• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I beat the game last night, completing what I felt was a good number of optional quests before then.

Still missing like 4 guns and one ability. :/

I really dislike the open world format for this. Dumb quests that I have to fast travel to locations just to get, and tons of mysterious map markings I need to explore before I know what they are.

Really wish they had a progression system as streamlined as Doom or Titan Fall.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
How to access the last story mission?

I am at level 10 with all three partners and the mission log shows that everything should be done, but it also says, that I have to work with my partners to finish project dagger. There is no mission marker on the map and when I drive to the final destination (did look into a walkthrough), Walker says, "that she just want to take a look"
Edit: Ok, looks like it was just a bug. Restarted the game and I can access the mission.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
is there any upgrades for the racing car or Icarus vehicle (the flying one)? I can only upgrade the first car I got despite me not using it anymore.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Lord the lack of brightness options or flashlight is frustrating as hell. I can barely see anything indoors.
I'm pretty sure I did brightness adjustments when I started the game on version 1.0. After updating to 1.0.2 the settings were gone and replaced with a toggle for chromatic aberration. Quite a baffling change.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I installed it yesterday and yes this is exactly correct. Gamepad controls are pure diarrheic garbage. Mouse works flawlessly though. So either I wait for fix that probably won't come, or play with mouse on monitor instead of TV.

It honestly blows my mind they could fuck this up so much and yet nobody much is complaining about it. I saw some reddit posts at least.
On one hand I'm happy I'm not alone. On the other, I was really hoping it would be some sort of controller driver issue, as unlikely as that would be lol.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Played about an hour of this so far and it's been a miserable experience.

Combat is just me standing around in the back shooting guys from a distance while they chuck grenades like NFL QBs at me from halfway across the map. I finally got the shotgun so we'll see if that helps.

Driving is....bad. I tried jumping on a bike earlier and almost fell out of my chair laughing it controlled so poorly.

Game is butt ugly. I'm just stunned at how blurry and flat everything looks. It reminds me a lot of Doom 2016 on the Switch.

Who thought it was a good idea to have a mission in a sewer where you can't see a goddamn thing since you don't have a flashlight?

I have this for 3 days from Redbox and might not even play it again. It's just not good to me.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Talking to NPCs in this game

giphy.gif

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I swear the first bandit outpost I cleared had a couple dozen enemies but now they all seem to have about eight enemies. I'm practically clearing them out without having to reload my shotgun.
Talking to NPCs in this game

giphy.gif
Yup. I can't remember the last time I skipped cutscenes/dialogue on a first playthrough but I ended up doing it here after the first couple of hours.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the worst ui in any game I have ever played

- laggy and slow (ps4 pro)
- so many menus within menus
- so many upgrades locked away in different menus with very confusing upgrade paths
- no sound or confirmation when you unlock a skill

Like most of the other parts of the game (except the shooting) it's undercooked .

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I swear the first bandit outpost I cleared had a couple dozen enemies but now they all seem to have about eight enemies. I'm practically clearing them out without having to reload my shotgun.

Yup. I can't remember the last time I skipped cutscenes/dialogue on a first playthrough but I ended up doing it here after the first couple of hours.
Lol yeah same here, the narrative has nothing to offer

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Game is like 90% of the way to being something really special. It just doesn't feel finished.

Like, I've been playing for hours and I've only just come across some wildlife. I had no idea there were weird animals out in the wasteland.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Went to play a bit of this game before work this morning and was greeted with a 1GB patch on Xbox One.

Anyone else? Or ideas what it could be? Let's get some better image quality up in here.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
There are so many baffling design decisions to an experience that should be a no-nonsense shooter with tight mechanics that bog down the whole thing.

This is definitely not worth grabbing right now, maybe on a sale or a couple of patches later.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I find the game to be completely mindless and stupidly bad. But i love it lol. I enjoy the gunplay and just doing shit that doesnt require me thinking.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Still love it. Even more with every new weapon and ability I get.

I agree it feels unfinished though and the genersl lack of polish is strange for a game from such large developers and publishers.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Finished the game on Saturday, overall very positive. I wasn't rushing through yet I managed to miss 3 weapons and 2 abilities.

