• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paul Tassi is a permanent gaming analyst at Forbes who has written some incredibly insightful articles on the industry and is definitely worth a read.

RAGE 2 is a Bethesda singleplayer title that, like its predecessors, has suffered from almost zero marketing effort. And is now apparently trying to bury that fact by miming Era's habit of arrogant and unwarranted Forbes-bashing.

Pretty pathetic tbh.
Rage 2 has had a plethora of trailers with release dates attached, has had "what is Rage 2" videos, an active social media account, regularly gets YouTube ads, and at least here in London has a bunch of billboards in the underground.

Zero marketing? Lol who even are you

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I find it really difficult to believe that on a forum like this, this many people didn't know the release date for a game made by both ID and Avalanche.

Yup, I really don't get it.

Are people just not reading the forum they post on or something? It weirds me out how many people are saying they didn't know it's releasing on the 14th.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
To be fair, didn't Jason leak Fallout 4 back in 2015. Although I think Bethesda blacklisted them back in 2013 for whatever reason.

Kotaku has also leaked, or corroborated leaked details, of every Assassin's Creed game for the past seventy years it feels like, but I'm pretty sure they have some semblance of a working relationship with Ubisoft.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Has the meaning of clickbait changed and nobody told me? Because the headline is not clickbait.

Or the term 'clickbait' has just devolved into: 'someone wrote something I don't like/agree. Therefore, is clickbait'?

Jan 15, 2018
I am actually very interested in Rage 2 and I also didn't know that it's coming out in a week lol

Same thing happened with Prey and Wolf 2

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
It's Forbes though. What do you expect? He hasn't played the first and hasn't been following the 2nd. Of course he doesn't know the release date. I've seen Rage 2 trailers and ads everywhere. I can't escape the neon pink. If I'm interested in a game I follow it. If I'm not, I don't. No need to write an article about it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Safe to say that this thread isn't going exactly like OP planned, eh.

Anyway, I had no idea about the Trump/Zenimax connection and supporting Zenimax now feels pretty bad, so that's a great way to wrap my Friday.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Kotaku has also leaked, or corroborated leaked details, of every Assassin's Creed game for the past seventy years it feels like, but I'm pretty sure they have some semblance of a working relationship with Ubisoft.
That's fair. Ubisoft is Ubisoft and Bethesda is Bethesda at the end of the day, though. It's entirely within Bethesda's prerogative to blacklist any outlet that decides to spearhead and break the news on any of their upcoming projects.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Are people just not reading the forum they post on or something? It weirds me out how many people are saying they didn't know it's releasing on the 14th.

Even tho our community loves and follows the game industry, not everyone really follows all the big games. Release dates are def not one of the most memorable parts of marketing. I think most people don't know when a game comes out until they see the OT pop up. Personally, I only follow a few games.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Very little marketing. I have it pre ordered but I keep forgetting it's out like next week.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
rage 2's marketing has been trash tier. like, i can't think of the last time a marketing campaign has managed to put me off a game i was actually kinda excited for so thoroughly without pulling a CDPR.

if the people i actually follow for games criticism have nice things to say about it, i'll still consider giving it a look once my exams are over--but that'll be entirely in spite of the marketing, which really isn't what you want from, well, marketing.

PSA since the game's marketing has been doing such a good job of keeping this a secret, to the point where at least a couple of people are surprised every time i bring it up (in threads attached to trailers for the game!):

you can play as a woman, and she's voiced by Amanda C. Miller/Sailor Jupiter.

if it wasn't for that little piece of info, i'd have written rage 2 off months ago.

Last edited:

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see rage 2 trailers on YouTube multiple times a day and i didnt know the release date.

Bethesda started this gen a hero. But i guess they lived long enough to become a villain. Incredibly childish

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Bad thread title, and the response was incredibly dumb and childish. And I agree with the article -- I'm constantly reading about video games and I didn't know this game was coming out so soon. The marketing campaign clearly underserved the title.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty wack, but so is ever corporate twitter that tries to be edgy. It's such a boring/lazy marketing strategy these days.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Dumb reply and dumb post, OP.

"Clickbait" lol. Maybe stop trying to be so righteous and learn what that means?

