• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but I'm sure people would find a way to complain about it somehow!

Balrog's spirit fighter is Little Mac in the game, which no one is complaining about. Now there's something to be said about Nintendo's overall lack of diversity when it comes to PoC, but that's a separate issue.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
ITT, nobody realises that Mr Sandman is the final boss of Punchout Arcade and that DK is the final boss of Punchout Wii (hence the connection)

Also Villager was chosen for Tac because he steals your items and projectiles (while Tac steals your copy abilities in the actual Kirby games). They chose black villager because Tac wears black clothing.

DufxpsDU0AAtth6.png

This one is an unfortunate miss though, they obviously just forgot to remove the feather (since they removed it from the G&W character himself)

Oh we realize. Doesn't make it not an issue though if that was even the intent to begin with.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is somehow celebrated as this meticulously detailed developer who knows every intricacy about his games and is somehow conveniently oblivious to the racist parts.

Considering how oblivious/insensitive Japan is as a whole to racism, yes I can very easily see that.

But again, doesn't matter since they should patch this regardless.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
These particular ones are representative of racist imagery, just because others are not doesn't mean these ones are not. Just because they are being called racist doesn't mean the whole game or dev team is racist. It reflects a casual racism, as in people either not caring or not being aware that they are propagating racial stereotypes unintentionally. Thus the term racist is an accurate description. The word isn't solely for describing neo-nazis and the KKK or specifically malicious racism with the intent to denegrate others.

I kind of feel it should be though, and this topic is an example of why. It weakens the word and kind of wrecks discussions when everything racially insensitive is described as "racist" when there are far too many actual malicious racist people in the world.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The depiction of black people as monkeys is simply tone death?

Yeah okay, I see where you sit, I'm wasting my time.
Yea, because they weren't made as those spirits to depict black people as monkeys. They were made to be references, that unfortunately end up being unintentional racist depictions. That's the defintion of tone deaf.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I am sure I came across other "negative" spirits (similar to Tac the thief) that aren't represented by black characters? Not that I am saying the examples from OP are ok, but I don't think we should only select those few ones and pin point at them and call the game racist against certain race.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure I came across other "negative" characters (similar to Tac the thief) that aren't represented by black characters? Not that I am saying the examples from OP are ok, but I don't think we should only select those few ones and pin point at them and call the game racist against certain race.
Whataboutism

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, please remove the Fire Attack Picture as it's old news:

DvNGRxOV4AA8dVp

ITT, nobody realises that Mr Sandman is the final boss of Punchout Arcade and that DK is the final boss of Punchout Wii (hence the connection)

Also Villager was chosen for Tac because he steals your items and projectiles (while Tac steals your copy abilities in the actual Kirby games). They chose black villager because Tac wears black clothing.

DufxpsDU0AAtth6.png

This one is an unfortunate miss though, they obviously just forgot to remove the feather (since they removed it from the G&W character himself)

Changed Spirit as well.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel it should be though, and this topic is an example of why. It weakens the word to describe everything racially insensitive as "racist" when there are far too many actual malicious racist people in the world.

You can be racist without being outright malicious or meaning to be. In fact, that's one of the issues I see time and time again, where for a lot of people, it doesn't count as racism unless it's super blatantly evil.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

DufxpsDU0AAtth6.png

Why was Donkey Kong the final boss in Punch Out Wii?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I kind of feel it should be though, and this topic is an example of why. It weakens the word to describe everything racially insensitive as "racist" when there are far too many actual malicious racist people in the world.
This just sounds a way of people not wanting to feel bad for doing bigoted acts. Just cus a person isn't being malicious about it (or aware of it) does not mean it's not a bigoted act nor that the impact on the victim is any lessoned. People need to own their shit and get better.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're so afraid of hearing the word racist that you're not even listening to minorities that know what racism is. No matter how hard y'all try to make it so, racism isn't just burning crosses and KKK shit.

Racism can come in many forms.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, because they weren't made as those spirits to depict black people as monkeys. They were made to be references, that unfortunately end up being unintentional racist depictions. That's the defintion of tone deaf.

It's funny how regular ass people on this board can put 2 and 2 together that black character depicted as monkey is an automatic no but the entirety of Nintendo some how cannot. But it's tone deaf and purely accidental not racist just a mistake. Some of yall will do anything to defend this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

DufxpsDU0AAtth6.png

I think most of us get why they did it, its
Just the optics are not good and it's definitely tone deaf. I don't think all of us is saying sakurai is racist.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Tac-Villager thing was brought up once before, but it sadly didn't gain any traction. Hopefully that changes this time.

