• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
one thing i forgot, i thought it was really odd that there isn´t even a sandstorm in the wasteland...in fact, the game has no weather effects at all which takes alot of potential atmosphere away

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide
buy from steam for 70 bucks with option for refund
buy from cdkeys for the bethesda launcher for 40 bucks without option for refund
wait for a sale
I'm going for Steam with potential refund.

What's the current limits on play time for these? Never requested one before.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going for Steam with potential refund.

What's the current limits on play time for these? Never requested one before.
you can refund games you haven't played for longer than 2 hours or bought less than 14 days ago if I remember correctly. i have refunded tons of games, mostly during sales.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocking on Steam rightr now.
Instructions:

(Credit to jaseC)

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change (not to be confused with reset) your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in NZ, AU or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

worked like a charm

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Instructions:

(Credit to jaseC)

Did it work for you? I tried the steps above and it still says unlocking in 8 hours.

EDIT: stealth answer again, lol!

Two hours of play time.
you can refund games you haven't played for longer than 2 hours or bought less than 14 days ago if I remember correctly. i have refunded tons of games, mostly during sales.
Thanks a lot!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look for the game, and Ben sums up my feelings on it.

"I don't know what it is, but I feel like we're kind of approaching the end of these kinds of video games. I feel like something needs to change, because I've never played Rage 2, but I've seen this. This is all so familiar to me, you know?"

Just feels pretty bland from looking at gameplay footage. What I am seeing here is not matching up with their marketing at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching the Cohh stream and it looks like he's doing story right now, but whatever section he's playing looks dark and the world looks sparse action-wise. Does this change or get mixed up during the campaign?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
so do you need the bethesda launcher if you buy from steam?
can you still refund the game on steam when it needs a 3rd party launcher?

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I refunded my steam pre-order and bought from cd keys, Based on feedback I know I will enjoy the game, but not worth paying full price.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough, but nearly every impression and review has praised the gameplay as the high point of the game.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Depending on when Bethesda sent out review copies, reviewers might have been forced to rush through the game in order to get the review out as soon as the embargo lifted. Hence why the reported playtime might not necessarily reflect the general speed at which most people will play the game.

I think being a game reviewer these days can become a chore as games get larger which puts more pressure on the reviewer to accurately report on the game without sacrificing additional time that could be used to get the review out with every other outlet.
I don't even have our review copy yet. They sent it out on friday (on disc) to our editor-in-chief, after which he had to send it to me, which means I won't be getting it until tomorrow (release day) at the earliest because in my country mail doesn't get delivered on monday. This means I won't be able to have our review up until the end of the week at the earliest and I don't want to rush through it so it'll probably be later. Not sure if all publications got a disc (we're a smaller publication), but if they would've given us a code on friday I would've been able to put 20+ hours in the game already. I've read reports from other publications about getting their copies in either yesterday or today, so yeah... They should've sent it out a couple days earlier, or should've sent out codes. I bet reviews would talk more about exploration then and maybe even reflect it in their scores.

I can't decide
buy from steam for 70 bucks with option for refund
buy from cdkeys for the bethesda launcher for 40 bucks without option for refund
wait for a sale
Is it possible to buy it on Steam, refund it after 1,5 hours or something, and then buy it from cdkeys if you liked it? You might have to play the first part again, but at least you save $30 if you end up liking it.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
so do you need the bethesda launcher if you buy from steam?
can you still refund the game on steam when it needs a 3rd party launcher?

Nope, no Bethesda launcher required. I am not sure how it works on Steam when a game has a third party launcher and you want to refund it, but Rage 2 launches directly from Steam like any other game. I don't have the Bethesda launcher even installed.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
PC version seems solid so far.

Only in the prologue but buttery smooth at 1440p ultra settings. Not a bad looking game either - some low res textures but pretty good otherwise.

gVcBwax.jpg

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Anyone else have tearing? GSYNC gear but its tearing.

Forced GSYNC on at NVIDIA Control Panel.

EDIT: Whats this crap I read about Win10 disabling the boost functionality of my monitor? Haven't played games in a long while.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Instructions:

(Credit to jaseC)

I wonder what is going on with unlocking the game. I have tried few different VPN connections now and Steam just wont connect to e.g. Australia via VPN. It keeps connecting me to my proper region, EU.