Pro:
Shooting is superb and the bullet feedback from enemies feels crunchy and rewarding.
Exploration is rewarded quite well, static loot is really cool, arc pods are a great idea.
Story did not get in the way of the action, I liked the voice acting too.
The weapons were very cool, loved the finger snapping gun.

Cons:
Story is forgettable but the last boss is fun.
Random npcs are garbage ( f to skip was hammered a lot)
Graphics needed tightening, the splatter punk theme felt under cooked.

I have no intention of replaying till the dlc, when it's shown off I will jump back in a collect the remaining guns.

Overall I was very happy with purchase and would have no doubts about recommending it to friends.

Jan 11, 2019
The longer I play the more I wish there was an Ultra-Nightmare mode unlocked from the start. Nightmare in this game feels weird. Stand still for a hot second and you'll be shredded to bits. But as long as you are moving and using your abilities to shred fools there's nothing that can touch you... Like, as long as you're being super aggressive, the game rewards you with immortality. Which is cool I guess, but still too easy.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it and I haven't been this disappointed by a game in a long time. I went into it with pretty low expectations and early on it showed so much promise but it very quickly became clear that the game wasn't going to focus on the part I was enjoying, the combat.

While there's no doubt that the shooting mechanics and the powers are all a lot of fun to use it feels like the game is constantly trying to get in the way of those mechanics and drag the whole experience down. The fact you can finish the game without most of the powers and weapons is a baffling decision, the open world feels very lifeless with a lot of cookie cutter side content and driving around it is often a chore due to the clunky handling off road and the constant death pits scattered around. The bandit camps should be the best side content in the game due to essentially being combat arenas, but for whatever reason they largely seem to have less than 10 enemies in so you can clear them in less than a minute with zero challenge.

The writing has absolutely nothing to offer and the extremely basic cutscene direction and reliance on giving the player control while you're locked in a room and talked at for five minutes makes the game feel like it's an early last gen game from a storytelling perspective. I'm not expecting gold from a sequel to Rage but DOOM showed that you can have some smart writing and cutscene direction in a game where the story is not the main reason you're there.

Early on the combat pulled me through my complaints but around the 5 hour mark I started to realise that the combat encounters were becoming more and more infrequent and that even the encounters I had were very short and not especially challenging. There's definitely the potential for an incredible shooter to come from Rage 2's combat but the game we got just doesn't focus on it's combat enough for it to really rise above it's outdated open world design.

Hopefully those story expansions end up being more focused and linear experiences that really let the game's combat shine.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Played some more last night, I'm about 4 hours in. I think the craziest thing to me is how poorly the vehicles handle for being an open world that even has racing available. It's not just the handling however, that is something that isn't super uncommon in games. The worst part for me is that these are all desert/off-road vehicles, yet as soon as you stray off of the path of the roads you just go bouncing and flying around. This really ruins the driving experience for me since if I'm in an off-road vehicle, I want to stray off the path and find shortcuts, especially when the routes to missions include snaking roads.

Still love the combat, but after last night I wish this was a linear structure with fast traveling between hub towns or something. M+KB is so fun for the gameplay, but driving is so un-fun I have to motivate myself to drive to missions.
That's lame, what's the incentive of using anything else other than maybe the tank mobile?

Also funny aside, I found my first motorcycle and was on my way back to a town to save it. I hit a bump on the side of the road which sent the motorcycle flipping into a ravine right outside the entrance.
This is probably the worst ui in any game I have ever played

- laggy and slow (ps4 pro)
- so many menus within menus
- so many upgrades locked away in different menus with very confusing upgrade paths
- no sound or confirmation when you unlock a skill

Like most of the other parts of the game (except the shooting) it's undercooked .
The two bold points are most baffling to me. I thought my game was bugged because I couldn't figure out how to get to the next rank of shotgun upgrades. Having to use the arrow key to go down to the next path, when every other upgrade with felrite or whatever is just a press and hold. Makes no sense.

No confirmation as well is just weird. I think they just ran out of time with the UI of the menus, especially with the lag of how it loads.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="AcridMeat, post: 20957233, member: 9142"
Still love the combat, but after last night I wish this was a linear structure with fast traveling between hub towns or something. M+KB is so fun for the gameplay, but driving is so un-fun I have to motivate myself to drive to missions.
That's lame, what's the incentive of using anything else other than maybe the tank mobile?
.[/QUOTE]
There isn't much aside from curiosity. the one reason I use them is while I'm on foot and there's an objective very close, if there's an enemy vehicle near I'll jump in it quick to close the distance.

