• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predictions

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • 85-89

Votes: 89 16.8%
  • 81-84

Votes: 216 40.8%
  • Below 81

Votes: 208 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Watching Giant Bomb video of the game, you can tell by the tone of their voice as they play that the game isn't good. I don't even have to watch the gameplay and can pretty much hear the slight disappointment in their voice. The launch trailer with the gameplay gave a different type of feel from what I'm seeing from this game. I'm still gonna play the game but when it receive a huge price drop.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Would just like to add my 2c in that putting the DOOM BFG 9000 in with a deluxe Edition that costs €20 more is a complete waste and actively deters me from handing you my money. Also the Expansion DLC it offers for that extra price won't be available until 31/12/2019.

Same goes for having an exclusive mission for Preorders. Fuck off with that shit. I was going to buy your game.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "well, not a lot of game are rated 5/10, so ~70 means bad" rationale is absolutely ridiculous logic that doesn't reflect the actual context and content of reviews at all. Yes, 5/10 means average and yes, 70s is often the lower range of review scores. That doesn't shift 70s to bad; that means that the games that reviewers do choose to play and cover are generally curated to games that at least decent and somewhat enjoyable.

Reviewers curate what they play, try not to deliberately waste their limited time. Because unlike movies and shows, there is no "so bad, it's good". And unlike movies or shows, it's not 45 minutes, 90 minutes, two hours of your life; it's 5, 10, 20, 30 hours. With those mediums, you can spend a weekend and see everything that's out - good, average, shit - and watching shitty stuff might even be fun with the right crowd or friends or some alcohol. A bad game is an isolated and individual torture for hours upon hours. No one wants to endure that willingly.

Good-average-bad is relative, not absolute.

For someone with limited time and money who doesn't want to read thousands of words or watch hours of lets plays, and only wants to buy the odd console game, glancing at top of MC seems like a reasonable thing to do. And if a game isn't near the top, it is trash to them. And that is OK.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too bad, it looks great. This scenario is pretty much what I feared when we learned that Avalanche is doing the game. All spectacle, no substance, lots of repetition. I couldn't complete Mad Max even though I wanted to like it. :(

Guess it's a pass for me. Time is just too valuable these days.

I wish we had gotten a sequel with the structure of Rage 1 instead. Semi-open, well-designed hub-worlds are so much better than open-worlds full of tedious, repetitive stuff to do.

edit: Well, now that I'm reading that the game is kinda short, that makes it appealing to me as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I should have expected this, Avalanche's Mad Max was a completely mediocre open world game, and it sounds like this is the same.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Still interested in the shooting gameplay that I'll try to Redbox this when it's available.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Good-average-bad is relative, not absolute.

For someone with limited time and money who doesn't want to read thousands of words or watch hours of lets plays, and only wants to buy the odd console game, glancing at top of MC seems like a reasonable thing to do. And if a game isn't near the top, it is trash to them. And that is OK.
I wasn't talking about personal judgment of review scores. A game not near the top can mean "trash" to people; that doesn't mean the actual reviews correlate with those personal feelings.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
We JUST had these same arguments with Days Gone.

Game reviews are not math. 5 being in the middle of a 0-10 scale does not magically make it the average score. Game reviews are a population, and in that population the long term average is roughly 7.

There are many possible reasons for this average to be higher than 5, but that does not change what the average is.

71 is the long term average Metacritic score.

71 is also the median score of all games on Opencritic.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mad Max is my game of the generation. a fantastic open world game by design.
You played a different game than I did then. I'm a completionist and even did all the "?"s in TW3, AC:O etc, but I just couldn't finish Mad Max. I was completely burned out from the repetition halfway through. And what got me there are pretty much the visuals.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just cancelled my pre-order before it started processing. I dodged a bullet with Days Gone, I like the game a fair bit in the time I've played it -- performance issues aside, but I don't feel like gambling again with this game. I'll grab it when it's cheaper.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking forward to this game, now I am not sure. On the one hand it sounds very average.

But on the other hand 2019 has been almost a wasteland with no games I want to play. That could help it.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
We JUST had these same arguments with Days Gone.

Game reviews are not math. 5 being in the middle of a 0-10 scale does not magically make it the average score. Game reviews are a population, and in that population the long term average is roughly 7.

There are many possible reasons for this average to be higher than 5, but that does not change what the average is.

71 is the long term average Metacritic score.