And the title is completely right - marketing for this has been terrible. Some playground tier bullying by the twitter account, nice job overly defensive PR guy.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair, didn't Jason leak Fallout 4 back in 2015. Although I think Bethesda blacklisted them back in 2013 for whatever reason.
Jason doesn't work for Bethesda, he can't leak anything. He reported on the contents of the script from a casting call that was sent to him.

The idea that someone who does this 14 hours a day had no idea about the release date is laughable. You would have to be very poor at your job to miss it.

For a casual gamer? Plausible.

For a heavy gamer? Unlikely. There are the dashboard ads on console, digital store ads, YT content, Twitter feeds, etc.

For a professional? Impossible. Bethesda's PR team has sent out comms to streamers, influencers, and media.

The first two sentences of the story contradict each other.
So you just think he's lying with no evidence then.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I did lose track of the release date and now I guess I'll wait for when its on sale during the holidays.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
That article was more of a blog post than an article with the only message being "I didn't know it was coming out even though I searched for news stories". It's pretty bad but that response is worse, their Rage twitter has been this edgy for a while now to fit the game's personality I guess.

Don't use your game's twitter account as a persona, people.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Corporate twitter nonsense aside, I wonder how much money Bethesda saves by not marketing their games "properly?" It has to be an intentional strategy by this point.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah I agree I went to preorder on the ps store n was shocked that it says available in 5 days. I really didn't know the game was so close to release.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Article title isn't clickbait and even if it was they should not look to shame or attack journalists/critics. It is distasteful.

While it is always important to remember these incidents are usually just one guy running the Twitter account and not representative of Bethesda or the Rage Dev team it does seem pretty consistent with how awful Bethesda's PR and media relations are too.

Feb 24, 2018
GOing to agree with others, while snarky, the article title isn't really clickbait and for it was right, thought it was coming out in the summer.

And I don't like when companies do this because of how fans tendency to harass people. Plus Bethesda's social media isn't exactly the best when it comes to PR.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Well, why should I know the exact date when Rage 2 is releasing? I'm on here every day, for more hours than I care to admit, and while I gathered it was coming soon, if you asked me, I couldn't tell you when exactly. Certainly not "in 4 days". I don't have interest in buying the game so why would I know? It's Rage 2 not Grand Theft Auto 6.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i forgot this was coming out too lol

will wait on reviews/user impressions to see how this thing is. as of now i'm pretty uninterested.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know myself. I'll probably get it on sale though.

But leave Tassi alone, now. He is a solid writer for anything on Destiny and far more admirable than the wack jobs in Bethesda's marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what the response would be pathetic but hell they could've at least also used it as an opportunity to mention the release date.
A failure on every level.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Am I supposed to be happy to see a big company's promotional twitter account for a new product shitposting about journalists?

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I thought that the reviews were coming out next week. Wow, that Forbes article was on point, at least, for me.

lol what reviews? Bethesda refuse to send out review copies unless you're a noted YouTube mark or influencer so it'll probably be another week before any outlets post anything since they'll need to secure their own copy.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I always forget Bethesda doesn't send out review copies. Feel like that actually backfires on them (Prey, Wolfenstein, Rage 2 potentially).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
lol what reviews? Bethesda refuse to send out review copies unless you're a noted YouTube mark or influencer so it'll probably be another week before any outlets post anything since they'll need to secure their own copy.
I always forget Bethesda doesn't send out review copies. Feel like that actually backfires on them (Prey, Wolfenstein, Rage 2 potentially).
What? Bethesda got rid of that review policy with the release of Wolfenstein II and The Evil Within 2 which had review copies sent out a week before...

This was two years ago.

Plenty of outlets are reviewing RAGE 2 right now, the embargo lifts a day before launch.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/08/rage-2-review-embargo-date

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To be fair I did lose track of the release date and now I guess I'll wait for when its on sale during the holidays.
A bunch of other Bethesda games ended up on Game Pass, if you're patient. Doom, Wolfenstein and its sequel, Prey, TESO, Rage, Fallout 3 and 4. I'm not sure if there are others, that's just what I have installed. I could see Rage 2 hitting the service before the end of 2020.