• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to end up with a lower Open Critic score than Far Cry: New Dawn. Ouch...

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
On this site I've seen the complete opposite far too many times. People who get early copies tend to be excitebale about the fact they have it early and praise the game more so than it deserves.

I'm finding it actually quite refreshing to read some sober early impressions, in my own miserable way 😂

Oh, they're sober all right haha

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I had pre-ordered it on fanatical for 66CAD but I canceled that and picked it up on CDKeys 52CAD already got my Bethesda launcher key

Can't wait for it to unlock

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
This game is going to end up with a lower Open Critic score than Far Cry: New Dawn. Ouch...
Some of these reviews aren't making any sense. You can also tell who rushed through the game. Most are stating these' not much to do and that's completely wrong. The issue is the story doesn't take advantage of the vast open world. It's mainly fetching quests. That's going to hurt the game for those who didn't do anything other than the story.

Which means they missed out on stuff. Arks that are hidden in the world, storage chests and more. This is a design issue and by not forcing people to explore, this is sad.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how you can beat the game in 12 hours. Maybe if you beeline the main story but i'm maybe at 50% of the story and have already played over 14 hours.

I don't do every side-mission or search for every questionmark. But then again i don't feel like the side missions are a chore so far. Thanks to the gunplay i look forward to the next shootout.

Without the gunplay i could understand those reviews.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
If anyone finds any impressions regarding PC performance especially around specs like a 6600K and 1060 6gb combo, hit me up. Looking at [email protected]'s all I really need to know about before I place an order.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Also, now that the embargo is over, I can answer any questions or post videos on stuff you request. Sadly, I don't any anything lower than a Ryzen 1300 + GTX 1080 to test on.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these reviews aren't making any sense. You can also tell who rushed through the game. Most are stating these' not much to do and that's completely wrong. The issue is the story doesn't take advantage of the vast open world. It's mainly fetching quests. That's going to hurt the game for those who didn't do anything other than the story.

Which means they missed out on stuff. Arks that are hidden in the world, storage chests and more. This is a design issue and by not forcing people to explore, this is sad.
Is any of that stuff (arks, "storage chests") actually worth doing though? Is there any narrative there, or is it just open world filler checklist stuff?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I wasn't even aware that most of the arks are hidden on the map until you buy maps to them, or happen to see them in the distance and drive to them. I wonder how many people who reviewed the game didn't even open them all? Based on what I'm hearing the game starts slow, and doesn't really take off until you get more weapons and upgrades for Walker.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So far the reviews remind me a lot of the first game in that it's perfectly decent but would be a lot better as just a standard linear shooter

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Nah. The other arks just give stuff to help you level up and the storage chests are items you can use to fix up your vehicles, talents. None of it is narrative.

But is there exploration and quest to discover, or is it really just hey here is weapon and here is a talent? That is fluff and not really noteworthy as interesting. I want to know if the reviewers finished the story and missed a lot of exploration and side quests that is actually interesting. The reviews i have seen so far do not mention exploration.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone in the UK, Currys will have this for £34.99 on PS4/XB1. Use code RAGE10 instore or online to get the offer

astro

Oct 25, 2017
reached the end on nightmare, took me around 16hrs but i did sidecontent. there is still a metric shit ton to do though. i didn´t even had all weapons and skills and i have no idea where they are, i did all question marks on the map...

the main story is more like a big main quest but surely not the meat of the game, this is very much an open world themepark game, the story is just there.

7/10 from me, the shooting is great but happens only in concentrated spots and the open world is not really interesting, console graphics also suck.

no offense but being critical doesn´t mean hating something.
Giving this game a 7/10 after your overly negative feedback is a perfect ending.

cdkeys only sells bethesda.net keys?
can I vpn unlock there too?
I would like to know the answer to this too.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching the Quicklook and ugh. Multiple currencies, endless small upgrade items, icon filled map, little tasks...tell me this game isn't built around monetization and grinding.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Just watching the Quicklook and ugh. Multiple currencies, endless small upgrade items, icon filled map, little tasks...tell me this game isn't built around monetization and grinding.
I would't call it grinding. Hell, you can raise the 3 factions to level 5 and move on. Which you'll end up getting the points after doing a handful of missions. The map is ridiculed with icons as they represent a lot of stuff. Missions you need to do, areas you been, stuff you found, extra stuff you can do, etc.

There are multiple currencies but it isn't as complex as people are making it. The main issue is the tasks, which does get repetitive, I agree 100%.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah I already use Beth launcher for fo76 and at least with that game, I can launch it directly from steam without needing to open the beth launcher or have it running. I only need to launch it to update the game. I am hoping Rage 2 acts the same!
you have to do something specific to connect the game on steam?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for the last few days, now that the embargo is up here are some bullet point thoughts after about 12 hours:

-the combat is awesome. It just gets better and better the more you play and unlock stuff. The different abilities and weapons are all an absolute blast. It's almost as fun as DOOM 2016 for me. It lacks the quality AI and enemy variety and level design that makes DOOM so amazing, but the core combat flow is so damn great. It's somewhere between Bulletstorm and DOOM. It's very easy on the normal difficulty, but that's good by me. It makes it way easier to rip and tear. It's so frenetic and awesome.