Getting baited was pretty much one reason why it didn't gain traction. That and it being part of the leak thread put it on ice for some time, even though there was intention to create a thread on it.

Granted considering the extra spirits listed in this thread that was found after launch was probably the more beneficial move.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's bad enough that Japan continues to be oblivious to how offensive and outright damaging this sort of shit is to us people of colour, what makes it worse is that for some reason neither NoE or NoA picked up on it/seemed to care enough to do anything.

C'mon, son.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I know people have complained many, many times about the usage of "yikes"... I know it was a popular pick in that gamer phrases that should die thread... but...

Fucking yikes!

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I mean Diddy has this animation in Donkey Kong Country:
tumblr_inline_phblcabKSB1rw59pj_1280.gif

And I don't really know about Street Fighter but based on the name, the association between a character named Dee Jay and a character who has a boombox makes sense to me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel it should be though, and this topic is an example of why. It weakens the word and kind of wrecks discussions when everything racially insensitive is described as "racist" when there are far too many actual malicious racist people in the world.

How else should we describe these then? At face value we have no idea of intent, all we can see are multiple instances of known stereotypical racism. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it was not. There is no better word to describe what is in the OP in my opinion.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
You're so afraid of hearing the word racist that you're not even listening to minorities that know what racism is. No matter how hard y'all try to make it so, racism isn't just burning crosses and KKK shit.

Racism can come in many forms.

But these two things are wildly different. That's the problem. Racially insensitive acts are racist, that's fine. Is there another word that I should be using to describe KKK shit?

Besides evil. True, but not specific enough.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Seems more neglect than malice. Surprise that wasn't caught in localization. Nintendo swiftly patched Mr. Game and Watch.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling and platform wars, accumulated infractions
Glad I didn't spend money to support this trash. Not surprised people turning a blind eye. Really says a lot about Nintendo and some of their fans.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Whether deliberate or not is irrelevant; this shit perpetuates some racist stereotypes and they have to go. It's 100% on Nintendo.

I will be surprised if Nintendo actually does anything to address it. Unless their bottomline takes a hit or their fans in Japan make it an issue, I can see them just shrugging it off as Westerners being upset. Hell, they still do blackface here and do not understand why thats wrong.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will be surprised if Nintendo actually does anything to address it. Unless their bottomline takes a hit or their fans in Japan make it an issue, I can see them just shrugging it off as Westerners being upset. Hell, they still do blackface here and do not understand why thats wrong.

i dont understand these kind of posts, when they removed the feather from mr game and watch

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Jesus... certainly those first two would have been better represented by Ryu and Little Mac, respectively? Super shitty to have the Kongs as the representatives for those fights.
Donkey Kong is the "superboss"/final boss of Punch Out Wii. It makes sense, despite the negative context of the topic.

The other two though, yikes. Not a good look.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The Sandman/DK thing didn't register for me because of the Punchout connection (final bosses) but in with the rest of it, it's definitely not a good look, be better than this Nintendo

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Between this obviously racist nonsense and the sexualised depictions of minors in the Xenoblade series, I feel increasingly alienated by Nintendo. One more incident on this level and I am done with them. NOA/Treehouse need be given a veto to police this because it's obvious NCL themselves are utterly clueless if I am being charitable or at worst, really awful people.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be too sure. They were quick to address Mr. Game & Watch's side smash.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why was Donkey Kong the final boss in Punch Out Wii?

Because punching out women is weird:

https://kotaku.com/5320198/punch-out-devs-talk-graphics-difficulty-nixed-princess-peach-idea

Credit for the inclusion of a certain famous Nintendo character as an opponent, however, came from an executive at Nintendo of America, with support from Next Level. Tanabe revealed to Kotaku that he had a different idea for who to include from Nintendo's library of icons: "Princess Peach, but the thought of punching women out made me give up my idea."

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems more neglect than malice. Surprise that wasn't caught in localization. Nintendo swiftly patched Mr. Game and Watch.
Don't make excuses for them. As if it's just a coincidence the black characters were matched with the apes and there wasn't any deliberation on Nintendo's part. This is as blatant as racism gets.