• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm also in the "DK as Mr. Sandman could have been made without any racial bias because Punch-Out!! connections but Diddy as Deejay seems too far" group. I mean, I could even see myself giving the former a mild, passing defense if his Final Smash came into play as part of the fight, since DK's pummel could be seen as an approximation of Mr. Sandman's Dreamland Express move.

But uh... nothing about Tac is purple. And there is a yellow-black shirted Villager costume. There's absolutely no defending the choice of Villager alt there.
Again, that Villager wasn't black as of the E3 build. Should they change it, certainly. But as I've been saying, I can understand why Tac's situation resulted in the way it did.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are people serious with "DK is ok tho". Like fucking use Little Mac. He's the one from Punch Out. You can make him bigger. Jesus fucking Christ.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Racism
Not surprised. Japanese culture is straight up fucked.

All of the pro this progressive folks on here just handwave it. Black people shouldnt be the only ones calling it out yall see it to.. say something!
I try every thread I can my man. Also to your post about Bayo, that's what happens when people only pretend to be progressive and are actually just libs with no spine. Feels bad.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love how all of a sudden Smash isn't made by Nintendo when problematic racist shit appears in their games. Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest games I don't give a shit who actually "made it" it's up to them to make sure this shit doesn't happen.

I haven't even touched that mode yet, but seeing this bullshit makes me not even want to play it until it gets fixed. 2018 and black people still get equated with monkeys. Like wtf man.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also in the "DK as Mr. Sandman could have been made without any racial bias because Punch-Out!! connections but Diddy as Deejay seems too far" group. I mean, I could even see myself giving the former a mild, passing defense if his Final Smash came into play as part of the fight, since DK's pummel could be seen as an approximation of Mr. Sandman's Dreamland Express move.

But uh... nothing about Tac is purple. And there is a yellow-black shirted Villager costume. There's absolutely no defending the choice of Villager alt there.
The ears are purple, and they picked the villager that wears dark clothes, which makes sense. Tac is a thief. The issue is that they added the dark skin later.

Oct 27, 2017
Spring Man is only the main character in the vaguest way possible though. Again, it's not as though he's iconic or important to his series as, say, Ryu.

Granted, if we're talking about a new Smash game, I can see both of them getting in. But if Nintendo decides to promote Arms via DLC, Twintelle is by far the superior marketing choice.

ARMS-Nintendo-Switch-characters-and-abilities-246023.jpg

408056-arms-nintendo-switch-front-cover.png

It's not vague at all. He's the main character the same way Ryu is to Street fighter. The only difference is this isn't Street Fighter, it's Arms lol. But what I can see happening though is Twintelle getting in as the second character over Ribbon Girl, due to being more popular. Hopefully they don't prove me wrong :( Ribbon Girl did get a Mii costume where Twintelle didn't...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No I meant "are." It's hard for me to tell if people are really bothered by this or is it a case of being outraged by proxy of an idea. I get how it potentially could be perceived but I'm asking if someone is actually offended. This doesn't move my needle as I have other fronts to fight on but that doesn't mean dismiss it as outrage syndrome. (That is often my initial reaction)

Oh, ok. We're of similar minds then.

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime there has been a thread on "Representation in Smash Bros. / Nintendo Games" on ResetEra, NeoGAF, or anywhere else, you'll see the common responses of Donkey Kong, Goomba, or Black Yoshi. Like clockwork.

Yes people here. And dont a damn thing happen to them. Post in a Bayonetta thread with how you're fine with her character and you get banned for "excusing sexualization" post a donkey kong for being black and you get warned.

Man, this shit is messed up.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of sudden? I always give credits to the developers of those games instead of the publishers regardless if it's a bad or a good thing. Nintendo didn't develop Smash Bros, never did. If it was developed internally by Nintendo EPD, I would say that it came from them, but it wasn't.

It's a fact that this came from Sora and Bandai Namco which are the developers of the game. Nintendo is only the publisher and they are as well responsible for not telling to change but Nintendo didn't develop this game.
Ok i'll go with you and say that both Bamco and Nintendo are to blame here. But they both get equal blame and not just NOA or NOE but Nintendo as a whole as well as Bamco.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
The "main character" of Arms is the worst in the game by far, it's such a shame that the IP has toi be represented by him. ANY other characters would be better (though Ribbon Girl, who's like the second main character, is also the worst girl)

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Tac is a thief, and Villager's gimmick is pocketing items.

Mr. Sandman and DK are both super heavyweight punchers. DK is literally a Punch-Out!! boss, too.

Dee Jay and Diddy Kong are both fun-loving musicians with acrobatic kicks. This particular Spirit Battle focuses on Diddy's kicks.
This. Villager is probably in his black alt because of Tac's attire.

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully someone starts a twitter campaign to get this changed and to force Nintendo to stop selling games that sexualize minors.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
they used little mac for many punch out spirits.