First time this has happened to me with early unlock.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what is going on with unlocking the game. I have tried few different VPN connections now and Steam just wont connect to e.g. Australia via VPN. It keeps connecting me to my proper region, EU.

First time this has happened to me with early unlock.

Check which data center you have selected in Steam preferences?

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, you need a bethesda account to get all the bonuses and deluxe stuff.
Oh, and it has in-game microtransactions, nice.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look for the game, and Ben sums up my feelings on it.

"I don't know what it is, but I feel like we're kind of approaching the end of these kinds of video games. I feel like something needs to change, because I've never played Rage 2, but I've seen this. This is all so familiar to me, you know?"

Just feels pretty bland from looking at gameplay footage. What I am seeing here is not matching up with their marketing at all.

exactly what i wrote, i call it "been here, done that gameplay" you don´t even have to play the game and you know exactly how it works.

the game is often far from frantic, you drive around slower than i would like to self contained outposts, the game is not coherent at all, there is no flow other than in the short shooting sequences, when these are over you collect shit in the outposts and drive to the next spot, the open world is bog standard and just there. this kind of open world games have to stop, the formula is beyond stale at this point.

there are even forced screens which tell you how much reputation you´ve earned after doing a side task which stop the game... this is completely shit when it comes to gameflow...you should never force screens on the player which stop the game...

and the fact that you don´t even unlock all the stuff at a good pace sucks. there are so much currencies and upgrade material that it feels like a free 2 play game which is designed to add playtime through keeping the player busy with,sorry to say it, nonsense.

problem is, the whole framework of the game doesn´t support that. it is a copy and paste-a-thon...you do one of each activity and you know them all, but they are all repeated dozens of times all over the map.
that they modeled this as a GaaS is a bad joke too, by the time the whole stuff drops no one will be playing this game anymore lol

Last edited:

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Well shit. Just got this e-mail from Amazon:

Your Amazon.com order of "Rage 2 - PlayStation 4..." has shipped!

I forgot I preordered it like 6 months ago and lost interest in it long ago...

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
exactly what i wrote, i call it "been here, done that gameplay" you don´t even have to play the game and you know exactly how it works.

the game is often far from frantic, you drive around slower than i would like to self contained outposts, the game is not coherent at all, there is no flow other than in the short shooting sequences, when these are over you collect shit in the outposts and drive to the next spot, the open world is bog standard and just there.

there are even forced screens which tell you how much reputation you´ve earned after doing a side task which stop the game... this is completely shit when it comes to gameflow...you should never force screens on the player which stop the game...

That's most games though. That statement isn't a reflection of quality. I'm not defending Rage 2, but if it ended up being another iteration of your favorite IP, then most people won't care if it's like what came before. It's usually only when it's an IP they have no affinity for that "more of the same" becomes an issue.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

Which can be said about a huge variety of games. There simply isn't anything really new in games at all, as most of it has already been done. But if a specific genre is a favorite or enjoyable, why is does that matter? It's the design of said game that matters, not that you played a game like this before.

Hell, name one first-person shooter that hasn't done something that another one has? Or any game for that matter? Sure, once in a blue moon we get something that's amazing and then it gets incorporated into other games and then it's no longer special.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That's most games though. That statement isn't a reflection of quality. I'm not defending Rage 2, but if it ended up being another iteration of your favorite IP, then most people won't care if it's like what came before. It's usually only when it's an IP they have no affinity for that "more of the same" becomes an issue.
I think it is different in the open world department. If the traversal is not good (which seems the case with Rage 2), when you finally at the destination and it is more (or less) of the same, what's the point ?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bought it for £30 on CDKeys, it has been on my radar for ages and I'm happy enough with the reviews, it seems like just the sort of game I need right now.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, you do need an account but you don't need the launcher. You just link the account and the bonuses get unlocked in the game. Yes, there are microtransactions, and several paid DLC coming out in the future.

On that note, how do you get all the bonus stuff? I have the account linked, but nothing unlocked yet, no skin etc.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on when Bethesda sent out review copies, reviewers might have been forced to rush through the game in order to get the review out as soon as the embargo lifted.
It was all over the place. The 8 I know of all got ours on Wednesday of last week. But then for the next couple days more and more got them. Most of those very early ones are reviews I have seen posted today as well. Even in the group of folks a number of us thought completely different things and I can't say any were rushed at all in that group.