• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of DK, they could have used a giant Little Mac that spams forward smashes.
Instead of Diddy, they could have used a generic human wireframe that spams Diddy's side special.
Instead of Black Villager, they could have used the default one.

The second one requires more work than the others. But if they are not willing to put in the effort to avoid racism, then they could have excluded the Dee Jay - Diddy spirit fight altogether.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of DK, they could have used a giant Little Mac that spams forward smashes.
Instead of Diddy, they could have used a generic human wireframe that spams Diddy's side special.

The second one requires more work than the others. But if they are not willing to put in the effort to avoid racism, then they could have excluded the Dee Jay - Diddy spirit fight altogether.
Well the black villager wasn't black when they made the spirit battle. The colors match tac.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Banned (permanent): False Equivalence. History of dismissive posts in serious topics.

A white thief is allowed, but a black one isn't? So in any fictional media, black people should never be portrayed as thieves, only white people should? Do you know how racist that thought process actually is?

They actually made a South Park episode describing this entire thread / incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_Goes_Nanners

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think this was intentionally malicious since there is actual reasoning in these decisions, but they really should have thought harder about how connecting certain fighters to certain spirits could be interpreted beyond the one connecting tissue they have chosen.
Yeah, this.

You'd have to be ignorant to think they made these choices out of something as heavy as racist motives.

They're a hugely successful family friendly company that wouldn't be this blatant and stupid, they're a business and this would hurt it badly.

It's unfortunate that it has offended people and they can rectify it but to think they did this on purpose with ill will doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this.

You'd have to be ignorant to think they made these choices out of something as heavy as racist motives.

They're a hugely successful family friendly company that wouldn't be this blatant and stupid, they're a business and this would hurt it badly.

It's unfortunate that it has offended people and they can rectify it but to think they did this on purpose with ill will doesn't make any sense.

Totally agree with what you said.

As a man of color, I'm not offended, it's just an unfortunate situation and not meant maliciously.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Well the black villager wasn't black when they made the spirit battle. The colors match tac.

It's not a zero sum game. The devs had the power to make a default villager with matching clothes. But they didn't.

And whether or not it's intentional, it's still racist.

A white thief is allowed, but a black one isn't? So in any fictional media, black people should never be portrayed as thieves, only white people should? Do you know how racist that thought process actually is?

They actually made a South Park episode describing this entire thread / incident:

You are right. I forgot that white people are an oppressed minority in the United States. You got it!

Oct 25, 2017
I could almost see an okay argument that the DK/Mr. Sandman one was meant to be in reference to the fact that DK was a Punch-Out!! character, but given that Diddy Kong was not a Street Fighter character, that doesn't fly.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I hope these are changed in a patch. DK to Lil Mac Diddy to Ken and just pick another Villager alt for the Ninja looking spirit.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Dismissive to racial issues, and arguing in bad faith
The only thing I'll say is I've seen numerous POC comment in the thread saying it's fine and nothing to make a stink over.

Personally I don't feel it is my job to be offended in their place as I feel a lot of other posters are doing in this thread.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I'll say is I've seen numerous POC comment in the thread saying it's fine and nothing to make a stink over.

Personally I don't feel it is my job to be offended in their place as I feel a lot of other posters are doing in this thread.

Weird that you're ignoring the ones that aren't fine with it.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is how I feel. I don't need a white or straight person up in arms over something that I don't think is malicious in intent. Let me fight my own battles and choose them wisely.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm Mexican. I was not personally offended by Trump racist comments, but that doesnt mean it isnt an issue.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, because every PoC who commented in this thread is fine with it.

Nov 17, 2017
I haven't read far into the thread but I fully expect it's full of people trying to rationalize it as not racist. It always seems like people will agree racism exists but then doubt it when an example comes up.

Even if these weren't done out of malice, the developers and especially the localization team should have caught this.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty indefensible. I assume like in past threads white people have already said black people shouldn't be offended, or that because some black people aren't offended, others shouldn't be.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's much more suspect when they choose the one of the four black alts in a game of almost 600 options.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah couldn't believe it when I came across this.

