• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Loading screens don't exceed 10 seconds.
  • For those who loved DOOM(2016) gameplay you will love RAGE 2's gameplay.
  • No issues with performance, popping in textures, FPS drops etc.
  • Most guns have different firing modes depending if your using ADS.
  • Overcharge with certain guns feels great (Don't wanna spoil anything).
  • Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
  • FOV Slider in the options menu.
  • Two different reticles are available. (The Alternate is just a white dot).
  • If you've played the original RAGE you'll see some familiar faces.
  • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.
  • Guns have different skins.
  • Some of the abilities kick ass, Shatter can cause some nasty gory mess.
  • All guns can be upgraded multiple times.
  • If you ever lose your vehicle you can spawn another one right next you.
There is a couple of issues I have noticed.
  • One of the abilities I unlocked doesn't work.
  • The menu can be incredibly laggy.
I am playing on the Xbox One X with the game installed on to a SSD.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

I hope I've helped some of you who are on the fence!
I'll be playing on X so this is good to hear!

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I liked RAGE 1 but this one hasn't been on my radar, the impressions seem good though. I'll wait for reviews but it's great hearing the gunplay is like DOOM.

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to know if we could use a VPN to unlock the PC version early on the Bethesda launcher. That, in conjunction with cheaper keys, may tip me over to picking it up there as opposed to on Steam.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm still amped for this, traded in Kingdom hearts 3 and Sekiro for this. I'm on vacation in South Carolina at the moment but when I get back next weekend it's all about Rage 2!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm a bit worried that this turns out to be a Ubisoft-Open-World-Checking Boxes kind of thing...any word on that already?
What else do you expect? It will be just like that. Just watch some preview footage, its kinda obvious. Its fine tho, a lot of people like those games

What open world game isn't "Ubisoft open world"? You have large map with open ended design divided into regions (usually) that then is filled with POI's to check out, hubs of varying sizes, NPCs, quests (main and side) and some optional activities sprinkled on top? Basically every open world game fits that formula and seems like only when it's released by Ubisoft people get some weird hate semi for said game(s).

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on GMG to come through with their keys, I guess Bethesda isn't doing preload, who knows. In the meantime I decided to give RAGE a go again after quitting back at release due to general shittyness and being a technical nightmare at the time to run on my PC. Now it runs fine at 4K (lol) to see that megatexture in all its pixelated glory, not the best way to get hype for the sequel funnily enough :p

Nov 8, 2017
Waiting on GMG to come through with their keys, I guess Bethesda isn't doing preload, who knows. In the meantime I decided to give RAGE a go again after quitting back at release due to general shittyness and being a technical nightmare at the time to run on my PC. Now it runs fine at 4K (lol) to see that megatexture in all its pixelated glory, not the best way to get hype for the sequel funnily enough :p

It's still a bit of a turd, lol. The frametime graph via RTSS tells that they have inconsistent framepacing with the in-engine 60fps cap. It's not hrorific stutering, but like it hsould be a flat line and it's actually a wobby line, varying 16.2 - 17ms or so constantly.

Oh and I also can't keep a stable 60 the whole time... on an RTX 2080 + Ryzen 2700 + 16gb DDR4 3000mhz memory. At 1440p. D:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What open world game isn't "Ubisoft open world"? You have large map with open ended design divided into regions (usually) that then is filled with POI's to check out, hubs of varying sizes, NPCs, quests (main and side) and some optional activities sprinkled on top? Basically every open world game fits that formula and seems like only when it's released by Ubisoft people get some weird hate semi for said game(s).

IKR? Is it a "Ubisoft open world" when every other open world game does it? It's also funny that people only use "Ubisoft open world" in a negative way. They don't say the term for games they like even if they're more formulaic than actual Ubi games.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
1070 at 1440p is pushing it these days at higher settings, though you'd probably find it quite decent thanks to the iD engine being made of wizard dust.
It's gotten me through some games quite well, RE2 and DMCV run near max settings are rarely dip below 60.

