.

I don't find it hard he didn't know the release date. I work videogame retail and I found out about it this week because I remembered to check if I should still have the pre-order up.

I find that he should have known the release date - same as me - but the fact that he didn't - and I didn't - kinda makes a point on its own.

The social media response was lame as shit and a wasted opportunity.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Don't paraphrase people, be direct. We are only saying we see the ads everywhere on websites and youtube. And then asking the people saying they don't see them if they are running ad blockers.

It's not the developers faults if you are blocking the ads they are running in order to get to you. That's YOUR doing in that case. And I would imagine you would be fine with it, seeing as that's the very point of running said adblockers.

Sure, happy to respond directly. I would not think occam's razor for this statement leads you to "people must be using ad blockers". But I apologise if the statement on it being "our fault" was levelled specifically at ad blockers...the response read much more general than that and that's how I took it.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I watched the launch trailer and still couldn't tell you the release date.

Game looks fun but the marketing has failed it for me, the attitude of each trailer deflates my excitement, its so obnoxious that I end up rolling my eyes instead of taking in the important details.

I hope the game strikes a better balance between fun and serious.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I could blame myself for not knowing the release because I keep skipping that ads on YouTube. But the reason I skip it is mostly because it's just loud, in your face, edgy, try hard bs that forces me to skip it.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was so soon until it popped up on a trophy website and I saw there were a bunch of random people in Europe already playing it

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I find it really difficult to believe that on a forum like this, this many people didn't know the release date for a game made by both ID and Avalanche.
The idea that someone who does this 14 hours a day had no idea about the release date is laughable. You would have to be very poor at your job to miss it.

For a casual gamer? Plausible.

For a heavy gamer? Unlikely. There are the dashboard ads on console, digital store ads, YT content, Twitter feeds, etc.

For a professional? Impossible. Bethesda's PR team has sent out comms to streamers, influencers, and media.

The first two sentences of the story contradict each other.
Rage 2 has had a plethora of trailers with release dates attached, has had "what is Rage 2" videos, an active social media account, regularly gets YouTube ads, and at least here in London has a bunch of billboards in the underground.

Zero marketing? Lol who even are you
Yup, I really don't get it.

Are people just not reading the forum they post on or something? It weirds me out how many people are saying they didn't know it's releasing on the 14th.
It's Forbes though. What do you expect? He hasn't played the first and hasn't been following the 2nd. Of course he doesn't know the release date. I've seen Rage 2 trailers and ads everywhere. I can't escape the neon pink. If I'm interested in a game I follow it. If I'm not, I don't. No need to write an article about it.

So this was a Rage related announcement made yesterday.

D6Ohu-RX4AIm4Ba.jpg

This came from a tweet and neither this image or the tweet text indicated this game was coming out in 4 days. Every form of marketing material they have should at this point mention the release date they committed to and considering this one example I suspect many other pieces of their ad campaign is lacking this information after the officially gave a release date in a press release.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
thats is really crazy then. it has not showed up in my feed once! Most releases like this are everywhere on the store. Ive never seen it on steam. I wonder whats up with that.
It's only been up on Steam for a month or so. Pretty sure they had a frontpage ad tho when they annouced it was coming to Steam.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It's only been up on Steam for a month or so. Pretty sure they had a frontpage ad tho when they annouced it was coming to Steam.

Thanks. I must have missed the ad. I usually browse the store while logged in, but never saw it. Ive even been playing borderlands 2 for the last two weeks. And I have a ton of time in fallout 4. I wonder why it hasnt shown up.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I see it all over the place, but then again it's on stores selling the game.

I don't know how anyone who plays and writes about games for a living didn't know it existed until just recently?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I see it all over the place, but then again it's on stores selling the game.

I don't know how anyone who plays and writes about games for a living didn't know it existed until just recently?
That's just it. The writer of the article knew the game existed and was looking forward to it, but wasn't aware that it's releasing in less than a week.
I can't blame him, because I'm also interested in the game, and yet its release-date snuck up on me too.