Mr. Sandman is the penultimate challenge in Punch-Out on NES, and Donkey Kong is the penultimate challenge in the Wii game. When I saw they linked these two for the fight, I immediately saw it as a reference to that. The color change on DK is based on his more NES inspired skin tone, which I imagine is trying to further the link.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The "main character" of Arms is the worst in the game by far, it's such a shame that the IP has to be represented by him. ANY other characters would be better (though Ribbon Girl, who's like the second main character, is also the worst girl)
Spring Man isn't even that bad of a main character. I even did a whole thread analyzing his design & comparing him to other fighting game MCs that succeeded (Ryu) & failed (Liu King) to be the face of their respective IPs.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This. Villager is probably in his black alt because of Tac's attire.

It's also common to make changes to things if it's ill-suited for a global audiences. As much as it would be good manners to learn social customs/norms of other countries, this is a matter that also poorly reflects some of the ugly and detrimental struggles with racism/stereotyping in NA.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely questionable. If it isn't indirectly or directly racist, it's surely at the bare minimum ill thought out, crass or tasteless?

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I like how to try to find justification in something that's both racist and not true.

I highly doubt it was done w/ intention. Its bad for sure but I am pretty sure it never went beyond "Oh Sandman is big and strong...so is DK" or "DeeJay does kicks and cartwheels....so does Diddy". Its a bad look but you have to remember that there aren't many black people in Japan and thus they often overlook shit like this...that doesn't automatically mean they are mean spirited pieces of shit tho.

so yeah in this specific circumstance, there is a justification for it. DK is generally used as the proxy for many big bodies. While yeah in this spot they should have just used a giant Mac instead but I don't think there was any ill intent involved. I think that they should alter it tho. (Not sure how you alter the deejay one tho)

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I questioned it when I came across these too. There are a lot of black spirits without these problems, fortunately. Villager at least should be an easy patch out.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt it was done w/ intention. Its bad for sure but I am pretty sure it never went beyond "Oh Sandman is big and strong...so is DK" or "DeeJay does kicks and cartwheels....so does Diddy". Its a bad look but you have to remember that there aren't many black people in Japan and thus they often overlook shit like this...that doesn't automatically mean they are mean spirited pieces of shit tho.

so yeah in this specific circumstance, there is a justification for it. DK is generally used as the proxy for many big bodies. While yeah in this spot they should have just used a giant Mac instead but I don't think there was any ill intent involved. I think that they should alter it tho. (Not sure how you alter the deejay one tho)
Dk is a reference to dk being a next to final boss in punchout wii.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on making a thread about the mr Sandman one. Really tasteless stuff by Nintendo.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah the Donkey Kong and Diddy pairings really stood out to me while I was playing the game.

In a vacuum oh Donkey Kong is strong whatever, but in the actual world and considering history. God. Damn.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The "main character" of Arms is the worst in the game by far, it's such a shame that the IP has toi be represented by him. ANY other characters would be better (though Ribbon Girl, who's like the second main character, is also the worst girl)

It's like they specifically chose the most generic characters to be the faces of the series.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They only commented on the feather for Mr. Game & Watch's side smash, which was promptly fixed in the Day 1 patch. However, they have yet to comment on the others......hopefully they get on that ASAP.

It was commented on due to it being found in public demos.

Villager was found in the leaks, and the rest were noticed after launch. It's why they were ready for Game and Watch

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Donkey Kong and Diddy pairings really stood out to me while I was playing the game.

In a vacuum oh Donkey Kong is strong whatever, but in the actual world and considering history. God. Damn.
It's not because of him being strong, it's because he is a final boss in punchout wii.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Dk is a reference to dk being a next to final boss in punchout wii.

Representing black people as monkeys does not need any defense or justification. Like I don't fucking gt some of you and your explanations. I legit was playing spirits and was sitting their like "yo what the fuck is this bullshit". Your Punchout Wii (great game though) explanation does not soften any of this shit

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Mr. Sandman is the penultimate challenge in Punch-Out on NES, and Donkey Kong is the penultimate challenge in the Wii game. When I saw they linked these two for the fight, I immediately saw it as a reference to that. The color change on DK is based on his more NES inspired skin tone, which I imagine is trying to further the link.

This is how I took it as well, since I beat the Wii game. Still this stuff does seem a bit too coincidental, I mean people have to deliberately put these things in. I'm sure someone noticed.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of "young blood" on Nintendo as they contract new people out of universities every year and many people in high positions are new or younger. In fact, the very franchise that you mentioned with Animal Crossing have a woman producer that work on the franchise since the wii and she has like 35 years.
This is all very well and good, but they let slip an Animal Crossing game in 2013 that still didn't allow us to choose skin colour. 2013. I repeat, 2013.