• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're back to a somewhat normal length episode.

New Business: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Shinobi (Sega Ages), Luigi's Mansion 3, Final Fantasy V, HOES MAD (Byleth in Smash), Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Sky Skipper, Ys VIII
Listener Mail: Jon's Top 5, "The Dark Decade of Mario", over/underrated games, best Smash spirits
Outro: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Hope Alive
Emails: Looking for Rhythm Thief chat: the Retroactive records Thursday

Download: Here
Time: 2'35"18

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Geez, you spend the weekend playing a visual novel that stars Arsene Lupin and then you get to deal with another famous (?) phantom thief.

New Business: Wide Ocean Big Jacket
Retroactive: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure
Outro: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Je Te Dis Au Revoir (I Said Goodbye)
Emails: Looks like it's too late for a predictions show.

Time: 2'03"18

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished the episode yet but as the mobile Rhythm Thief game was only brought up briefly I'm guessing this won't come up in the rest of the podcast. That game wasn't just a straight port of the 3DS game like the mobile version of Ghost Trick is, instead of exploring the city like a Layton game it was separated into missions which played out on what looked like a small linear board game and certain spaces would have one of the rhythm games when you landed on them:
7DLBRq7.jpg

Also from what I remember there were weird gacha elements where you get characters to add to your team that gave you bonuses during the rhythm games, but as there weren't many main characters in the game this meant that most of the characters you got were random NPCs like the memorable nameless backup dancers:
Ptretcg.jpg

It did have some new content though like variants of the rhythm games that had new music, such as one stage that just straight up had music from Sonic Generations:
F7UwUZY.jpg

I think it was pitched as having some new story content too, but I don't think I ever got far enough before the game was shut down to see if any of it addressed the cliffhanger that the 3DS game ended on.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
I had some notes on the mobile game but they were all second hand. Seeing this, it's a bit more wild than I realized. I respect that this was a pretty-significant reimagining, but it seems like it scrapped all the things Rhythm Thief did well in order to put the sub-par rhythm games front and center.

Thanks for the details, I had no idea and it just adds to the weird story that is Rhythm Thief.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
what if that's just teasing all the characters that'll be in a future project x zone movie

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Whether Tom Nook is a dictator or a venture capitalist, he still gets the guillotine. So what does it matter?

New Business: AC Direct, Fire Emblem Three Houses (Cindered Shadows), Puyo Puyo 2, River City Girls, Pop 'n Twinbee
Listener Mail: Where's my Switch Arkham Collection, Alien Isolation is good actually
Outro: Mickey's Speedway USA - Everglades
Emails: Normally we'd eat the rich, but raccoon tastes foul.

Time: 1'49"48

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
You should close the lid. It's probably too late, Pandora, but you should at least try to close the lid.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How to easily grind renown in Three Houses post DLC: Do all level grinding on the money maps, turn extra cash into seeds (99 of each 1 or 2 star seed converts to just under 5000 renown for 50k gold; I started a run last night with nearly 133,000 renown). And yes, this comes up.

New Business (predominantly JRPG edition): Murder by Numbers brief mention, Sega Ages Phantasy Star, Collection of Mana (specifically Final Fantasy Adventure), Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Persona 5 Strikers/Scramble, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Outro: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - The Last Desperate Struggle
Emails: "One day, we'll find our balance again."

Time: 2'21"41

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I was totally waiting for the P5R review embargo so I could post Syrenne's localization review and didn't forget because of medical shit.

New Business: Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Doom (1993), Murder by Numbers, Nier (2010)
Second half: E3 cancelled due to pandemic and not doxxing like it deserved, Nintendo Lego
Outro: Kirby 64 - Ripple Star
Emails: Send in ideas for the Episode of the Beast

Time: 1'58"46

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
After an absolutely heartbreaking day, the good doctor being in is just what I needed.

New Business: Voxelgram, Bravely Default II (demo), Ori and the WIll of the Wisps, Ring Fit Adventure, Baten Kaitos, AVICII Investor, Mario+Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC, Final Fantasy Adventure
Outro: Baten Kaitos - Castle in the Sand
Emails: They actually apologized for Bravely Second, surprisingly.

Time: 2'24"05

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
James talking about Disaster Report 4 two weeks ago was one of the most hilarious New Business segments in my recent memory. I was losing it. He sold me on the game to be honest. $60 is too steep for me especially right now but I downloaded the demo and will probably buy it on sale.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
This game is for someone. It has an audience. But at 60? No, I can't recommend it for the curious.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
James, I checked out Kuukiyomi: Consider It on sale last night. I haven't played it yet but I figured a quirky, Wario Ware style game is probably something I need.

Baten Kaitos is a name I haven't heard in a while but I'm glad Guillaume is enjoying it. There's a reason why Kalas is a dick so he's on the right track about a redemption turn. There is so much sexual tension between Kalas and Xelha that it's not even funny. And The Great Mizuti is totally not a dude which surprises everyone.

I don't remember Sagi being too much of a dick but it's been a while since I played it. I kind of preferred BK1's deep, poker style combat system over BKO's streamlined, fighting game style system. Sadly, the Baten Kaitos IP is split between Nintendo and Bamco so as much as I would love an HD remaster of both games or a sequel, that's a pipe dream.