Rage 2 could go either way though. JC3 and 4 are both poorly optimized, but that was a different studio within Avalanche. Hopefully their A-team is better in that regard.

IKR? Is it a "Ubisoft open world" when every other open world game does it? It's also funny that people only use "Ubisoft open world" in a negative way. They don't say the term for games they like even if they're more formulaic than actual Ubi games.
To be fair, Ubisoft is one of the only devs who knows how to crank out great open world games that have compelling side content and rewarding progression systems like AC Odyssey and Division 2.

Mad Max was filled with bland busy work, and Rage 2 may have that same issue. If the shooting mechanics really are top-notch, then it could still be a good time though.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
It's also funny that people only use "Ubisoft open world" in a negative way. They don't say the term for games they like even if they're more formulaic than actual Ubi games.

When it was revealed that Horizon or Spiderman had towers people here were saying "whats wrong about that? Tried and tested game mechanics, why shouldnt they use them ?

It was so hilarious.

Not even mentioning Ubisoft doesnt do open world like they did in the past, since Watch Dogs 2 and especially Far Cry 5 and the new AC's are much better than most open world games now.

Nov 8, 2017
It's gotten me through some games quite well, RE2 and DMCV run near max settings are rarely dip below 60.

Rage 2 could go either way though. JC3 and 4 are both poorly optimized, but that was a different studio within Avalanche. Hopefully their A-team is better in that regard.

RE Engine and idTech 6 have been extremely performant engines this generation. Your 1070 will give you a very good experience I'm sure, but it just may not be 1440p 60 max settings, necessarily. Fingers crossed though!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit worried that this turns out to be a Ubisoft-Open-World-Checking Boxes kind of thing...any word on that already?
Just watched the Gamestar preview and he says that it's another Avalanche game. So if you played Just Cause or Mad Max, you know what you will get out of the game world/story/characters (not very deep) and gameplay loops (repetitive). But the gunplay seems to be much better than in previous games.

Btw, they played the PC version. Long video of the preview version here, but it's in German

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the Gamestar preview and he says that it's another Avalanche game. So if you played Just Cause or Mad Max, you know what you will get out of the game world/story/characters (not very deep) and gameplay loops (repetitive). But the gunplay seems to be much better than in previous games.

Btw, they played the PC version. Long video of the preview version here, but it's in German

Wolfenstein 3 took a strange turn

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

I preloaded through Bethesda launcher. Sometimes GMG just waits until the last possible moment to send out keys.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
When it was revealed that Horizon or Spiderman had towers people here were saying "whats wrong about that? Tried and tested game mechanics, why shouldnt they use them ?

It was so hilarious.

Not even mentioning Ubisoft doesnt do open world like they did in the past, since Watch Dogs 2 and especially Far Cry 5 and the new AC's are much better than most open world games now.
I have an example that always comes to mind when I think of the Ubisoft open world game design and why I dislike it so much after playing through so many of them.

In AC Odyssey I cleared out an enemy fort on the way to a main mission marker. I talked to the NPC and was directed right back to that same fort and every enemy had respawned. Clearing outposts is Ubisoft's level design. So many times a mainline quest is to just go to one of the forts, camps, dwellings, or strongholds and clear them out. Sometimes they'll change it up with steal something from one of those places.
I really enjoyed Origins, so much so I couldn't wait for Odyssey. But when I was presented with the same type of level design I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I did Origins. It's the same for me with Far Cry. It was a lot of fun for me in Far Cry 3, I had less fun in 4 and by 5 I was completely over that style of level design.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a short campaign. The paradox with a lot of open world games is how much those Ubi fetch quests end up outstaying their welcome way passed the initial high. If the game is fairly short and sweet with a good amount of action and areas to let the combat soar, that seems like an optimal compromise.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't mind a short campaign. The paradox with a lot of open world games is how much those Ubi fetch quests end up outstaying their welcome way passed the initial high. If the game is fairly short and sweet with a good amount of action and areas to let the combat soar, that seems like an optimal compromise.

