• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
do you think they should do a special optimization for the Xbox One X? that is too much work, was clear from the get go that this machine won´t be pushed to the max at all because it would be much more work for developers to achieve that.

"just screams wrong" is nonsense imo, you can´t expect that devs will go the extra mile for one console, they will try to achieve an equal level for both upgraded consoles and that is it.

people expected way too much out of the X´s performance advantage...

Let's assume, because at this point that's all we can do, that the pro runs it locked 60fps most of the time. Let's just assume. If that was the case, then the X will also run it the same or better. Which means that the difference in power, which is about a third, is going to waste.

Now, power isn't all the same. Cpu deals with things differently to gpu. But here I see a graphically intensive game but not cpu intensive.

Regardless... if the game was cpu bound, they should be able to increase resolution without much getting in the way. If it's gpu bound then the pro will likely run utterly piss poor compared to the x at release.

It doesn't make any sort of sense. There's a reason that you usually see a 1080p/1440p or 1440p/4k divide, and that's because the power difference between the two make it easy.

It's essentially, if done right, possible to get the X release higher res by default, because there will be power gone to waste.

That's why it doesn't make sense. You can use the exact same optimisations and set up on one machine and then just use that on X and have performance to spare.

All of this is telling me one thing... the Pro will run really badly. And that's a massive shame. It's also making me worried about about base consoles.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it won't be an issue anymore next gen. Unless someone decides that they need to do cinematic gameplay because the human eyes can't see more than 24 fps.

It's easier to market better graphics and many devs, including 1st party, do not want to take the time to give players options. It's sad that 30fps has become the norm which is why many seem to not care about 60fps because most games on consoles do that. Even Naughty Dog promoted 60fps for The Last of Us 2 telling everyone how much better it feels only to them follow up with a 30fps game. Graphics sell.

do you think they should do a special optimization for the Xbox One X? that is too much work, was clear from the get go that this machine won´t be pushed to the max at all because it would be much more work for developers to achieve that.

"just screams wrong" is nonsense imo, you can´t expect that devs will go the extra mile for one console, they will try to achieve an equal level for both upgraded consoles and that is it.

people expected way too much out of the X´s performance advantage...

They do it easily enough on the PC, why is it so diffult to grasp that it shouldn't happen on the X as well compared to the Pro?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The separate Avalanche team have been doing some good work to Just Cause 4, graphically speaking, so I can see them adding a higher resolution mode as a patch down the line

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
With those fps-res on og consoles and the different engine than doom-wolf, it is no wonder they can't do it on switch. Totaly acceptable.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden

Let's assume all your assumptions are wrong. Let's instead assume the one x version runs at a higher visual fildelity. Higher res is not the only thing extra gpu resources can be used for.

Or let's assume the pro version targets 60 but more often is somewhere around 50. Then maybe the one x uses its power to stay closer to 60?

Let us just assume a bunch of ridduculus stuff we have no idea of. The let us draw uninformed conclusions from those assumptions. Seems like a great idea.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Let's assume all your assumptions are wrong. Let's instead assume the one x version runs at a higher visual fildelity. Higher res is not the only thing extra gpu resources can be used for.

Or let's assume the pro version targets 60 but more often is somewhere around 50. Then maybe the one x uses its power to stay closer to 60?

Let us just assume a bunch of ridduculus stuff we have no idea of. The let us draw uninformed conclusions from those assumptions. Seems like a great idea.

I already said we know little to nothing about it, and that the pro may run like ass or the x may run with have fidelity.

And when you don't have actual facts the only thing left is to "assume". As for uninformed, while I haven't worked with avalanche tech, I've been working with id software tech for 20 years.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody. There isn't a single case where 30fps is better than 60fps. Only people who will disagree are people who have never gone back and played something they are used to in 30 then play it in 60+. You will never want to go back. The downgrade is too big.

Not everybody. Speak for yourself. I don't care about 60fps if it means 1080p, especially for a single player game. I'd rather play at 4K30 instead. And I play games on my PC at 165fps and PS4 at 30fps. I can go back and forth. The downgrade in resolution and IQ is more annoying.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Having both the Pro and the X be 1080/60 despite the massive power difference isn't right. At least they confirmed an FoV slider finally

ChuckStank

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Everybody. There isn't a single case where 30fps is better than 60fps. Only people who will disagree are people who have never gone back and played something they are used to in 30 then play it in 60+. You will never want to go back. The downgrade is too big.

Yeah, no. I've switched back and forth before such as in OnRush and Forza Horizon 4. I still prefer to play in 4K.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I take an immersive single player game in 4K/30 any day over 1080/60. MP is a different matter but having played for a while in 4K (or CB), going back to 1080 is a no no. Not that it's looks bad, but I can clearly see the diff.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having both the Pro and the X be 1080/60 despite the massive power difference isn't right. At least they confirmed an FoV slider finally
There could be other graphical changes that we don't know about, such as the X version running 60 fps more consistently, better draw distance, higher resolution shadows etc.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Dunno about that chief, I play the last of us at 4K/30 after long playing it at 1080p 60 at release. I've been back, didn't feel this big downgrade you mentioned.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this so badly.

But I also know it'll be 50% off on Black Friday and I have such a deep backlog right now.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I read this as Ryse 2 for a minute, got confused as to why Bethesda was involved, then became scared that like Mysterio I was from another dimension.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
The amount of people in her who want to play a fast paced shooter at anything less than 60 is dumbfounding.
It's also strange to see this weird sense of entitlement to a 4K option.

As if the number of people who could actually use it would come anywhere near that of a 60fps mode.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Last of us was 720p 30 at release. It is a slower paced game though so the frame rate isnt as big of a deal. In RAGE it will be noticeable for sure.

Alright let me do this one, there are plenty of people who played Doom and Wolfenstein on PC/PS4/X1 who play it on the Switch and the 30fps doesn't phase them.

If the developers were all about the 60fps life then the base consoles would have been at that framerate too. At this point give us choices.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
It's also strange to see this weird sense of entitlement to a 4K option.

As if the number of people who could actually use it would come anywhere near that of a 60fps mode.
Asking for options that other games have is entitlement? No one is demanding it, just wishing the choice was there.

The strange thing to me is how a good portion of this forum hates giving people choices.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Asking for options that other games have is entitlement? No one is demanding it, just wishing the choice was there.

The strange thing to me is how a good portion of this forum hates giving people choices.
I'm all for options. The only console games I pay full price for are the ones that give me the option I want most (60fps).

But if only one is possible, I'm glad RAGE 2 is choosing the one people will benefit most from. 4K userbase is still tiny and a supersampled 1080p image is nothing compared to doubled framerate.