• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought this was an inclusive and progressive forum created in response to the old website that fell short of those expectations.

I can't believe there are so many members here who are going out of their way to defend and excuse the representation of black people with monkeys.

Absolutely atrocious and I hope the mods step up and ban all who are siding with this.

Well this is the same forum where majority voted that the biggest blunder of this gen was MS revealing the Xbox One instead of a white supremacist showing his true colors.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is the same forum where majority voted that the biggest blunder of this gen was MS revealing the Xbox One instead of a white supremacist showing his true colors.
There's been so many white supremacists showing their true colors I literally can't tell who you're talking about in this case. Who is this and when and where did Era voted on this? Apparently I missed all that.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In universe DK is the champion of Punch-Out so he's the apt choice for the Punch-Out champ spirit.

illust.jpg

Villager could easily be changed to the yellow and black shirt villager. Doesn't change the fight and in some ways, matches the colours better. Like many have said, this may have been an oversight due to the alt changing during development.

The Diddy fight seems to be a choice based on his side-B move since that's part of the fights special conditions.

Yes, there are unfortunate connections, but it seems to just be unfortunate coincidence with zero malicious intent. Spirits are mostly designed to reflect their nature rather than skin tone. Balrog's spirit is represented by Little Mac for example since boxer = boxer rather than using the dark skinned Villager alt (which could work as Villager has a boxing attack).

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While playing through the World of Light I always thought that a character chosen for a spirit (when I knew it) was based on the spirits fighting style. And I am honestly not sure what is "worse" here:

- A huge boxer getting represented by a character that is also a huge brute and fights mainly with his hands who also happens to be a monkey
- A monkey representing a black character, ignoring whether his moveset best represents said character

I mean, why does no one care about Zangief being represented by Inciniroar? Does that mean he is a hairy beast? Or was that chosen because Inciniroar used Wrestling moves?

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
Still objectively a bad look is all people are trying to say

Quality™ Responses here
A finally someone with a refined palate and eye for quality and after my own heart. I'm sorry I got fed up responding to that comment for like the 3rd time. Realized this wasn't important and checked out by writing yikes. Im just bummed out about that sir moogle post and decided trying to write anything scathing or witty wasn't worth it and I can't delete a post

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt Dee Jay a capoeira fighter? That means he mainly attacks with kicks and the only characters that do so are Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta and Diddy Kong, Diddy Even has the typical hands on ground and move the legs in a circle movement that is common on capoeira

That's what I thought they were going for too when I saw the spirit in the game, but I also thought it could be seen as... problematic. This thread proves it.
I don't think they had malicious intents, just... a combination of unfortunate things.
A series of unfortunate events?

This thread has me wanting to replay Punch Out Wii badly. Such an amazing game!

Goddammit, Era now I'm salivating for a new one on Switch. Or at least give me an HD Remaster!
I wish I could be good at Punch Out. Played it many times on Nes and Super Nes, played a bit on Wii too. I'm just terrible. I played Super Punch Out again yesterday and just couldn't beat Piston Hurricane in the Minor Circuit after trying like ten times. I'm pathetic ><
But I love Little Mac, the designs and the music so it's frustrating ^^;

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I found an arcade with punch out. Felt like I was throwing money away so I read up and went back it was gone, there hasn't been a punch out arcade game I. Over 30 yeeeeeaaaarrrssss

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't matter if it's deliberate or not. It's an incredibly problematic image either way. Hope Nintendo notices this and patches it out quick.

inb4 "YOU'RE the REAL racists for noticing racist stereotypes.....

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Folks acting like they actually ever had to defend this. Smh.

You never did. You're probably not Nintendo PR. The company isn't your friend, nor are they paying you.
You reaction was to do so though. That's how you respond to an accusation of racism.

You're like console warriors but instead of whether or not Genesis had superior power or not, your opponent is the dignity of black people being reflected in games.