Whatever advertising Bethesda is doing has failed to communicate what the release-date is, which is kinda embarrassing for such a huge publisher.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
That's just it. The writer of the article knew the game existed and was looking forward to it, but wasn't aware that it's releasing in less than a week.
I can't blame him, because I'm also interested in the game, and yet its release-date snuck up on me too.

Whatever advertising Bethesda is doing has failed to communicate what the release-date is, which is kinda embarrassing for such a huge publisher.

I just double checked some stores and you're right. Rage 2 is featured, but they all simply say to preorder now. No mention of a release date.

I don't get Bethesda. Looks like a great game, so it'd be a shame if it stumbled because of them.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Did actually check out the release date earlier this week and was surprised it was next week, kind of on the lookout for this game but something about it just feels off so far so im waiting for reviews to form a better idea if i should buy or not

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I didn't know this was out soon, never mind next week.

That's garbage marketing if I know of the game, know that it's a thing that exists, have seen it advertised, but didn't pick up a release date.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody else get the feeling like Bethesda aren't treating this game like a tent-pole release? Idk why but I think they are sending this game out to die. I hope I am wrong because I bought the 1st game 8 years ago and regretted it immediately. I've seen some previews and the map looks super small for an open world game.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
thats is really crazy then. it has not showed up in my feed once! Most releases like this are everywhere on the store. Ive never seen it on steam. I wonder whats up with that.

It is currently the #1 game for me at the top of Steam in the featured and recommended section and I'm not even really into these types of games. It is also #2 in my top sellers list.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Rather uncalled for and all-round lame to boot.

Chalk me up as not knowing the game was coming out soon despite being mildly interested in it.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm confused by the premise of the OP, how is this clickbait? I had no idea it was coming out so soon

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yup, news popup and all. Was quite a big deal that Beth announced that DOOM, RAGE 2 and Wolfenstein would all release on Steam at launch, plus the fact that Fallout 76 will arrive later this year too. Before that announcement they were all planned to be Beth Launcher exclusives.

Since that announcement my Store page has always opened with the game in the first focus spot. Even when I check Steam without logging in it's there.
I thought oneils was joking or something with the reply to my post due to the history of the game not coming to Steam and then being plastered all over the place since the announcement. :D

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Yup, news popup and all. Was quite a big deal that Beth announced that DOOM, RAGE 2 and Wolfenstein would all release on Steam at launch, plus the fact that Fallout 76 will arrive later this year too. Before that announcement they were all planned to be Beth Launcher exclusives.

Since that announcement my Store page has always opened with the game in the first focus spot. Even when I check Steam without logging in it's there.
I thought oneils was joking or something with the reply to my post due to the history of the game not coming to Steam and then being plastered all over the place since the announcement. :D

lol, no wasnt a joke. I honestly never saw it there, which is really surprising to me. I finally see it under featured and recommended. Must be because its coming out next week.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

D6Ohu-RX4AIm4Ba.jpg

This came from a tweet and neither this image or the tweet text indicated this game was coming out in 4 days. Every form of marketing material they have should at this point mention the release date they committed to and considering this one example I suspect many other pieces of their ad campaign is lacking this information after the officially gave a release date in a press release.

When I see those charts they totally un-sold me the game and push me wait one year later for the cheap GOTY edition....

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by the premise of the OP, how is this clickbait? I had no idea it was coming out so soon
Clearly everyone who spends an inordinate amount of time on anything related to video games needs to know that Bethesda's Rage 2 releases in 3 days. Pre-order now to own the journalists!

Oct 25, 2017
The tone of their trailers is so horrible that I avoid them like the plague. Only learned it was coming out soon a couple of days ago from a friend. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

D6Ohu-RX4AIm4Ba.jpg

Sounds like they just want people to wait for the "GOTY" edition in 9 months or so.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The edge of social media is as dull as the first knife my dad gave me as a kid.
This doesn't work for me, because the first knife my dad gave me was a pocket knife I accidentally cut myself with, and then promptly gave back because I realized I wasn't ready for one yet lol.

Personal off topic aside, retort is a tiny bit funny but yeah that's definitely a dull reply.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's still here, infact it's the very first thing on the front page ad for me
KozEbCf.png