Anyway, it was great to hear the doctor back in the house. It's so funny that Planet Gamecube was the one of the first Internet gaming message boards I posted on as tweenage kid in the early 2000s but I forgot my username. I'm pretty sure it exists so I can get a look into how BIG of a Nintendo fanboy I was. I remember arguing about how stupid Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles' GBA connectivity was with other users who defended it. It made 0 sense to pimp that out over Gamecube controllers so I'm glad I was right.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
That...game like thing...is really amusing. Enjoy it.

I really love Baten Kaitos and Gui almost got me to the point where I'd be replaying it.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Not to go all fitness nerd on you, GuillaumeNWR but you might get better performance out of Ring Fit Adventure if you increase your protein intake. Some added yoghurt, a tin of tuna, tofu, quinoa in place of rice etc in the diet are easy ways to achieve this. It helps the muscles recover quicker and, when they do recover, gives them the building blocks they need to grow back bigger.

RFA certainly won't make anyone swole like Dr Metts said, but any exercise that stimulates the muscles beyond their current capacities and (importantly) leaves them sore will stimulate growth. You can achieve quite noticeable musculature by concentrating on hypertrophy vĂ­a low weight high rep exercises, which is exactly what RFA helps with. You'll top out at some point, at which more RFA won't trigger any more muscle growth, but it won't be nothing.

EDIT: Think of protein as being like easy-experience DLC you can eat

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm the exception to the rule that everyone is playing Animal Crossing, for the record. But I did pick up my first Bylad run of Three Houses again tonight.

Greg is out for the ice cold NFL draft. In his place is Bill, one of the few people insane enough to host a podcast about Stadia.

New Business: Super Mario Maker 2 Final Update, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Heave Ho, Good Job!, Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams "Owltimate Edition", European game devs and copyright infringment
Listener Mail: The impact of COVID on the industry
Outro: Trials of Mana - Powell
Emails: Smoke 'em while you got 'em

Time: 2'35"07

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks for the tip, viciouskillersquirrel! I do have most of those ingredients and could probably do more with them.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The absolute state of medical licensing in the Mushroom Kingdom, I swear.

Listener Mail: Dr Goomba Tower and medical malpractice, revolution v evolution, Mario Wrestling 2k21
New Business: Streets of Rage 4, Sakura Wars (2020), Super Mario Maker 2, Mechstermination Force
Outro: Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - Glamorous Sky
Emails: If you missed it from James's land speed record

Time: 2'32"48

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I just want to say that Bill was a lovely guest in last weeks episode!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on Sakura Wars and the goombs.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
James mentioning the non-descript action figure from the Wii U marketing made me go look up that video because I had completely erased it from my memory, and man that was a weird video.
youtu.be

Nintendo Wii U In Action - Zombies Skit - Nintendo E3 2012

The E3 hilarity gets off to a zombie filled start thanks to Nintendo. Sharp-eyed gamers will see the Wii U controller in action and some of the social featur...

I like the implication that you could just video call random people on Miiverse, that would have been a disaster fun.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Idea for a future Patreon podcast (assuming the in-game options let you do this): Someone plays (or has recordings of them playing) Donkey Konga but with the background music off so you only hear the drum sound effects, the other hosts have to name the song. If this is too difficult they can look at a list of all the songs in the game so they know all the possible options.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Let's pray for the sake of Guillaume's twitter mentions that the Paper Mario artwork isn't indicative of the party members that will join you.
4H7Dm2K.jpg

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Let's pray for the sake of Guillaume's twitter mentions that the Paper Mario artwork isn't indicative of the party members that will join you.
4H7Dm2K.jpg
It matches up with the art (including Bob-Omb) on the eShop, so I'll say Spike-san is a lock. He must have a manager at Nintendo championing him, or something!

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
For months now, whenever the guys joked about Spike, I'd get confused about why they'd hate on such a loveable scamp. It's only now that I'm looking at this artwork that I realised I was hearing Spike but thinking of Poochy.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No New Business this week, but we do have a tease of James's next obsession. Also, we'll probably have a Retroactive decision next week (and I'll be updating the OP once the game is decided, call me out if I don't)

Listener Mail: Holes in the Switch library, why services and Nintendo don't mix, bring all of the remakes
Outro: Pelagic 2 - Perfect Dark
Emails: Good idea: Push for Rygar. Bad idea: Push for Punch Out.

Time: 1'36"28

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Dr. Mario World on Twitter

“Yellow: "The second doctor coming May 28, 2 AM PT is Dr. Dolphin! This kind doctor will let you ride on their back when you're in a pinch. Just be careful not to let your bag get wet...and please don't hurt me." #DrMarioWorld”

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
James had thoughts on Dr. Dolphin et al.

New Business: Super Mega Baseball 3, Mario Golf: World Tour, Streets of Rage 4, Panel de Pon / Switch Online May 2020, Super Mario Maker 2 (the code for Michael Cole's levels is JQRCNGCFG)
Listener Mail: Explaining inexplicable love, wither the TV-only Switch
Outro: Xenoblade Chronicles - Title Theme
Emails: The one good thing about 2020 is that E3 f**ks off, even if it means we don't get a E3 RFN episode.

Time: 2'11"07

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I haven't listened to this week's episode yet (*gasp* No one is playing Xenoblade?! :p). But I had a feeling James was going to weigh in on Doctor Mario's newest addition haha. I didn't finish reading the article but it's surprising how many iterations Dr. Mario has had. It makes me wonder if anyone has paid for any microtransactions for playing it.