Aside from that, I almost exclusively use the copter.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main story last night, loved the game overall and will come back to it and clean up the map from time to time.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Still love it. Even more with every new weapon and ability I get.

I agree it feels unfinished though and the genersl lack of polish is strange for a game from such large developers and publishers.

Not really when you consider Avalanche games keep coming in rough with weird design decisions. Seems par for the course for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I absolutely love this game. I really hope they have new game plus lined up as part of their plans for updates. It would be a blast to crack this up to max difficulty with everything unlocked from the start

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't much aside from curiosity. the one reason I use them is while I'm on foot and there's an objective very close, if there's an enemy vehicle near I'll jump in it quick to close the distance.

Aside from that, I almost exclusively use the copter.
Yeah I should clarify I meant incentive for saving the vehicles in a town.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I absolutely love this game. I really hope they have new game plus lined up as part of their plans for updates. It would be a blast to crack this up to max difficulty with everything unlocked from the start
Ya, the flow of combat is too damn smooth once you get all your shit upgraded. I've run out of bandit camps to clear after about 20 hours and I'm actually disappointed I don't have anything fun left to do. I might be able to squeeze out 5 or so more hours, but I could kill things forever in this game. I'll get the DLC and play any of those "world events" they have coming up, for sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, the flow of combat is too damn smooth once you get all your shit upgraded. I've run out of bandit camps to clear after about 20 hours and I'm actually disappointed I don't have anything fun left to do. I might be able to squeeze 5 or so more hours out of the game, but I could kill things forever in this game.
I hope they repopulate them for us, or add an option to just flick a switch and do that in a new game+ or something. This is a game I can see myself droping into every now and then as the shooting and traversal is so damn good.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Have thoroughly beaten the game and all side missions, just achievement hunting now. The gameplay loop is so damn fantastic, can we get a John Wick game with these shooting mechanics!? I do have some gripes...

-game is way too short
-no meaningful side missions
-not a lot of variety in things to do
-mutant tv should have been more extensive

That being said, the shooting is just so fun, it made up for a lot of the shortcomings. I never expected or asked for a Rage 2, but now I definitely want a Rage 3 with a nice 40 hour campaign and fleshed out world.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to like this game but I'm close to uninstalling it and calling it quits. While not always to the same degree, it suffers from the same shit that Mad Max did (which I gave up on about 2/3rds into the game).

It's probably all been said and repeated numerous times already but I'm still going to listen my main gripes:

- nothing matters and I don't give a shit about anything or anybody. The story-presentation is pathetically bad, the writing is terrible and on "programmer art"-level at best, downright cringeworthy most of the times. Why can't Avalanche get some decent writers already? This is not a new problem with this studio.

- the tone is all over the place and generally inferior to the tonally more consistent and somewhat thick atmosphere of the first game. It adds to the "nothing matters" problem.

- quality of the location design is extremely inconsistent (good hubs, some bad secondary outpost locations ... too much copy&paste shit even).

- vehicles feel worse than in Mad Max for some reason

- Mad Max-like outpost checklists are annoying as ever. I caught myself feeling frustrated looking for that last chest or enemy forever a couple of times already. In one location (something peak), I couldn't find the last goon for like 20 minutes or so. I checked every inch of the base ... he probably fell of a cliff and survived or glitched into something. I restarted and naturally all enemies were back. Cool. During my second run the game crashes and I had to quit in frustration that night.

- numerous technical issues and bugs (apart from the one described above)

- the menu is shit (laggy and overly convoluted). They also did not even fix Rage 1's issue with how every inventory item/material looked the same at first glance.

- the music is mediocre at best. In Rage 1 I would often stop and listen to some guitar player playing space blues. Rage 2 hardly has anything like that. It's almost just generic industrial metal crap.

Positives:
- guns feel good
- enemy animations
- visuals (mostly)
- progression is not as slow as in Mad Max

Overall I have decided that it's not worth my time, not even as a podcast game. I'm just not having a lot of fun, it's almost purely the urge of my inner completionist that drives me to continue but I don't want to fall into that unfulfilling rut again and feel like I've wasted my time.

