• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, well you know. White men did some really cruel and terrible things to the native Americans for example, they also used persons of color as slaves in the past. That's something you can't ever really shake off, especially with jerks that seem to use their inferiority complex to attack people that look different. So I understand why this is offending a certain demographic but only after thinking about it, after it was pointed out to me. The issue is that it's something a Japanese company can't relate to some things will accidentally look racist because no one in Japan would think "oh look, it's a monkey and a black boxer" -they would think "oh it's Donkey Kong and he's aided by that boxer dude from punch out" instead -even the programmers of the game.

Someone asked how this could pass QA, well QA is mostly making sure the translations are spot on, the game content of Smash Bros. Ultimate is made in Japan.

In Japan? Everywhere around the world? Can you prove this assumption? If monkeys were that bad, they certainly wouldn't get a place in the Japanese and Chinese horoscope, don't you think? You know, incidentally 2019 is the year of the monkey. Let's see what the Japanese think about that zodiac sign: They are clever and skillful in grand-scale operations and are smart when making financial deals. They are inventive, original and are able to solve the most difficult problems with ease.

You're an ignorant racist. You might not think so but you are.

Last edited:

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
He was responding to a specific poster saying they should remove the Dark Pit alt because it was dark skin, not the Villager one.
Yeah, Mr-Joker's post is kind of muddying the waters of this thread.

Things pretty much everyone in the thread agree are problematic:
  • Mr Sandman & Dee Jay spirit fights using the Kongs as their reps
  • Tac's spirit fights using the black Villager alt
Things Mr-Joker pointed out, but no one else seems to agree with them:
  • Dark Pit having an alt color that gives him a darker skin tone

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah the sandman one was the only one i caught. I was super surprised and in disbelief/ denial at first. I wasn't trying to be that guy, but i was like this is pretty offensive (as a black man). Especially how our race has been comically associated with monkeys. Could've easily just had Litte Mac instead.

Somewhat related but Paz Ortega's spirit is just.....horrible....
acoaaxbeu1o1ljuuir9o.jpg

Last edited:

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
This doesn't bother me personally, I just skim through the spirits for the sake of collecting, but I can see where you all are coming from with this, and something must be done

Last edited:

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question.

Im asking to be educated here. I'm hoping I'm not moderated again for this, because I'm trying to use this opportunity to learn.

What would establish something like this as racist? What I mean I guess is, that I always understood that if POC deem something as racist/harmful, that its racist and harmful. Non-POC can certainly come to support POC in threads like these, but I was always under the impression that POC were the ones who made the decision on what is/isn't racist.

I've seen some POC in this thread saying its not something to get worked up over, and I've also seen them say its harmful and problematic.

So if there isn't a consensus between POC, how do we truly know what is and isn't harmful, considering a lot of this stuff can be interpreted subjectively.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question.

Im asking to be educated here. I'm hoping I'm not moderated again for this, because I'm trying to use this opportunity to learn.

What would establish something like this as racist? What I mean I guess is, that I always understood that if POC deem something as racist/harmful, that its racist and harmful. Non-POC can certainly come to support POC in threads like these, but I was always under the impression that POC were the ones who made the decision on what is/isn't racist.

I've seen some POC in this thread saying its not something to get worked up over, and I've also seen them say its harmful and problematic.

So if there isn't a consensus between POC, how do we truly know what is and isn't harmful, considering a lot of this stuff can be interpreted subjectively.

Deciding if portraying black men as apes is a racist stereotype can't be interpreted subjectively. It is a simple fact. Because that racist stereotype has been used for decades to discriminate both subtly and obviously.

This would be very easy to find out if you were to simply Google "black people, ape, racist " or any combination of these words. It would be beyond easy to educate yourself about the topic. There has to be some baseline established to have a discussion. You can't discuss math if people disagree on what the number 2 means because they haven't actually ever done any math.