Era gonna Angry Jack.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It took me a few seconds before it clicked just seeing the diddy kong one. I don't recall any games press or influencers calling this out so maybe it's not apparent unless you're looking for it. Now that it's been pointed out it's pretty obvious. I dont own the game so i cant tell if the diddy/donkey are good analogs for the character fights theyre supposed to represent but that villager one kind of cements the other two. You can have an evil thief villager without him being black.

So I noticed dk and villager right off the bat and went yikes even though I knew what they were going for it's still an insensitive look. Diddy I missed but that's likely to me quickly going though the SF stuff.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's obviously not intentional but I understand why people are upset. Nintendo actively removed racial stereotypes before the game even came out and gave Villager different skin colors as a method of inclusion. People have already given plenty of examples of how and why certain fighters are chosen for Spirits, it's not always looks.

To be honest if I was on the localization team I would've definitely spoken up if I saw the DJ/Diddy spirit, but wouldn't have thought twice about DK Sandman due to Punch Out Wii.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed all the of them and definitely can see how and why people would be pissed. When I played the Diddy and DK battles the (hopefully unintentional) racism was really overt to me. I also had to take into account Japanese people made this and the history of these stereotypes might be lost on them. I can't see Nintendo not fixing this as they were really quick to apologize and fix the G&W Native American issue.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Folks acting like they actually ever had to defend this. Smh.

You never did. You're probably not Nintendo PR. The company isn't your friend, nor are they paying you.
You reaction was to do so though. That's how you respond to an accusation of racism.

You're like console warriors but instead of whether or not Genesis had superior power or not, your opponent is the dignity of black people being reflected in games.

Era gonna Angry Jack.
But some people sincerely don't believe that it's an example of racism. To assume people think so only from a desire to defend a corporation is a premature judgement.

Doesn't matter if it's deliberate or not. It's an incredibly problematic image either way. Hope Nintendo notices this and patches it out quick.

inb4 "YOU'RE the REAL racists for noticing racist stereotypes.....
I don't think people are racist for pointing it out. I think people are more surprised or incredulous that such an association (between black peoples and thieves or monkeys) is made so quickly. As in, my first thought when seeing those battles was not "they used the Kongs because the spirits are black." I just don't ascribe to the notion that any depiction of black people as thieves is inherently racist or that the Kongs simply cannot be used to represent any spirit that happens to be black. Monkeys is obviously problematic if we're talking about appearance, but I think those character choices were legitimately picked based on their moves. Would it have been forward thinking for Nintendo to see that some may have taken offense and chosen other characters? Yes, but I don't think it's a mistake or a moral lapse for them to use those characters, and like I said before I wouldn't consider it a mistake to leave it unchanged either even though it would be a nice gesture.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You clearly are not interested in an actual nuanced discussion about cultural standards or ....anything really. That's even ignoring your general disrespectfulness.
Cultural standards? This is like the go to excuse for anything Japan does that's sketchy. You aren't interested in a nuanced discussion, you're just interested in making excuses. What's really disrespectful is doing that specifically in a thread like this.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I had to have a double take when I saw the Sandman spirit.

The problematic aspects of the Tac fight completely flew over my head though, due to being unfamiliar with the character.

These need to be patched ASAP, just like the feather was.

You know, between these and the feather, I wonder if the developers get any feedback from Nintendo's localizing branches.

Like any at all.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But some people sincerely don't believe that it's an example of racism. To assume people think so only from a desire to defend a corporation is a premature judgement.