I get you can argue why they made the choice, for example DK being in Punch Out!, but that's a real shitty excuse when they could have done anything else. At some point someone should have gone "Yeah you know what, representing black people with literal monkeys isn't a good idea".

Hopefully Nintendo apologises and makes changes like they did with the Game and Watch issue because it's really not acceptable.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

The issue is that they picked the only male villager skin that was black. If they picked a black character in a game with better PoC representation it wouldn't be as much as an issue. I don't think it was intentional, but if it was they would have had to go out of their way to have that skin on that character represent that spirit. That's why this is problematic.

And for the record, yes, I do know how racist that argument is, and the answer is 0% racist. It's also not an argument anyone is making. It's perfectly fine to have criminals of any background, making ALL of them the same background is the issue. No one is arguing all thieves in all media need to be white.

Nov 17, 2017

Sigh...

I find it interesting that you only listen to the POC saying it's not an issue and value their opinion over the ones who say it is. Your comment isn't an original one, everytime a race issue comes up someone puts a magnifying glass on the POC who doesn't think it's a problem to dismiss the whole thing.

You don't have to be offended for anyone but don't pull this kind of BS to downplay the issue. If it's not your job, then just don't say anything.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that they picked the only male villager skin that was black. If they picked a black character in a game with better PoC representation it wouldn't be as much as an issue. I don't think it was intentional, but if it was they would have had to go out of their way to have that skin on that character represent that spirit. That's why this is problematic.

And for the record, yes, I do know how racist that argument is, and the answer is 0% racist. It's also not an argument anyone is making. It's perfectly fine to have criminals of any background, making ALL of them the same background is the issue. No one is arguing all thieves in all media need to be white.
The alt was originally light skinned, even at e3. They changed two alts at the last second to dark skinned, so it was used for the spirit battle. When they picked the alt, they did it because the clothes colors matched.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason people in this thread were getting banned for the quite apparent double standard applied to bans when shit like this happens compared to LGBT topics? Or is there something I missed?

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody is saying that. You can have a black thief; the problem is, that that is often the only black representation you will see. A negative portrayal. In the case of a white thief, you have a bunch of nuanced white representation to balance that. Your comparison also ignores how those portrayals have negative consequence on us in real life too. Fuck South Park, btw.

Nov 17, 2017
It doesn't matter what the intent was.
Thank you. People seem to not get this. Whether it was intentional or not, it should not have been in the game. It should definitely had been caught before release.

Nintendo's Treehouse should have definitely caught this. Judging by their streams they have PoC who work on the games. Not that you have to be PoC to notice something so glaring.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't choose that alt though, because it wasn't black when they made the spirit battle.
We don't know when the character was chose for the spirit. And honestly you could make a pretty good argument for half of the villagers representing Tac, not just the black one.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The alt was originally light skinned, even at e3. They changed two alts at the last second to dark skinned, so it was used for the spirit battle. When they picked the alt, they did it because the clothes colors matched.

I know. The person I was quoting did not seem to understand why having a black thief was a bad thing. I'm in the camp of this being accidental, but some people aren't seeing the issues at the heart of the debate, whether it's accidental or not.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know when the character was chose for the spirit. And honestly you could make a pretty good argument for half of the villagers representing Tac, not just the black one.
They definitely made that spirit battle before they changed the skin tone, the dark skin alts were just made a few months ago. Tac has a black robe and purple ears. He steals stuff. So they picked the villager with black pants and purple shirt. It's just accidental that they then later made that villager alt dark skin.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
It's hard to believe it was a mistake since before the release they already had an the same issue with the fire attack.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
DK being Mr. Sandman actually does make enough sense, since they're both end bosses for Punch Out Wii, and there's already a good chunk of Punch Out spirits (including Doc Louis) represented by Mac already.

The other two, I've got nothing, especially Deejay, though really no one in the roster fits him.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
DK being Mr. Sandman actually does make enough sense, since they're both end bosses for Punch Out Wii, and there's already a good chunk of Punch Out spirits (including Doc Louis) represented by Mac already.
I don't understand this excuse. What is one more Punch Out spirit represented by Little Mac going to do? How is that a worse scenario than this?