Just to get you started: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/opinion/roseanne-racism-blacks-apes.html

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Smash has a big problem in that department as one of Dark Pit alt costume has darker skin, it's the third one with the black outfit and red scarf;

1024px-Dark_Pit_Palette_%28SSBU%29.png

Apparently it's suppose to be a reference to Magnus who has darker skin but still that's pretty bad as you can't just darken a white character skin and call it a reference.

Truly highlights how out of touch Nintendo is and how the localization team failed to catch them.
This one is literally you making a problem out of nothing for reasons I dont know.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I agree that there's a good conversation to be had about whether or not this was malicious, my main concern is that it really should be changed either way. It's not something I think should be left up, it seems to have made others feel the way I did- it's surprising and unpleasant.

I agree. As long as they change it, I can let this go. Regardless of how this got through it's what they're going to do after that will really tell us where they stand regarding this issue.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honest question.

I'd say it depends on the situation and severity of it all. I do feel there's credence to someone not being a POC and being offended. I feel that shows empathy if not anything else in regards to making an effort to understand what is wrong here and how would someone feel if they were in our shoes in this scenario which in my opinion just shows as good a will in understanding what we do go through as POC and just having a better understanding of our culture. I personally can only respect that.

Every POC has their levels of tolerance though, What would offend me as a POC wouldn't offend another POC and vice versa but i think there's some things that are just flat out unacceptable and this is one of those IMO. I'm honestly not SUPER offended/triggered by it, but I am mildly offended to the point that i definitely think it should be changed.

While i can see the thought process (specifically with Sandman and the association being that DK ends up being the boss right after in the related game punch out) as a POC (on the lesser more lenient end of generally being offended by racist things mind you) I can see the offense in this. Sure it's not necessarily beating you over the head with the racist tones, but the correlation can be easily made based off our history alone. Out of the 74 characters in the roster, you choose a common racist representation of a black character in multiple instances? I was only aware of sandman, but didn't even realize the other cases which in turn adds more credence to this being some underlying offensive message (or a form of ignorance from a cultural standpoint which i'll give them the benefit of the doubt at the least).

So in general when it comes to anything racist you would avoid as much as possible to do anything that has been proven to be considered racist in the past is the best thing to go by.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it depends on the situation and severity of it all. I do feel there's credence to someone not being a POC and being offended. I feel that shows empathy if not anything else in regards to making an effort to understand what is wrong here and how would someone feel if they were in our shoes in this scenario which in my opinion just shows as good a will in understanding what we do go through as POC and just having a better understanding of our culture. I personally can only respect that.

Every POC has their levels of tolerance though, What would offend me as a POC wouldn't offend another POC and vice versa but i think there's some things that are just flat out unacceptable and this is one of those IMO. I'm honestly not SUPER offended/triggered by it, but I am mildly offended to the point that i definitely think it should be changed.

While i can see the thought process (specifically with Sandman and the association being that DK ends up being the boss right after in the related game punch out) as a POC (on the lesser more lenient end of generally being offended by racist things mind you) I can see the offense in this. Sure it's not necessarily beating you over the head with the racist tones, but the correlation can be easily made based off our history alone. Out of the 74 characters in the roster, you choose a common racist representation of a black character in multiple instances? I was only aware of sandman, but didn't even realize the other cases which in turn adds more credence to this being some underlying offensive message (or a form of ignorance from a cultural standpoint which i'll give them the benefit of the doubt at the least).

So in general when it comes to anything racist you would avoid as much as possible to do anything that has been proven to be considered racist in the past is the best thing to go by.
Thank you very much for this response. This is the kind of thing I was looking for.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Oh, well, as a brazilian, we have Blanka. The good old tropical monster stereotype. And in Ryu's classic mode he's represented by a green DK in a jungle setting. Cause yes, Brazil is one big jungle and everyone is a monkey monster.

Can I say Smash is racist? I wouldn't go that far, but is it fucked up? Yes, it has been for a long time...