I don't think people are racist for pointing it out. I think people are more surprised or incredulous that such an association (between black peoples and thieves or monkeys) is made so quickly. As in, my first thought when seeing those battles was not "they used the Kongs because the spirits are black." I just don't ascribe to the notion that any depiction of black people as thieves is inherently racist or that the Kongs simply cannot be used to represent any spirit that happens to be black. Monkeys is obviously problematic if we're talking about appearance, but I think those character choices were legitimately picked based on their moves. Would it have been forward thinking for Nintendo to see that some may have taken offense and chosen other characters? Yes, but I don't think it's a mistake or a moral lapse for them to use those characters, and like I said before I wouldn't consider it a mistake to leave it unchanged either even though it would be a nice gesture.
Dude take a couple of hours to read up on the history of racism in America, and i'm not talking about some diet whitewash account of it. I'm talking about people using black babies as alligator bait racism, i talking about black people getting dragged through the streets stabbed beaten hung from a tree and burned alive racism. And then come realize that the same hate that caused those whites to do those things to blacks, is the same hate that causes them to look at black people as apes and thieves. And after that, I hope you realized that this type of shit can't stand, we just can't let it slide.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Isnt Dee Jay a capoeira fighter? That means he mainly attacks with kicks and the only characters that do so are Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta and Diddy Kong, Diddy Even has the typical hands on ground and move the legs in a circle movement that is common on capoeira

My thoughts exactly.....

Deleted member 9929

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised this made it into the game. Pretty disappointing, hopefully they're patch it out. As a game that many children will receive and play, having this type of imagery is really inappropriate and unexceptable.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deejay is a kickboxer. Ken could've worked well, or even Captain Falcon.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Nope. Characters like Eddy Gordo, Elena, Christie Montiero, Bob Wilson are practitioners. Dee Jay is just a kickboxer.

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
To be honest if I was on the localization team I would've definitely spoken up if I saw the DJ/Diddy spirit, but wouldn't have thought twice about DK Sandman due to Punch Out Wii.
I don't see how people could recognize Dee Jay but think Sandman was okay under any circumstance. I also feel DK is a lousy representation of his abilities: there's zero shared attacks between them and the secret boss thing is a really weak connection.

If there's any Punch-Out fighter who absolutely should've been represented by a giant Mac (other than Giga Mac), it definitely should've been Mr. Sandman. The first and latest final boss, the guy with no gimmicks, the Champion Goliath to the Challenger David, etc.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how people could recognize Dee Jay but think Sandman was okay under any circumstance. I also feel DK is a lousy representation of his abilities: there's zero shared attacks between them and the secret boss thing is a really weak connection.

If there's any Punch-Out fighter who absolutely should've been represented by a giant Mac (other than Giga Mac), it definitely should've been Mr. Sandman. The first and latest final boss, the guy with no gimmicks, the Champion Goliath to the Challenger David, etc.
Seriously, DK's smash attacks aren't even punches.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Tbh the "DK makes sense because he was a boss in punch out" argument sounds like a smoke screen.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I wonder how many people defending these Spirits also defended Game & Watch's racist attack.
Probably not a lot, if any, since there's a bit of a difference between the two. The problem of these ones is the unfortunate associations rather than depicting an actual racist charicature. I don't think you'll find many people here that don't agree that the Fire graphic or, say, that Kirby Super Star boss were problems.

The end result is ultimately offensive either way though, and if enough people are really hurt by these spirits then I hope Nintendo addresses it. But I can understand why some wouldn't put these spirit fights on the same level as actual charicatures.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding offensive stereotypes, inflammatory drive-by post, account still in junior phase
Or maybe DK was an actual character in a Punch Out game, and some people just don't really know what they're talking about, so some are just making snap assumptions without have all of the information?

Oct 25, 2017
They won't do anything right now. Holidays, you know. But when they get back, this needs to be rolled out pretty quick.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it can't be rolled out quick, they should at least send out a message to the effect of "We're sorry that we didn't catch this and we're working on a fix."
Since when was the last time they did such a thing? This would be unprecedented behavior on their part.

Someone can fetch me an example, but I can't recall it.

Would be a good move though, I agree.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did recall all copies of Mario Party 8 in the UK because of the word "spastic" so I think a patch to fix could be possible.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I'd like to say this could've been avoided if we got Doc Louis as a fighter.

Still disappointed we didn't, he always seemed like a cool inclusion as a semi-clone of Mac.