• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not super into any of these but they're very well done. Sonic also looks better here than the teasers for the live action movie so far

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
c0b78248062e08ebdc00cc2ff71952a3.jpg
yall

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling it: this is a better realistic Sonic than whatever the Sonic movie comes up with.

Very excited to see Mewtwo.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
These look creepy af and kind of cool to me at the same time.

No different than any other high quality fa art then lol

Gimme Incineroar please

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I think that I'm just not used to seeing them with so much detail, once the shock value passed I actually began to like the designs. I want to see Mario though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is off topic, but you asked. On a purely technical level I feel like so much of it is effects for effects sake. They've pushed the roughness maps so low, killing any real tangible feeling to the materials, in favour of prioritising reflections. There's a distinct lack of texture, go look at any good substance materials on artstation and it should be clear what I mean. Marble shouldn't have a pronounced normal map or anything, but everything is so artificially flat and lacking.

All of that is based around what I imagine the artist was going for, which is a realistic material interpretation of the temple of time. I think if you're willing to rebuild the temple from a design standpoint, that could look cool (referencing something like Westminster abbey or whatever you wanted) but what they seem to have done is gone halfway and ultimately stopped, retaining the vast majority of the N64 layout, and more than that, it's detailing. Naturally the N64 environment was designed to adhere to the platform limitations, and is therefore a really boxy space - so rendering all of this up with "realistic" materials without adding significant geometry changes or additional details feels like it's just giant slabs of marble cubes. Because that's exactly what it is. There's a wonderful example of "temple of time" architecture in a ruin in Tintern in Wales, the kind of thing that would look amazing if realistically rendered as a temple of time. If your comeback is "it's just a fan art project, don't overthink it." Or "not everyone is a professional artist", then what's even the fucking point. I think that's such a poor, patronising way to treat amateur work, like it's made by kids and put on fridges. Nobody is going into some students portfolio and shitting on them personally. These ue4 works have been shared millions of times and champion led as "the way the next Zelda should look". If people are "allowed" to make positive comments to the point of suggesting it should lead the franchise, people are allowed to say why it really shouldn't, if that's how they feel.

I think that illustrates why I don't like those works, and if you're looking for a "justification" of my opinion on the artwork in the thread, I've done that twice, I'm not doing it again. If you disagree, not only am I okay with that, I encourage you to explain why you like these things. I encourage anyone to talk about art to whatever level they feel able to, and criticise whatever they want, celebrate whatever you want, and simply bring discussion to the table. In my opinion, "lol I hate this" and "lol Nintendo hire this guy" are both as equally empty as one another.

The thing is, right now Zelda games, even BotW, already have simplistic geometry and bland texture work, so I don't really understand how your complaints regarding that particular example or those points hold up in comparison.

The lighting, shadows, texture work, materials, shaders and reflections in current Zelda games are all far less impressive, not necessarily out of art direction, but technical limitation. I can understand you thinking that fan example has too many reflections, but I don't understand how you can complain about the texture work, geometry or whatever else, whilst not simultaneously disliking what Zelda games have thus far showcased. At least in the fan example the marble work, geometric make up, lighting, shadows etc looks somewhat true to form, in BotW some of the textures etc just look like a blurry mish mash.

Last edited:

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
The thing is, right now Zelda games, even BotW, already have simplistic geometry and bland texture work, so I don't really understand how your complaints regarding that particular example or those points hold up in comparison.

The lighting, shadows, texture work, draw distance and reflections in current Zelda games are all far less impressive, not necessarily out of art direction, but technical limitation. I can understand you thinking that fan example has too many reflections, but I don't understand how you can complain about the texture work, geometry or whatever else, whilst not simultaneously disliking what Zelda games have thus far showcased. At least in the fan example the marble work, geometric make up etc looks somewhat true to form, in BotW some of the textures etc just look like a blurry mish mash.
Because current zelda games don't adopt realistic materials. There is parity between their artistic direction and their geometrical/ texture choices. If you're going to attempt to render marble as marble, metal as metal, PBR and all, then slapping it on a half-assed interpretation of the N64s geometry looks terrible. I don't think it has "too many reflections", i think its prioritised reflections to the point of robbing its realistic materials of any realism. Nobody is saying an 8k texture isn't less blurry than BOTW's textures and their obvious limitations, but its cohesive. Again, this is just a case of people thinking Minecraft 4k texture packs look good. I don't think they do. Technically impressive doesn't mean artistically cohesive. "How can you complain"? is this a joke? All this looks like to me is that in your mind, more numbers, more draw distance = more art. If you really want my opinion simplified, its this: Zelda games don't force awkward hyper realistic textures onto limited geometry, because it looks bad. With your line of logic, Okami just needs a fur shader and real-time shadows and dynamic GI to look better, right?