71 is also the median score of all games on Opencritic.
I think you're conflating two ideas - 71MC/7 out of 10 is *the* average score, but 5/10 is *an* average score.

Jun 1, 2018
You played a different game than I did then. I'm a completionist and even did all the "?"s in TW3, AC:O etc, but I just couldn't finish Mad Max. I was completely burned out from the repetition halfway through. And what got me there are pretty much the visuals.
i was about to say i couldnt finish ac:o but im a sucker for wasteland games and the atmosphere was just so good for me personally in mad max

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Danny Odwyer chimes in

I was expecting 81 at highest. But honestly, it all looks like dumb fun to me. Haven't had one of those in a while so I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For me, my hype was gone when I saw they were doubling down on what didn't work in Rage 1. I always knew the actual combat mechnics were gonna be great, but everything around it looks rote.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Game has gone from a day one purchase to waiting for game pass. I really wanted to get it to mix games up a bit with a mindless/ fun shooter (which R2 appears to be), but not at full price and by the time it gets cheaper, it will be time for its game pass debut.
Looks like I'm getting sniper elite v2 remastered instead as my may game. Really looking forward to it strangely, despite it wasn't my favourite out of the 4 so far, but the remaster seems well done.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
This year was pretty front loaded with awesome releases Jan - march. Since then it has been pretty middling. If you dont absolutely love open world games that is.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Theres no difference. The average game cant be above average because above average will turn into the new average.
It's probably important to understand the context and know what each review outlets scale means, but there is absolutely a difference between a 71 MC/OC average score in general from all sources combined, and a 5/10 from an individual outlet being seen as an average score.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, Danny is obsessed with DOOM and it's gameplay.
He has also been working very closely with Bethesda for a while now, so take his "its decent" with a bit of that.
He has the unenviable position of needing the full cooperation of studios when doing his "documentaries", so being honest here and saying that the game
might be boring after one hour or empty is shooting himself in the foot.

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
Oh are we still pretending 70-79 is a good score in gaming? Because it really is not. It usually means the game is not particularly good or has a significant amount of bugs in it. If it's both it will most likely go lower.

And yeah, I wish it was the way it works on IMDb. Anything above 7 is actually pretty good instead of being mediocre or bad.

Lol what?? One of the dumbest things I've read on here. In what kind of world is 70-79 a bad score? Jesus Christ.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
That's pretty much what I expected, it looks like dumb fun. Maybe not full price dumb fun but late summer / black friday dumb fun.
And about review scores... I no longer care; Days Gone was a good example of a great game getting average reviews.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like the game is up my alley tbh. Would rather take a goofy and short, yet mechanically sound shooter over a bloated and dull open world game.
Same. I bounced off Days Gone after a couple of days because I just felt it was "one of those games"

So a smaller open world with a shorter over the top experience? I'll take that.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He has also been working very closely with Bethesda for a while now, so take his "its decent" with a bit of that.
He has the unenviable position of needing the full cooperation of studios when doing his "documentaries", so being honest here and saying that the game
might be boring after one hour or empty is shooting himself in the foot.

"Okay" thanks for your "input" on the "subject"

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably important to understand the context and know what each review outlets scale means, but there is absolutely a difference between a 71 MC/OC average score in general from all sources combined, and a 5/10 from an individual outlet being seen as an average score.
Why? Those are two average scores.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
the open world feels forced. i think the gameplay would have been better served with a more linear campaign. (havent played though)

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I am busy with Days Gone and Observation later this month but Rage 2 is still on my radar from all the footage I've seen.
It helps that I'm not coming to that game for any story stuff but more the craziness with guns/vehicles and dumb fun overall.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if it's a 'decent / good' open world shooter that's light on Story - like Days Gone, like Mad max - that can be platinumed reasonably enough, i guess i'm in.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some quick results for PC gamers:

Intel i7 4930K (overclocked at 4.2Ghz)
16GB of DDR3 RAM at 2133Mhz
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC GAMING
Windows 10 64-bit
GeForce driver 430.53

Benchmarks:

1280x720: 132-180fps
1920x1080: 134-142fps
2560x1440: 93-101fps
3840x2160: 53-57fps

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Okay" thanks for your "input" on the "subject"
giphy.gif

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Still gonna buy this game. The reviews of Days Gone vs. how I felt about the game and the enjoyment I had playing it makes me realize I'm out of touch with critics or something.