• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

saw this happened about a week ago at the australia open.

at first watch i didn't mind it that much but the more i thought about it the more it annoyed me. imagine you were her protective uncle or father, don't touch her like that. a pat on the back is fine and way more appropriate.

what do you guys think? am i way off here?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on, he's being polite and doesn't seem to be crossing any ground close to inappropriate.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
being latino i always hated being kissed on the cheek as a greeting but it was cultural so idk

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel weird to me, but kisses are a standard greeting in Spain, aren't they?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why a protective uncle or father and not a protective mother or aunt? Also, was there a concerned relative or are you just kicking up a dust storm over something no one involved is actually upset about?

Jun 12, 2018
My first thought when reading the title was "awww, how sweet"

I shoulda known that this thread would actually be a critique. Atleast OP acknowledges that he may be off here, because he is.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The slomo is what makes it incredibly weird looking lmao.

If this was an american doing it then there would be a problem because thats not the norm but Spain is it? Kissing is far more normal.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is wrong with you, its nothing. You greet people by kissing them like three times in the cheek in many places.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing, he felt bad for the girl and gave her a kiss on the cheek, maybe even a cultural thing for him.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are people ok with what happened, because culturally it's accepted in the Spanish culture in general, or more due to the context/sort of kiss.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the girl starts to move, then remembers she's not allowed and stops. "I might be have a concussion but I gotta stay put".

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being 13 years old and suddenly everyone in the stadium is looking at you and you can't cry cuz you just got beaned with a tennis ball.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Are people ok with what happened, because culturally it's accepted in the Spanish culture in general, or more due to the context/sort of kiss.
Both. He's being polite, in many cultures a kiss on the cheek is like saying hi. I've been kissed on the cheek by relatives or family friends I haven't met before. This is absolutely nothing.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Did the girl complain? Did her parents complain? I dont see the issue here.

Imagine your 12yo self would be kissed on the cheek by Emilia Clarke. No one would bat an eye.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The video title and the slo-mo are creepy additions to this moment. Yet the way Federer approached the courtside woman after being called out for swearing seemed more threatening than this.

That said, if there isn't already a rule regarding contact with courtside assistants, there will be now.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Did the girl complain? Did her parents complain? I dont see the issue here.

trx0yfo8zpc41.jpg

Nope!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I was fearing it was going to be on the lips but it just seemed like he was saying he was sorry. Seems pretty tame IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's nothing, also it's funny to make a thread like this and then go into some "imagine you were her protective uncle or father" type rhetoric.

Many folks on this board need to get out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.