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
I don't get these sort of comments. I mean, can you guys picture Samus in her suits from Prime or Super? They don't exactly look feminine to me either, which makes sense as they're just robotic suits, nothing form fitting
The small waist, long legs and overall design of the game's suits have a feminine look to me. Here it just doesn't have it, the art style its great but like I said, personally I can't picture Samus in it.

Oct 26, 2017
The small waist, long legs and overall design of the game's suits have a feminine look to me. Here it just doesn't have it, the art style its great but like I said, personally I can't picture Samus in it.
I'll give you the small waist but, outside of that, it always looked like the sort of suit anyone could be in

That might be because of the lack of those shoulder orbs...and because it looks kinda generic

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Link looks like a supermodel

Samus looks a bit too masculine

Bowser is stuff if nightmare fueld by the smb1 movie

Sonic looks like those furry plush toys

Beside that .....

Beefy fox looks like a overwatch character, I love it.

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
this is the next one he'll be posting. get ready for hunky sonic.
dwpzxpvvyaezg1q3vcts.jpg

Thats goku super saiyan 3

I loved both Fox and Sonic designs, although maybe it's the furry in me that's speaking.

Bowser looks neat, like he belongs in a nightmarish version of the Mario Universe.

The only complaints I have is on Link and Samus, they look generic and in the case of link the realistic style looks way off. Like he would be more suited for a LOTR movie than a zelda game.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I never realised how ridiculously good some of this guys sculpts and models are. He's insanely talented.

DvXeV7vWkAApekR.jpg

DgtMy7RU0AYPZ9Y.jpg

igor-catto-val-04.jpg

9bbdc85e626cf72ec64f08b26a8d3f26.jpg

Dh_Zw9AXUAQjvUM.jpg

2bP4pJr4wVimqCWjYimXJe2cnCgnK7nQRbAXMoE5axW

DarkOneElite.jpg

rafael-grassetti-19534-104166202940633-5037502-n.jpg
He's honestly the best character artist in the industry. And the speed in which he can do things is honestly insane, I've sat and watched him model a flawless torso out of clay in minutes.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because current zelda games don't adopt realistic materials. There is parity between their artistic direction and their geometrical/ texture choices. If you're going to attempt to render marble as marble, metal as metal, PBR and all, then slapping it on a half-assed interpretation of the N64s geometry looks terrible. I don't think it has "too many reflections", i think its prioritised reflections to the point of robbing its realistic materials of any realism. Nobody is saying an 8k texture isn't less blurry than BOTW's textures and their obvious limitations, but its cohesive. Again, this is just a case of people thinking Minecraft 4k texture packs look good. I don't think they do. Technically impressive doesn't mean artistically cohesive. "How can you complain"? is this a joke? All this looks like to me is that in your mind, more numbers, more draw distance = more art. If you really want my opinion simplified, its this: Zelda games don't force awkward hyper realistic textures onto limited geometry, because it looks bad. With your line of logic, Okami just needs a fur shader and real-time shadows and dynamic GI to look better, right?

See I don't find BotW's visuals particularly cohesive at all, unless being cohesively bland, boring and flat looking counts. So much of it is overly simplistic or basic looking, a lot has a washed out look to it, IQ is poor, there's an overt haziness and repetition to many of the shrines etc, the lighting, shadows and reflections are often really dull or flat looking, textures often blurry and undefined, materials and shaders lacking and so on.

I get these things are down to technical limitations, but I don't think there's a parity between the art and technical limitations at all, instead it just seems like the stripped down art and assets are hampered directly as a result of those technical limitations. I actually found many of the past Zelda games to have better art directions, since the colourful, contrasty, geometrically simpler and cartoony nature suited the hardware limitations. BotW is this weird halfway house that isn't fully successful in either imo.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guy seems to have a problem NOT using human proportions. Not a hedgehog and not a fox, for sure.

Bowser looks straight out of God of war, no doubt, but this is a very unique take on link. He also managed to make Samus looks like a dude, without showing anything from his face, amazing.