-car combat is fine, there's not much of it. The convoys are easy but enjoyable enough. Driving is decent, but stiff. Turning feels too slow, but handbrake helps. Also, I much prefer the alternative camera view for driving (press V on PC while driving). Races on a track felt like butt, it was weird. The track races felt like an almost completely different driving model from the default car.

-it's a very standard open world in that there's just a ton of easily completable side activities, 99% of which involve you shooting enemies, which is ok by me because the combat is so enjoyable.

-there are an absolutely enormous amount of upgrades and skills and points. They feel fairly useful across the board but the menus are a mess.

-story and writing is mostly very straight faced and serious. The marketing definitely sells this game as a zany, almost parody tone, but the crazy/whacky stuff is all peripheral. There's still a lot of goofiness in the visuals, enemies, weapons, combat, vehicles, and look of the game. But the writing isn't like that. Honestly, couldn't give less of a shit about any of the writing. It never gets in the way - there's not much of it. They know you're here for the gameplay.

-PC port is solid. Performance could maybe be a little better, but it's never problematic. Playing at ultra at 1440p on a 9800k and 1080ti I am always above 60, usually 65-85fps. It's not an amazing looking game but I think it looks solid in motion. I like the color palette (especially coming off Days Gone)

Overall, I am enjoying it a lot. I don't click with a lot of open world games, especially the more basic ones. But I am having a consistently great time playing RAGE 2. It's just fucking fun to play, consistently, and getting more fun as time goes on. It's the most I've enjoyed an Avalanche game since Just Cause 2, by a huge amount.

Bonus PC pics (it can look pretty good at higher resolutions);

32897685577_f17a801d99_o.png

47052038154_1e0f0796cf_o.png

tsef

Oct 28, 2017
Seing streamers playing the game early is starting to get on my nerves ! Twitch is a fine thing but streamers shouldn't have that much preference :(

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Seing streamers playing the game early is starting to get on my nerves ! Twitch is a fine thing but streamers shouldn't have that much preference :(

It's super easy and effective marketing. People like Cohh and Gothalion are going to get a lot of eyes on the game prerelease. Big streamers aren't just everyday Joes and Janes now, they're influencers who drive marketing with very little effort from publishers.

tsef

Oct 28, 2017
It's super easy and effective marketing. People like Cohh and Gothalion are going to get a lot of eyes on the game prerelease. Big streamers aren't just everyday Joes and Janes now, they're influencers who drive marketing with very little effort from publishers.
Yeah I know, it's just frustrating.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand how you can beat the game in 12 hours. Maybe if you beeline the main story but i'm maybe at 50% of the story and have already played over 14 hours.

I don't do every side-mission or search for every questionmark. But then again i don't feel like the side missions are a chore so far. Thanks to the gunplay i look forward to the next shootout.

Without the gunplay i could understand those reviews.
Depending on when Bethesda sent out review copies, reviewers might have been forced to rush through the game in order to get the review out as soon as the embargo lifted. Hence why the reported playtime might not necessarily reflect the general speed at which most people will play the game.

I think being a game reviewer these days can become a chore as games get larger which puts more pressure on the reviewer to accurately report on the game without sacrificing additional time that could be used to get the review out with every other outlet.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have an ingame FPS counter? If not, does the Bethesda launcher have an overlay that shows it? Guessing nope on both, so i'll have to add it to my Steam library instead.

Also can you launch the game without having the Bethesda launcher open?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Does the game have an ingame FPS counter? If not, does the Bethesda launcher have an overlay that shows it? Guessing nope on both, so i'll have to add it to my Steam library instead.

I recall a post in this thread stating that If you buy the game from Steam, it launches straight from the Steam client supposedly - no Beth.net required.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I recall a post in this thread stating that If you buy the game from Steam, it launches straight from the Steam client supposedly - no Beth.net required.
Yeah, i'm not paying 40% more for the Steam version though, got it from CDKEYS instead.

So Bethesda launcher is what i'm stuck with.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Just unlocked a few moments ago, currently downloading. I think this will last me a while.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Unlocking on Steam rightr now.
Instructions:

(Credit to jaseC)

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change (not to be confused with reset) your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in NZ, AU or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

It does not, but I've had luck with MSI afterburner/RIVA. Precision X and Frags will also likely work.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I can't decide
buy from steam for 70 bucks with option for refund
buy from cdkeys for the bethesda launcher for 40 bucks without option for refund
wait for a sale