I don't either. I like beating games and playing different ones, so I don't like playing the same game for 100 hours. Days Gone is the longest I've played and beaten in some time. But I'm also getting burned out on gaming, and used to play more.

This sounds shorter than I'd expected, and since my copy is going to be delayed at least a week or two given past experiences, and since it's so short, I figure I'll get it from EB then return it in a week. If I beat it and don't want to play more, I'll just return the other copy. Given how little I truly game anymore, I may as well maybe save the money.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
for the "11hours long" thing...yeah no, this is longer if you play it "normally" which means doing some things here and there...

11hours is maybe the crucial story part rushed but i am at 13hrs playtime now and i think i am at the half way point now (hard difficulty).

when you see it this way, many open world games are only 10 hrs long if you ignore everything there is and just do the story missions

Oct 25, 2017
Price is incorrect in the OT, not sure why people put OTs with the price in without actually checking it. The correct price is

PC: $59.99 / £39.99 / €59.99
Console: $59.99 / £49.99 / €69.99

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can this be accessed now on steam via VPN? And if so, where do I need to set it?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has ordered from CDKEYS, check your original purchase confirmation email to access your key from there. No indication whether it includes the pre order DLC though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
switched to nightmare difficulty, hard is like normal mode in this game, completely nonsense if someone wants a challenge

i still wish there would have been a 30fps 4K mode, the blurry graphics are a letdown, the pop ins are also extreme, sometimes you literally see the scrap on the ground vanishing if you take a step back, looks really shitty. even after 10 hrs it pulls me out of the game all the time.

but people weren´t bothered by that in The Division 2 so i think the majority doesn´t give a crap about things like that (which is mindboggling, instead of better the games look badder at the end of the console generation)

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018

Woah, really bad pop in on that giant enemy (at 1:35 ). Not great for a PC version. Also noticed the player barely took any damage while fighting the river hogs - look i dunno what difficulty he's playing at but damn that looked piss easy. Also seems to suffer from the same horrible driving camera like in Mad Max, seems here there is no auto-center which will it tough to turn and shoot on controllers. Reviews will show more i hope.

If im right : Ill be pretty disappointed with Id. This is not RAGE anymore, its Mad Max 1.6.

Last edited:

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I've been itching to get this for the Doom-like combat but I worry about the open world - absolutely hate ubi-like open worlds and most open worlds in shooters in general. Don't like stealth, the dead sections between shooting, story scenes etc. From the impressions here sounds like I should wait, even though the 38ish $ price tag is pretty attractive.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I've been itching to get this for the Doom-like combat but I worry about the open world - absolutely hate ubi-like open worlds and most open worlds in shooters in general. Don't like stealth, the dead sections between shooting, story scenes etc. From the impressions here sounds like I should wait, even though the 38ish $ price tag is pretty attractive.

there is no stealth, the only thing you can skill is a move where you do a 100% kill when an enemy doesn´t see you beforehand, after that there is action. this is a pure shooter, no stealth elements

this is pretty much an open world in the Ubistyle and the shooting is only in camps, otherwise you drive around in your car.

these are the things you can do:

-bandit camps(many)
-shoot some towers that shoot back
-races
-convois
-arks(gives you skills, like droppods where enemies are around)
-mutant hideouts(shoot 30 mutant eggs)
-finding other dead "Walkers"(the main char is a Walker too)
-Mutant Bash TV (funny arena mode)
-looting meteorites which are guarded by enemies
-activate a solar panel and defend it from enemies

there are also many ? on the map which mostly lead to lootable stuff which you need for upgrading

Last edited:

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Is this 7-8 hours in the same way that BOTW can be completed in like 2 hours if you ignore everything and blitz straight through it?

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Is it just me, or did the OP provide more info and marketing than Bethesda?

Already pre-purchased. Just waiting to unlock. Can't wait.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
That what is Rage 2 video got me very hyped, I never played the first and I never cared about this games buzz. if the PC port is good I think I'll jump in.