Will keep watching.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
See I don't find BotW's visuals cohesive at all, well, unless being cohesively bland and flat looking counts. So much of it is overly simplistic or basic looking, a lot has a washed out look to it, IQ is poor, there's an overt haziness and repetition to many of the shrines etc, the reflections are often really basic looking, textures often blurry and undefined, materials and shaders lacking and so on.

I get these things are down to technical limitations, but I don't think there's a parity between the art and technical limitations at all, instead it just seems like the stripped down art and assets are hampered directly as a result of those technical limitations. I actually found many of the past Zelda games to have better art directions, since the colourful, contrasty and cartoony nature suited the hardware limitations. BotW is this weird halfway house that isn't fully successful in either imo.
That's absolutely fine. You're in the camp of people who don't think BOTW looks good because of its technical limitations, I'm in the camp of people who think it looks great and cohesive despite them. I wish they had pushed some of the colour choices, particularly at night when things can absolutely look drab and washed out (primarily for gameplay and readability reasons, although I still think colour grading would have really helped). But to me its ten times better than the aforementioned unreal projects, for the reasons i've already explained. I'm not going to derail further.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
"Samus looks too masculine/like a guy" is some real bullshit and a symptom of how gamers have been conditioned to expect unrealistic proportions/impractical armor to denote "femininity."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely fine. You're in the camp of people who don't think BOTW looks good because of its technical limitations, I'm in the camp of people who think it looks great and cohesive despite them. I wish they had pushed some of the colour choices, particularly at night when things can absolutely look drab and washed out (primarily for gameplay and readability reasons, although I still think colour grading would have really helped). But to me its ten times better than the aforementioned unreal projects, for the reasons i've already explained. I'm not going to derail further.
He just gave you the non-technical reasons he didn't like BOTW

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok, here it is. yall aren't ready.

mewtwo is next
screenshot2019-01-07agge0l.png

You know what I kinda like it.

For some reason this style works better for the anthro characters for me. Maybe because it's still needs to keep some of the stylization while the human characters lean more to the realism.

Kinda wanna see their take on Incineroar and Wolf now.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
i mean it's great art... hideous design

maybe that was the point

but for me:

I don't mind samus but it's too masculine

link looks too emo ... and reminds me of the skyrim link haha

fox looks awful... too buff his proportions are bad

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The "Samus is too masculine" is straight up garbage posting.
In the first game, the fact that you were playing a woman the whole game was a surprise since her armor wasn't sexualised at all.
Armor isn't supposed to show your body curves, it's supposed to protect it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic actually looks pretty decent because it somewhat embraces his cartoony origins by maintaining the huge eyes and the pose feels like it fits the character much better than the others. Mewtwo's pose looks like a better fit than the initial batch too

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This is why Nintendo doesn't give their IPs to any Western studios unless they put Miyamoto or similar right behind you to supervise everything, holy shit they look... not good at all. Awesome technical skills, but that's it IMHO.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Lots of games with worse technical options don't look flat and washed out. That was an artistic choice.
I'm just repeating myself again, because you're not interested in reading the part where I said "I wish they had pushed some of the colour choices, particularly at night when things can absolutely look drab and washed out (primarily for gameplay and readability reasons, although I still think colour grading would have really helped)." My opinion hasn't changed in the past 15 minutes, I still think that BOTW could have benefited from some nice colour correction and particularly a push towards a few richer, darker hues. I don't know what else you want me to say. I still think it looks better than the unreal fan stuff. I'm done talking about this.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Sonic looks way better than I was expecting, though it still looks somewhat weird given how anatomically different it is. Can't wait to see his Mewtwo.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just repeating myself again, because you're not interested in reading the part where I said "I wish they had pushed some of the colour choices, particularly at night when things can absolutely look drab and washed out (primarily for gameplay and readability reasons, although I still think colour grading would have really helped)." My opinion hasn't changed in the past 15 minutes, I still think that BOTW could have benefited from some nice colour correction and particularly a push towards a few richer, darker hues. I don't know what else you want me to say. I still think it looks better than the unreal fan stuff. I'm done talking about this.
The point is, don't dismiss people who don't like BOTW's style as simply being slaves to technology. There are perfectly legitimate artistic reasons to not be a fan of BOTW.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of talent on display here, but most of these aren't my style. I do like the Bowser though and am curious about his Mewtwo.