TL:DR ... Avalanche is still Avalanche and I should've known better.

Last edited:

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Yeah but a lot of the side stuff feels like it could be their own main mission. People looking just at the number of main missions are really doing the game a disservice.
I couldn't disagree more, it's the blandest open world game I've played, there are no NPCs outside those 8 missions as far as I recall. The only story outside the missions is text on data pads.

Every side activity is essentially an outpost with 30 or so enemies, sometimes a boss as well, sometimes shooting fuel tanks, sometimes defending a pylon.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't disagree more, it's the blandest open world game I've played, there are no NPCs outside those 8 missions as far as I recall. The only story outside the missions is text on data pads.

Every side activity is essentially an outpost with 30 or so enemies, sometimes a boss as well, sometimes shooting fuel tanks, sometimes defending a pylon.

There's a lot of NPCs you can talk with that will give you a location on the map to go to and a reward for completing the objective, which is typically for clearing out an outpost anyway. Like Lug Nuts where an NPC told me the location of a nest of mutants to clear out with a massive one at the end. Drove to it, but got caught in the middle of a Goon/Immortal Shrouded shootout where they were killing each other but happy to also shoot at me, went through the tunnels shooting mutants and faced the big guy at the end. Was a pretty decent side mission even though I clipped through the world at one point and needed to restart a checkpoint.

But the majority of NPC dialogue is overly long and means nothing in the long run as there's no real twists in their story. Like a guy told me his grandma was a ranger and asked me to go convince her to move in with him because he was worried about her. Found her, Ranger body hidden by light environmental puzzle, she dead. And that was it, no going back to tell the grandson she's dead, nothing else to the story, her body was just part of a checklist of collectibles and the NPC dialogue existed only to point me in the right direction and was waaaaay too much talking for what essentially meant nothing.

What cracks me up is for how bad the writing is overall, they must've had a super bored writing intern that they weren't sure what to do with because of all the unneeded named characters that sound like they came from a pro-wrestling name generator (Bruise Armbar is my current favorite), all the way too lengthy lines of dialogue, and that the junk you find is almost all named. Someone went through and named all the junk even though it's all worth the same amount and represented by the same graphical box.

Oct 29, 2017
Where is the wizard that sells cheats? Wouldn't mind buying another progress booster. The one that came with the deluxe edition was very helpful yesterday helping me max out a bunch of stuff.

EDIT: And is there a map icon or something?

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
This game is getting worse the more I play. I may give up on it. I mean, it's just such a slog.
I would've given up on it sooner had I not found the gyro-copter thing, which is fucking ESSENTIAL to get around.
Too bad, as it does have fun parts, but that's maybe 25% of my time with it, the other 75% is an unfun chore that's ugly to look at and annoying to boot!

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Hey guys, I have run into a glitch today while playing rage 2. Im trying to progress the story but I'm locked out on a mission from the female and the beard guy. I have done all requirements so far like story mission, level 10+ each but I only unlocked the blue guy mission while these 2 it says

Unknown: assist this operative to unlock this mission

I'm trying to do stuff in the map but I can't seem to process the story.

Any ideas ?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Just platinumed the game yesterday. I really enjoyed my time with it. was a good shooty collectathon. should have looked at my time played, think it came in around 25-30 hours.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Been playing since launch and have completed four regions with the Wetlands and The Wilds being the two remaining. Halfway through the story campaign. After yesterday, won't play again until Thursday night due to work but I will wrap up the game this coming weekend. Excellent game overall as the gunplay and shooting mechanics are superb and is insanely fun to play. If I had to list a major disappointment, it would be the car combat. Out in the open world, it's non-existent and while the convoys are good, they're all basically identical in regards to how you destroy them and all you need is the base guns that you have at the start of the game. Ranking wise, I would put Mad Max ahead of Rage 2 mainly due to car combat being so much fun, challenging and there were different ways to play. With that said, Rage 2 will end up being an excellent game for me overall with probably 60 or so hours played when all is said and done.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So after 10 or so hours my impressions are fun to kill things and honestly the area clearing is fun. The menu is slow but i like the upgrade paths. Overall an 8/10 hope the expansions refine it a bit