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not it's still the holiday season, so don't expect anything from them until early to mid-January.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, well, as a brazilian, we have Blanka. The good old tropical monster stereotype. And in Ryu's classic mode he's represented by a green DK in a jungle setting. Cause yes, Brazil is one big jungle and everyone is a monkey monster.

Can I say Smash is racist? I wouldn't go that far, but is it fucked up? Yes, it has been for a long time...
Tbf this one is more of SF fault than smash. Still it would be better if it was a giant green pikachu

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017

What? But Smash is emulating Blanka in this case, not any particular country. I'd say a green Donkey Kong fits the bill out of all characters the most.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but I wish they would. It needs to be addressed ASAP. It's a PR nightmare that might affect sales
Agreed.

I mean I don't have a Switch but I am considering if I will get one in the future but things like this just make think about skipping the game if I ever grab one. Hopefully, they do the right thing as soon as the holiday is over.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I don't even know how many people are aware of this, to me the discussion seems to be limited to this site.
This is why I asked above because I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I recall seeing the Game and Watch stuff from before launch but nothing about this.

I understand the issue and don't disagree with it to some extent but the reactions here are not on par with everyone else. Not even on reddit after doing a quick search.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah Smash has a big problem in that department as one of Dark Pit alt costume has darker skin, it's the third one with the black outfit and red scarf;

1024px-Dark_Pit_Palette_%28SSBU%29.png

Apparently it's suppose to be a reference to Magnus who has darker skin but still that's pretty bad as you can't just darken a white character skin and call it a reference.

Truly highlights how out of touch Nintendo is and how the localization team failed to catch them.

Maybe I'm missing something but there is nothing bad in what you linked......

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Has any bother another medium, even in gaming, picked up this story?
A few Nintendo sites picked it up, but the story sadly didn't gain mainstream attention (likely due to the timing of this thread in relation to Christmas). Not even GameXplain did a video, though Ash Paulsen voiced his distaste for the racism in question.

Woof, yikes on the examples in the OP.
The lineup in Smash has been a problem for a while.
What line-up, the roster? If so, there weren't many options in terms of PoC representation back in December 2015 (when the base roster was finalized).

zado19

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding depictions of harmful stereotypes
No, but I wish they would. It needs to be addressed ASAP. It's a PR nightmare that might affect sales
its the fastest selling Switch game, and the fastest in the franchise..... but this foolishness is going to drive people to return it in droves? (How else will it affect sales... because we cant be delusional enough to think this will cause people to not buy the game... right???)

Are there any other characters with jump kicks and a white and yellow colour alt that could better represent Dee Jay?

Same with Sandman, who would be a better fit than DK on the roster

For Tac, its pretty clear that they choose that alt because the colours of the shirt and shorts are close to the same colour of the garb that Tac wears...

If they use that same villager for Ninji, would that also be "racist"??

This is only "racist" imo if we are looking to be offended

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A few Nintendo sites picked it up, but the story sadly didn't gain mainstream attention (likely due to the timing of this thread in relation to Christmas). Not even GameXplain did a video, though Ash Paulsen voiced his distaste for the racism in question.

What line-up, the roster? If so, there weren't many options in terms of PoC representation back in December 2015 (when the base roster was finalized).

Yea, elma was really the only viable pick basically.

Enrico25

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Of the forums I visit only ResetEra complained about these spirits so it's not really a loss of sales for them.
Even some POC users said they don't really care whether they're going to be patched or not. Sadly I don't think they will.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I don't even know how many people are aware of this, to me the discussion seems to be limited to this site.
Was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't expect a response until awareness of this gets more widespread. And also for NOA employees to come back from holiday vacation.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR

See that's the thing, and I am sorry if I am sounding dismissive since I see the issue, but I think a lot of people just don't care.

It doesn't seems to be a PR nightmare. It doesn't seem to be deemed important enough for them to act on it ASAP.

It just is an unfortunate stereotype that may just stay that way. I have only seen the issue be so big here on ERA which is rare since these things pop up on many sites if they are big enough.

But the thing is I sincerely doubt that even those that really bothered by it will return the game a shun it.